It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major event about to unfold before your eyes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Fort Peck Dam

The Fort Peck Dam is the highest of six major dams along the Missouri River, located in northeast Montana in the United States, near Glasgow, and adjacent to the community of Fort Peck. At 21,026 feet (6,409 m) in length and over 250 feet (76 m) in height, it is the largest hydraulically filled dam in the United States, and creates Fort Peck Lake, the fifth largest man-made lake in the U.S., more than 130 miles long, 200 feet deep, and it has a 1,520 mile shoreline which is longer than the state of California's coastline.[1] It lies within the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge. The dam and 134-mile (216 km) long lake exist for the purposes of hydroelectric power generation, flood control, and water quality management.[2]..........

Dam failure during construction
The slide took the lives of 8 men on September 22, 1938. Fort Peck Dam, Fort Peck, Montana. Courtesy, estate of Robert A. Midthun.

This process proceeded until elevation of the fill reached approximately 2250 ft (686 metres (2,251 ft) (61 m) above the foundation), while the reservoir was at an elevation of 2,117.5 feet (645.4 m). At this point, the danger of the core pool overtopping or bursting the shell became greater because the beaches became narrower. For this reason, an extensive alarm system was implemented along the narrower upstream shell. This alarm system could immediately shut off the dredge pumps if a shell breach was detected. Part of this alarm system involved monitoring the elevations of the core pool and the pipelines carrying the dredged fill.

On the morning of September 22, 1938, an inspection by the engineer in charge of construction revealed that the elevation of the pipeline relative to the core pool near station 15+10 (see attached overhead photo) was only 2.5 feet (0.76 m) when it should have been 4.5 feet (1.4 m). A survey crew was dispatched immediately to determine if the fill on which the pipeline was founded was settling or if the pipeline footing itself was settling. Preliminary measurement showed that the pipeline was closer to the pool than expected from station 15+00 to station 17+00. A meeting with the district engineer and supervisory personnel was scheduled for 1:15 p.m. near the location in question.

At approximately 1:15 p.m. the core pool near station 15+00 began to settle slowly. As its rate of settlement increased, cracks appeared 30 feet (9.1 m) below the crest in the upstream embankment. As the settlement of the pool got larger, portions of the shell began to slide backwards into the core pool area and the majority of the upstream shell began to move into the reservoir, translating south and rotating slightly about the east abutment. The west end of the slide mass broke away from the dam near station 27+00 and the core pool water rapidly poured out of the breach that was created in the shell. Portions of the core in the still-stable portion of the dam continued to slump into the hole created by the loss of the slide mass. One construction supervisor was backing his car away from the advancing scarp to the west along the beach to avoid the slumping and noted that the small scarp in the core was advancing to the west at a speed equal to his own (approximately 10 mph (16 km/h)).......

.......In the testing and analysis done by the Corps of Engineers and others to determine the cause of the slide, several modes of failure were considered. These were: movement along a weak zone in the shale in the abutment, movement along the shale surface, bursting of the shell due to excessive core pressure, and temporary liquefaction of the shell or foundation sand. Extensive laboratory testing of the shale, both weathered and unweathered indicated strengths leading to a factor of safety greater than one. Also, portions of the weathered shale were found in the slide mass, indicating that the slip surface was located somewhere in the shale, but probably at a shallow depth. The core material turned out to be much stronger than expected (having a friction angle of approximately 29 degrees) and was carried out into the slide nearly in a solid mass, making it unlikely that the core was the weak point in the slide. Laboratory testing was done on the shell material and the foundation sand and it was determined that both materials were denser than the critical state for liquefaction. There was no evidence of ground vibration, seismic or otherwise. Some liquefaction may have occurred after the sliding was initiated, but it was unlikely that it caused the slide.

The major weak point in the dam seemed to be the bentonite seams in the Bear Paw shale. Very high water pressures were reported at some points in the shale during the construction. This was likely caused by consolidation due to the overburden of the fill being placed for the dam. The excess pore pressures could not be relieved due to the low permeability of the surrounding shale. This resulted in a low effective stress in the bentonite and a very low shear strength.

Source

So here we have a known failure of the dam due to the Shale and high pressure.

Now here is the part that no news organization is covering.... The damn is currently beyond the maximum level!!!

A record-setting year of moisture has raised the 134-mile-long reservoir to its highest level ever, an elevation of 2,252.3 feet as of Thursday. Full pool at the reservoir is 2,250. Inflows from the Missouri River, boosted by high water on the Musselshell River, have forced the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to release a record amount of water from its spillway - 52,000 cubic feet per second, 65,000 cfs when combined with the water being run through the powerhouse.

Yet the lake level keeps rising.........

......"If we could just drop back to normally high inflows, we'd drop pretty quickly at these releases," said John Daggett, the Army Corps' dam operations manager in Fort Peck.

But so far that hasn't happened, so boaters, anglers and campers traveling to Fort Peck Reservoir for a summer getaway should take note: Some campsites and access routes are underwater.

Source

Please everyone beware that lies beyond the dam, you could wake up to a Tsunami fueled by the 5th largest man made lake in the US in your backyard soon if this dam fails and with it's history I would not take any chances,

To make matters worse all the webcams for the dam seem to not be pointed at the damn at the moment?!?!

Here is some more info on Hydraulic Filled dams.

Hydraulic Fill dams

These dams are dangerous there is a reason this method is no longer used and it is called liquefaction.

