It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much ammmo is enough and how much is too much??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I always keep enough for a day at the range plus my reserve stock that is kept in a separate location. How much is that? I'll never tell

It was just mentioned that ammo may at some point have an added function and value as currency. I recently traded a friend one box of .380 Critical Defense (25rds) for two boxes (50rds each) of .40 Federal bulk. Works for me. Our currency is just scrip anyway...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I live outside St. Louis in a town called High Ridge.
My wife let the po po into the house and since there was a firearm out in the open
they assumed it was part of the arguement despite what my wife and I were telling them.
They said they were going to take it for our safety,lol.
I got it back rather quickly and easily but yeah, it sucks because I am sure they made a call to the Feds
and I am now on a list somewhere, as if I wasn't already.

I don't want to derail the therad with too many details, the point is, I want to know how much is enough and
how much is too many. I know at some point if you are caught with enough ammo, you'll be going away for a looooong time.

What is the magic number?
Anyone?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
It was just mentioned that ammo may at some point have an added function and value as currency.

Well, money is used to provide shelter and food and in great quantities power.

When money is worthless what can you turn to to provide shelter and food and power?

It makes sense more than gold or silver. At least in the immediate time frame.

There will be some interesting circumstances around the dilemma of actually using your ammo to acquire what you need versus trading your ammo to acquire what you need. A lot of mutually assured destruction and long-term considerations.

You could fire now and get what you want but will somebody come after you for it? Would making an honest exchange with this person be the beginning of a civil alliance or an example of your weakness?

Interesting times.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

there are local restrictions on ammo storage if you live in a commie state beware.

also beware that if your home ever starts to burn down the fire department wont touch it.

as always check local laws for firearms and ammo.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Honestly, you don’t need more than a case in any caliber. Sounds crazy, not if you think about it. Realistically If you think that in small arms combat you are going to be able to fire 1000’s of rounds, you are on drugs, because the other guy is firing back as well. It’s the law of probability that every small arms engagement you enter into, there is a real chance that you will be wounded or killed. In a SHTF scenario, a sever wound is as good as dead. How many fights do you think you will get into before buying the farm? Five, ten, maybe fifteen? And how many rounds do you think you will shoot each engagement? 100 maybe 150?

I know lots of people have visions of fighting off hordes of looters .. but that’s never going happen. If hordes of looters are headed your way, you are dead if you don’t stand tall with lots of other people or run. The key to survival will be to use a weapon only when you absolutely have to, and that shouldn’t be very often. The more often you do, the better chance you have of being killed.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t buy lots of ammo, you should. But nearly everything you buy, you should shoot and do more than go to the range. Practice as realistically as you can. At the end of the day, I’d rather have 100 rounds of ammo for weapon I am very knowledgeable in than 10,000 rounds for a weapons I really don’t know $hit about.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I carry 420 rounds on just my vest.

So does my wife.

That's 840 on us.

We have enough boxed ammo to reload our magazines 7 or 8 times.

holy cow man. whats that, 14 mags each? I only have 6 mags, im going to need to get some more mags!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Yep. 14 mags a piece. Plus our back packs carry 6 20 round mags a piece.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I can't even get my wife to shoot a .22 let alone a pellet rifle. She thinks that shooting is my job. With any luck I'll be able to convince her to take a quick trip up to Camp Perry in July just so she can see some skilled female shooters in action and having a whole lot of fun!!!

Good work!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I have a problem getting her to clean her damned rifle.

But that's about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

It was just mentioned that ammo may at some point have an added function and value as currency.

Well, money is used to provide shelter and food and in great quantities power.

When money is worthless what can you turn to to provide shelter and food and power?

It makes sense more than gold or silver. At least in the immediate time frame.

There will be some interesting circumstances around the dilemma of actually using your ammo to acquire what you need versus trading your ammo to acquire what you need. A lot of mutually assured destruction and long-term considerations.

You could fire now and get what you want but will somebody come after you for it? Would making an honest exchange with this person be the beginning of a civil alliance or an example of your weakness?

Interesting times.

