It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4800 Aussie sites evaporate after hack .. Lulzsec???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

4800 Aussie sites evaporate after hack .. Lulzsec???

www.smh.com.au

At least 4800 Australian websites have been lost with no chance of recovery following a break-in at Australian domain registrar and web host Distribute.IT.

The hack attack caused so much damage that four of the company's servers were "unrecoverable", the company said, leaving thousands of website owners in the lurch.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
nett.com.au
www.cio.com.au

They did an upgrade to their infrastructure on 1 June, installing "Dell EqualLogic SAN" equipment.

Posts from the whirlpool forum

User #258366 70 posts
pble8531
Forum Regular The lack of communication is the biggest drama. I have to face my customers as I do but they don't tell us what is going on inconsiderate pricks they just throw us to the sharks. I am over it.

User #324767 85 posts
mgordon
Forum Regular We used to deal with a guy called Damien in there about 12 months ago – I got the impression the has ran the show (on a technical level). Damien apparently went on an "extended holiday" and it appears that the wheels started falling off the cart at that stage.

I am genuinley starting to belive that they just dont have the technical skill to address these operational issues that keep popping up anymore. I think it really shows when they choose to hit the big red button and kill the entire network rather than isolating the services at fault.

This is beginning to hurt us that badly that i'd wear the cost and send my own guys up to help them out!

"I think I'm in shock ... I have lost everything .... I couldnt possibly replicate all those years of work again ... my whole lifes work is gone down the drain," wrote one

This hack has shown that these attacks can have some pretty harsh knock-on effects, resulting in lost revenue for thousands of people.

LulzSec has not claimed responsibiity.

edit on 21-6-2011 by Samuelis because: added info

edit on 21-6-2011 by Samuelis because: **

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Could this be Lulzsec>

The significant data loss has raised questions from backup experts as to why Distribute.IT did not appear to have offsite backups of customer data.

Rookie mistake not having a back-up! I know how bad it feels to lose a days work. Losing your lifes work would be unimaginable.

I would be s*h*i*t*t*i*n*g sea shells if it were my work lost.

Lets wait and see how it unfolds.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2011 by Samuelis because: extra info

edit on 21-6-2011 by Samuelis because: info

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Ask Hal Turner...he may know.

FBI informants are fun.

MM

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
wow, just WOW!

I wonder why there weren't any backups and if the Hosting Provider is liable for this.

Must have been really, really, really bad security.

You don't run 4800 sites on a single server but on a big serverpark, so I wonder how this will finish.

I feel sorry for the people putting effort in those websites, I hope they have a backup themselves and search another hosting provider because this is LAME.

Whoever did this is a (censored)

Edit to add, that web host can file bankruptcy imo

edit on 21-6-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I have to go now. Time to back up my personal site.....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Could this be yet another false flag attempt? Or a part of the lulzsec/Anon war on corruption?

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. But this Distribute.IT hack was definitely a LulzSec hack, so any repercussions from this hack are linked to LulzSec too (EDIT:this line is incorrect, there is nothing to link LulzSec to the Distribute.IT hack, and they have not taken responsibility) - but whether they themselves are part of a bigger false flag op - who knows.

The technology division of Sydney Morning Herald (which happens to be my local paper of choice) are really covering the whole LulzSec saga, but I'm not seeing a whole lot on other news sites. Are the US media following this story at all?
edit on 21-6-2011 by TheStev because: To point out where I was mistaken

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is now far beyond ridiculous. This is clearly a false flag attack imo. There's not many other ways I can look at this situation as this horrendous series of events plays out before my eyes. I have a really bad feeling about all of this.

edit on 21-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

This would give me the heebie jeebies about setting up an online business. This is one of the reasons I distrust online banking.

This is one hard "lesson learned" -- do your own back up.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Have anon accepted luls offer at joining forces? I dont think anon should touch this one with a 10ft barge pole.

As far as I can see only Australian news sites and forums so far. Would bet one of my testies that this will be all over US news in a couple of hours.

Stilll no reports of lulzsec claiming responsibility.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Those people who had their websites entrusted the company with their information. I hope the company is responsible and will pay to the people and the wannabe "hackers" brought to justice.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
The technology division of Sydney Morning Herald (which happens to be my local paper of choice) are really covering the whole LulzSec saga, but I'm not seeing a whole lot on other news sites. Are the US media following this story at all?

Honestly, I have not heard of a single reference to them in the media in WA.

The media is too busy creating criminals out of thin air and facilitating the shut down of legal events..

I have only heard of this group from ATS.