-Kdial1
edit on 22-6-2011 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2011 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
hmm Would this be a good time to start selling water stabilisers?

flounderingintheshallowendbox

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'm in North Illinois, am I safe ? We really cannot afford to leave unfortunately.

+63 more 
posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I feel like I am behind the iron curtain I swear. If not for this site and dedicated posters this would be unknown to me! I am now more then alarmed by what we are not hearing from the media. I never remember feeling quite this way in regard to what we are not being told. Why are we NOT being told what is going on. This is not China or the former USSR but you would certainly think so! Thanks for posting.
edit on 22-6-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
HAARP is set to maximum power to cause maximum destruction. 2 Nuclear plants, this gigantic damn, and troop movements all over the country.

theintelhub.com...

Keep your pants on people.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
HAARP is set to maximum power to cause maximum destruction. 2 Nuclear plants, this gigantic damn, and troop movements all over the country.

theintelhub.com...

Off topic, but not to mention the Eagle Horizon NLE 2011.
www.youtube.com...=84

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If this Dam fails we will most likely have multiple Nuclear Power Plants wiped out by the massive flood that this will cause and we will start looking more like Edgar Cayce's map.

-Kdial1

link   
That is not the only dam with serious problems. There are a few others in very ill repair as well. The closest one in my area is Wolf Creek Dam, they lowered the lake level several years ago about 40 feet to relieve some pressure on the dam as it appeared an imminent failure was likely. It seems progress is being made slowly, but they still have not allowed the lake to return to normal levels.

Wolf Creek Dam
edit on 22-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

What?
Even when they are full of the brown stuff?

st.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone
I feel like I am behind the iron curtain I swear. If not for this site and dedicated posters this would be unknown to me! I am now more then alarmed by what we are not hearing from the media. I never remember feeling quite this way in regard to what we are not being told. Why are we NOT being told what is going on. This is not China or the former USSR but you would certainly think so! Thanks for posting.

that's our media establishment for you. compare this to how much time/effort they put into Sarah Palin's emails, or this stupid Anthony trial (who CARES?!) floods and extreme weather barely get a nod. the Weather Channel often provides more useful info than the alphabets.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone

that's our media establishment for you. compare this to how much time/effort they put into Sarah Palin's emails, or this stupid Anthony trial (who CARES?!) floods and extreme weather barely get a nod. the Weather Channel often provides more useful info than the alphabets.

Amen but can somebody answer my question, I'm in North Illinois. Am I f -ed ?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I can't believe this is not getting play on the MSM.

What are the population numbers that could be affected? Are there troop movements in the area? Is Fema moving in or ready?

If this is an impending catastrophe, the question is why evacuation plans are not in place. Unless of course, it plays into even bigger plans.

edit on 22-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
well watch out for saturday and sunday , you got some bad storms on the way

glasgows weather

bar then its sunny and dry.so it is, och aye.

GlaswegianBox

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Added Video to OP

-Kdial1

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Jun 22, 2011

Fort Peck....: Flood Control max level ... 2250 : current level ... 2251.8 : percent of flood control capacity 112%
Garrison......: Flood Control max level ... 1854 : current level ... 1854.4 : percent of flood control capacity 102%
Oahe...........: Flood Control max level ... 1620 : current level ... 1619.3 : percent of flood control capacity 92%
Big Bend......: Flood Control max level ... 1423 : current level ... 1421.0 : percent of flood control capacity 32%
Fort Randal...: Flood Control max level ... 1375 : current level ... 1368.0 : percent of flood control capacity 69%
Gavins Point..: Flood Control max level ... 1210 : current level ... 1208.1 : percent of flood control capacity 63%

www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil...

en.wikipedia.org...

Gavins Point Dam, live stream ..

edit on 22-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement?
If the dam fails, there are no nuclear power plants in the area with any chance of being affected. A large number of people, certainly, especially in north-eastern Montana... but there are no nuclear power plants in that area.
edit on 22-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by funbox

well watch out for saturday and sunday , you got some bad storms on the way

glasgows weather

bar then its sunny and dry.so it is, och aye.

GlaswegianBox

Dude, we're in the USA. The Glasgow you're talking about is in Ireland. We're in the USA.....

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would be putting plans in place now for anyone that is in the flood plain.

#1 on that list is to find High ground and pack some supplies up there.

Originally posted by Dalke07
Jun 22, 2011

Fort Peck....: Flood Control max level ... 2250 : current level ... 2251.8 : percent of flood control capacity 112%
Garrison......: Flood Control max level ... 1854 : current level ... 1854.4 : percent of flood control capacity 102%
Oahe...........: Flood Control max level ... 1620 : current level ... 1619.3 : percent of flood control capacity 92%
Big Bend......: Flood Control max level ... 1423 : current level ... 1421.0 : percent of flood control capacity 32%
Fort Randal...: Flood Control max level ... 1375 : current level ... 1368.0 : percent of flood control capacity 69%
Gavins Point..: Flood Control max level ... 1210 : current level ... 1208.1 : percent of flood control capacity 63%

www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

yes there are dams in scotland , but please the ops dam is near glasgow, och aye it is so, i presume you think i cant do searchy?

eyepieceBox

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by kdial1

Isn't that a bit of an overstatement?
If the dam fails, there are no nuclear power plants in the area with any chance of being affected. A large number of people, certainly, especially in central Montana... but there are no nuclear power plants in that area.

Your joking right?

There is one being affected by the Flooding right now

Link

You do not think a 200 feet deep lake that is 134 miles long will not cause more flooding? Are you high?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join