It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News.. Brownsville Levee Near Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska Just Broke! Here We Go !!!!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
www.greatfallstribune.com... well%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cs" target="_blank" class="postlink">www.greatfallstribune.com... yssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFrontpage%7Cs

So this is what I have. Sorry if it is repeat. It seems the plant is actually in better shape (for the moment) due to the levee failure. I am surprised we aren't hearing: "They blew the levee to save the plant". Given the information that seems more likely than the USA about to suffer catastrophic nuclear failure that appears to be so popular.

I am not saying that the situation is ideal. I am not saying that there is not cause for concern. I am a big fan of wind power! But, for now, some of the reaction strikes me as over the top.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

Good Find! I guess we'll have to wait to hear more unless people in the area let us know what's going on. Thanks for posting that info on the upcoming visit.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Odd Letter From Corps Upsets Property Owners

Some Say Corps Flooded Land To Drive Down Prices

POSTED: 5:23 pm CDT June 23, 2011
UPDATED: 6:30 pm CDT June 23, 2011

Email Print
Comments
(21)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Some river bottom property owners say they received a letter from the Army Corps of Engineers' Kansas City district office asking them if they want to sell their land.
KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reported that the letter is angering some of the people who received it because some of them are fighting for their land from a flood they believe the Corps caused.
The letter reads: "The Corps is currently seeking willing sellers." It is part of a 15-year-old corps plan to buy up river property or obtain easements.
The Corps wants the property to enhance wildlife areas for species like the pallid sturgeon -- an endangered fish the corps considers when managing the river.
But to some critics of the corps, it proves their suspicions.
"And this just further proves the Corps is going after property just they can save some endangered species," said Bruce Biermann, who received the letter from the Corps.
"We clearly understand this may appear insensitive to some folks who are fighting the flood. It should not have gone out at this time, but it did," said Jud Kneuvean of the Army Corps of Engineers.
Kneuvean said this may be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left was doing. But Mahoney reported that some people believe the Corps deliberately released massive amounts of water in hopes of driving down the sales price on flooded ground.
"We'd never tie the two together. This has nothing to do with the Missouri River ecosystem," Kneuvean said.
The letter states this is part of a 1986 law that is aimed at replacing wildlife habitats that have been lost to things like construction, maintenance and operation of the river system.
The Corps is already catching lots of heat for the flooding, which it acknowledges is the result of its decision to release upstream water.

Read more: www.kmbc.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

Just something to keep in mind is that a lot of the posts here were from last night and early today. As more info comes out, we feel better too. (Except for the people who are sitting in shelters because their homes are gone!) Or like you said "for the moment". Still have to watch what's happening up stream from Canada and North Dakota, and the levees there. What happens up there could have a major impact on things farther down stream.

Thanks for the comments and updates. _javascript:icon('
') That's what we are looking for on this thread. We want the current or most up to date info on what is happening. Not just looking for OMG stuff. Just the facts! Stay Safe

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone as mentioned this yet, but you can get real-time (or close to it) information on the river and stream flow from the USGS WaterWatch site: waterwatch.usgs.gov...

It covers the entire US, or you can click on a state. You can roll over the dots and get data like from Brownville, NE:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d06cf16a867.jpg[/atsimg]

As of 15:30, the river at Brownville was at 43.00 ft. I think they plan to shut down the Cooper Nuclear Power Plant if it gets to 45.5 feet according to the Nebraska Public Power District (link: www.dailymail.co.uk...)

I think it's going to be a long weekend.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

Well you covered this in magnificent fashion OP. No Emmys on ATS but you are a part of what's becoming the
information revolution. I find a lot of pride in that and hope you do as well. SnF for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

It was the same age as Chernobyl and Fukushima, so yes, it wasn't a modern nuclear reactor.

And again, like I've said countless times before, not one person was killed by the Three Mile Island accident. The amount of radiation released was less than you'd receive from a commercial airline flight or a chest x-ray.

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Reality: No, it hasn't broke. It MAY break. But it has NOT broke. Stop the lies!

