It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much ammmo is enough and how much is too much??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mapkar
reply to post by Screwed

You asked a question I'd like to see an answer to, how much is enough?

One more cartridge than you need to stay alive,Seriously there is no way to answer that question.

Think about: How many firefights do you think you can survive to emerge as "victor!"
500 rounds is a nice comfortable minimum/weapon to me but I've had discussions with one guy who kept 5,000 as an absolute minimum.( I thought he wouldn't survive more than 1000 rounds in to his supply Anyway.(it's not like you won't be taking return fire).

.22lr could well be the universal daily tool for deep survival; it's versatile; useful; cheap and easy to transport. I could see stocking .22Lr alot deeper than my stores of 7.62x39 or .303 centerfire ammunition.

Originally posted by Mapkar

I'm surprised they didn't send the swat team to investigate. Apparently your right to own firearms is kind of finicky these days.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If you are bugging out, weight has to be a considertaion. If you are bugging out, you are going somewhere that is already a pre set destination and that should be the place in which you have your stash of ammo.

My BOB with 10 30rd clips checks in at 70 lbs. There is also enough provisions to get me to my point of destination (3 day walk)where I have the following:

2-870 tactical 12ga w/250rds of 4buck and 250rds of #6.
2-M4 carbines(556) with 28, 30rd clips and 3000rds of 69grn Black hills HP
2-HK USP's- one in 9mm and one in 45 ACP-each guns has 4 clips and 100 rds per caliber.
2-Rem 700(308) with 6X scopes and 200 rounds
1 Ruger 10/22- with 4X scope 5 10rd clips and 1500 rounds of Winn Power Points.

So, as you can see I have upwards to 5500 rounds worth of ammuntion, but I am only carrying 300 rds on me if the SHTF.

If you are bugging out, you are going to have to be mobile. So, this really turns into a situation of how much can you carry and still be mobile.

I would strongly urge you to find a place for a "stash" if you dont have a piece of property that you can hunker down on like some of do.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by armtx

Uh oh. the clip/mag/clip/mag/clip/mag police are coming lol.

There is an old saying.

The only time you can ever have too much ammo is while trying to swim or your on fire.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by armtx
If you are bugging out, weight has to be a considertaion. If you are bugging out, you are going somewhere that is already a pre set destination and that should be the place in which you have your stash of ammo.

My BOB with 10 30rd clips checks in at 70 lbs. There is also enough provisions to get me to my point of destination (3 day walk)where I have the following:

2-870 tactical 12ga w/250rds of 4buck and 250rds of #6.
2-M4 carbines(556) with 28, 30rd clips and 3000rds of 69grn Black hills HP
2-HK USP's- one in 9mm and one in 45 ACP-each guns has 4 clips and 100 rds per caliber.
2-Rem 700(308) with 6X scopes and 200 rounds
1 Ruger 10/22- with 4X scope 5 10rd clips and 1500 rounds of Winn Power Points.

So, as you can see I have upwards to 5500 rounds worth of ammuntion, but I am only carrying 300 rds on me if the SHTF.

If you are bugging out, you are going to have to be mobile. So, this really turns into a situation of how much can you carry and still be mobile.

I would strongly urge you to find a place for a "stash" if you dont have a piece of property that you can hunker down on like some of do.

If your bugging out..you should have it(ammo,supplies and gear) there already...other wise where are you bugging out too?
A bug out bag is to get you to your bug out location...if your going 20 miles, you will have like maybe 1 night in route to it..depending on whats happening...otherwise you might be driving to it with your semi full of stuff if you leave early enough.
If you say the woods or a state park..be ready for thousands of others thinking the same way...all the sheep will be headed right there with you...

If your in bear country you want a larger caliber, go by the area your going to be in or are in for the weapon you choose.
edit on 21-6-2011 by saltdog because: spelling

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I dont have any "in the military" training. So, I call them clips. the only people I have ever known to call them mags are military and LEO's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join