It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

I fully agree with you. Children these days need a good spanking, I'm only 20 and if I did something wrong I fully expect me father to discipline me, not that I will do anything wrong because I've been taught over the years of what is right and wrong but there are so many children and even young adults that have no idea what is right from wrong. Most of it is common sense aswell :/ sad really.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
When I was a kid, we were punished for wrongdoing, at school, the teachers were always slapping people round the head, one teacher of religeous education would bash people on the head with a big thick hardbound bible, and the PE teachers were always slippering people for forgetting their PE kits. One teacher used to walk around the class with a chair leg in one hand, slapping it into his other hand, one teacher split a boys head badly open by slamming the desk lid on his head. The cane was used daily on as many as 20 people at a session, the headmaster would pick you up by the jacket and slam you against the wall. They were never challenged for their actions, the world today is back to front, I always despair when I see parents taking on the role of the child, and the children telling them what to do.

Don't get me wrong, the old system was bad, but the knee-jerk reaction, has led to an almost complete breakdown of society. About 30 years ago, I visited someone we knew in a mental institution and the classroom situation I witnessed there will stay with me forever, not long ago, I had cause to be shown round a normal school, and the classroom situation reminded me very much of that day, the only real difference was that the doors were not locked from the outside, and the " Children " were just walking out of class when they felt like it !

There seems to be no structure of acceptable behaviour nowadays, even the Police have turned into thugs, hiding behind their badges and uniforms, when people have no respect FOR others, but DEMAND respect FROM
others, then we are all in trouble !

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The trouble with discussions like this that there is never any middle ground.

If you say that spanking is one of your forms of discipline for younger children, then you are some kind of trailer-park caveman.

If you say that spanking is not optimal then you are a liberal.

I am definitely in the middle. The girl who is being bullied by her little brother can be disciplined with a sharp look or being told to stand in the corner---those punishments successfully coerce her into modifying her behavior.

The older kids don't need to get spanked at all; I cannot help but believe that's because they were spanked when younger.

Spanking is a tool, just one, for bringing up good kids. It's certainly not my favorite, and I sometimes ask the kids if they can think of another punishment that will work in it's place. One of my boys prefers being spanked to being grounded, and has asked if he could choose it instead. (of course not, you're too old for it.).

My sister doesn't spank her kids. I saw her lecturing her kid for the umpteenth time, and the child actually said, "can I have a time out?" Guess who is in control in that household.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by David291
reply to post by americanwoman

I fully agree with you. Children these days need a good spanking, I'm only 20 and if I did something wrong I fully expect me father to discipline me, not that I will do anything wrong because I've been taught over the years of what is right and wrong but there are so many children and even young adults that have no idea what is right from wrong. Most of it is common sense aswell :/ sad really.

You will teach comon sense by spanking , sorry to say that it not even comon sense either.
I think it all about respecting the other human being but teaching it in a not respectfull manner (spanking) is not a got way to start ... i guess.
Education has nothing to do with corporal punishement , you can find people that got slapped by their parent and some that dont they could be the same.
What is your kid is , it a reflect of what he will learn from your behavior and what he will experience himself in the life and the same for adult.
We are all mature in certain aspect and totaly unmature in other.
It really hard for a kid to break apart from their parent behavior/habit , it require a lot of empathy to understand that certain behaviors are unapropriate even those of your parent.
A kid can accentuate the default of their parent , i myself toke the habit of my parents for certain thing but the most important is to acknowledge that when you grow up and try to fix it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Star for you.

No two children are alike, no single sided solution will ever work.

They all need to be treated in a form that they best respond too.

My fingers are crossed that my boys don't act like I did when I was 13-18...only a couple more years until I find out

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberether

I didn't mean teach common sense by spanking, I meant it is common sense on what is right from wrong, it's like you really don't go punch someone in the face and think it's ok but people do it because its fun! way to go

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CRDDD

I doubt that, I bet you are just making up what you just said. Most kids that go without being disciplined turn out to be complete and total brats. Read below.