OK That's enough to make my head spin. You present a tricky scenario. Alliances will certainly be needed if times get desperate enough. With any luck I will be able to keep my friends close and my enemies closer.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
it is currency when gold and silver are worthless. as much as you are comfortable with, and possible to transport when you gotta go. posting your stockpile is probably not a good idea. i didnt see you listing .22? are you going to shoot small game with a cannon? diversify for practicality!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hillbilly123069

goodpoint!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Do whatever you feel is right.

Personally, for my BOB, I have 50 rounds for each weapon I would take off with, ammo gets too darn heavy.

In the event that something happens but does not require me to relocate or if I am able to take a vehicle, I use military ammo cans. For each pistol, each military can is full, I would guess-ta-mate each can has an excess of 2000 each. For my rifles, same deal except I have various rounds of different grain bullets for different purposes and even a can full of plinking rounds for practice. For a grand total of 13 ammo cans, 10 of which are completely full. I load my own so I have various options on how I load out my ammunition supplies, relatively cheap as well.

As far as I know, there is no law stating how much ammo one may own.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

and my enemies closer.

Make sure they're not too close, buried bodies can still attract all sorts of vermin and contaminate a water supply.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

"Enough" is whatever you can safely store and/or carry.
"Too much" is when you have it lying around in the open, going stale, corroding, etc.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the police, but it sounds like they acted pretty professionally. They diffused the argument and removed the threats, and they returned them lawfully at a later date. There is no harm in asking some pertinent questions.

Personally, I have seen major nationwide headlines for people having 10,000 rounds, but I have close friends that wouldn't dream of having less than 30,000 rounds at all times.

I'm sure there are some city ordinances that could come into play if you had so much ammunition that there was an explosion hazard or community danger. There is also that pesky perception problem. Here in N.Florida/S.Georgia it is very common to have 1000 rounds or more, but an apartment in San Francisco is probably an entirely different story.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
For me, It is how many rocks I can carry.

I cannot own a fire arm

My most regretable mistake ever and it was non violent.

Thank you for the read because my mother can.

edit on 18-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Legally you can have something like 10,000 rounds for your gun...or like 10lbs of powder if you reload...I believe.
I wouldn't know because guns scare me...lol
My advice is 2 is 1 and 1 is none...with guns.
In 1 shooting school you would shoot atleast 1000 rds. on the weekend class...for rifle.
If you use a pistol at a school you typically use around 500 rds. at a shooting class.

Depending on how much you shoot, you want to have enough for a school, if you attend them.
In a combat environment you can go through 300-500 rds in no time at all...like 1 engaugement, so depending on what you are wanting to do, and how good of a shot you are, you are the only one that can answer that question.

FYI..EXAMPLE....If you have an AR don't have your AK ammo and clips with your AR stuff....reason being....if they take your AR stuff and see AK, they will then look for the AK..and vise versa...

The reason I say that, is so that if you have 10 AR's, and 2 AK's and they only find the AR's, then you have the proper equipment with them, also that way your not tipping them off about other guns that you might also have.

Thats what I think about it, for what its worth....but what do I know...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The whole idea is to avoid people. Stay in the shadows. Go the other direction when you hear gunfire. The idea is to live. Your chances go up dramatically every time you avoid armed conflict.

That said if you wind up trapped, having a few ammo cans piled up is a really good idea.

A tornado cant see or touch you when your in the underground tornado shelter. Step outside and it will get you. Wait the storm out and every things fine.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
reply to post by Screwed

Legally you can have something like 10,000 rounds for your gun...or like 10lbs of powder if you reload...I believe.
I wouldn't know because guns scare me...lol

Legally there is no federal law that limits the amount of ammunition you can own or store. Local fire regulations however may have limits on how much and how they are stored.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimpy327
You can never have enough. Get the waterproof tube containers and fill it with ammo. Bury in your backyard at night if you have too. If the worst happens it will be total survival and the more you have the better. If total disaster comes you will need every round you can get to ensure your familys safety and your survival by killing your own food,, you cant put a number on how much you will need.

Just curious, does this include human meat also?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join