It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A message from Elenin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+61 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Before leaving on vacation last week, Leonid Elenin left a rather philosophical meditation on the Spaceobs blog. I thought I would share a part of it here:

During the last six months the comet has aroused a lot of interest among the people of the Earth; among the huge number of letters about the end of the world, I also received those about people who became interested in astronomy and observing, who bought telescopes and discovered for themselves the beauty of the night sky. This is possibly the most important effect caused by my comet. Of course the comet poses no threat to the Earth and all the rumors will end when it starts moving away from the Earth and Sun. The same thing happened with the famous comet Hale-Bopp and will be repeated more than once in the future.

spaceobs.org...

I, too, hope that the interest generated in this comet backfires against those who have promulgated malicious rumors and attempted to generate fear. Those who genuinely seek the truth may now be inspired to go out and learn about the night-time sky. Even a simple pair of binoculars can reveal the moons of Jupiter, turn the Pleiades into a glimmering jewel box and uncover the pock marked surface of the Moon. Even a modest telescope can bring the beauty of Saturn's rings into focus, and allow you to feel that you can almost reach out and touch the lunar surface... with some color filters, you can even search for Transient Lunar Phenomena from your own backyard. Anyone can look up at the sky and verify things with their own eyes. No government on Earth can control what you see in the heavens. You cannot hide in Space. If you live anywhere on Earth but North America, you have an ideal opportunity to witness a lunar eclipse tonight, and can verify for yourself that the Sun Moon and heavens continue to keep their rounds.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Good post my friend... S&F

i completely agree with what you say about looking up at the sky.. and its nice to hear elenin's thoughts on "his" comet, i think that is the first time i have heard his opinion on it..
edit on 15/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thank you for posting this. I get so sick of reading threads about doom and gloom. I think that people are searching for something, anything, to fulfill their lives and have found that something in speculating about the earth's and human's demise. It's really sad that so many people jump on the bandwagon without having any knowledge of truth!

I gave you a star and felt obliged to at least offer some sort of input..

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Wow, I forgot about the eclipse, but I think there are two more this month as well. I was gonna try to set up a Foucault type pendulum as an experiment to witness the anomalies caused by an eclipse. Truly, this year many people have started looking to the skies for the first time, and I think it's great too...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Very nice post. As for the message from Elenin I think it's very refreshing to hear this from him. I believe there is geological change coming but the 2012 bandwagon jumps at every astronomical or geological anomaly.

I love looking into the stars. I will have to try with binoculars.

S+F

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Went on "vacation" you say?

Likely story!

He's gone to his doomsday bunker to ride out the deadly impact of Elenin.

I read he wasn't going to be let in the bunker because it's reserved for the elite and big movie stars (and John C. Reilly) but once they realised the irony of being killed by a comet named after him, they just had to let him in.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

This is possibly the most important effect caused by my comet.

His and his alone...
@ least we know who
to point the finger @
when the whole
Out House goes up
in flames ....

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Just such a strange coincidence with his name, lol! What are the odds of having a name like that and discovering a comet! Cool.

Well Dear Leonids Extinction Level Event, 11 9, Nin! You got em all goin'!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

That's a comet right? Should begin to show a tail about June 30 as it passes Mars' orbit on the way in.

Let's see if it has a tail. Even non pro astronomers will notice one way or another. If my bookie would take the action I would put 25.00 dollars on no tail, even money. He would not book this bet.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I'm half asleep, the way you were talking I thought the comet sent us a message. It's like damn! Niburu's calling me now !? We've got issues.
But it's nice to hear what the dude has to say about his comet.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

That's a comet right? Should begin to show a tail about June 30 as it passes Mars' orbit on the way in.

Cometary tails can vary in size and brightness, nor do they keep to a timetable. The best chance to observe the forming tail would be in late July or early August, when we will be viewing the comet at nearly a right angle to its orientation towards the Sun. It will be visible (by telescope) ten or fifteen degrees above the horizon at sunset; hardly good viewing. Both the tail (and the viewing conditions) will be better after it reaches its perihelion. Mid-October looks likely to be the best time to view it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Cometary tails can vary in size and brightness, nor do they keep to a timetable. The best chance to observe the forming tail would be in late July or early August, when we will be viewing the comet at nearly a right angle to its orientation towards the Sun. It will be visible (by telescope) ten or fifteen degrees above the horizon at sunset; hardly good viewing. Both the tail (and the viewing conditions) will be better after it reaches its perihelion. Mid-October looks likely to be the best time to view it.

I'm calling Bernard Snitzel on this one. Make that a double Bernard Snitzel.

No tail, no comet! Show me the tail after June 30!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

His and his alone...
@ least we know who
to point the finger @
when the whole
Out House goes up
in flames ....

This is precisely the sort of thing I was talking about. He's just this guy. He discovered a comet, naturally he's proud. Have you ever discovered anything you're proud of? Would you appreciate it if some total stranger accused you of being greedy out of envy? And why blame some astronomer half-way around the world if you feel your world is going up in flames? Don't you think you should take some personal responsibility for the situation you find yourself in?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Erm, mid-October is after June 30.
edit on 15-6-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Absolute, complete and total rubbish!!!!

If you live anywhere on Earth but North America, you have an ideal opportunity to witness a lunar eclipse tonight, and can verify for yourself that the Sun Moon and heavens continue to keep their rounds.

I just learned that there will be complete cloud cover where I am and the chance of watching the eclipse is zero!!

Peace

PS: I agree with the rest of your post though....

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by DJW001

I'm half asleep, the way you were talking I thought the comet sent us a message. It's like damn! Niburu's calling me now !? We've got issues.
But it's nice to hear what the dude has to say about his comet.

That was my first thought too, considering the amount of postings previously that stated Elenin was under someone's control. When coming at threads from the firehose page, you cannot tell who's posting the thread. Once I opened it, and saw that it was posted by DJW......, I knew it was a message from the comet discoverer, not the comet itself

I'll bet that Elenin himself will be thankful when this comet has passed, since he's had his name connected with doom since his discovery.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

Erm, mid-October is after June 30.
edit on 15-6-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

A little closer to June 30 I would suppose. You are suggesting it is wise to wait until after the Sept. alignment date just "to be sure"? We'll know for sure long before, NASA or no NASA.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

We'll know for sure long before, NASA or no NASA.

Yes!!! Exactly my point!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I'm going out with the camera to see how I go.

Not too much cloud cover here.

Not rubbing it in or anything

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow, now if Elenin would be President we could get some other Straight answers! LOL

I am not falling for it, some "kid" with an interest in Astronomy suddenly is the Master of his field enough to tell us what is and what isn't? Sounds like the next President to me!

This thread is more a marshmallow covered in chocolate! Yum! Then it is gone!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join