It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Arrest Woman For Videotaping Them From Her Front Yard: (Wait till you see this tape!)

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Come on man are you really defending this?

Yes I do. My view is based on knowledge of how the law works, and in this case, he was within the law and justified. As I said before, you guys get so tunnel visioned that all you see are the police and their actions. You refuse to see the overall picture, or even the opposite side.

For some its because they hate cops no matter what
For others its because they just dont know the law or how it works
For others its because they think their personal opinion is rightous and should be the end all be all answer to the topic at hand.

What could possibly have happened before the video starts?

A good question. Maybe we should find that info out to see if it puts the officers actions into a better context. What possible reason would the lady need to have contact with the police before she started recording. What was the exchnage between the 2? Could the officer have misunderstood the lady? Could the lady have seize the moment in an effort to force an encounter, record it, then sue and hope for a big payout?

Lots of questions that should not be discounted.

Judging by her tearful reaction to the cops taking her from her own property she doesn't seem like she would be aggressive.

Neither did squaky fromme
Neither did Bonnie
Aileen Wuornos comes to mind
Rosemary West
Elizabeth Bathory

A few names come to mind here, all women, all appear calm and nice on the inside. All accused, charged and found guilty of murder. A few are serial killers.

Making an assumption that the lady with the camera is not a threat because she is female and has a camera is naive and dangerous, and has gotten officers killed before in the past. How do we know her crying was not an act for the camera, which intrestingly enough she set on the ground for her activist buddy to pick up and continue recording.

If you want me to enteratin the thought that the cop is wrong, then I exect people to entertain the thought the cop was right.

Also judging by how quick the officer was to arrest her following his AWESOME orders, if she had been doing something illegal before, she would have been in the back of the van alot sooner.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
The thread title is a lie, the woman repeatedly lied in the video, and the cops were being civil and humane.

You guys are really trying to poo poo the cops in this thread.

I'm all for calling out police brutality and whatnot, but this isn't a case I'd stand up for.

Exactly, her only motive for filming them was to provoke. The officer warned her several times.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by anon72

Does anyone know what happened to the poor young woman since this video was taken? I hope she sues!

On what grounds does she have standing for a lawsuit?

On what grounds did they have to arrest her? Do you know what she was charged with? Looks like they really had to dig through the books to find that charge.

Emily Good was charged with obstructing governmental administration.

So talking to the mailman about the weather qualifies. What a country!

Being charged does not mean she was guilty. She is innocent until proven guilty. And she was about as guilty as a tree standing in her lawn. There is no way a jury would find her guilty. And I would take it that far if this charge is allowed to stand. Now if she walked up into their faces and got in their way, that would be a different story. And like I said in my earlier post. I would also sue them. Illegal arrest and illegal seizure of property.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
reply to post by Xcathdra

It must be easy to sit behind a computer, be ignorant of the law, how it works, and how your rights work, throwing rocks, while never being present either.

This is the part you dont understand. You don't understand the difference between how the law works and what is law. There is a big difference in how a law is being used/practiced and what the law stats.

Uhm... riiight. Please oh great and knowing oracle, school me in the ways of the law and how they work. Please show me your sources that show the officer broke the law. Please show me what law he broke. Please show me where the lady did not brea the law.

Facts, not opinions please, and please cite your sources.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

edit on 23-6-2011 by jonco6 because: un reliable sorce

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Just a quick note on the entire fiasco,
It's CLEAR it was a personal issue between the officer and the lady because the video never stops,
it wasnt about the video, or recording them, or even his safety, IT WAS PERSONAL,
the camera was laid down, still recording, the other people were still standing there as she was taken away, no one else was confronted, no other orders to clear the area were given, no one else was deemed a threat, no one else out of the group there were confronted.

You cant defend jackboot SS style patrolmen with logic if you apply logic to the entire event.
FAIL on every level.

Welcome to Amerika land of fear.
edit on 23-6-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: stet

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
How many times did you say "we," in your little speech up above. It's that right there that is the problem. Police in this country feel like some kind of brotherhood, a national gang of thugs lording over the peasantry.

