It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human consciousness is much more than mere brain activity

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
TO those who have had dogs or pets before now and that have sadly died, I would ask the question: DID YOU LOVE THEM? Normal answer yes! I would then say prove it. Something’s you all know, but cannot produce any physical evidence to substantiate this fact at all, so the physical science side would say, you did not love them at all, as there is no evidence to support it. But you could say, ask my friends and family, that’s not evidence, it’s anecdotal statements. But you know it’s true. You loved them very much, the emotion is real and was real…

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Claim: weight of a human soul - just under an ounce

A physician placed dying patience upon a scale in order
to measure the weight of a human soul.

source

edit on 21/6/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by outerlimits

As I see it, death of the physical is the continuation of this great journey the body is just the beggining of this journey acorss the infinite void of dimensions and realities. Again, if anyone wants to see the collapse of their bodies and the demise of themselves as only being cell degradation and electrical impulses that’s their choice. In my mind, I have a future to look forward to, an adventure, they obviously DON’T! How sad...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf
Claim: weight of a human soul - just under an ounce

A physician placed dying patience upon a scale in order
to measure the weight of a human soul.

source

edit on 21/6/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

Yes I know about this one, interesting is it not!!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
This is interesting: given by my old friend Peter Fenwick.

embedr.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by skywalker_
If consciousness was indeed the ultimate dimension, then what would the dimension of thought be
interesing question for sure ...

Thought is the interaction between consciousness and the physical information of the brain.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Jezus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by outerlimits

As I see it, death of the physical is the continuation of this great journey the body is just the beggining of this journey acorss the infinite void of dimensions and realities. Again, if anyone wants to see the collapse of their bodies and the demise of themselves as only being cell degradation and electrical impulses that’s their choice. In my mind, I have a future to look forward to, an adventure, they obviously DON’T! How sad...

I think it's sad that people delude themselves into believing there is an afterlife just because they are so afraid that this life is all there is. See, I can be condescending as well. I'm perfectly at peace that this life is all there is, and I enjoy being alive for that very reason. Don't feel sad for us atheists bro, we're doing just fine. And if there is life after death, then that's just a bonus for us.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by OMsk3ptic

I think it's sad that people delude themselves into believing there is an afterlife just because they are so afraid that this life is all there is. See, I can be condescending as well. I'm perfectly at peace that this life is all there is, and I enjoy being alive for that very reason. Don't feel sad for us atheists bro, we're doing just fine. And if there is life after death, then that's just a bonus for us.

We are all in our own place and our own universe, the question is how far do we wish to expand that known universe ?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
this also supplies some other asects to consider:

The truth is the universe is alive.

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force.
Thus we can conclude and assume behind this force is the existence of a conscious an intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all know mater

The farther of quantum physics Max Planck.

edit on 21-6-2011 by outerlimits because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Supposedly there have been many doctors over the years that placed a sign with some words on it high on a shelf over the bed of terminally ill patients. It was laying down and there is no way the patient or anyone could read what it said.

The doctors were looking for people who would pass then be brought back with the crash carts. They wanted to know if the patient was able to "see" the written words placed on the sign laying down up on that shelf...as the soul raised from the body....

To date no data has been released on any of these private studies done by doctors. If you work at a hospital you can do this little experiment yourself and see what you find out.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Supposedly there have been many doctors over the years that placed a sign with some words on it high on a shelf over the bed of terminally ill patients. It was laying down and there is no way the patient or anyone could read what it said.

The doctors were looking for people who would pass then be brought back with the crash carts. They wanted to know if the patient was able to "see" the written words placed on the sign laying down up on that shelf...as the soul raised from the body....

To date no data has been released on any of these private studies done by doctors. If you work at a hospital you can do this little experiment yourself and see what you find out.

Yes your right, Dr P fenwick has conducted such experiments. The results, I have no knowledge of at this time but will attempt to find out.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by skywalker_

Hi skywalker,

You should check out the link in one of my posts on page 3 of this thread: Meditation found to increase brain size. Although not "enlightened masters", they did test some monks that meditate frequently and did find physiological changes in the brain. Pretty neat stuff.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

TO those who have had dogs or pets before now and that have sadly died, I would ask the question: DID YOU LOVE THEM? Normal answer yes! I would then say prove it. Something’s you all know, but cannot produce any physical evidence to substantiate this fact at all, so the physical science side would say, you did not love them at all, as there is no evidence to support it. But you could say, ask my friends and family, that’s not evidence, it’s anecdotal statements. But you know it’s true. You loved them very much, the emotion is real and was real…

Another interesting aspect of this is the fMRI images. Some folks would say that they could watch your brain in an fMRI as you think about your pet and potentially see the area that lights up and then say "see, I proved it, you love your pet!!"

