It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much ammmo is enough and how much is too much??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
For those of you who are stocking up for the big one and have stocked up on ammunition,
I have a very simple question,

How much is enough?
When do you know you have enough and what do you plan in doing with all of that ammunition?

I ask because I have several firearms which I have ammunition for but I don't know what a reasonable amount is to stock up on.

Is a hundred rounds enough?
A thousand?
Two thousand?
10 thousand?
Where do you stop?
Do you ever stop?

When do you have enough to get you into serious trouble with the Feds?
I'd like to have a good supply of ammunition but I don't want to get into trouble and be out of the game before the game even begins.

I recently had the police in my home due to a neighbor calling them on me and my wife for a pretty heated arguement
we were having. they took me outside to talk to me and a few stayed behind to talk to my wife.
They confiscated my Glock 9mm which is always sitting out in the open within arms reach.
They asked my wife if I had any more weapons and boy ohhh boy that's where the fun began.

My wife, wanting to be honest with the police and not understanding that they are scumbag criminals who are Government paid and trained criminal gangsters, told them about my AK-47 and when they went downstairs to investigate they ran across my tactical vest as well as 1000 rounds of 7.62x39. and a couple hundred rounds of 9mm ammo.

He asked her why I had "all of this ammo"?
She said he likes to target shoot.
He asked why I had the Tac Vest.
He wanted to know what I intended to do with all of this stuff.

I just got my 9mm back and needless to say, It was enough to freak me out and make me a little more careful.
These people are out to put an end to people who have enough firepower to give them a run for their money whether or not we intended any harm. I want enough forepower to keep my home safe in the event of massive riots/civil unrest/looting/raping/pilaging/zombie apocolypse.

Long story short, I want to be careful not to get into trouble but also want to know how much is enough and how much is too much.

edit on 17-6-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

You asked a question I'd like to see an answer to, how much is enough?

I'm surprised they didn't send the swat team to investigate. Apparently your right to own firearms is kind of finicky these days.

link   
reply to post by Screwed

You need a stash room dude. Like in the movies, when they walk into the secret all white room with guns and ammo everywhere. That's exactly what you need. In fact that's really what we all need. Then you can have as much ammo and weapons as you want!

edit on 17-6-2011 by dadank because: (no reason given)

link   
You brain is the best ammo of all. Trapping is a handy art to know. Snares, pit, etc. Camoflauge, apothcary, distilling, canning. Pulling a trigger is easy.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Depends really, a lot on hardware and environmental factors. I'd look at the financial breakdown of your area to see the odds against you when the shtf. Is the ak or any other fully automatic? Those will tear through ammo supplies very quickly. How good a shot are you against a moving target at a reasonable distance? (be tough on yourself, rather have enough than run out). If you're using semi-autos, I'd stock a few thousand rounds at least, fully automatic, I wouldn't stop stocking up. It will always be better to have more, that way you can still practice and keep your abilities up without dipping into the necessity stash. Also, excess ammunition can be broken down and used for other purposes so a healthy surplus is always best.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You can never have enough. Get the waterproof tube containers and fill it with ammo. Bury in your backyard at night if you have too. If the worst happens it will be total survival and the more you have the better. If total disaster comes you will need every round you can get to ensure your familys safety and your survival by killing your own food,, you cant put a number on how much you will need.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I stopped at 2,300 rounds per caliber. um i dont know why, justed sounded good.

Now my father has 16,000 ish rounds of federal .223 hes still getting more

edit on 17-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
One bullet

For oneself.
edit on 17/6/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
i got a tack vest. when asked its for "Air soft" wars. Im looking into bulet proof tack vest. the one i want is $1,400. it can stop 6- .223 rounds or one 30-06 AP round!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
you can never have too much ammo !

buy what you can afford a few thousand to a few hundred thousand.

1. your not going to fight a war
2. a proper survival strategety and shoot only when you have to will make your stash last a long time
3, you never know when or if you will ever be able to ever get more in.
4. ammo can be used for barter cause everyone will be wanting it.
5. buy bulk
6. learn how to reload!

a gun without ammo is nothing but a club.

ammo!! it aint a right! its a necessity!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What do you need that much ammo for? You plan on staying in your house if the world goes to hell and fight off the hordes of desperate people trying to get to your supplies?

Good luck as they will just burn your house down instead of just giving up so i'd say only have enough that you can reasonably carry while running full speed with 100 people chasing you.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
First there is no law saying how much you can own or have as far as weapons ammo go, unless you live in CA where they are just anti gun.
The best you can do is not say what you have or the amount you have, and tell you better half, if they come a knocking they better have a warrant it "aint no ones biz but your own". if you can make buy 1mil rounds per gun then do it for in a fire fight 1000 is the norm, mind you that is fired by multiple weapons not just one, say an eight man team suppressing fire can use up even more ammo say 5000 -10000 rounds. The sad thing is you might not hit one darn thing, rocks and trees do not count.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Whatever number you come up with for "enough", multiply it by 50.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
How much is enough??? Enough for what. That is the question. Why are YOU buying guns and ammo? When YOU can answer that question, you can begin to decide what supplies(of all types) you need and how much of each type. Your question is too generic for any real attempt at an intelligent answer. As for the legal implications, I hope your wife has learned her lesson.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gimpy327

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to bury the stash deep fill the hole up a few feet then put some scrap metal down then soil and on top put more metal.

But keep your metal environmentally legal if it's on your land, some old tools and a few clean components a big heavy metal water container, the trash metal should be valueless so no one wants to steal it, I suppose it could be anything if it's at a remote bug out point.

I don't think your over armed or over stocked with ammo, I guess the cops didn't either in the end after the hassle but you can bet your life you are on so many lists in many different departments and data bases.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Simple answer is have at least one more bullet than your opposition.... An abundance of ammo is just like money in the bank. Bullets were used as a type of currency in this country,it may well happen again.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Just pick it up whenever you find a good deal.

I probably go through a thousand rounds a month with various events and competitions and recreation.

I buy at least that much each month when the price is right.

It's not like they go bad if you dont shoot them and if you arent comfortable with your supply chances are good you wont be out shooting like you should be.

Treat ammo like stocks. Figure a valuation and when it dips below buy and when it jumps up sell. Just dont sell it all.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when whatever could happen happens and I'm forced to leave it all behind.

Any idiot tries to ask me "why" I "need" this stuff I'll just point to my certs and awards and medals and ribbons and rockers and see if they can put two and two together.
edit on 17-6-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
IMO you can never have enough, however, I try buying weapons that shoot the same type of ammo.....say a pistol and rifle of same caliber....think about firing 20 rounds a day for 20 years

Also, where do you live that the po-po confiscated your glock ? The whole story sounds a bit fishy to me....why would they go into your house to investigate?? Did she lead them down there? Also now you are their radar which sucks,............
edit on 17-6-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I carry 420 rounds on just my vest.

So does my wife.

That's 840 on us.

We have enough boxed ammo to reload our magazines 7 or 8 times.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Just pick it up whenever you find a good deal.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when whatever could happen happens and I'm forced to leave it all behind.

edit on 17-6-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Yeah that would have to be a huge FUBAR scenario wouldnt it??!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join