It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Sadr militia ready for attacks against US troops if US doesn't leave Iraq as scheduled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
This could get ugly fast...

Hopefully, America will finally leave Iraq... since both Iraqis and Americans want America out of there. Otherwise, prepare for an ``Iraq surge``.

Sadr supporters ready for attacks on US troops

Supporters of Shiite radical leader Moqtada al-Sadr have offered to carry out suicide attacks against US troops in Iraq, his office said Saturday, as a year-end deadline for a US pullout looms.

In April, Sadr threatened to reactivate the Mahdi Army, which he formally disbanded in 2008, if US forces do not withdraw at the end of the year as scheduled under the terms of a bilateral security pact.

Nearly 50,000 American troops are still in Iraq, down from a peak of more than 170,000 after the invasion of 2003.

US officials have repeatedly asked Baghdad if it wants some troops to stay beyond 2011, but threats and pressure from Sadr have made calling for an extension a difficult decision for Iraqi leaders.

And they are not just a little militia...

Before it was disbanded, the militia numbered some 60,000 fighters with fierce loyalty to Sadr.

And Al Sadr is very close to Iran.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
If the US made a promise to get out, then they should just keep that promise.

As for the threat, well there is more than one way to skin a cat.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Why is it always suicide attacks with these guys? What honor is there in blowing people up in their sleep?
I agree the US needs to keep their promise and turn the country over to it's people but threatening them with acts of terrorism is the wrong way to get it done. Right now a majority of US citizens want us out of Iraq, if they pull an attack like that public opinion will swing the other way rather quickly.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
Why is it always suicide attacks with these guys?

They would gladly trade their suicide vests for modern weaponry such a drones and hellfire missiles.

Suicide attackers are brave and there is no denying that. All of the insurgents are.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

I have to agree with the above response. I would argue that "suicide attacks" are clearly acts of desperation. If these people were armed with B-52s, battleships, aircraft carriers, cruise missiles, drone bombers, Stealth fighters, F-16s, tanks, humvees, EMP weapons, sonic cannons, microwave guns, etc., you would never see a "suicide attack".

Which is why, to your other point, I have to wonder why they dont take a different position. If I were in their place, I would simply say something like, "look, we are a poor simple people, we dont have sophisticated weaponry, we dont have proper health care or education, our country has been the target of your bombings since 1991 and your installed dictator prior to that...please, just leave us alone, just leave our country...but if you continue to stay, we will fight because we have no other choice."

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Nearly 50,000 American troops are still in Iraq, down from a peak of more than 170,000 after the invasion of 2003.
Wow I had no clue that we had so many troops there in 2003. It's funny how from many Americans perspectives us going in there was noble and justified, but to them it's an "invasion".

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I am 100% sure that would not work at all.

Asking them to leave isn't gonna change crap. Now they are the bad guys cause they fought back against the people who invaded them.

What would any of us do if this happened to our country?
edit on 26-6-2011 by binomialtheorem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

Want to see some big numbers? Then google the amount of mercenaries over there right now....

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

According to this article there are over 250,000 mercenaries in Iraq and Afghanistan. And that article is from 2009, I bet that number has only gone up.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

They would gladly trade their suicide vests for modern weaponry such a drones and hellfire missiles.

Suicide attackers are brave and there is no denying that. All of the insurgents are.

Suicide bombers are brave???

Are you serious??
No, the brave soldiers stands and fights.
The coward kills themselves.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Exuberant1

According to this article there are over 250,000 mercenaries in Iraq and Afghanistan. And that article is from 2009, I bet that number has only gone up.

Actually no. The numbers are either flat if not fallen.
The pay has fallen as well, as most PMC companies are focusing efforts elsewhere.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I understand the need for propaganda and have an appreciation for it, but we should take the time to indulge ourselves in reality while we are here.

Imagine you are in a vehicle that can withstand multiple RPG strikes with a 50cal fighting guys with rpgs and small arms. You have drones overhead and air support you can call in whenever you need to lay waste to an area. You also have artillery and mortar support.

Now imagine you are a guy with an AK and you are fighting against a convoy of killing machines armed with multiple machine guns, 40mm grenade launcher, drone coverage, air support and artillery support. You have bad eyesight and your ammo is crap soviet vintage.