Oh, im sorry. How many times have you and the others referred to officers in a general every single law enforcement officer in the US in your reponses? If you guys are going to make blanket statements, then you are including me in that statement.

And once again we have another winner who finally gives up because they dont know the law, instead resorting to personal attacks and name calling.

Btw the actual problem is a lack of knowledge about how the law works and is enforced. How your civil rights are work. How Police Departments operate and under what authority.

You are part of the problem, each and every police officer defending further usurpation against the people of this nation is part of the problem.

No really im not. All I am doing is pointing out a lot of the errors and outright lies some of you are making. Several people have made claims, and yes have refused to supply sources to support their claims. Ignorance of the law is the problem. Ignorance about how it works is the problem. Ignorance on he part of the people is the problem. Apathy of the people to get involved with government is the problem.

Refusal to entertain any other evidence that does not support your argument is the problem.

I would know, I left the field because the majority of police officers are like yourself, and in this video.

Law Enforcement is not for everyone and some people should find other professions that are more low key and less demanding intellience wise.

Leaving a profession because you fail to understand it, does not make that profession invalid, corrupt etc etc etc. Nor does it mean all officers are .

So let me ask you this then. Are you doing anything to make changes? Apparently you obviously felt that as an offcier it is easier to just quit rather than stand your ground and help weed out the morons.

Then again I guess its easier to just quit and throw rocks at the glass house.

The difference between you and I is you quit because you couldnt deal with other officers. I maintain my job because unlike you, I think there are good cops, and we all the good ones we can get. I would rather go down with my ethics intact, than quit and cower behind a computer monitor.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

We know how law works, we don't like how the process is abused.

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal" -MLK

Yes, some women in history have killed, so let's assume that all women are dangerous, no let's go a step further and arrest them on the basis that they may commit a future crime.

This cop was wrong.
edit on 23-6-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
...............It's CLEAR it was a personal issue between the officer and the lady because the video never stops,
it wasnt about the video, or recording them, or even his safety, IT WAS PERSONAL,
the camera was laid down, still recording, the other people were still standing there as she was taken away, no one else was confronted, no other orders to clear the area were given, no one else was deemed a threat, no one else out of the group there were confronted.

You cant defend jackboot SS style patrolmen with logic if you apply logic to the entire event.
FAIL on every level.[/quote[
Yes, based on her action and reaction, I believe she had ulterior motives

Welcome to Amerika land of fear.

and the home of the lazy, apathetic and ignorant.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Making an assumption that the lady with the camera is not a threat because she is female and has a camera is naive and dangerous

I wasn't suggesting her being female had anything to do with it. It was her reaction. You can hear her voice shaking throughout the entire exchange. If it's an act it's a good one. I am willing to admit no one apart from her or someone who knows her very well can be certain of this.

I'm going on my instincts here. Which are to defend vulnerable human beings. In contrast I find your instincts in this instance are to defend a government institution. Which is worrying, especially given the obvious corruption at all levels. I get the devil's advocate it is necessary in alot of cases to weed out the truth, but you have been quite tenacious in this thread to the point it just seems desperate.

I don't think she should have been arrested, if she did anything before filming she would be charged with that. She wasn't.

Are cops in the US so easily wound up, that all it takes to piss one off is a camera? That strikes me as being incredibly dangerous, considering they have lethal weapons on them at all times.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

How many times did you say "we," in your little speech up above. It's that right there that is the problem. Police in this country feel like some kind of brotherhood, a national gang of thugs lording over the peasantry.

You are part of the problem, each and every police officer defending further usurpation against the people of this nation is part of the problem.

I would know, I left the field because the majority of police officers are like yourself, and in this video.

Sounds to me like the wrong cops are leaving. And the wrong ones are staying. We are doomed!

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom

Understanding the law is required to understand the process. Based on comments ive seen, people dont understand the law, or the process. Whats even more of a problem is they refuse to learn and ask questions, instead going for the attack instead.

Which I beleive people have complained about with officers.

