It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why sex with creatures from the future might be a bad idea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

When time travel finally becomes possible, we might want to think twice about getting it on. According to a new study on tiny shrimp (Artemia franciscana), sex with partners from a different time could kill you. Researchers at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology (CEFE) in Montpellier, France, collected preserved brine shrimp eggs from various generations, and then reanimated them with water. Nicolas Rode and colleagues mated pairs of brine shrimp that had been reanimated from eggs preserved since 1985, 1996 and 2007, a period representing roughly 160 generations. They found that females that mated with males from the past or future died off sooner than those that mated with their own generation. The longer the time-shift, the earlier they died: The 22-year time difference shortened female lifetimes by 12 percent; the effect was 3 percent for the 11-year time-shift.

Source

Well , there goes any time traveling sex fantasy that I might have had

Makes you wonder how / why , they think up these tests ?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Its all taken out of context for journalism sensationalism. Basically brine shrimp from different generations showed a difference from todays generations. Its a clever way of putting it but way off the mark for what was studied here lol

I am curious though if any generational differences could interfere with human reproduction. Lets say sperm from a 15th century male and an egg from todays female. Im not sure what this study would benefit, maybe some insight on reproductive adaptation and evolution? Interesting read.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Who ever said tappin creatures from the future was a good idea in the first place?...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

To be on the safe side, I think I'll just rule out having sex with shrimp from any time or dimension.

Thanks for the advice.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snippy23
reply to post by Max_TO

To be on the safe side, I think I'll just rule out having sex with shrimp from any time or dimension.

Thanks for the advice.

Laughing out loud...you are so funny!...Ya leave me out of the shrimp thing too!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It does make sense. But being a guy, it doesn't effect me.

Semen from today, may be recognized as a toxin to the female reproduction system in 500 years from now. As I said though, it doesn't effect me, so if I somehow travel to the future, all those space chicks are going to get some 2011 lovin'

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You have to question WHY was this research done to begin with ? Is time travel possible or was this useless research just to get a government grant ?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They're not too easy to find. You have to order them direct from the manufacturer, but last time I made an order, I got plenty of extras. So if anyone needs some shrimp-sized condoms, just let me know.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We preserved these eggs using who the hell knows what chemicals/process and then reanimated them with water.

Slight variation in lifespans appear between half destroyed eggs and normal eggs.

Must be the the fact they're from the future!

I really hope this study was done for free.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Yeah it would be a very bad idea indeed. Our present day antibiotics might not be potent enough to handle the Clap 2.0.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I'll be sporting a futuristic condom that covers your whole waist section, like latex boxers or something.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This article directly offends my religion.

This is a part of our creed in the Church of the Mating With Future Women for the Survival of a Post Apocalyptic Mankind and Time Travel.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Man they just did this thread yesterday or the day beore

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
This article directly offends my religion.

This is a part of our creed in the Church of the Mating With Future Women for the Survival of a Post Apocalyptic Mankind and Time Travel.

Sounds like Terminator LOL...... Nice

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is what bothers me about how gullible science has become.

Ok because shrimp have this observed in one set of tests, we automatically assume that it will be shown in all other tests (we don't know until we keep testing right?).

Also we automatically assume that such an effect will spillover to humans, when we have no tests at all to prove this either way.

It seems completely arbitrary and nearly meaningless really.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This article is misrepresenting the research (which they don't source a link to). Here is the site that researches the following:

CIRAD works with developing countries to generate and pass on new knowledge, support agricultural development and fuel the debate on the main global issues concerning agriculture.

www.cirad.fr...

If anyone wants to dig for the original research go ahead. I believe the writer of this article decided to embellish excessively to as what they scientists were really researching and why. She mentioned time shifting to get the target audience....wow im time shifting as we speak, 1...2...3...4...5...6....7...

Don't bash the research bash the article writer for making it something more exciting then it actually may be lol

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I can see why this is!

I was noted recently that humans are born on average with 60 genetic mutations compared to their parents. Although 60 mutations is a rather small number considering the average cell can experience hundreds when they divide. The trick is that our useful DNA is very spread out in the entire genome, meaning most mutations will happen in a "junk" piece of DNA. However, these mutations will add up over time!

the difference between brine shrimp and humans is our generational lengths. one generation of humans is roughly 20 years, while 1 generation of brine shrimp could be less than 1 year. meaning their genetic mutations add up a lot quicker than humans, which in part could explain this.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What about artifical insemination ? We freeze the sperm of livestock to later inseminate livestock to advance the breed .Show winning bulls champion race horses ect. What about sperm banks ? Isnt this the same as the shrimp but on a much larger scale?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Snippy23

for those who watch the simpsons, this was troy mcclure's (phil hartmann) fetish, sex with fish! he would have loved this study!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO

When time travel finally becomes possible, we might want to think twice about getting it on. According to a new study on tiny shrimp (Artemia franciscana), sex with partners from a different time could kill you. Researchers at the Center for Functional and Evolutionary Ecology (CEFE) in Montpellier, France, collected preserved brine shrimp eggs from various generations, and then reanimated them with water. Nicolas Rode and colleagues mated pairs of brine shrimp that had been reanimated from eggs preserved since 1985, 1996 and 2007, a period representing roughly 160 generations. They found that females that mated with males from the past or future died off sooner than those that mated with their own generation. The longer the time-shift, the earlier they died: The 22-year time difference shortened female lifetimes by 12 percent; the effect was 3 percent for the 11-year time-shift.

Source

Well , there goes any time traveling sex fantasy that I might have had

Makes you wonder how / why , they think up these tests ?

excuse me while i stratch my head ,,, wtf was the point of these tests?

seriously dont scientists have anything better to do then this non sense , ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join