Greetings:

Perhaps this will interest you also:

Around 9:00 Thursday night, a large levee breach occurred at Brownville, Mo. three miles upstream from Nebraska's Cooper Nuclear Station, the atomic reactor identical twin to Fukushima Daiichi Units 1 to 4.

Mills County issued a mandatory evacuation order, are disconnecting power today, and say the General Electric Mark 1 Boiling Water Reactor of Cooper Nuclear Plant that has been under an "unusual event declaration," is not threatened. NRC Chairman is heading to the site.
source

And further:

“This is a large breach and water will be moving rapidly. Persons should stay out of this area if previously evacuated due to danger,” the Atchison County Emergency Management office said in a prepared statement.

Just on Fox News: (More trouble upstream.)

"Waters rising (Minot, ND) at 3"/hour and [color=limegreen]expected to keep rising and may not go down until mid-July..."

A levee three miles north of Brownville in Missouri failed at about 9 p.m. Thursday, right in front a pair of people patrolling there.

"It happened so quick that they were concerned that they may not be able to escape."

"The water was coming through fast and hard. …"

We're not sure what the size of the break is so far, reported Mark Manchester, deputy emergency management director for Atchison County, Mo., Thursday evening."
Lincoln Journal Star

Ignorance is bliss.

In Peace, Love & Light,

tfw

edit on 24/6/2011 by thorfourwinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

there was plans to blow the levee on the Missouri side of the river to save the plant but due to breech i guess they didn't have to unless they really did blow it and claim it was a breech

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just found this- not sure if it's been posted here before:

Levee Breaks North of Brownsville

It's a local cable news agency so I tend to think it's reliable.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Wow! Thanks for the compliment! That's Sooooo nice of you to say that about this thread. Like I said earlier on this thing, I started it initially when I heard the news, but I look at it as OUR thread. A thread with great contributions from many concerned people on ATS. I am honored to be among you guys and all the great posts. It just goes to show that you get more done when you work together for a common goal. In this case it's to keep people up on what is really happening in Nebraska and North Dakota. Stay Safe... and thanks again for being so nice! K

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

That is REALLY COOL! I go to USGS all the time, but NEVER saw that before! Thanks for the great contribution to this thread! Great Find!!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

its a levee on the Missouri side of the river
second line

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

You're welcome, it just went down a little to 42.97....

2nd
edit on 24-6-2011 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlue
Here's an email alert I just received from the NRC system :
***MEDIA ADVISORY***
NRC CHAIRMAN TO SEE FLOODING AND FLOODING PREPARATIONS AT COOPER AND FORT CALHOUN NUCLEAR PLANTS IN NEBRASKA; WILL HOLD MEDIA AVAILABILITY AFTERWARDS
NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko will observe Missouri River flooding and the flooding preparations made at two Nebraska nuclear power plants Sunday and Monday and then hold a media availability Monday afternoon in Omaha, Neb.
The media availability will be at 3 p.m. CDT Monday, June 27, at the offices of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Omaha, Neb. The office is located at 1616 Capitol Ave. in Omaha.
Chairman Jaczko will visit the Cooper nuclear power plant Sunday south of Omaha, and Monday morning will go to the Fort Calhoun plant east of Omaha. During both visits he will also be talking with NRC resident inspectors – the NRC personnel who work on-site every day – and to plant officials. An NRC inspection at Fort Calhoun two years ago indicated deficiencies in the flood preparation area, which the licensee has now remedied. Cooper is a Mark I GE boiling water reactor and Fort Calhoun is a Combustion Engineering pressurized water reactor.
All press spaces at each stop are taken. Pool video footage will be made available by KETV, the ABC News affiliate in Omaha, at 3:30 p.m. Sunday for Cooper and at 1 p.m., Monday for Fort Calhoun. For details please contact News Assignment Editor Jim Reding at (402) 978-8954, [email protected]. The print media pool will be distributed to the Omaha media via e-mail.
Arrangements are being made for a still photo pool.
During the Fort Calhoun stop the chairman will meet first with U.S. Army Corps of Engineers officials, then take a helicopter tour along the Missouri River to provide an overview of the flooding and measures being taken. Following the plant visit he will meet with executives of the Omaha Public Power District, then go to the Corps’ office for the media availability.
Reporters are encouraged to see the NRC Blog at:
public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov... and the most recent press release www.nrc.gov... for background on the flooding issue at Fort Calhoun.
NRC NEWS
U.S. NUCLEAR REGULATORY COMMISSION
Office of Public Affairs Telephone: 301/415-8200
Washington, D.C. 20555-0001
E-mail: [email protected] Site: www.nrc.gov
Blog: public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov...
June 24, 2011

Very good news!

