“ … It’s an ugly planet … a bug planet …. “
- quote by the reporter on the movie Starship Troopers, just before a bug kills him off.
Humans think they are the predominate critter on Earth.
But I say … it’s the bugs and the germs and viruses!
Earth is an ugly planet … a bug planet … and they rule!!
There are ‘only’ 6 billion humans on this planet. (I say ‘only’ because I’m comparing numbers of humans to numbers of bugs, germs, and
viruses) We are poorly designed sacks of water and matter … and full of bugs and germs. We live on a planet of mostly water and some matter …
and that is full of bugs and germs. Long before we were here .. and long after we kill ourselves off … the bugs and germs will still thrive.
- Full body - the skin supports about 1 trillion bacteria
- That bacteria contains hundreds of different species.
- Bunches of mites live on your eyelashes!
- 90 trillion or so microbes live in/on the average human body.
- When we ‘catch’ something like athletes foot .. that number rises.
- 500 species of bacteria live inside the human gut
- dental plaque - Streptococcus sanguis and S. mutans - multitudes of germs!
- Had chicken pox or the vaccination? Varicella-zoster is living in you.
- 99 types of human Rhino Virus ..
- There are 31,088 type of known cold virus in the world.
- Millions of viruses, 5,000 with detailed descriptions.
- More than 800,000 types of insects are known
- Up to 10,000 new bugs are discovered each year.
- Science estimates 10 million bug types are waiting to be discovered.
- Bugs survive radiation much better than humans.
- Germs and Viruses bring us to our knees.
- Bacteria have been here 3 billion years. How about humans?
So .. considering everything - I’m thinking Earth is a bug planet - not a human one!
Side note - if that’s true, then perhaps ET is bug-like and not interested in humans at all. Maybe they are more interested in their little bug
Discover Magazine – your body is a planet
How many germs are on your hands?
how many types of cold virus
ABC – Bugs and radiation
Water bugs survive cold/vacuum of space
Nuclear News – Insects much more resistant to Ionising
Planet of Bacteria
edit on 6/20/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote