It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Everyone who defends the bible verse "spare the rod, you spoil the child"

Why not use a real rod?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrGrimm
reply to post by newcovenant

That is an observation at best, you have no evidence supporting your argument.
And that's goes for everyone here who claims not spanking a child, when they endanger their lives or the lives of others, is unneccessary.

Well yes I do but why don't you show me evidence corporal punishment does not result in lasting, permanent effects that would not be present without it?

You got any evidence like that?

Believe you me; there is a mountain of supporting evidence and if there wasn't this judge could not possibly in a million years penalize for physical assault of a child because he feels like it.

Not physical assault? If they are grown up one adult can have the another arrested for a simple slap. It is assault - That's what the law calls it. Within the parent-child relationship however and up until recently anyway, you can usually get away with it.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

You can slap a child of any age who goes near the hot stove but you are only training like a Pavlovs dog. They never know why they don't go near the stove but true enough they won't.

Isn't it a little stupid (and to a child especially so) to harm a child to keep it from harming itself?

Instead of slapping a child for your own inability to monitor their behavior and keep them away from danger - it would be better to keep the child protectively held in a crib or play pen until they are old enough to explore.
Soon they will be mature enough to sense and observe that stove themselves. If they do not quickly figure the stove is hot and they will burn themselves on it without you telling them, it is a necessary and critical indicator you have a developmentally handicapped child.

Sugar makes children irritable, chaotic and unruly too so if you have behavioral problems you could be bringing them on yourself. Take away the drug effects of the sugar and you might just keep their attention for a few minutes at a time to teach them something.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

A felony? This woman gets a felony conviction for giving her kid a typical spanking?

But what right does this judge think that he can tell this woman not to mildly spank her child?

Spanking a child mildly is an effective tool in teaching disciplining a child. Certainly it should be used after other methods are attempted, but giving a kid a swat on the kiester is not child abuse and certainly should not be considered a felony.

The kid was not harmed, the kid was taken to the hospital and no injury observed.

The entire business was brought forth by the paternal grandmother? Is it likely that there is a bit of bad blood between the two? Absolutely.

If we had our kids totally doped up on drugs the way the elite would prefer there would not be any misbehaving, so perhaps the solution to not get convicted of a felony when, after other methods of displine fail, you give your kid a spanking.

www.volunteertv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

This is Texas, Texans are all inbred or there is something in the water. Either way they just aren't right in the head(haven't met one I didn't have to bite my lip). Most states allow what the mother did because even in the news clipping it say's she didn't do it to hurt the kid, didn't leave bruises or beat the child. Just slight discipline.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

a discussion turns violent....interrupts moms and the kid slaps her.....if i thought about that.....there would've been a technical difficulty.....

this concerned UNCLE presumably charged with raising his nephew, explains why he delivered this spanking.
As a black male who's carried too many caskets or shed tears for dead friends over gangs, it's necessary.

**warning, extremely pissed off parental figure, Strong language, turn speakers down, but hear the message**

edit on 19-6-2011 by ahmonrarh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I am not really opposed to spanking because it can be an effective deterrent; however, I don't think it is necessary.

If my child breaks the rules, he loses something he dearly loves. He WILL incur additional chores and he WILL sit there and listen to what I am saying without a smart ass mouth. His punishment depends on him. If he keeps pushing I keep adding to his punishment. As long as my child lives under my roof, he live under my rules.

He learns very quickly that I will be more than happy to increase his punishment if he continuously steps out of line. It is rare that I have to punish him as he understand the consequences and my resolve for enforcement.

Take a kids internet away for a month and they learn respect pretty quick.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
There's something wrong with the parenting if violence is required.

I know, right. I see all those other mammals on documentaries scolding their offspring with little nips and swats and I think "What is wrong with the mammals?" We are clearly doomed if we don't get our act together and stop dominating and correcting our offspring.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

You can slap a child of any age who goes near the hot stove but you are only training like a Pavlovs dog. They never know why they don't go near the stove but true enough they won't.

Isn't it a little stupid (and to a child especially so) to harm a child to keep it from harming itself?

Instead of slapping a child for your own inability to monitor their behavior and keep them away from danger - it would be better to keep the child protectively held in a crib or play pen until they are old enough to explore.
Soon they will be mature enough to sense and observe that stove themselves. If they do not quickly figure the stove is hot and they will burn themselves on it without you telling them, it is a necessary and critical indicator you have a developmentally handicapped child.