It seems the internet has forced the Obama media blackout to collapse under its own weight.

The bloggers killed it? good work.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Papa Sierra

The timing of this letter coming out couldn't be worse. I can see why people who got the letter would be mad. If the govt really wanted it tho they would condemn it and say it was needed for a better purpose. I think they can still do that. If they get a lot of chemicals coming from upstream in the river, it may be a mute point anyway. Might be useless to everyone including wild life. Anyway, interesting find. Thanks for sharing it! Stay Safe

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It seems the internet has forced the Obama media blackout to collapse under its own weight.

now if they would come out and say they flooded it due to birds would be better

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
I don't know if anyone as mentioned this yet, but you can get real-time (or close to it) information on the river and stream flow from the USGS WaterWatch site: waterwatch.usgs.gov...

It covers the entire US, or you can click on a state. You can roll over the dots and get data like from Brownville, NE:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d06cf16a867.jpg[/atsimg]

As of 15:30, the river at Brownville was at 43.00 ft. I think they plan to shut down the Cooper Nuclear Power Plant if it gets to 45.5 feet according to the Nebraska Public Power District (link: www.dailymail.co.uk...)

I think it's going to be a long weekend.

Great tool Thanks for the link up.

The bad news is everything from Montana through the dakotas is at capacity or flood stage and moving south.

Since this is a 500 year flood they may need to think about blowing levees all the way down to slow the volume.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Generation III reactors have been operational since 1996 and not one person has ever been injured or hurt by one. Hundreds of people are injured and killed by wind turbines every year, and hundreds of coal miners are killed every year, and countless people die of lung cancer every year from air pollution.

Saying these reactors are more dangerous than current power sources is ignorant when you look at the facts.

Greetings:

OK, Since you seem reticent to supply facts to back up your assertions, here are some for your edification and enjoyment.

A generation III reactor is a development of any of the generation II nuclear reactor designs incorporating evolutionary improvements in design developed during the lifetime of the generation II reactor designs. These include improved fuel technology, superior thermal efficiency, passive safety systems and standardized design for reduced maintenance and capital costs.

Improvements in reactor technology result in a longer operational life (60 years of operation, extendable to 120+ years of operation prior to complete overhaul and reactor pressure vessel replacement) compared with currently used generation II reactors (designed for 40 years of operation, extendable to 80+ years of operation prior to complete overhaul and RPV replacement).

Furthermore, core damage frequencies for these reactors are lower than for Generation II reactors —

60 core damage events per 1000 million reactor–year for the EPR;

[color=limegreen]3 core damage events per 1000 million reactor–year for the ESBWR

significantly lower than the
10,000 core damage events per 1000 million reactor–year for BWR/4 generation II reactors.

Now, don't you feel a lot better? What kind of bravo sierra is this?

Is this what is referred to as acceptable collateral damage...?

The first generation III reactors were built in Japan, while several others have been approved for construction in Europe. A Westinghouse AP1000 reactor is scheduled to become operational in Sanmen, China in 2013.
source

That makes us feel a whole lot better.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Papa Sierra

now if they would come out and say they flooded it due to birds would be better

Seems the slave masters didn't study their own lessons.

The great Oz was outed by Toto.

They had no power at all once the bloggers started in. Sheer collapse.

Its the illusion. They dont have any power. Never did.

The Great O was outed by blogger's fear fantasy.

Click your heels Dorothy, were off.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I think I'm going to get me an RV! That way I can just go where the weather isn't terrible until it clears up where I want to be. Looking at the disasters all over the US and World right now, where would you go to set up a permanent structure? If it isn't destroyed already, a disaster may be coming to a city near you real soon! Thoughts and prayers to everybody! Boy I wish this would get better!

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join