It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human consciousness is much more than mere brain activity

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Some people are saying we are :

1....Animals with more intellect than we should have,because we don't understand.

2....Don't actually exist and in a dream.

3....Animals with a spirit or something useing the body for ???

The first one dosn't make sense because why would any animal destroy the planet it needs to live on.

The second wouldn't you be able to make things appear and disappear at will ?

The third actually makes alot of sense . A spirit or whatever doesn't need a planet to live on, so why would it be bothered about destroying it.
I would like to point out I am not religious , If I am right and the spirit or ? left the body before we die would the physical part of us be just another animal.???

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by hawkiye
It is the soul or consciousness or the operator that animates the body it is not a result of the bodies chemical and mechanical workings.

Then why don't "souls" also operate in corpses or other inanimate objects?

Also, what is a "soul" and what evidence do we have that they even exist?

Souls don't operate in corpses and other inanimate objects because a soul is developed, grown by cooperation of the human will and the divine spirit that is within us all. The reception of this divine spirit is not related to association of any religious belief, only moral choices. The average person receives theirs around 5 or 6 years old when they make their first truly moral decision. So the bottom line is souls are not pre-existant.

The material self, the ego-entity of human identity, is dependent during the physical life on the continuing function of the material life vehicle, on the continued existence of the unbalanced equilibrium of energies and intellect which, has been given the name life. But selfhood of survival value, selfhood that can transcend the experience of death, is only evolved by establishing a potential transfer of the seat of the identity of the evolving personality from the transient life vehicle — the material body — to the more enduring and immortal nature of the soul and on beyond to those levels whereon the soul becomes infused with, and eventually attains the status of, spirit reality. This actual transfer from material association to spiritiual identification is effected by the sincerity, persistence, and steadfastness of the God-seeking decisions of the human creature.

After death the material body returns to the elemental world from which it was derived, but two nonmaterial factors of surviving personality persist: The pre-existent divine spirit, with the memory transcription of the mortal career, and there also remains, the immortal soul of the deceased human. These phases and forms of soul, these once kinetic but now static formulas of identity, are essential to repersonalization ; and it is the reunion of the divine spirit and the soul that reassembles the surviving personality, that reconsciousizes you at the time of the re-awakening.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm a madman.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened
I'm a madman.

If it makes you feel better, going from denial to acceptance is the first step on the road to recovery ...

edit on 23-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Jezus

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by 11118

They are not "pretty much explainable" that's a misunderstanding on your part.

I'm sure you understand that such explanations pale in insignificance to the amount of opposing information on either side of the argument. Which makes NDEs, OBEs, and reincarnation plausible until further notice.

You're using circular logic.

There is NO good reason to think that reincarnations exist, WHATSOEVER!!!

Logic itself is the reason.

Again, circular psuedo logic. Logic is the application of reason. So....the application of reason is reason enough?!
....ooookay!!

First you have to start with knowledge (Physiological psychology is a good place to start)

Than you use logical reasoning to comprehend the fundamental nature of consciousness.

You will learn that "there is NO good reason to think" that consciousness is destroyed just because the physical vehicle is.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Jezus is a wise man

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

You know what Ethan.. I talked to an enlightened master ( I luckily have access to one ) and told her of this same study. She said she doesn't use any brain at all, as her consciousness is that of intelligence prior to knowledge .. And in that consciousness there are no thoughts at all .. It's just pure IS / pure awareness.. that's as close to what it's like .. Yet she is able to fully function in this world, suggesting that even without thinking, one can function more effectively in the world ( which is exactly the purpose of meditation in the first place - to stop your thinking and to still your mind ..) It sounds paradoxical to our daily experience ....

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by silvadude12
My Atheist friends, you need to open your eyes. The brain is too perfect to be created by blind random chance. Look what it does. Look at the world around you, with eyes that are part of your brain. The sensations you feel, the sounds you hear, the things you see. can you honestly look around you and tell me that that "chunk of meat" in your head was created randomly? That we are just another part of the world that was accidentally created? I don't think you can. Look into yourself. You have been given a gift. it's a little something called Consciousness. Use it.

You need to find God, my friends.

I'm curious, does this reasoning apply to God also? By your own admission within your second sentence, something so perfect must not have been created by chance. Implying that humans need to find God the gift of consciousness and our "perfect" brain structure must surely transverse up the ladder here. Does God need to find his own higher power to thank as well? I think your sentiment is well, but I believe your logic is flawed.

Personally, I'm not sure what to make of consciousness. While I do believe our electrical current in our bodies dissipates upon death & is recycled back into nature, I'm not as confident that a consciousness does the same elsewhere in the purported layers of existence. I am more apt to believe that our electrical current is only that, and upon death & dissipation, the proverbial hard drive is wiped. Our human legacy after death may in fact be our planet. In a cosmic sense, if we consistently replenish that energy back into the planet in such a way, I feel we all are destined to be as at one with the universe as possible.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
“Alright Brain...Its all up to you.”
Homer Simpson

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Bekijk de Noorderlicht-aflevering 'Killing Time'

platonia.com...

