It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lewis Page: Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Lewis Page: Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade

New Scientist
sc25.com

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age.

As NASA notes:

Early records of sunspots indicate that the Sun went through a period of inactivity in the late 17th century. Very few sunspots were seen on the Sun from about 1645 to 1715. Although the observations were not as extensive as in later years, the Sun was in fact well obs
(visit the link for the full news article)

The announcement made on 14 June (18:00 UK time) comes from scientists at the US National Solar Observatory (NSO) and US Air Force Research Laboratory. Three different analyses of the Sun's recent behaviour all indicate that a period of unusually low solar activity may be about to begin.

edit on 14/6/11 by Quantum_Squirrel because: added who made announcement

edit on 14/6/11 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
i know another thread exists stating news is due today , but if this is the news i think it deserves its own thread.

Science story of the century.....

Mini- ice age within a decade?

At least all the man-made global warming champions will be put in place,

Our position in the universe is not privelaged and things will happen around us we have no control over whatsoever..

what are the implications for a 'mini'- ice age.. mini could be a real long time in the epoch measuring methods used to chart past ice ages.

within ten years ..why?

If this is the news and there is notes from NASA ... how can we prepare and more importantly, should we? how can we as a species prepare for something like this when the sun is life itself.

has this happened before? and we have survived living in caves huddling together.. all advancements lost except what crude drawings are scratched into cave walls..

If this is the news.. and its true .. this is bad ..

sc25.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 14/6/11 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
damn it, i hate the cold.

guess i'd better find a way to build an underground home.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Well. I think we can all deal with a little bit more snow. Get a truck. Get big winter tires. Make sure the heat works. And im sure we'll be fine. I don't think it would impact us all that much, just no more sunbathing!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The "offficial" report says that the sun is entering a minimum activity phase that could last for next 11 years . How , pray tell , will this bring about a mini ice age within decades ?

Blatant scare mongering really pisses me off .

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

At least all the man-made global warming champions will be put in place,

Our position in the universe is not privelaged and things will happen around us we have no control over whatsoever..

True

Black Dynamite: "Freeze, turkeys!"

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
We happen to already be in an ice-age.

Perhaps he means instead of coming out of it were going to be dipping back down but yes it is a fact that the earth is currently in an ice-age.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Oh no!

Does this mean that Al Gore and all his minions that want to blame global warming, er,
climate change on human activity so that they can use that as another way to tax us while they grow rich themselves could be wrong?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I was hoping for a bit of global warming... as I saw it some perks included me wearing shorts while not on holiday (vacation) in some distant hot lands and planting some nice tropical plants in my garden.

But going on gut feeling and how the weather has changed in my lifetime I would say the winters are getting a lot colder.. perhaps we are due another cold snap like the 1700s.. I hope not.. but suspect my hopes will not be met.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I agree . We are in a constant ice age that goes through peaks and troughs . I don't know where in that cycle we are present , but I doubt we will encounter a dramatic shift anytime soon

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
There is evidence that the cooling trend of which the "little ice age" was a part began at least 300 years before the Maunder Minimum. This, and the fact that some regions never seem to have experienced it is one of the things which makes a connection of sunspots to the LIA problematic.

www.meteo.psu.edu...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
alright enough is enough

make up your damn minds

is it gonna be hot or cold?

you cant have it both ways no matter how much you try.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
The "offficial" report says that the sun is entering a minimum activity phase that could last for next 11 years . How , pray tell , will this bring about a mini ice age within decades ?

so

these institutionas below are scare mongering? the title of this thread is the title of the article these are the rules for beaking alt news forum.

The announcement made on 14 June (18:00 UK time) comes from scientists at the US National Solar Observatory (NSO) and US Air Force Research Laboratory. Three different analyses of the Sun's recent behaviour all indicate that a period of unusually low solar activity may be about to begin.

the NSO an US Air force lab are scaremongering? if they didn't tell us and you found out the information you would acuse them of hiding something..

the last little ice age i can find ( wiki ) yes i know user edited content and not the source of all knowledge...

Little Ice Age

Dating There is no agreed beginning year to the Little Ice Age, although there is a frequently referenced series of events preceding the known climatic minima. Starting in the 13th century, pack ice began advancing southwards in the North Atlantic, as did glaciers in Greenland. The three years of torrential rains beginning in 1315 ushered in an era of unpredictable weather in Northern Europe which did not lift until the 19th century. There is anecdotal evidence of expanding glaciers almost worldwide. In contrast, a climate reconstruction based on glacial length[7][8] shows no great variation from 1600 to 1850, though it shows strong retreat thereafter.

seems like the last 'little' ice age lasted 400 years.. retreated strongly thereafer..... what if it starts strongly also ? like a short period of extreme warming say?