Sugar makes children irritable, chaotic and unruly too so if you have behavioral problems you could be bringing them on yourself. Take away the drug effects of the sugar and you might just keep their attention for a few minutes at a time to teach them something.

You don't have kids do you? Keep a child in a crib or a playpen until they have learned that stoves are hot? What!!! How precisely will they learn that sitting in a crib? and to suggest that if if they cannot learn that for themselves without any experience of being either burned themselves or being told by the parent that it is a critical indicator of a developmentally challenged child is an incredibly ignorant assumption and totally wrong. And how would they independently learn about road safety from their crib or playpen?

I think you're just making arguments up for the sake of it, and notably you replied to yourself in your last post! I wonder what arguing with yourself is an indicator of?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

You don't have kids do you? Keep a child in a crib or a playpen until they have learned that stoves are hot? What!!! How precisely will they learn that sitting in a crib? and to suggest that if if they cannot learn that for themselves without any experience of being either burned themselves or being told by the parent that it is a critical indicator of a developmentally challenged child is an incredibly ignorant assumption and totally wrong. And how would they independently learn about road safety from their crib or playpen?

Thanks for YOUR opinion. I see you are an expert in the field of child development.

Let's see those kids and see if they ALSO believe in hitting their children.
I'll bet they do (or they will). .... all the best little soldiers. Falling right in line.

Now if you want my opinion to your argument:
I don't see one.
I think you just want a convenient reason to justify striking your child as if they were bad
when they are not bad, when they are just being curious adventurous children.
Yes, you will want to NIP THAT IN THE BUD. (it does make your little ones much easier to CONTROL -and that's what this whole spank or no spank is all about)

RE: WHAT!!!! (kind of mother are you?)
You sure do keep toddling children in a playpen
when you do not have the time to oversee their every move
up until about and at least 4.

If you don't, I don't care how many "loving and good natured or well intention spankings" you have administered you are a bad mother and just fortunate if the child lives to be any older than this.

Other than the occasional cuff to change direction, even animals do not teach by spanking their young or using pain and humiliation as tools at their disposal. It is laughable.

edit on 19-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I think you're just making arguments up for the sake of it, and notably you replied to yourself in your last post! I wonder what arguing with yourself is an indicator of?

Again, I thank you for your thoughts here.

I replied to myself by accident.

Do you want to hit me?

Seeing you are not at all tolerant of mistakes - I fear you will.

I could have edited it out because I caught it but, decided to leave it that way because clearly in this thread, set up to mollify and coddle the child beaters.... I am talking to myself.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I have only read your opening post.
I feel there is a tug of war between the mother and
the paternal parents.In my opinion,the mother will
have to answer for every bruise,cut or bump these
children ever get.The paternal parents seem to be
the type who will call the law on anything in order
to look good themselves.
My children were all spanked and sometimes not
enough.Just have to remember to spank them behind
closed doors,leave no marks and no witnesses.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bricmpt

Originally posted by SteveR
There's something wrong with the parenting if violence is required.

I know, right. I see all those other mammals on documentaries scolding their offspring with little nips and swats and I think "What is wrong with the mammals?" We are clearly doomed if we don't get our act together and stop dominating and correcting our offspring.

You have seen an animal use pain and humiliation as a means to control or teach their young?
The young cries?

I hate to be the first one to tell you - those are cartoons.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It is so ironic that so many of you believe that the anti social behaviour we see on the streets is because kids weren't smacked at home. WRONG! Its because these kids were/are smacked/beaten at home ... I would bet my own life that if you did a study on these kids out there that you all have a problem with, that the vast majority of them have experienced physical and emotional abuse at home.

Look ... all of you ... it's this simple.

Family violence breeds social violence ... violence in the home is what breeds violent children.

Few things are as so well supported by research literature and so well agreed upon by psychologists across the board.
tulane.edu...
www.nospank.net...

And the incredibly stupid thing is that we are told and shown this FACT again and again and have been for years and the only things we can say are "Don't you dare tell me how to raise my kids" "I was smacked when I was a kid and I am better for it"

Despite recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics against spanking, most parents in the United States approve of and have used corporal punishment as a form of child discipline. The study suggests that even minor forms of corporal punishment increase the risk for child aggressive behaviour.