And while I read about this attack, there was no mention of Lulzsec.

curious.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
This is now far beyond ridiculous. This is clearly a false flag attack imo. There's not many other ways I can look at this situation as this horrendous series of events plays out before my eyes. I have a really bad feeling about all of this.

edit on 21-6-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: spelling

Can you explain to me how this is a FF ?

Who is the real perpetrator and explain why.

I don't see it that way, but maybe I am not seeing it as you do.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis
reply to post by TheStev

Have anon accepted luls offer at joining forces? I dont think anon should touch this one with a 10ft barge pole.

As far as I can see only Australian news sites and forums so far. Would bet one of my testies that this will be all over US news in a couple of hours.

Stilll no reports of lulzsec claiming responsibility.

I read it in the paper a few days ago, so it's not absolutely current - if it were to make news elsewhere, it would have by now.

Perhaps now it's on here it will spread, but as I said, it was a few days ago I read it in the West Australian.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Guys, be aware that this is NOT a report about new hacking attack. This is a report about the continuing ramifications of a previous hack.

But you're right, this particular attack was not linked to LulzSec (I was mistaken on that) and they have not claimed responsibility. Considering how quick they are to claim responsibility for anything they've done, I think it's safe to say that this was not LulzSec.

In terms of the 'have LS and anon joined forces?', well not really. Both groups tweeted that they were not at war with each other, as the media was trying to suggest. Since then, LulzSec have released their manifesto about AntiSec, and the press release for this operation includes AnonOps under the 'support' link.

So I don't think the two groups have 'joined forces' and I don't think they ever will - but it does seem like they're working together on this particular operation.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
It would also be a very convenient excuse for certain companies who have messed up in a big way. Read some of the forum posts, they are discussing the technical incompitence shown by the hosting company. Easy for them to then blame it all on hackers, this is going to become the norm for any I.T. failiure.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
They are a government funded and managed hacking group specifically brought out to oppose ANON, who is a grass roots people hacking group.

Anon were winning hearts and minds by being the 'hacking group' taking on ben Bernanke, the FED, the BANKS etc etc.

Lulsec all of a sudden appeared from no where attacked Sony, Sega, Nintendo, Online gaming servers and now... distribute IT.

Lulsec are designed to influence the people, the masses into believing hacking groups are bad bad juju and should be controlled.

Where as ANON are the real deal taking on the crooks and ceo's in power.

Once lulsec are dominated by the media (Murdoch and his government influence) all anyone will know of hacking is lulsec, and the unfortunately human shortfall of stereotyping will automatically label ANON a bad threat.

Thus, welcoming to Internet control, regulation and filtering.

And just in time for NBN in Australia.

edit on 21-6-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Assuming that's all true, and it's an interesting theory, wouldn't you expect Anon to recognise that pretty quickly? The fact that Anon and LulzSec are someone aligned seems to contradict that theory.

Personally, at this point, I think either Anon OR LulzSec could be a govt op. Or both. Or neither. Whatever the case may be, I'm enjoying watching the whole thing play out - and even if LulzSec are an op they're an entertaining one!

Also, the term is actually juju. I only mention it because, the way you're spelling it now, you could offend some people

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Thumbs up man!

edited.

True, but all we've had is lulsec declare the partnership? correct me if im wrong but weren’t anon meant to be starting some massive attack on the fed/Bernanke?

Been a bit quiet as of late.

Id have expected anon to be the ones declaring the partnership too, not the apparent new kids on the block.

I have a feeling things are occurring behind the scenes that are really throwing things into chaos for both hacking groups, good or bad.

My Moneys on ANON being the real deal and lulsec being the ones the government is using to pi$$ off the people, to promote anti-hackerism.

I'd expect a massive outage of some sort of internet medium shortly, and lulzsec to claim immediate ownership.

It will be something that greatly effects small businesses, public means, common people and males from 18-25.
Imagine if World of Warcraft was knocked off and all that was seen was a ANON + LULSEC production notice.
Imagine if thousands upon thousands of small businesses had their business accounts drained and locked out with lulsec claiming responsibility.
Imagine if sporting events around the world were disrupted with power outages or broadcasting abilities turned off, and lulsec claims responsibility.

Middleclass, middle-aged common people would be outraged, and thus... anti-hackerism!

I hope im wrong, i really do!
edit on 21-6-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yeah i was going to say that anon will need to distance themselves from this pretty quickly. Unless of coarse this is something to do with one of their operations. Has distributor IT done anybody wrong? Other than putting all their eggs in one basket.

I've seen so many new stories linking anon and lulzsec in the last couple of days. I wonder if it is deliberatly obvious that its a gov red team. I will def sit on the fence until we see whether this is a legit movement or just the CIA response to ANON inc.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

some interesting points are on this "source".....

Lulz Conn

at least it makes ya wonder WHY ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join