"Of course, we’re not suggesting that parents should somehow abuse their children or beat them to a pulp. But moderate spanking on their bottom with some infliction of discomfort, has been, and will always be a vital means of correcting children. It was a significant mistake to ever remove it from our public school system. The lack of discipline is one of the greatest problems in today’s school rooms, and has contributed to a general disregard of authority and chaos in our land. The statistics seem to show that the abundance of crime in our nation is largely a result of the lack of loving parental role models and effective discipline in the home." - Dr. Dale A. Robbins

Discipline

Get out of my face.. I don't care for your opinion, I only care about FACTS.

edit on 18-6-2011 by HolyandClean because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2011 by HolyandClean because: change

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft

The trouble with discussions like this that there is never any middle ground.

If you say that spanking is one of your forms of discipline for younger children, then you are some kind of trailer-park caveman.

If you say that spanking is not optimal then you are a liberal.

I am definitely in the middle. The girl who is being bullied by her little brother can be disciplined with a sharp look or being told to stand in the corner---those punishments successfully coerce her into modifying her behavior.

The older kids don't need to get spanked at all; I cannot help but believe that's because they were spanked when younger.

Spanking is a tool, just one, for bringing up good kids. It's certainly not my favorite, and I sometimes ask the kids if they can think of another punishment that will work in it's place. One of my boys prefers being spanked to being grounded, and has asked if he could choose it instead. (of course not, you're too old for it.).

My sister doesn't spank her kids. I saw her lecturing her kid for the umpteenth time, and the child actually said, "can I have a time out?" Guess who is in control in that household.

You ask kids what kind of punishment they would like? What kind of parent are you?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
There's something wrong with the parenting if violence is required.

Do you have the brady bunch at home? or ever dealt with a 2-4 year old that has a jealousy problem? are you even a parent? this judge is out of his mind,a 5year felony for but spanking, i could understand if she was punching the kid in the face! then kicking him when he was down , but for a last resort tool for any parent, spanking is a job most all parent's dislike it is a last resort tool lightly spanking a toddler out of control , and sir or mam, i have yet to see a kid the did not need a good crack on the arse. especialy these day's

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thinks you all should recognize what the heck is going on in our "world". The B.I.B.L.E. is clear regarding disciplining YOUR child. It actually is pretty harsh..when it comes to scriptural references. The B.I.B.L.E. says...in the book of Proverbs spanking IS required. The problem is people don't know how to properly discipline their children. Sometimes, you have to talk to them, but often...talking DOES NOT WORK.

You can tell a child, 2 million times...not to touch the stove because it's hot...but until they FIND OUT FOR THEMSELVES, the stove is hot, by burning themselves...they'll NEVER understand. They won't understand til they feel the pain of hot.

The same thing goes with parenting. Sometimes, it is NECESSARY to inflict pain to get the point across. I'm SURE that judge had his azz beat, quite a few times....and look at the position he holds now!

The only thing that this shows...is more control and less freedom. The system would rather destroy a family; they are hardly there to help build it up!!!

Scriptural references on disciplining your child:

Prov. Prov 23:13-14 13:24; 19:18; 22:15; 22:6; 29:15; 29:17

A few quotes from the founding fathers and presidents:

"Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
Benjamin Franklin

"I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth--that God Governs the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?"
Benjamin Franklin

"Now more than ever before, the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness and corruption. If it be intelligent, brave and pure, it is because the people demand these high qualities to represent them in the national legislature.... If the next centennial does not find us a great nation ... it will be because those who represent the enterprise, the culture, and the morality of the nation do not aid in controlling the political forces."
James Garfield, the twentieth president of the United States, 1877

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."
Patrick Henry

"We have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us, and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own. Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us."
Abraham Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation

"If we abide by the principles taught in the Bible, our country will go on prospering and to prosper; but if we and our posterity neglect its instruction and authority, no man can tell how sudden a catastrophe may overwhelm us and bury all our glory in profound obscurity."
Daniel Webster

Get the point?!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
To hit your children is to teach them that it is ok to use violence when one does not get their own way.