It is not difficult to see who is the more brave here. I know it is satisfying to give in and repeat the propaganda, but you should take the time to employ some logic free of state-induced emotions. this will allow you to better analyze matters of war.

Suicide attacks are an act of desperation. Almost any suicide bomber would rather call in an airstrike.

And as we know from our propaganda, victims of an airstrikes are not 'slaughtered innocents' they are 'collateral damage'.

Regarding you notion of real soldiers stand and fight. You mean fight to the death?

Well that would be a suicide. And if they are attacking, it is a suicide attack. Just so you know.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

reply to post by macman

I understand the need for propaganda and have an appreciation for it, but we should take the time to indulge ourselves in reality while we are here.

Imagine you are in a vehicle that can withstand multiple RPG strikes with a 50cal fighting guys with rpgs and small arms. You have drones overhead and air support you can call in whenever you need to lay waste to an area. You also have artillery and mortar support.

Now imagine you are a guy with an AK and you are fighting against a convoy of killing machines armed with multiple machine guns, 40mm grenade launcher, drone coverage, air support and artillery support. You have bad eyesight and your ammo is crap soviet vintage.

It is not difficult to see who is the more brave here. I know it is satisfying to give in and repeat the propaganda, but you should take the time to employ some logic free of state-induced emotions. this will allow you to better analyze matters of war.

Suicide attacks are an act of desperation. Almost any suicide bomber would rather call in an airstrike.

And as we know from our propaganda, victims of an airstrikes are not 'slaughtered innocents' they are 'collateral damage'.

Regarding you notion of real soldiers stand and fight. You mean fight to the death?

Well that would be a suicide. And if they are attacking, it is a suicide attack. Just so you know.

I don't need to read the retort to know where you are trying to go with this.

Suicide either way is a cowards way.
Lets not forget the courageous "Freedom Fighters" that sends the mentally ill, the children doped up and those that are weak in the mind and lead to believe that they need to do this for Allah.

Yeah, real heroes

edit on 26-6-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman

I get that bro. I dig the propaganda. That's what I'm saying.

We've got millions of people thinking it is the cowards way, even when it is actually an efficient means of attacking a technologically superior enemy.

Same for suicide squads using smalls arms; they are an effective tool in the guerrilla arsenal when it comes to engaging a superior foe.

But luckily with the Christian West, we can use propaganda to make people not think about the real reasons suicide attacks are used. Kamikazes scared people back home during the war, just the concept of it. And you didn't hear anyone calling Kamikaze pilots cowards; they were the Fanatics, the bravest of the Jap's aerial horde.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I get that bro. I dig the propaganda. That's what I'm saying.

We've got millions of people thinking it is the cowards way, even when it is actually an efficient means of attacking a technologically superior enemy.

Same for suicide squads using smalls arms; they are an effective tool in the guerrilla arsenal when it comes to engaging a superior foe.

But luckily with the Christian West, we can use propaganda to make people not think about the real reasons suicide attacks are used. Kamikazes scared people back home during the war, just the concept of it. And you didn't hear anyone calling Kamikaze pilots cowards; they were the Fanatics, the bravest of the Jap's aerial horde.

Oh come on. It has nothing to do with propaganda.
It is the cowards way out.
The Kamikaze flyers working under the Devin Wind were cowards as well.
Is it a threat? Yes.
Does it have some success? Yes.
There is no Honor or Bravery in killing yourself, as it ends the fear of continuing the fight.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

There is no Honor or Bravery in killing yourself, as it ends the fear of continuing the fight.

Fighting to the death in defense of your fellows is in keeping with the highest traditions of military service.

Except when referring to the enemy, amiright? I'm right.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

That's a very slippery thing to say. The fact is that 'Honor' and 'Bravery' are weighed on different scales by different people. I think the 'fear of continuing the fight' would, in my opinion, be outweighed by the fear of the imminent separation of my limbs from my trunk...perhaps that's just the brave American in me.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Fighting to the death in defense of your fellows is in keeping with the highest traditions of military service.

Except when referring to the enemy, amiright? I'm right.

To compare the 2 is naive and apples to oranges.
There is no honor in strapping a bomb to your chest, running at someone and detonating.
To fight to the end is just that.
What you suggest is to work to your end in a fight.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

There is no honor in strapping a bomb to your chest, running at someone and detonating.
To fight to the end is just that.

That is what we say.

And when the suicide bombers attack innocent civilians, we are right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join