It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Jupiter?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have read theories and stories about possible life on Jupiter before, saying that it is possible for there to be creatures living in the gas clouds, floating around etc. Does anyone know if this is still a credible idea, or is it not possible at all?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This should be posted in the ufos section. No there is no credibility to there being life on Jupiter. Think about it...if there was life on Jupiter would the US government spill the beans. Thats more outrageous that sending missionaries to convert people to a different religion.

On the other hand if there was life on Jupiter, it would split humanity. Its too early for the truth to be put out into the open. People aren't ready for such things especially when the average american has indulged himself into contesting gay marriages.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Lol, no I don't mean intelligent life, I mean simple life forms, very similar to jelly fish. Here's a link to a soure:

www.faqs.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
on this moment I believe the change of finding life on Europe and Titan more credible.
Europe is thought to be covered by ice with oceans under it
and Titan is like Earth in its beginning periods .

but who knows ...
our way is allways based on that life has to be like ours
breathing oxigene ect. and carbon based
but that is not necaiserly true.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You've read garbage, the radiation of Jupiter is so intense that if you were to stand on the moon Io, you would be cooked in a few seconds. Yes...yes there is life on Jupiter.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
You've read garbage, the radiation of Jupiter is so intense that if you were to stand on the moon Io, you would be cooked in a few seconds. Yes...yes there is life on Jupiter.

Yes Freemason you or I would "fry" quickly but that does not preclude some form of life being in the athmosphere or for that matter on one of the moons of Jupiter.
For example, scientist have proven that creatures (such as the cockroach) can survive in a high rad (prolonged) environment.
As for life in the skies of Jupiter, there are again examples here on earth of creaures that "could" survive in such an environment. The Jupiter environment is closely mimiced in and around the deepsea hydrothermal vents Please see the following URL: www.daviddarling.info...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Yes kenshiro it does, all life has only a certain tollerance to radiation, the radiation swirling in Jupiter's magnetic field will pulverise DNA or any other organic compounds into oblivion. You can not have life if you can not sustain a chemical reaction otherwise you would consider a crystal a life form.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
on this moment I believe the change of finding life on Europe and Titan more credible.
Europe is thought to be covered by ice with oceans under it
and Titan is like Earth in its beginning periods .

but who knows ...
our way is allways based on that life has to be like ours
breathing oxigene ect. and carbon based
but that is not necaiserly true.

I'm with you Mark!
Life is much richer than what we can think. This is a Carbon based Universe, but there are zilions, of Lifeforms, that presently are occupying other places than Earth.

I have read theories and stories about possible life on Jupiter before, saying that it is possible for there to be creatures living in the gas clouds, floating around etc. Does anyone know if this is still a credible idea, or is it not possible at all?

My opinion is always based in what i know, and/or believe.

I know that there's Life on Jupiter, as on plenty of it's Satelites.

I believe that Life on Jupiter stays under that tremendous cloak of gases, and cyclonic eternal winds. You know why?
Because i know that Jupiter has also a Litosphere underneath, and that capsule of gases is actually there, not only to sustain Light to the surrounding satelites that sustain Life (a day in Titan, or Europa, takes 3 Earthly days), but also to prevent that asteroids (attracted by the tremendous gravity of Jupiter), could strike constantly, diminishing terribly a stable evolutionary process of Life, in that Planet.

Jupiter, as the remaining planets, has lots of "surprises" to Mankind, in the following Years.

[edit on 9/8/04 by HARAK]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Also, Jupiter is nothing like the hydrothermal vents. Europa's deep seas might be. Europa's ice would act as a buffer from radiation, the slush water beneath an even greater buffer, allowing any thermal vents to spawn possible life.

However, Jupiter's surface is all Hydrogen. Which by itself is an inert gas.

It makes for a beautifully clear blue sky though, if you were to be about 300 miles down into the upper cloud layers, you could see for 10,000 miles without a hindrance to your view. Also the clouds would tower above you for hundreds of miles.

Beneath the hydrogen layer is helium, and nitrogen which forms nitrates such as ammonia and what not. And the storms are meh...300-1000 miles an hour and caused by that radiation earlier spoken of.

Jupiter's internal heat.

After a few thousand miles the conditions just get beyond bareable, thick nearly solid formations of gasses and so forth which eventually, theoretically, creates vast seas of ammonia. And then create a solid surface of that and other elements such as helium and hydrogen.