Again its funny how hypocritical and naieve some can be.

Ah yes... the fall back position of fear mongering. Drawing parelaells between Nazis and the Police while ignoring all facts and circumstances that go along with it.

If your going to cite history, then put it into context and compare apples to apples instead of apples to mars. You seem to be ignoring the number of Nazi officers who did their best to assasinate Hitler and end the war. The number of Nazis who in fact did help jews escape.

Or even the fact that it never would have been as bad had people said no instead of trying out appeasement.

Yes, some women in history have killed, so let's assume that all women are dangerous, no let's go a step further and arrest them on the basis that they may commit a future crime.

Again your comment is why I constantly refer people to read and understand the law. The lady in the video was not arrested for committing a future crime. She was arrested for failking to obey a lawful command.

Again if you are going toi make comparisons, compare apples to apples and not apples to the andromeda galaxy.

This cop was wrong.

Well in that case I will alert the presses so you can draft your press release and explain why the cop is wrong. I would suggest you actually use the laws, and not your personal opinion though.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I don't understand the law?

She was acting well within her rights, in fact it was the Officer who was trespassing on her property.

If you had the intelligence to do a little research you would find out that the Officers in question dropped her off at the local high school and had a little get together to decide how to cover their asses.

The Rochester Police Chief as well as City Councilman have spoken against the actions of the Officers.

I'm not surprised to watch you recklessly and blindly defend each and every instance of abuse that pops up. This is common behavior, especially from an Officer who clearly thinks himself above his other fellow Officers.

I'm not unintelligent, or cowardly for getting away from the monstrosity that has become Law Enforcement in this country. The Rule of Law is dead in our once great nation, leaving behind a corrupt cancerous mass.

You say you stay in the system to try and fix it from the inside, I say you stay in the system because you're clearly one of the twisted minds that populates the ranks nationwide. Your ethics are clearly questionable at best, and if your ethical compass is something you are trying to defend, I'm sorry to tell you, but they are already gone.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I lose more and more respect for cops as the days go by. I don't care what you have to say. You can say there are good cops and bad cops all you want, but I haven't run into a good cop in my whole life (except for the truant officers at my old high school, they were 'down to Earth'
). I grew up in New York, and the cops around in my area (109th Pct, 111th Pct) are the biggest douche-bags you'll ever run into. They steal. They beat people up in the back rooms of the precinct (which has happened to my friends and I countless times). They take their merry time coming to a crime scene, sometimes an hour later when the 109th is only a 5 minute drive away. Usually the crime is over by then, but they arrive just in time to take reports!

edit on 23-6-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Whoa whoa whoa.... Lawful command? I want proof from you that this was a lawful command. Innocent until proven guilty. You have to prove guilt not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Sooo.. the cops were arrested on charges of unlawful detention and kidnapping right?

Yeah.. thought so.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

edit on 23-6-2011 by BiGGz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Understanding the law is required to understand the process. Based on comments ive seen, people dont understand the law, or the process. Whats even more of a problem is they refuse to learn and ask questions, instead going for the attack instead.

Which I beleive people have complained about with officers.

Again its funny how hypocritical and naieve some can be.

Ah yes... the fall back position of fear mongering. Drawing parelaells between Nazis and the Police while ignoring all facts and circumstances that go along with it.

If your going to cite history, then put it into context and compare apples to apples instead of apples to mars. You seem to be ignoring the number of Nazi officers who did their best to assasinate Hitler and end the war. The number of Nazis who in fact did help jews escape.

Or even the fact that it never would have been as bad had people said no instead of trying out appeasement.

Again your comment is why I constantly refer people to read and understand the law. The lady in the video was not arrested for committing a future crime. She was arrested for failking to obey a lawful command.

Again if you are going toi make comparisons, compare apples to apples and not apples to the andromeda galaxy.

This cop was wrong.

Well in that case I will alert the presses so you can draft your press release and explain why the cop is wrong. I would suggest you actually use the laws, and not your personal opinion though.

