It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tipping.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
i don't know if this is a conspiracy, but it seems to me tipping was invented by business owners to get people to pay their employee's salary.

this is especially true with large chain restaurants that deliver. why should i have to pay the salary for an employee you hired and works for you.

it is also unethical to try to make people feel bad, or make me responsible for his lively hood.

if you can't or won't handle the extra costs of offering a service that expands your business, then don't offer it.

if you do, then charge an appropriate delivery fee that would actually cover all aspects of a service. not keep it for yourself as a profit, while i pay for your employee.

this is especially true for companies that pay their drivers sub minimum wage, and expect tips to cover his salary.

this playing on peoples social senses for profit has to stop. sometimes it seems like the driver is in on it.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Im with you on this.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stormofnight

Me, too. I liked it in Greece when I lived there and the only tip that was considered was just leaving the extra coin change on the table.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I tip servers .

I have worked in that industry, the owners are rich, the workers make min wages.

I will tip if my server try's in thier way to make my experience a "better" one...

And on the same token, if they make it misserable, then no tip I pay for what I came for food, necessaties, ect.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Tipping is catching on even in Asia.

My first time in Korea was an eye opener.

First time at an out door BBQ and we had a great time. The owner (an older lady) was very kind and the food was great. We left and I put a few dollars on the table. Walked about 2 blocks and heard this yelling behind us. The lady had chased us down for 2 blocks. Huffing and puffing, she walked up with a smile and handed my tip back. She thought I had forgot it and wanted to return it!

Needless to say, I closed her hand around it and the Korean with me told her that it was my custom and that I would be offended if she didn't accept it. She blushed, bowed and ran back the other way.

A few weeks later I was in the Foreign district and went for a beer near the American base. If I remember correctly, the beer was 4.25 and I gave a fiver. I was waiting for my change and she looked at me and said "Tip?" as she held up the bill. Expecting me to say "Keep the change". Wow! So near the American base and she learned fast. I was so angry that she actually asked for it that I said no and held out my hand for the change.

She didn't look at me for the rest of the night and would walk away when I approached the bar for another beer.

Ah well...that's my story.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I don't think there's any conspiracy, when it comes to tipping...I woulda thought it first started out of pure "generosity" for the "lower-paid" workers?

Anyway, I try to time all the time when I can. Something has to be really bad or wrong for me to not tip though...It's happened on occasion, in the past.
edit on 25-6-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Make your own dinner then, and you wont have to pay a thing.

Dealing with tightwad people like you is the reason most delivery and waiting jobs are performed by teenagers and single mothers! Keep up the spirit of brotherhood, hope it comes back to you, tenfold!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Depending where you live, those tips are WAY overkill. I used to live in a college town, and the delivery drivers for Dominos had some of the nicest cars in the city. One guy even had a brand new Cadillac, all pimped out with the huge rims and gold trim.

Seeing a Dominos delivery sign on top of that car was a HUGE "wtf?" moment for sure. I guess drunk college kids tip well.

Reminds me of this awesome scene from Reservoir Dogs. Strong language in the vid.

edit on 6/25/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Lol, you are so blazé in your comment.

I like that.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta
One guy even had a brand new Cadillac, all pimped out with the huge rims and gold trim.

Seeing a Dominos delivery sign on top of that car was a HUGE "wtf?" moment for sure. I guess drunk college kids tip well.

I bet he wasn't just delivering pizzas and the colledge kids weren't just drunk.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

(;
My boyfriend delivers for Dominos!
I think people tip because its the polite thing to do after someone spent their own personal gas driving you your food. Its just polite! however I do agree that the employers should cover a little more of their employees expenses on the job. Sometimes it just isn't enough.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You go right ahead and be a skinflint.

Me, I’ll just keep on tipping. Generously. I enjoy being remembered by waiters and getting preferential treatment from them. I like being greeted with a smile, while you’re having your soup spat into.

Besides, I used to be a bartender once.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I will tip, but it is not automatic. The tip must be earned, Pizza drivers who get my pizza to me while it is still steaming hot, tip. Luke warm? take it back and bring me another. I do not tip at buffet restaurants, what do they do for it? At a regular restaurant it all depends on the server and how she did. Oh, I do not tip male waiters. I am a sexist in that way. Don't like it? I don't care.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I generally tip if the service is good

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

The tip must be earned, Pizza drivers who get my pizza to me while it is still steaming hot, tip. Luke warm? take it back and bring me another. I do not tip at buffet restaurants, what do they do for it? At a regular restaurant it all depends on the server and how she did. Oh, I do not tip male waiters. I am a sexist in that way. Don't like it? I don't care.

It’s certainly true that some people hugely enjoy exerting the petty, fleeting power they enjoy over the person who serves them their food and drink in a restaurant.

Of course, it may be the only power they ever get to wield in their feeble, impotent lives, so perhaps we should not begrudge them their moment of exaltation. Although the harmless, harrassed, overworked waiter or waitress who is obliged to witness politely their pathetic chest-beating primate status displays may be excused for thinking ‘what a @%$%^.’

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I generally tip good 20%-25%
Unless money is real tight,but then I don't go out to eat if that is the case.Or I get very poor service.
edit on 27-6-2011 by KaiserSouszay because: inbed

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

If you can't afford to tip someone, I suggest you keep yourself to the McDonald styled restaurants.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The purpose of a "gratuity" is probably better expressed when a patron has the opportunity to size it proportionately to the quality of his or her enjoyment. Not when it's a percentage added to the bill by written or unwritten convention.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Belcultassi

I agree, where my boyfriend works, they don't add in a tip automatically its up to the customer.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I kind of agree. Tipping is described as a "gratuity", and it should be exactly that -- something you use to express your gratitude. Restaurants should be paying their employees much more -- more than minimum wage, at least.

Please, though, don't stop tipping just yet. That's not going to get the message across to the establishment. it's only going to hurt your servers, bartenders, and cab drivers.

new topics

top topics

join