It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human consciousness is much more than mere brain activity

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

You just sold that book to me! It all makes sense when you put it that way.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by dimburg

..... regularly lucid dream and explore the cosmos.

Everything experienced can pretty much be explained rationally.

You just mean you were dreaming that you can explore the cosmos and NOT actually exploring it, right?

Otherwise, I'm not sure how you are going to explain that rationally under today's dominant scientific paradigm.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Consciousness is immeasurable, unquantifiable and completely seperate from these machines we call bodies.

The energy we use to experience returns to the energy in the universe, full of new perspectives of what 'IT' is.

A closed loop that appears open...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
Human consciousness is nothing more than mere brain activity. Everything we do can be explained by a certain part of the brain having a different function than the next one, which in combination makes us the people we are, who think what we think, do what we do, say what we say, see what we see, etc.

Bro did you even read the post... I would expect a lil literacy out of the pac

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

Obviously, yea... I was Imagining exploring cosmos.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by outerlimits
reply to post by renegadeloser

I note it seems no one has mentioned out of body experiences yet and near death, how does normal science answer this? And by the way, it has nothing to do with oxygen starvation. Why, I spent years researching this area along with telepathy working with one of the world’s leading researchers within this area.

see following!

www.skeptiko.com...

edit on 20-6-2011 by outerlimits because: (no reason given)

Hi outerlimts,

That skeptiko interview was interesting. Especially what they talked about around 16:20. The fact that folks who try and commit suicide and fail AND have an NDE, are actually less likely to try and commit suicide again compared to those who did not have an NDE.

Since the NDEs in this study were apparently pleasurable, you'd almost think it would make them more likely to commit suicide again, but instead they get a new found hope in life.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
If nobody is looking at Jupiter is it still there? Yes, it is. How do we know? The effects it has on our solar system of course.

Consciousness is an awareness, for something to exist there must be something of existence aware of its being-ness; this is a concept of deeper science e.g. Quantum Physics and their mechanical properties at a quantum level. All is conscious, the Universe is "alive" and intelligent down to the simplest forms of reality.

When one becomes aware of the infinite consciousness of all things, they understand who/what they are as a unique self-aware infinite portion of this boundless entity which some may call the "creator". Such a Creator creates of itself in perpetuity (being-ness).

When you see that there is no separateness betwixt each portion of an Infinite consciousness/entity then you realize that you are co-creating whether it be consciously or subconsciously. Every thought, emotion, feeling, action, word, idea, etc.. radiates from you and shapes and puts forth actions both metaphysically and physically even if you are entirely unaware.

There is no end to you as their was never a beginning, such concepts are of a linear timeline not an infinite one. To have infinity it cannot be linear, it must exist in an eternal present. Such understandings are but confusions to the rational mind which only sees in linear concepts. Yet, their is irrationality with you, imagination, a "feeling" of something far more - such concepts cannot be created with the brain which only chooses to perceive in rational chunks of incoming data. So where does your imagination come from? Where does that love of something greater come from? That is the great mystery that is closer to you than your breathing, waiting for you to remember what you have chosen to forget temporarily for the sake of a realistic "life". Is your life real? Or are you dreaming? Where are you, what are you, how did you get here, why are you here. These answers rest within you for your answers are your own.

When you dream, and you are in your dream it feels so real. Do you ever remember how you got to that point in your dream? You may know how it ended as you wake up, but you never remembered how it started. If you did remember would it feel realistic? No, but if you did not remember how you got there would that mean you didn't exist before that point? You wake up from the dream and you know you existed before that dream even though you hadn't thought so whilst in the dream - but if you existed how could you forget in the first place. Think about this concept.

The paradox is not outside of yourself, you are your own paradox. Do not worry though, you are never alone and there is never an end to you or your journey of seeking.

Scientists can only measure physicality with physical senses and instruments, but how do you measure something that is immeasurable and boundless? Something that exists outside of such perception besides your own inner perception? You don't. Science is blind, it can tell you what is happening, and how it is happening - but why such things happen in the first place is a gray area for science.

edit on 20-6-2011 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Then why don't "souls" also operate in corpses or other inanimate objects?