I believe we say these ignorant idiotic things because we do not have the emotional maturity as a species, let alone individually, to accept that peaceful, compassionate patient parenting, by far the most effective parenting, is not something that comes naturally to most of us.

Basically, we all need lessons on how to raise our future, our kids, properly.

We would rather subject our children to pain and suffering than to admit we do not know how to parent effectively and get help ... we can be such a proud and foolish species.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by nuttin4U

Show me one scripture where it says the word "spanking" or "spank".

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

"Fear of the Lord" means to respect him, not be afraid of him.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by wiredamerican

Not sure of what you are saying. My kids were never spanked. I took the time to teach and guide my kids. They were the most well behaved kids in any store, anywhere.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by David291

First, you would have to believe that Almighty God would send anyone to a place of eternal torment. That is blasphemy. It is a Godless, insane concept.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I have never claimed to be an expert in child behaviour, just a regular mum...

If you have read my previous posts on this subject you will see what my views on hitting children are, yet you accuse me of being some sort of vile, violent psychopath who gets pleasure from giving children pain?

I'd rather shout at my child and give her a slap on the arm when she runs out into to the road aged 2 (even though she's been told countless times not to do it, but at 2yrs old she doesn't understand why) than to have to take her broken, possibly dead body to accident and emergency. And it's not a lack of parental responsibility on my part that she ran onto the road, we were leaving the house and I was locking the door at the time...unless you consider that keeping them on some sort of leash is preferable..and yes a lot of parents do use this method and I'm not condeming that, it can be a useful aid, but I always held her hand or kept her in her pram when we were out (she hated the pram though, so if she was being difficult about holding my hand I would just threaten her with being put back in the pram...she would always back down and hold my hand, I never needed to smack her!)

And as for keeping them in a crib or playpen til they're at least 4

And from your previous post

Other than the occasional cuff to change direction, even animals do not teach by spanking their young or using pain and humiliation as tools at their disposal. It is laughable.

that is all I have ever advocated, the occasional cuff to change direction, in the case of my daughter, 3 in her entire life when she was very young (she's now 17) so you're arguing with the wrong person

edit on 19-6-2011 by destination now because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Horza

Originally posted by Greensage
I am absolutely floored! We can kill adults but we cannot spank a child?

This has got to stop! It is high time punishment for wrong-doing becomes the norm! Personally I would pull that Judge's pants down and spank him myself! Publicly!

The reason why we kill adults is because we spank children.

edit on 18/6/11 by Horza because: (no reason given)

Is that really so?

what world do you live in?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

And as for keeping them in a crib or playpen til they're at least 4

Did I actually say this or did I say in a play pen when you cannot stand over and watch them every second? No kid under that age should be allowed to roam without a parent close at hand and with eyes on every minute. Sorry. This is how they drown.

I admit I haven't read your posts but you sound decent enough. I am sure your kids are great.
I don't need to get to know you to have my own position on this. You challenge my feelings on the matter saying I know nothing about raising children and this requires my response to defend myself. Otherwise I am replying to the thread mostly - to no one in particular. What I am a bit of an expert in is BEING HUMAN.

You may not take it too far. But we both know people who do and so I think it is better to err on the side of caution and not defend the act of slapping kids. Ever.
What people do in their own homes is their business and should remain so. If people want to slap their children in private it seems there is nothing "society" can do about it unless you are leaving marks on the child as I guess was true in this case.

I don't think this is anything to be complacent about and in every instance should be investigated. The DCF in Florida, the same group that has lost a few kids to horrific parental abuse still accept anyone's urine in the mandatory drug tests, they do not check the homes or to make sure the kids are going to school and recently cut back on their staffing. You can't take chances when you are dealing with the lives of children. The better parents will have no problem NOT APPEARING AS IF they beat their kids and so never having to prove they don't won't be a problem. (can I fit anymore negatives in a sentence?)

Seriously - Defending the right to use corporal punishment on children I think is a bad battle to take on no matter what your anecdotal evidence to the contrary is.

Many other freedoms are threatened right now (thinking of the TSA, and those cameras that give tickets at stop signs) freedoms of movement - battles that are actually worth fighting. Freedoms we need to stand up and fight to keep and maintain. This is not one of them.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join