It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kohaku
I'm all for trying to learn the language of the country you live in, but just remember that not even 200 years ago, the southwest WAS Mexico.

And before that is was Native American land so the question still stands why do some Mexicans refuse to speak the language native to the land.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

To answer your question, Mexicans do not refuse to speak the native language which is Nahuatl. Almost anyone whoever spoke the language has been killed. So you tell me. Who would be the one to teach Mexicans their lost language?
It definitely won't be their conquerers.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

So was that "31" states?

Sorry, must have missed the first 5 posts you were forced to type because no one seemed to get your point.

Pity how the most important points are simply ignored here.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Being in an ENGLISH-SPEAKING country for that LONG and 'NO-SPEAK-ENGLISH well enough to do so at such a gathering??!!

WOW.

Its funny how its always those folks SOUTH of our border who are unable to speak the language of this country that they reside in now. Folks from ALL over the globe that come here LEARN and SPEAK the language except them.

Its as if the HUGE majority of folks born south of our borders were not blessed with any brains whatsoever.

Painfully stupid folks...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
in the land of the free, you are free to learn, speak and read any language you want.

there are people in america who actually study and speak klingon for crying out loud.

and for an american to actually call someone stupid for not learning english in 22 years is about as funny as it gets, since 95% percent of americans couldn't find america on a map, let alone a foreign country.

i bet there are more people that don't know their state capital, or the capital of america than there are people who speak spanish.

and what is it your business, this senator or anyone else what language someone else speaks.

on a side note, it'll be someone who doesn't speak spanish that will be at a disadvantage, because you can't go anywhere in california without a person of mexican descent attending you.

you can't be called the land of the free and force someone to speak the language you want.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
That's why you allow the "Asians", as your press calls them., get away with so much crime.

It's not just the press calling Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Sri Lankans ''Asians'', because anyone who has a brain in their head will also refer to these Asian people as... er... Asians.

I don't know what your country is like, but over here there is no racially biased criteria involved in lawmaking and criminal justice proceedings.

Please provide a valid link which supports your notion that Asians ''get away with so much crime'' in the UK.

Nah, didn't think so...

Originally posted by TDawgRex
And now they have Sharia law zones? So much for common sense.

Acknowledging Sharia law as an option to solve civil cases which involve Muslims, who wish to go through their own legal process, is common sense.

Christians, Jews, Sikhs and/or other can also go down this same avenue of mutually agreed civil court action.

I can't believe how uninformed so many of you yanks are !

edit on 17-6-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
After asking why he wasn't speaking English, he should have then immediately advised that he, "No peaky pani" (I don't speak Spanish) and then began singing this (skip to 1:58):

edit on 17-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scoriada
Everyone knows the UK is almost a muslim nation.

If ''everyone'' is synonymous with ''stupid, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals'', then I would have to agree with you.

Originally posted by Scoriada
No thanks, keep your sharia law and your islamist extremist. We're happy with our rednecks, Mexicans and Lefty loons.

LOL

Ignorance is bliss, as they say...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's time to accept this fact: America is no longer made up of "Leave It To Beaver" white, middle class, English speaking folks. If you view this as a bad thing, life is going to get much worse for you. In the travels for my last employer, I spent a great deal of time in the dead center of the country. There are PLENTY of small towns you could move to in that area and avoid all of this...for probably enough years to die happy.
I live in Southern Alabama, and I am SO happy to see that most folks down here HATE the new Immigration Law passed up in Montgomery. It's funny, my hometown (Mobile) has been under 6 flags. We have been under Spanish & French rule in the distant past. It is still a melting pot. In general (regardless of how most people think of Alabama), we don't find it necessary to get worked up over things like this. Hell, I applaud the guy for being involved in his local government.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I speak spanish and italian 100%, but this is The United States of America and I speak english here, unless I am required to speak in another language.

It's true, that guy wants to stay ignorant, shouldn't be here.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bunnydisaster

Yep - it's all fine and dandy...'til MS13, Surenos, Nortenos, and 18th Street make their way over there.

Then we'll hear back from ya when the dope gets there.

Enjoy your peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bunnydisaster
It's time to accept this fact: America is no longer made up of "Leave It To Beaver" white, middle class, English speaking folks. If you view this as a bad thing, life is going to get much worse for you. In the travels for my last employer, I spent a great deal of time in the dead center of the country. There are PLENTY of small towns you could move to in that area and avoid all of this...for probably enough years to die happy.
I live in Southern Alabama, and I am SO happy to see that most folks down here HATE the new Immigration Law passed up in Montgomery. It's funny, my hometown (Mobile) has been under 6 flags. We have been under Spanish & French rule in the distant past. It is still a melting pot. In general (regardless of how most people think of Alabama), we don't find it necessary to get worked up over things like this. Hell, I applaud the guy for being involved in his local government.

