It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Every now and then I hear of many articles trying to debunk atheists. These topics offer a Christian perspective on spirituality and God. On these various topics they try to make atheists believe there is God. Why?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As the Blue's Brother's once said 'I'm on a mission from God." They think that the future of your soul is at stake and they need to spread the word (the Bible tells them to do so). They are taught by the Church to spread the word and bring non believer's on board.

From a psychological stance, it makes them feel better about themselves and potentially makes it easier to get into heaven.

From a sociological stance, they are looking for you to join their 'club" so you can hang with them and be part of the group.

That's my take.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The same reason why atheists go on Christian websites and jeer at people so others may become a "free thinker".

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Personally, I think they are seeking out approval for their viewpoints or "findings".

Like how a total ufo believer will invite a skeptic to view their latest pictures of out of focus white dots or whatnot...seeking acceptance..and if they can stump a skeptic, that gives them personal confirmation that they may not be totally delusional and wishful.

Not all, but many.

This is not a one way street either.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
The same reason why atheists go on Christian websites and jeer at people so others may become a "free thinker".

Heck, I'll give you the star if no one else will.

Best answer right there. The same exact reason Atheists preach their lack of belief to the Theists.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

and if they can stump a skeptic, that gives them personal confirmation that they may not be totally delusional and wishful.

What if the greatest joy in my life is being 'totally delusional and wishful'?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

The Blues Brother's also said, "Quit hitting me you F# penguin!" I just had to say that. To be frank I really do not care what other people believe as long as it is not hurting other human beings by doing so. There is no one who is going to convince me there is clear incontrovertible proof of existence of or against god yet. That's just how I feel about it anyways.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

That's my take.

It sure is. Preaching the gospel doesn't earn anyone entry to heaven, nor does Christianity teach this.

You're thinking of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by SaturnFX

and if they can stump a skeptic, that gives them personal confirmation that they may not be totally delusional and wishful.

What if the greatest joy in my life is being 'totally delusional and wishful'?

That is one of the best arguments I have ever come across during my spiritual seeking days.
I used to go into this psychics and spiritualists chat...being the dogmatic skeptic...(really I just wanted someone to amaze me with a impromptu accurate psychic reading, but the guise was skeptic)

Anyhow, talking for days, weeks, and months with one guy in specific...pretty articulate guy, one of those older super spiritualist types...you know, like talking to deepak chopra mixed with zen...anyhow, I was going on about truth, understanding, etc...

He totally stopped me one night and made me rethink my whole motivation.

I made an example...about a person whom has daily ghost experiences...sits in a rocking chair, and feels tingles and shivers, coldness, etc...and thinks its their long lost whomever...well, the reality is that they are sitting underneath an air conditioning vent and are experiencing just a direct air conditioning feed going on them and associating it...I said who wouldn't want to know the truth..that sort of argument.

He said what does it matter...that illusion makes them happy, makes them feel good about life, and about themself...why point out something that would only make them unhappy but doesn't actually stop the general belief...it just robs them of something they enjoy, that harms nobody, and replaces it with nothing.

I felt there was truth to that...people do often feel better if they have a personal belief, especially when it helps them cope with stuff from day to day...and I do actually feel a bit bad whenever I make an argument that removes some comfort from someone and replace it with nothing. I do wish I could add something as I take away something, and I do try (you will note I often try to add some different philosophy or token spiritualist take when talking about some belief that is personal to someone while smashing down their wall).

but ya...that is a very good argument to pose and should at least give pause to anyone attacking whom has a bit of a heart or empathy.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Christians (such as I), and other religions, do this at an attempt to convince you of their own beliefs for they see truth in their beliefs and wish others to know this truth. They want others to share this truth to increase the joy that exists from having this knowledge and what it portends.

If you believed one was making a mistake, whether ignorantally or consciously, you would want to correct this exercise of evil and bring the person into a better light of understanding.

The problem is we all have our different perceptions of truth. Theists see God as an indivisable truth while atheists reject such a notion. Theists also have their own suppositions of God and how to understand and formulate Him.

I find people generally wish to convert out of the wish to share their present happiness and knowledge with others but it can be corrupted or dissolved when one's own views are challenged making logical or theological debate over God a hard process to undertake.

I ask you to bear with someone who is trying to do this, even if you don't agree with the person, and rather such to empathize with the person and not to be annoyed by such a distraction. People, usually, do not endeavor such time to objectives if they feel it is not in the other person's best interest to hear it (I hope).

Also, there is bias in my statements (for I am a Christian) and would like others to discover and experience God as I have so I apologize for this.

May God bless you friends

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's interesting that you would say this. I work beside a JW and you are bang on. She has really discouraged me from the entire Christianity thing. She reminds me of what I would envision a radical Muslim being like. She comes across as very judgemental and 100 percent sure of her belief. Everyone else is out to lunch and condemned to Hell.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Not sure where you get that impression from. Christians are not trying to convert anyone, if they are, they're going about it all wrong, although there intention is certainly righteous.

The thing is, no one can "convert" someone into a Christian, that choice alone comes from yourself. As a Christian, I merely spread what I know to be true, I may not try to cram it down peoples throats, but that doesn't mean I'll remain silent either. My intent is never to convince you I'm right or you're wrong, it's just my beliefs.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

My grandpa is like that. He's literally the greatest person I've ever known, despite our differing beliefs.

He doesn't try to cram his beliefs down my throat, and because of that, I usually come to him when I have questions regarding Christianity. It's good to just be able to talk to someone without them yelling that you're going to go to hell every five minutes.

top topics

join