Only problem is, the only reason that result makes sense, is that the experimenter is familar with the experience of love.

There's no math, or known mechanism, that shows how love works in the brain, let alone how we experience love, or even why it should be in that region of the brain.

We have to refer back to our own experiences of love, to understand the results of the test.

We're using consciousness to understand consciousness ... tricky stuff ;-)

edit on 21-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

this also supplies some other asects to consider:

The truth is the universe is alive.

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force.
Thus we can conclude and assume behind this force is the existence of a conscious an intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all know mater

The farther of quantum physics Max Planck.

And, here's some gems from Schrodinger (discoverer of the non-relativistic equation for the QM wave function) talking about Oneness.

"The world is given to me only once, not one existing and one perceived. Subject and object are only one. The barrier between them cannot be said to have broken down as a result of recent experience in the physical sciences, for this barrier does not exist." - ES

"Quantum physics thus reveals a basic oneness of the universe." - ES

Subject and Object are only one? sounds like the Yoga Sutras to me!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
Another interesting aspect of this is the fMRI images. Some folks would say that they could watch your brain in an fMRI as you think about your pet and potentially see the area that lights up and then say "see, I proved it, you love your pet!!"

Only problem is, the only reason that result makes sense, is that the experimenter is familar with the experience of love.

There's no math, or known mechanism, that shows how love works in the brain, let alone how we experience love, or even why it should be in that region of the brain.

We have to refer back to our own experiences of love, to understand the results of the test.

We're using consciousness to understand consciousness ... tricky stuff ;-)

Here's another way to look at this.

Let's say an alien species landed on the planet and wnated to have a scientific exchange. Let's suppose they have an entirely different set of emotions than we do.

Well, once we worked out our differences in mathematical notation and language, we could easily convey to them the content of our theory of General Relativity. Math is a universal "language". And, they would be able to fully appreciate the theory on an intellectual level.

Now, we could show the aliens fMRI images of a human brain experiencing love but, since they have no experience of love themselves, they will never be able to fully appreciate the results. Even if it was possible to write down a mathematical equation for love, without ever actually experiencing love for yourself, the equation could never convey the full truth of the experience. It would be like a person born blind rubbing their fingers over braille that spells out Maxwell's Equations and trying to get a feel for what the experience of vision is like.

So, I (and anybody else) can get a feeling for the structure of spacetime by solely analyzing the math of general relativity. But, I doubt we will ever have something similar for emotional experience, or conscious experience, in general.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

everything is consciousness....

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by BasedGod
reply to post by EthanT

everything is consciousness....

Which really means you attempt to have everything in (your) mind.

High ideal, but unrealistic.

Still, it could lead to high performance, so go for it.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
although i would agree with the article, there is more to the human mind than just neurons firing, i actually CAN feel different parts of my brain working. selective parts when a specific task or stimuli of sufficient magnitude is introduced. for instance, i can feel where the music center of my brain is, and i can also feel different parts along the top sides turn on and off with music.

This isn't being denied, except perhaps as part of determinist strawmen.

Neural correlates of reported conscious states have been investigated and are fairly consistent.

Right knowledge accounts for all observable facts.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
"I think therefor I am." is a misnomer.

The correct way is, "I am therefor I think". Existence and being-ness comes before processes of thought.

The Universe is alive and Infinite in both microcosmic and macro-cosmic respects. There is no separateness between your consciousness and the consciousness of the keyboard you type on.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by skywalker_
reply to post by unityemissions

please know that you can prove yourself wrong by doing some research on NDEs, OBEs, and reincarnation.. you are simply wrong about consciousness not being able to exist outside of the body. If even one case appears to be correct, verify the information yourself, and then you can prove yourself wrong again..

Reincarnation?!

NDEs and OBEs are pretty much explainable, but you need to understand the subconscious is very powerful first...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join