It isn't just the white folks who speak english. All cultures who have come here have had to learn english and have respected that. You think it would be fair for our new immigrants who are coming here legally to have to learn english AND spanish? Give me a break. No other culture has tried to change our language and force us to speak theirs. We never had to cater to one culture the way we do the spanish speaking population. It is arrogant and disrespectful. I would never move to another country and expect or demand them to speak my language!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Yeah you are right. Between all the English speakers down here, there is no dope, gangs, or violence. So I will lock up my doors tight, and wait for the horror the Spanish speakers unfold upon my city. I know the plant farm my wife & I visit is almost fully staffed by seasonal migrant workers, and it is TERRIFYING to be there! When they speak to us in broken English, helping us with anything we need, we each shed a tear for the country we once knew.

Ahem, may want to rethink your quote man.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by totalmetal

It is the official language in 31 States. Bills are coming up to have english as the official language of the USA. It was never an issue before, now we are made to fight for it. A shame really.

Do people actually read these threads? How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Did you notice that the person I was replying to said "America" and not the U.S.? America has no official language, since America consists of Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.... Also while at least 28 states have English as the official, there is none at the federal level.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Obviously you have not spent much time in Southern Louisiana. French, and variants thereof, is still being spoken there after well over 100 years. Some petty, frustrating moments between two people communicating is a SMALL trade-off for the benefits of culture.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

reply to post by capod2t

Yeah you are right. Between all the English speakers down here, there is no dope, gangs, or violence. So I will lock up my doors tight, and wait for the horror the Spanish speakers unfold upon my city. I know the plant farm my wife & I visit is almost fully staffed by seasonal migrant workers, and it is TERRIFYING to be there! When they speak to us in broken English, helping us with anything we need, we each shed a tear for the country we once knew.

Ahem, may want to rethink your quote man.

Hey dummy, how about you do a little traveling to South Central Los Angeles and see how much you still love the little brown ones. Make sure you take some kevlar with you too.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by totalmetal

Originally posted by Night Star
reply to post by totalmetal

It is the official language in 31 States. Bills are coming up to have english as the official language of the USA. It was never an issue before, now we are made to fight for it. A shame really.

Do people actually read these threads? How many times do I have to repeat myself?

Did you notice that the person I was replying to said "America" and not the U.S.? America has no official language, since America consists of Mexico, Canada, and the U.S.... Also while at least 28 states have English as the official, there is none at the federal level.

My apolgies. Most of us in the USA just say America when they are referring to the USA. We are trying to get english as the primary language on the federal level. Just that we have never had to fight for it before.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Obviously you have not spent much time in Southern Louisiana. French, and variants thereof, is still being spoken there after well over 100 years. Some petty, frustrating moments between two people communicating is a SMALL trade-off for the benefits of culture.

I have spent 8 years of my life being forced to listen to spanish and it made me feel like I left my Country. It drove me insane. Our asians, indians, africans etc all spoke english. The spanish speakers knew, understood and spoke english but usually spoke spanish. If you were around all these different cultures and they all knew english, why would you not want to include everyone? Why be seperate? Why demand that the people in your new home speak a foreign language?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

It's me, the dummy! It's funny you say that. I happen to be a graduate of Cal State in '97 and moved back to Alabama in '98. My time in California (first in Bakersfield, then in LA/Burbank) was very enlightening. I started out at LSU in Baton Rouge, LA, then transferred out there in 95. I found MOST Californians (not all), far more racist than Southerners. Not even really racist, but prejudicial (although your description of your Latino population as 'Little Brown Ones' makes me wonder).
So, yes, I worked in West, East, North, & South Los Angeles. I delivered AV equipment from Canoga Park to El Segundo. I was beaten & mugged once while working. BUT, guess what, scumbags come in every color & they even speak many different languages.
What really surprised me was the questions I was asked by many people I met while living out west. Things like 'did your grandparents own slaves?', or 'did you grow up on a plantation?'
Denying ignorance was a daily occurrence in your part of the country.

edit on 17-6-2011 by bunnydisaster because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by bunnydisaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I have never found that the Spanish speaking population makes any less of an attempt to communicate in English than any other non-English speakers.
And, when you say "We are trying to get english as the primary language on the federal level. Just that we have never had to fight for it before" who is 'WE'.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join