Under papers you'll find some on Papers on the Relativity of Time and Motion.

This video discusses the very nature of infinity or time even that I had very good confirmation on, Higher Self/Infinite Self, the moment I began contemplating itself.

In Quantum Physics, beyond the Double Slit experiment itself, often called the Observer affect, there is more.
Though atoms themselves are not seen as little marbles anymore, but as waves of potential, they also are not the same waves at each moment, or nano second. We are completely made again. Each atom disappears and reappears.

Deep thinking is necessary. They are not just transported to an invisible realm and then back, they are different atoms. There is a new you each time.

Infinite void is often described as infinity, but infinity merely means endlessness and nothingness merely a clean sheet of paper to create on. However things don't come from nothingness without somethingness arranging that.

Infinity is ocean upon ocean of infinite energies and intellects. I say ocean upon ocean, because there is not one type or place, but infinite types, and varieties, without limits, there can be no boundary or One. And no measurement.

Since there is a new you, the entire concept of movement itself, even our planet orbiting its star, come into question. Is there really movement then?

Each snapshot is the now. There has only been a change with each one. Like a different coloring page, something changed, but it didn't move. Each snapshot is eternal yet now, and feel as if its over in a flash.

The entire reality we're in is much different than we think. And since measurement is not possible the order of the snapshots is irrelevant, except to Consciousness.

Consciousness itself is the primary shaper of everything and collapses the wave of probability.

In infinity, endless void or endless matter, in a chicken and the egg scenario. Both, or neither, one or the other are all probabilities yet, only one is real.

Since nothing can only give birth to nothing, and we are in something. What is, is, for it is real. And each moment stretches endlessly, infinitely.

The pryamid structures are found everywhere as a symbol of vampiric rule/draco rule, slavery, however you wish to write this.

But without time, that doesnt exist, there are 3 elements or angles in 3d, and if they meet at the point of big bang, or the TV set being turned on even, they spread out as an inverted pyramid, to infinity, infinite everything.

Consciousness is primary.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A closed-mind is like a closed parachute.
Pull the rip-cord and you Athy's might start to 'get-it'.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT

So, what do you all think? Is consciousness more than the brain? OR, are we just programs running some sort of execution set?

I just posted in a thread discussing "zombie-ism" and how some bacteria, protozoans, etc, take over animals and make them do their bidding the proposition that; "What if what makes us "conscious" or gives us a sense of self is actually generated by one of the many organisms that inhabit our bodies?"

In a recent New Scientist I read that we are all born 100% human, but immediately (sometimes during birth) become inhabited with many organisms, and we die 90% microbal and only 10% human. Maybe thats why we form no memories as infants. Maybe, the microbes are what gives us consciousness and a sense of self and "operate" our brains, and it simply takes a couple years for them to gain control over their meat puppet. (Our physical bodies)

We know that various bacteria and protozoans and even the viral DNA wound up in our own can affect our behavior. Some bacteria in dirt contribute to happiness and a sense of well being, some gut bacteria may be implicated in various conditions of the brain, like depression and maybe even Parkinsons, and other infections can activate the viral bits interwound in our own DNA affecting our mental state profoundly, and it is thought that might play a role in Schizophrenia and bipolar disease.

Toxoplasmosis infection affects the behavior of creatures which it inhabits, making some behave very recklessly to get them eaten and when humans are infected, especially those who are Rh negative, it causes them to be more accident prone and less coordinated.

So, what if, "we" are actually the product of our microbal load? What if "we" arent what we think we are, at all? Some of our spiritual traditions, "everything is one," for instance, would make sense if "we" were actually a product of cells dividing, "one" thing replicating itself identically. You could really run with the concept if you wanted to, in terms of how many spiritual ideas would make a different sort of sense if "we" were inhabitants of bodies, and not actually the body itself.

It will be interesting to see, now that we are really beginning to explore the complex interaction between the majority inhabitants of the human body, and the body itself, what is actually causing what. I suspect we may find some shocking and at least initially disturbing facts.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

experienced or factual, we can be delusional also

But how do you now which conscious moment is the delusion?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Our brain is a computer terminal. accessing imformation from the super counciousness 3D reality. We are biological beings that have the ability to to experience external phenomenos such as time and space. There are two parts to the equation of counciousness. The giver and the receiver.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
Human consciousness is nothing more than mere brain activity. Everything we do can be explained by a certain part of the brain having a different function than the next one, which in combination makes us the people we are, who think what we think, do what we do, say what we say, see what we see, etc.

Nothing more than?

Human consciuousness is the end all be all of your experience....

To speak of it as "nothing more than" is to reek of nihilism...

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I will have to dig into this one. 10 % human when we die? I would have never thought that. I know that our bodies cells replaced themselves at at 7 or so year rate but I never figured in the other "contaminates" that get sucked into our systems as we grow.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Could be wrong but doesn't the latest in quantum theory suggest that matter (brain) is a product of consciousness?
So how could the brain produce consciousness if it is observation by consciousness that is producing the brain?
I yam so confused

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join