It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook loses 6 million US users, continues to conquer globe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

my yahoo portfolio is worth 1.4 billon.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
He said that it is possible that as people graduate from college they may close their account because they don't want potential employers to see pictures of them drinking and partying...

one major reason why i never used it, i am a party animal and my friends arent fitting the social scale my profession needs so i cannot display my spare time to the public and for a graduated sociologist/psychologist its not working with my Weltanschauung

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm on Facebook and will continue to be on Facebook until the next major site pops up and they go under and everyone complains about the new site.

Social networking sites are convenience of the modern age to keep track of friends and family and be able to aquire contact info quickly. Where people's phone numbers, emails, and physical addresses seem to change about as often as one buys new underwear it makes sense to have a good central place to keep track of friends and extended family.

Now for the evil information sharing part... Manage your account! Keep privacy settings wherever you're comfortable and above all keep compromising photographs and ideas off the site! It isn't really that hard. If you're not on there one of your friends can still post a picture of you and connect your name to it. It is a little easier to control what is posted about you if you're on there.

None of the other information on there is anything that isn't already available by any public records search. It isn't like you're giving out your SSN and favorite sexual position as a condition of joining.

If you're still unhappy just give inaccurate demographic information and mess them up so you have to look at ads for denture cream instead of what you actually want to look at.

As far as the claims about mind control... Sorry television is WAY worse as is the radio and any other news source. Your options to avoid an advertiser trying to manipulate you include moving to the middle of nowhere and living off the land or... well I guess that's your only option.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
Good. All this facebook nonsense is getting out of hand. I made an account 2-3 months ago strictly to keep in contact with family (some only communicate through the net). I also carefully set my privacy setting. Frankly I wouldn't shed a tear if facebook lost all it's followers.
I wouldn't either but facebook is doing just fine.

Be careful about the privacy settings though...you can't just "set it and forget it" like the infomercial

Every time Facebook does some kind of site upgrade, they reset all the privacy settings. This is something they've been criticized for an it's one reason I won't use the site.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
... and 1.52 Canadian users

Fair enough, I can understand a Canadian user quitting, but who's the 0.52???

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Every time Facebook does some kind of site upgrade, they reset all the privacy settings.

for realz?! O_O one good argument more, ty i thought they did it one or two times by "accident" but as a sceme to get control...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

lulz, hes a midget or he has double citizenship^^

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
So, 1.52 Canadien users quit face book? I knew Canada was weird but I didn't know they had fractions of a person living there.

J/k, having some fun with typos.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
At one time I had 6 FB accounts, 5 just for gaming and such and one "real one". I constantly shift my ip and log on from various different areas. As a result I started getting FB messages saying we don't recognize your device or the location from which you are logging on.... please answer these security questions. At that point I dropped FB like a bad habit; never to return.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

A Quebecois - just the French speaking part of him/her tho......

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Every time Facebook does some kind of site upgrade, they reset all the privacy settings.
for realz?! O_O one good argument more, ty i thought they did it one or two times by "accident" but as a sceme to get control...
They just had another "accident" earlier this month...I don't think it's an accident:
Facebook changes privacy settings for millions of users –

When Facebook revealed last year it was introducing facial recognition technology to help users tag their friends in photographs, they gave the functionality to North American users only.

Most of the rest of us found the option in our privacy settings was “not yet available”, which meant we could neither enable or disable it. We simply had to wait until Facebook decided to roll it out to our account.

Well, now might be a good time to check your Facebook privacy settings as many Facebook users are reporting that the site has enabled the option in the last few days without giving users any notice.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hi to all and any that use facebook....how secure is your account....what about privacy.....can you block just anyone from seeing it?

What do you like about facebook...what do you hate?

I think the fact that so many people have left facebook may speak volumes.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If you don't put things online that don't belong online then you don't have to worry about the security or privacy of facebook. I don't care of my account is monitored or even compromised, I won't lose a thing, but I still use it to keep in contact with people out of state & organize events.