Why don't you operate a broken computer or car etc? If the bio-mechanism is damaged the soul cannot use it to express in the physical world. Just as you cannot express in cyber space if your computer is damaged.

Also, what is a "soul" and what evidence do we have that they even exist?

A soul is the real you it is what animates the body gives it life etc. See my several previous posts in this thread I have posted scientific evidence.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

The real you is a complex of the mind, body, and soul. This complex exists continuously even through death even though the body (your authentic body) is of a different (energetic) nature. The three, although portioned by description, are merely the same and cannot function without the other.

edit on 20-6-2011 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Consciousness is the infinite that which encompasses everything. It is the true driving force behind existence. Henceforth, the only reason you exist, is because you yourself, decided to exist.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Guy's magic mushrooms , lets give it a try

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by summerbreeze.ddp
reply to post by solid007

That is a great addition to the thread. Have you considered then how it is that we all see the same thing? If the image is not really there, but just a picture generated in our brains why will everyone see that same thing? I thought of that the other day when I was driving home from work. Your brain is part of a universal consciousness. The things that we perceive in this universe we can see because we are on the same frequency. Just because we cannot "see" other frequencies does not mean that they do not exist or are any less real than this one that we can "see". I have read articles that say that the brain is a receiver of a frequency that we all share. That we all see the same things says to me that we all really do share this consciousness..

Exactly , ask the manufacturer !!!

Apple manufactured iphone 4 , they all the same and operates the same likewise all human , we all the same but different personalities.Question is who manufactured us..this is hard to swallow for some people.

edit on 20-6-2011 by solid007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dystopiaphiliac

Yet another failure to even understand the question I asked. If I had a nickel...

edit on 20-6-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by laymanskeptic

You just spouted out a whole lot of jargon that lead to nowhere, LOL!

Was that a logic loop?!

If so, count me out...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

This consciousness stuff is all bullcrap, its just something made up by people that are hoping something happens to us kinda like nibiru and the end of the world

Obviously people are desperate for a change but they dont want to put in any effort if you want to change the world get your ass out there and do something
edit on 20-6-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This was a great article. S&F! I truly believe that there is A LOT more than we know or could understand and that our potential is limitless...It's been said before us...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dystopiaphiliac
Why should I tell you what fear, love, lust, hatred, compassion and jealousy are when so many intelligent psychologists and scientists have already discovered the complex chemicals coursing through our veins distributed between nerves at the terminal button through the synapses?

Physiological psychology studies correlations between perceived states of consciousness and brain chemicals (very small moving pieces).

However, correlation is not causation.

These moving pieces do not create feelings they simply pass the message back and forth.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

That's according to you i assume

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's time for everybody to admit that if human behavior is entirely deterministic, with decision-making entirely reducible to deterministic physics within the brain, then there is no room for experience.

None, whatsoever.

This is due to the fact that the very discussion of the concept of experience takes place through a physical medium; therefore the qualia themselves must necessarily have an impact on the physical environment. If discussions of qualia are meaningful, then the brain is not fully deterministic. If the brain is fully deterministic, then qualia (experience) do not exist.

If you're not a p-zed then you know that qualia do exist.

Therefore your brain is not fully deterministic. QED.

I studied computational neuroscience and built neural networks in grad school. I see through ya'all's attempts to distract from this fundamental problem through the use of big words.

edit on 20-6-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
Human consciousness is nothing more than mere brain activity. Everything we do can be explained by a certain part of the brain having a different function than the next one, which in combination makes us the people we are, who think what we think, do what we do, say what we say, see what we see, etc.

Nope sorry, consciousness creates brain activity, not the other way around. Stop reading what other people say about it and SEE IT FOR YOURSELF.

Meditate and find out. But you won't, will you? You're too lazy, and you want to defer to people you think are smart and special because you're too scared to find out through direct experience.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join