There's really no elements such as carbon. And regardless of what people would like, carbon is a necessary compound for life.

Only it has the properties of being both a receiver and giver of electrons, without being too big. In fact, carbon is farely small.

All other elements sharing carbon's unique characteristics are simply too large to be stable compounds. This includes Silicon which is another potential. On Earth and Mars and even Venus, Silicon only seems to form silicates, not organically active compounds.

Because Uniformitarianism is more or less the special relativity of a "unifying field theory" if there was one, there is no reason to believe that Silicon will be the key to life on any other world since there does not seem to be any conditions underwhich silicon acts as a back-bone for self-replicating compounds.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Also, Titan is nothing like Earth in its beginning stages.

Titan is frozen Nitrogen and methanes.

Earth was a solid formation of silicates and metals and in its beginning stages was about 1,000 feet thick of molten rock.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
Yes kenshiro it does, all life has only a certain tollerance to radiation, the radiation swirling in Jupiter's magnetic field will pulverise DNA or any other organic compounds into oblivion. You can not have life if you can not sustain a chemical reaction otherwise you would consider a crystal a life form.

Soory correction not cockroaches but there is life that is reslient to radiartion. Please look at the following link: www.entsoc.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Resilliant yes, but only to certain levels of tolleration, which arguably Jupiter is far beyond. It is like life being on the surface of the Sun...???

Also, consider the fact that Jupiter's most habitable regions are only composed of Hydrogen and Helium. Deeper in the planet it is less habitable.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
FREEMASON, I have to tell you every time I read one of your replys my stomach does a few turns. Your replys suggest that you know everything about the universe and how life might evolve or might not evolve in other parts of the solar system and universe. It is almost as if you are some all knowing god.

The truth is FREEMASON, you are not. Their is no doubt you are well schooled and intelligent about what scientist think and know about the boundaries of what limits life can sustain, and about other various space topics. The problem is FREEMASON nobody really knows how life might be different and be able to sustain itself other places in the universe because we have not been able to do hands on studies except for the moon which was limited.

Sorry to burst your bubble but what you think you know you don't. One day you will have to crawl out of the box you are stuck in and judging by your post this could surely make your world spin. Well that is it for todays lesson class see you bright and early tommorow.

Swordfish out.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
bacteria and our primal ancestors single cell organisms are traveling
to the highly radiotion of space and deep space. and if they arrive
as they once did on earth and after the evolution of the organisms over time to changing surcomstances becoming like us it could be going on or did on even a moon around a jupiter like planet. and then the single cell life form will evolve it self over time creating and evolving by the surcomstances present at the time line as time passes over it self.
thus for creating a lifeform by evolution adepted for the forces of nature
and the physics of the lifeforms place of evolution over the time it evolved there. so it will be adepted to harse radiation and great gravitational forces as they are in the neighbourhood of a Jupitor sized planet.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i think that the gravitational pull would be too extreme for an upright organism. i think that it would have to be a long organism such as a snake or millipede.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
First off, there may be life there, but we just dont know. I think a lot of people cannot see how non-carbon based life can survive and therefore limit their perspective on life to "requires water", etc. This is very dangerous thinking in science. Science is about expanding our knowledge, not limiting it because we dont understand it, which is where science has been headed for awhile.

Just because WE cannot survive the radiation, heat, extreme gravity, etc. does not mean that other "life" cannot. Science has yet to explain exactly what "life" is...and I challenge anyone to tell me what makes something "living". Life is made of the same sub-atomic particles that all matter is...the only difference is that in Earth life has certain arrangements of these particles, but essentially they are the same particles that make up everything (protons, neutrons, electrons, etc.). So if everything in the universe is made up of the same "soup" of particles would not a natural conclusion be that rocks, dirt, magma, and even the stars themselves are essentially "living".

Just because you cant see it, touch it, or smell it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dribbler
i think that the gravitational pull would be too extreme for an upright organism. i think that it would have to be a long organism such as a snake or millipede.