also from the wiki article

Causes Scientists have tentatively identified these possible causes of the Little Ice Age:

orbital cycles,

decreased solar activity, increased volcanic activity, altered ocean current flows, the inherent variability of global climate, and reforestation following decreases in the human population. [edit] Orbital cycles Main article: Milankovich cycles Orbital forcing due to cycles in the Earth's orbit around the Sun has, for the past 2,000 years, caused a long term cooling trend which continued through the Medieval period and the Little Ice Age. The rate of Arctic cooling is roughly 0.02 degrees Celsius per century. This trend would be expected to continue for a further 4,000 years and lead to a full ice age, but the 20th century instrumental temperature record shows a sudden rise in global temperatures attributed to greenhouse gas emissions.[58] [edit]

Solar activity

Main article: Solar variation Solar activity events recorded in radiocarbon. There is a still very poor understanding of the correlation between low sunspot activity and cooling temperatures.[59][60] During the period 1645–1715, in the middle of the Little Ice Age, there was a period of low solar activity known as the Maunder Minimum. The Spörer Minimum has also been identified with a significant cooling period between 1460 and 1550.[61] Other indicators of low solar activity during this period are levels of the isotopes carbon-14 and beryllium-10.[62] [edit]

Volcanic activity

Throughout the Little Ice Age, the world experienced heightened volcanic activity.[63] When a volcano erupts, its ash reaches high into the atmosphere and can spread to cover the whole Earth. This ash cloud blocks out some of the incoming solar radiation, leading to worldwide cooling that can last up to two years after an eruption. Also emitted by eruptions is sulfur in the form of SO2 gas. When this gas reaches the stratosphere, it turns into sulfuric acid particles, which reflect the sun's rays, further reducing the amount of radiation reaching Earth's surface. The 1815 eruption of Tambora in Indonesia blanketed the atmosphere with ash; the following year, 1816, came to be known as the Year Without a Summer, when frost and snow were reported in June and July in both New England and Northern Europe. Other volcanoes that erupted during the era and may have contributed to the cooling include Billy Mitchell (ca. 1580 ± 20 ), Mount Parker (1641), Long Island (Papua New Guinea) (ca. 1660), and Huaynaputina (1600).[16]

so

Orbital cycles..

hmmmm many people talk about alignments and orbital cycles in many cultures in many points in history ...
CHECK

Solar cycle
At an extreme low at the moment , how do we know little century long cycles acompany the bigg thousand year cycles.

CHECK

Heightened volcanic activity

CHECK

Hmmm just my opinion but many things are aligning for me.

Seed vaults in Norway
All books preserved from museum in a salt mine in the UK
countless warning stories form all different types of cultures in many locations on earth ( global occurence of incidents)

Economic sytems crashing world wide with money syphoned off ( what are they building with this cash? preperation? )

stricter systems in place to control populations better.

Energy resources dwindling .. an extended cold period could realy put pressure on everyones supplies..

Rich people giving all their money away...

just too many things lol

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what they say, even though the findings are based on cyclical events, because the cycle is far from being a true gauge since we haven't enough "insight" on the other factors.

Is there a Magnetic Pole shift occurring? Can this be a prelude to a physical shift?

The Interstellar Fluff was not here previously, and we know from Voyager that it is bearing down on our Heliosphere enough to misshape it; it is not "held back" and will continue to move through this system. It is comprised of Highly Magnetized Helium and Hydrogen; how should our Sun react?

What about that other cycle? You know, the big Nibiru question? Red Dwarf anyone?

What of the factors if there should be a Mega-Volcanic expression?

New Madrid anyone?

So, with all the factors in play, it would not surprise me in the least to see a "Miracle"!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reply to post by kro32

I agree . We are in a constant ice age that goes through peaks and troughs . I don't know where in that cycle we are present , but I doubt we will encounter a dramatic shift anytime soon

Well we have been warming up and supposedly coming out of it but the earth can do whatever it likes. It is important to note that compared to past warming trends in the ice age cycle our current heating is astonomically high compared to those throughout history.

Therefore I don't see it cooling down again until the next ice age cycle begins. This one should be over with in a couple hundred years or even sooner.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Amen, all I need is a decent coat like doctor 10 had. Something to block out the cold. This seems fear monger-ish to me too. I sit at GLP nothing different then what I hear over there. Even if it was gonna happen, why haven't they killed him ?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Who is he anyway ?
Sounds like another Michio Kaku, another loon that doesn't know what he's talking about
edit on 14-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Who is he anyway ?
Sounds like another Michio Kaku, another loon that doesn't know what he's talking about

yes, I am sure you know more about what is going on in the universe than a theoretical physicist.. Hilarious..

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Who is he anyway ?

yes, I am sure you know more about what is going on in the universe than a theoretical physicist.. Hilarious..

Michio Kaku is just a tool for the NWO to spread fear, even if it was going to happen. Don't you think we wouldn't know about it ? They don't tell us s**t!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Michio Kaku is just a tool for the NWO to spread fear...

Kaku was trying to spread fear? I don't recall him saying anything particularly scary. Of course, I am not claiming to have heard everything he said, or that I remember everything I heard...what did you think was the fear-spreading stuff? Links please?
edit on 6/14/2011 by Tsurugi because: General editing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join