If facebook has 500 million users & the world has 6 billion people, there are other things going on right now besides facebook.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I quit FB about a year ago after I read that they have a right for all your info, pictures and videos you post there. Recently, just a couple of days ago I opened a new account there for 2 main reasons: I have too much information I want to share with people, second nice to be in touch with friends and relatives. I do not post photos and videos anymore. Changed my settings so hardly any information on me and hardly anyone can see anything. Besides, once you had an account there your information is kept. I am sure they never delete anything. I am just surprised how some people post every single bit of information about themselves on FB, what they eat, whom they kiss, etc. Kind of silly. Same with youtube. But again we are using it. All Internet is owned by the same people...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I quit Face Book! After being singled out by a person I went to elem.+Jr.high with...2 HackedPCs,over 1200-dollars! I wish more people *knew just how easily one's enire PC can be taken over through Facebook-hackers! This person, made themselves, "Owner-Administrator", then took my abilities to use my own PC away!
It was also the last Christmas gift given me by my Father before he succomed to cancer. Facebook should "warn users of the high volume /easy ways one's Facebook will allow a Hacker with even very limited skills, in to their PCs"! I even got an attorney, called the Police twice, it's a crazy thing to "friend people one merely went to school with, if they "invite you to friend", and many others from school daze are, and you don't, ya look like an ass! That's why I accepted the invite, from this person!
Also, Facebook, would be a great tool for ANYONE or ANY Gov. level, to seek out EVERYTHING about a person, "where they Live+Breathe"! ...Now the Hacker made me angry...This thought SCAREs Me!

"Those would trade temporary safety for freedom and liberty, deserve neither freedom, nor liberty."-Ben Franklin

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
Hi to all and any that use facebook....how secure is your account....what about privacy.....can you block just anyone from seeing it?

What do you like about facebook...what do you hate?

I think the fact that so many people have left facebook may speak volumes.

Hi caladonea. I'm on FB; I was on many hours today. I think my account is pretty secure. I've learned to check my Security Settings on a regular basis. It's too easy for FB's owner to change things at will, they've proven they cannot be trusted. So I maintain high security.

FB is similar to checking your email IMHO: don't click on everything you see. There are ads galore, they all want you to click 'Like', I don't know if these boosts their rating somewhere. But your FB Name will get linked if you do. And there are all sorts of cute little things people send you (people you know, people you've let in your FB 'world') like quizzes, opinions, polls, game helps or cheats, etcetera. You might click on someting to see the answer or because it might sound okay at first. Then up comes a page and they want you to surrender your privacy (and also link to ALL your friends) if you want to join a service, group, game, etcetera. So, just like on email, it's proceed with caution.

You may block anyone and everyone from seeing pretty much everything. Just because FB asks for your cell phone #, you don't have to surrender it. I listed nonsense in some areas just to throw people off. It's no one's business where I went to school, my birth date, religious beliefs, etcetera. But like I said, it's up to the individual what they do and do not want to share, and who they allow to see it.

What I like most about FB is the games. Most say the games are lame, I call them lame games myself because I'm familiar with how many folks online feel about them. But I never did like game consoles. I grew up on pinball, I'm an old fart. My fav game is FarmVille, I think its fun. There are many games I played for a while then abandoned. Today I played City Ville a really long time. It's what I wanted to do. I really like playing the games when I'm altered on mother nature.

The games remind me of Color Forms toy sets I played with when I was really little. You got a backdrop slickly printed on thick cardboard and some clingy plastic pieces and you could place things where you wanted then re-arrange them. That's what the games are like to me: really sweet ColorForms.

What do I hate about FB? The blatant ads that are made to look like someone just posted them on the Wall, as if. All the ads on the side. The stupidity of people I knew from a different site, when I got to know them better on FB I had to block most of them. Getting to know people isn't always a good experience. I dislike posts by people I game with (I don't want to block them totally becuse I want to be in on scoffing gifts & pieces for game play) but too many 'personal' posts are full of language that is for adults only. Yeah I'm old now but in th day I was a punk, been there snorted that. I just feel children shouldn't be seen filthy posts, and it is just amazing what some people will write.

What I hate most about FB is the fellow who owns FB is a lying liar. He sold millions of peoples info, exactly what he said he wouldn't do. That little bitch has more money than his family line will ever spend but its quite obvious $$$ is all that matters. I also don't like the 'creeping interface' of FB and many other really huge sites; they are all kinda tied-in now. They know who you are, what you do, where you go. Frickin creepy. Really creepy.

Thats my two cents. Thanks for asking

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
just speculating here. sneaky meetings with politicians and the like. i have a feeling one of these meetings involved an idea to make an account mandatory in order to vote, pay bills when they close all the call centres abroad, buy a tv license etc etc. the new global id system waiting in the wings? hmmmm.
f

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You can't easily quit on facebook because some other people have their 70 % time on it

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
FACEBOOK is the only thing that i am enjoying to do while I have no class or something else to do. especially when I am only at home

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I said a few years ago that Facebook has no future because of the way they treat their customers. There is hardly customer support and they change the rules every few weeks without forewarning. Privacy is handled in a lax manner and many have awoken to the fact that Facebook is just another massive waste of precious time.

<< 1    3 >>

join