So everybody else besides yourself is hypocritical and naive? I saw in another post you called Americans ignorant as well. Very close to the internet t word.

The point of the quote is that just because something is a law doesn't mean that it right, thanks for trying.

She didn't do anything wrong, that's the point, if the law is that she was wrong then something is wrong with the law. That's the point of MLK's quote in case you didn't get it, law doesn't equal being in the right.

In effect she was arrested for a potential future crime, the order to leave was given on the basis that she may pose a threat and commit a crime in the future. Word games don't work in the real world, sometimes what seems right just is. This is the court of public opinion, this is my world, and in my world the opinion swings my direction.

edit on 23-6-2011 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I wasn't suggesting her being female had anything to do with it. It was her reaction. You can hear her voice shaking throughout the entire exchange. If it's an act it's a good one. I am willing to admit no one apart from her or someone who knows her very well can be certain of this.

regardless though it offers the suggestion that there was something more going on thaan what we viewed on the recording. As ive stated many times before, the camaera does not always whow the full story.

Also, the red flag for me is her background with protesting forclosures. I say this because forclosures deal with sheriffs deputies or the police. This means that as an activist, and her presence at those events, she should have an intimate understanding of what she can and cannot do. She should understand the dos and donts when dealing with law enforcement during the performance of their duties.

Yet, in this case, she is recording, makes the typical right to video tape im on private property argument. She was arrested, andher reaction seemed too dramatic and contrived to be real. She knew what legal terms to use with the Officer during their exchange, which leads me to beleive she is not as stupid as she is trying to make herself come across to the police and people watching.

Again, people ignore this and go straight for the officer.

I'm going on my instincts here. Which are to defend vulnerable human beings. In contrast I find your instincts in this instance are to defend a government institution. Which is worrying, especially given the obvious corruption at all levels. I get the devil's advocate it is necessary in alot of cases to weed out the truth, but you have been quite tenacious in this thread to the point it just seems desperate.

Yeah I get that way when people make blanket accusations, refuse to acknowledge other possibilities, ignore evidence, twist facts, ignore laws simply because they dont like them all the while maintaing cops dont know what they are doing, should be killed, imprisoned etc.

Why should I stand by and watch people trash the police through ignorance? Why should I watch the people offer up their opinions on laws as if they were facts?

I will offer a counter argument based on facts and laws, while the people ignore them. You and others make claims that good cops should step up and get rid of the bad ones.

Let me ask you this, who among the otherside of the fence (anti police) have stood up to people posting in this thread and calling them out for advocating the death of police or what have you?

You want cops to stand up, so why shouldnt the other side of the fence stand up and weed the bad apples from their groups and force them out?

Instead, you guys ignore them and continue to go after all police.

Again, kind of hypocritical is it not?

I don't think she should have been arrested, if she did anything before filming she would be charged with that. She wasn't.

A misdemeanor charge carries a statute of limitations for prosecution of 1 year. A single act of stupidity by the lady should be ignored since we all say things before our call waiting kicks in to prevent it from coming out of our mouths.

From initial contact with the police, this lady was warned numerous times, and refused to comply. It was not one single act whiich resulted in her arrest. It was totality of circumstance, which means her actions and comments prior to recording and those same elements during her 1 minute long debate. Put all of that together, and you have a crime.

Are cops in the US so easily wound up, that all it takes to piss one off is a camera? That strikes me as being incredibly dangerous, considering they have lethal weapons on them at all times.

I dont know, you tell me -

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Please cite your sources about the meeting and the comments by the city government.

And yes, you do not know the law or how it works. Your argument bears that out.

As for the rest of your opinion, its just that and nothing more. As I said, when you understand how the law works get back to me. When you become a police officer and understand the laws behind traffic stops and the detention of individuals get back to me.

Call me what you want, I really dont care.

However, what I am doing, trying to fix things from within, is a whole lot more than what you and others do. How exactly does it effect change when all you do is come into a forum with the benefiet of 20/20 hindsight and complain but offer no alternatives to fix the perceived problem?

Or do you not do that because it would require time, effort and research on your part?

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join