I think you don't get it but I like to say keep open minded..

an insect is small and a t-rex was big
which one has more problems with the gravitional pull of earth...

well as a single cell lifeform is small the effects of the high gravitational pull
has less effect on this life form thus for when one of those single cell lifeforms evolves in to a next stage and to a next stage it will evolve with the influence of the gravitational pull included. so if it is the pull is great the lifeform will evolve in a robuster lifeform adepted to this. and as it keeps evolving it keeps adepting because that is the main reason for evollution, addepting to surcomstances. it like if you are getting send to Iraq or afganistan and you come from alaska. you are not used for those kinds of
weather, but with time you will get used to it and your body adepted to the weather over there. well same there only it takes a little more time.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by swordfish
FREEMASON, I have to tell you every time I read one of your replys my stomach does a few turns. Your replys suggest that you know everything about the universe and how life might evolve or might not evolve in other parts of the solar system and universe. It is almost as if you are some all knowing god.

Facts are facts and you do not need to be God to know them, just God to know them all.

Originally posted by swordfishThe truth is FREEMASON, you are not. Their is no doubt you are well schooled and intelligent about what scientist think and know about the boundaries of what limits life can sustain, and about other various space topics. The problem is FREEMASON nobody really knows how life might be different and be able to sustain itself other places in the universe because we have not been able to do hands on studies except for the moon which was limited.

This is what is wrong, however, as we do know what life is. Life is (among some other things as I'll probably miss the subtleties) a celled organism that self replicates, grows, reproduces or such, and must therefore consume food to survive whatever that food is. Fire, is not a life form for it is not comprised of cells. Viruses are not life forms because they technically do not self-replicate. DNA is not a life form because it is not a cell...and so forth.

You can not sit there and change definitions to find what you are looking for. Intelligent life (which is all that is worth finding), will not be anything but a celled organism. Sure there might be "energy beings" but we'll never meet them because energy in our physical universe just does not have the properties to form sentient beings by itself.

So we have a choice, stick to the definition of life or change it.

We could change the definition to "anything that grows when there is an abundance of resources". Great so that means a rock of quartz was "alive" once too...or salt crystalizing as water evaporates, that would be alive.

The fact is we can make everything something else by changing the definitions as the definitions we use are man-given not "absolute".

We can make four rocks into five rocks by changing the definition of five to anything consisting of the the amount of . . . and .

We can make the sun a moon by changing its name.

We can make the stars feces by the same process.

And we can make some funky chemical reactions on strange worlds life by changing the definition.

The only question worth considering is what are the limitations of sentient life? I believe that few would contend that carbon based life forms are the only possibility due to constraints of other elements.

Why is that all that is important? After all bacteria are not sentient but they can kill us.

Well so can the sun blowing up or a rock falling on your head or a mass wasting effect or any number of events.

Just because we find something on an Alien world that multiplies in abundance of what it consists of, and happens to kill us like a disease (larger grained asbestos for instance), does not make it a life form.

If we find a being that can cultivate the land or mine resources, that is not consisting of Carbon, I'll stand corrected.

However the only instance of such a life form I think we would find, is a Machine programmed to carry out the functions of life.

Originally posted by swordfishSorry to burst your bubble but what you think you know you don't. One day you will have to crawl out of the box you are stuck in and judging by your post this could surely make your world spin. Well that is it for todays lesson class see you bright and early tommorow.

Swordfish out.

Sorry but I think the "Body" of my post shows well that I have a firm grasp of what I'm talking about. And believe me I do not need to "crawl out of my box".

If anything, I started out as naive as all these other nuts who believe masons are baby eating reptilians, who believe that UFOs are visiting the earth, and that Mars once was home to a great alien civilization.

Then several things happend.

1) I grew older.
2) I generally learned more.
3) I formally learned more.

Those in combinations just pretty much ended the arguments that take place here...and thus why I can seem as if I am pretending to be "God". Really, I just am sick of hearing baseless arguments of the same things over and over again.

Life on Jupiter?

No.

Life on Europa? Possibly.

[edit on 9-8-2004 by FreeMason]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Why people continue to be offended, each time someone disagree their points of view??

If we continue like this, this Forum will become an Arena, not... a Forum!

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is a hypothesis and could be true but it is very unlikely that we will ever know for sure.

There could be life floating around in the atomosphere of Jupiter, anything is possible. However, this life would have to be very different than the life found on earth and very well may not even be DNA based. It is completely possible that we could have a true life form from Jupiter right in front of our face and never know it because we wouldn't know what to look for.

However, we will probably never know because the gravity of jupiter is so great that any ship going in to look for life more than likely will never return.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join