It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Infinity?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
If infinity was the pre-big-bang scenario, since kinetic energy arises from a potential energy, Infinity was the potential energy.
Before the universe of form became manifest when there was no-thing, what was it like?

How does something come from nothing?

Infinity as potential energy.
Potential energy as infinity?

The universe of form as kinetic energy arising from the potential of infinity.

Can nothingness be classified as infinity?
I think it can. The potential for nothingness to become somethingness implies that nothingness is a realm of infinite possibilities and thus infinity. In infinity, there is potential for nothing to become anything. That is what I think is infinity.
edit on 21-6-2011 by smithjustinb because: qeryqery

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

You just blew my brain with this quote . . .
Have nothing to add, honestly, except the cheese joke: "Chuck Norris counted to infinity . . . twice!"
But seriously, I never did quiet got this whole Big Bang Theory.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
If infinity was the pre-big-bang scenario, since kinetic energy arises from a potential energy, Infinity was the potential energy.
Before the universe of form became manifest when there was no-thing, what was it like?

Infinity as potential energy.
Potential energy as infinity?

The universe of form as kinetic energy arising from the potential of infinity.

Can nothingness be classified as infinity?
I think it can. The potential for nothingness to become somethingness implies that nothingness is a realm of infinite possibilities and thus infinity. In infinity, there is potential for nothing to become anything. That is what I think is infinity.
edit on 21-6-2011 by smithjustinb because: qeryqery

I would say that infinity is the illusion of the finite being wrapped around itself...(a closed loop, mobius strip (sp?))

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Hummm...

while nothingness would be the total absence ---
--- and infinity the total lasting... I can't see it, but it certainly seems there should be a relation between both.

Or...

Maybe Infinity is just a mis-conception derived from our basically linear interpretation of Time, and therefore no real concept to work with.

That wouldnt solve how Something could come out of Nothingness. Probably there was something more than nothing there. If there was nothing, nothing would be.

It's funny to apply petty handicapped 3D human logics to this tremendous issues.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
infinity = everything +1

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Infinity is a word used by ignorant human beings when they can't wrap there minds around concepts or numbers that are very large.

Nothing is 'infinite', everything is quantifiable!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This guy has a fairly entertaining perspective on the concepts of infinity. Of course this requires an interest in the subject to begin with or else you'll just be bored to tears.

My favorite example is the Hilbert Hotel example. On the last day adding an infinite amount of guests created an infinite number of empty rooms.

edit on 21-6-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't believe infinity truly exists..as posted above, it's just a label for numbers too large for us to comprehend.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Oh yes! When will we overcome Euclidian Geometry?

I guess we could never quantify Multiverse, but first we'll have to get there

You gave an answer: Nothing is Infinite / Infinite is Nothing

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees
...but first we'll have to get there

Correct, it's all theory .. a fascinating one, but still just a theory.. and multiverse theory doesn't have to involve infinity, it depends on which multiverse theory you subscribe to.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

If you have to ask. Then you already know the answer.

You just haven't accepted it yet.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

So basically you are trying to say that nothing is something in such that it is potential energy that allowed for the formation of a singularity that was the big bang?

Either way this is something concept that I've mulled over. You need at least two basic things right?

The nothingness that you describe is not even space (or aether). I've always thought it to be 0 dimension. I think it's the only thing that ties everything together and supersedes all known natural law and allows complete connectivity for all things between all things regardless.

Meh ... Just thinking aloud lol

-AS-
edit on 21-6-2011 by AeonStorm because: restructure

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I recently made a thread using infinity as a main point towards the Quantum Immortality theory. Basically if you can actually grasp infinity you will understand everything is in loops, how you might say? If the universe is indeed given infinite time then is it possible that our universe went through not one, but MANY big bangs. If this is so then what if the universe we live in today was made into different universes an unfathomable amount of times and after a ridiculous amount of odds that just maybe the big bang sorted all the matter to make the same universe. Now if this time the universe we live in is indeed the same as some other one made before the difference now could be subconsciously we feel the presence of the past universe playing in the background of our minds.

If you take a VCR cassette with something on it and then record something over it what do you get, you can see parts of the old recording in the background and some scrambled voices.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I believe that Infinity is the continuance of time. It doesn’t need God or Gods, People, Planets, Galaxies nor the Universe. It doesn’t need anything to exist and therefore is immeasurable.

It just is. Always and forever. It is truly, the unstoppable force of the natural order of things.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Warpedconsciousness

Then the tape itself is existing in a loop, and so on ..

I still say that everything has a beginning and an end, it's that point and the vastness of it that is impossible to comprehend .. Just because I can't explain what defines that beginning, or that end.. doesn't make it untrue.. the idea of infinity I think was created for that very reason.. we can't comprehend a beginning that had nothing before it.. but cave men couldn't comprehend fire from a stick either until it was there.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum
Infinity is a word used by ignorant human beings when they can't wrap there minds around concepts or numbers that are very large.

Not true as I believe that the idea of infinity can be explained by illusion. This illusion can be, say, an endless loop. Unless you believe an illusion is quantifiable.

-AS-
edit on 21-6-2011 by AeonStorm because: added

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by AboveTheTrees
...but first we'll have to get there

Correct, it's all theory .. a fascinating one, but still just a theory.. and multiverse theory doesn't have to involve infinity, it depends on which multiverse theory you subscribe to.

Fascinating
Love it.

The one I've heard of was proposed after having observed quantum "craziness" (where a quantum can be in several places at the same time - not moving rapidly, just being there), they thought Multiverse could be the infinite opening of Universes for every single possibility. One is effective in our Universe, all the rest, for every single possibility has its own Universe continuum.

That would make it unquantifiable (and in that term I was replying AnteBellum's post), but --- maybe, in simple logics, it would not be unquantifiable, no... It would be indeed quantifiable, it would be ONE (everything).

Humm..

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AeonStorm

Sure, you can travel forever in the same direction and never leave the Earth. I often mockingly point to a random direction when someone asks "which way is ..." since any direction will lead you to the point you choose eventually. Now if you want the shortest path that's another matter.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
reply to post by AeonStorm

Sure, you can travel forever in the same direction and never leave the Earth. I often mockingly point to a random direction when someone asks "which way is ..." since any direction will lead you to the point you choose eventually. Now if you want the shortest path that's another matter.

That's not true.. the earth is a curved surface so your direction is changing as you travel, so saying you can travel forever in the same direction and never leave earth is a false statement =)

Also you can't travel in any direction to get to the destination you choose, you will have to be on a heading that allows you to cross that point, since the earth is a sphere you could just keep circling along one path forever and never get to your destination.
edit on 21-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Well, from your perspective you would always be travelling in a straight line and never reach the end. What is the longest line you can draw on a sphere? The Universe may very well have the same limitation, and time itself may have a similar trick up its sleeve.

This is the space-time curvature that Einstein proposed .

Originally posted by miniatus
since the earth is a sphere you could just keep circling along one path forever and never get to your destination.

There is only one path that would never allow you to reach your destination and an infinite number of paths that would eventually lead you there. So it's fairly safe to say that pointing in any direction is okay.
edit on 21-6-2011 by dbates because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join