Also you are using fear to control them.

Who or shall i say what else uses fear to control?

That's right the system! And it is fear that is stopping the people of this world to make a stand against it.

Infact there is a mass amount of people trying to rid that fear in yourselves so we can bring a positive change to the world.

And i am deeply shocked to see that here there are many advocating using fear through violence on their own children, Shame on You!
edit on 18-6-2011 by Unrivaled1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-6-2011 by Unrivaled1 because: point clarification

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolyandClean

You ask kids what kind of punishment they would like? What kind of parent are you?

The kind that is ready to think outside the box and let them have some input on how we deal with each other. Honestly, the fact that they have never come up with one THEY thought would work tells me (and them) that dispassionate corporal punishment has its place.

What I am really doing is getting them to think about WHY I make the parenting choices I do. Not because I want to be mean or gruff or because I am Captain Bligh, but because spanking is the only thing that works for some situations, and both of us know it.

Actually the question will often bring out the facts surrounding the misbehavior; i.e., were trying to get a sibling in trouble, or they just wanted some attention, etc. In those cases, their behavior may be modified using some other strategy (addressing the bullying from the sibilng, having a "long talk" instead, etc.)

Fundamentally, I am trying to show them that I THINK about discipline, and am trying to do my best, and not merely bending their egos to mine. One way of humanizing the situation is getting them to admit that their behavior really was wrong and really does require some kind of discipline, and if they were the Dad, they would find it unacceptable when kids do dangerous things.

EDIT TO ADD:

Sometimes, mercy is the most effective punishment. The oldest said to me once, "I know I was wrong. And I'm sorry and I'll never ever do it again, whether you spank me or not." I made him a deal, that I would not punish him this time, if we never had to face the problem again. And we never have.

You have to use a punishment often enough to be a credible threat; but sometimes, in the right situation, when they already take you seriously, you can get the same mileage without any contact at all. The worst thing is endless threats without the actual punishment.
edit on 18-6-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unrivaled1

You are supposed to fear your parents, like you are supposed to fear God.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unrivaled1
To hit your children is to teach them that it is ok to use violence when one does not get their own way.

Also you are using fear to control them.

It is always sad; sometimes, fear and control is better than the prospect of them climbing into a car with a stranger, or huffing paint.

It is also sad that they live in a world where many people who don't love them are ready to use violence to control them. Which way is preparing them for living in "the real world"?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HolyandClean
reply to post by Unrivaled1

You are supposed to fear your parents, like you are supposed to fear God.

Fear of the Lord is (only) the BEGINNING of wisdom; not the end.

It is only the beginning, before love. perfect love casts out fear.

Deuteronomy 6:4 doesn't even mention fear of God. The commandment says something else Entirely. And the second one is just like it: Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

nope, nothing about fear.
edit on 18-6-2011 by dr_strangecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am a parent of 3 children, and I will say right now that the only time I have ever spanked my kids is when they did something that threatened either their life or someone elses life. Spankings are necessary in life-or-death situations. Instead of dying they get a little sting.

But spanking just because you are stressed is wrong.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HolyandClean

I disagree with both your points. But if you replace the word fear with LOVE then i shall agree.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Romans 13:9

King James Version (KJV)

9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Those 2 great commandments are the 10 commandments summed up! You cannot love a stranger physically.. that's stupid.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
There's something wrong with the parenting if violence is required.

True, and honestly, I recently have come to the conclusion that the Establishment is VERY MUCH against ordinary parents using loving, and non-harmful forms of discipline. Unfortunately, however, many have yet to catch on to the same truth that I learned.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HolyandClean

God can smite his children down and send them to hell but parents cannot punish their children, sheesh get with the time :/

/end sarcasm
edit on 18/6/11 by David291 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join