It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Ignorance - There ARE Straight Lines and Right Angles in Nature!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

The two (straight-line and omnidirectional travel) are not mutually exclusive.
I would consider 'omnidirectional' to be the antithesis of 'straight line travel'. Perhaps I am looking at this in an incorrect manner. The idea that lasers are straight natural formations caught me as unusual, after all...do lasers occur naturally?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

That's right, lasers certainly don't occur naturally. But we can only create lasers because photons, naturally, travel in a straight line. If photons traveled in all directions, we wouldn't be able to focus them no matter how many fingers we crossed.

With unfocused light, consider the following artistic diagram:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/305bd50c7454.jpg[/atsimg]

The light travels out in all directions, but each photons travels in a straight line.
All a laser does is force each photon to travel in the same direction:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/641d5633a2c3.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 13-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I see where you are going with the laser/light thing.

While a laser isn't really a "natural" straight line, the light is still traveling in a straight line.

An example of how one could observe this, is sunlight coming down through clouds. With the right conditions you can see perfectly (well, as close as possible at least) straight beams of light shining down from the sky.

Which, by the way, is one reason I was thinking people all across the globe built pyramids.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I think I understand your diagram (this new one looks better btw). If we travel outward in all possible directions with natural light then one of those possible directions just so happens to be a straight line.

I do appreciate the time you have spent here on ATS explaining your perspective on such things like this. It definitely has given me much to think about.

edit on 6/13/2011 by Devino because: added smiley

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

This thought has caused me to wonder if the angles of the pyramids can mimic the nature of light, or other sources of energy, as it propagates outward following the inverse square law.
Here is an example of the inverse square of energy making a pyramid shape.
Inverse square law

In this way can we determine the size and distance of the Sun using such a shape? Perhaps an obelisk. Form following function is the idea here.

I apologize for venturing off topic but this thread is inspiring me today.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thank you for your help and the comments regarding light.

I realize now the laser picture seems out of place, hopefully, everyone understands where I was coming from...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
i think you would have a great argument with Gaudi the famous architect whos work is found in the city of Barcelona, Spain

he was a famous for not using any straight lines in his architecture....as he believed that they didnt exist in nature.

he even built a famous church with these paremeters...in barcelona he built le sagrada familia, casa batlo & park geull...

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com...

p.s. i think the laser you showed is void...lol...the best one to prove your theory has to be the snowflake.

peace

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Anytime. I don't always debunk...sometimes, I defend

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by satron

Colloquial term, not mathematical. You know full well what he means.

Actually no, I was expecting something that would have pointed that it actually existed. I mean, scientists say, as the thread title contradicts, that lines don't exist in nature, and it hasn't been shown that that's the case. I'm not knocking the OP, but I was misled by the thread title. I realize that what seem to be lines do exist in nature, like looking at the horizon in a flat portion of Earth, or looking at an evergreen forest sitting on flat land, lines and right angles there, though neither are as exotic as the pictures the OP has provided.

Don't roll your eyes too far now.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I think you need to look at the pictures again, nature produces straight lines & right angles.

Many posters here will go to Google Maps, find some "ancient city grid" on the ocean floor, with straight lines and right angles present....then use the argument that it must have been created by man, since nature.........

Maybe my OP was not clear

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It's ok, I just the thread title too literally. I should have been tipped off at the thread being located in Ancient and Lost Civilization forum instead of say, Science and Technology.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
OK - so there are straight lines produced in nature but look at you didn't show any large items which would look like perfect squares or large buildings.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Can you give an example?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Do photons travel in a straight line when they are near a strong gravitational field?

Just checking.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That's already been covered.

Are there straight lines and right angles in nature?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by butcherguy

That's already been covered.

Are there straight lines and right angles in nature?
Sorry, I missed that.(BTW, I went back through the thread and still didn't see where light and gravity interaction was covered, but NBD)

Of course there are. They are everywhere if people just look.

I can't deny that and haven't.
edit on 14-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)
edit on 14-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Do photons travel in a straight line when they are near a strong gravitational field?

Just checking.

Indeed they do. According to GR, gravity "warps" space, but photons continue to travel in a perfectly straight line through this warping. This merely give the appearance, to us, that light bends (and we call it gravitational lensing), when, in fact, it doesn't.

Honestly, Signals, the laser was probably the best example of straight lines in nature. All elementary particles travel in perfectly straight lines unless some external force (especially electromagnetism) acts on them...in which case they move in geometrically perfect spirals.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
There are also plenty of example of nature forming perfect circles. For instance:

(I'd also put non-manmade crop circles in this category, as well)

Or spirals:

When nature does something, it does it perfectly.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by butcherguy

Just checking.

Indeed they do. According to GR, gravity "warps" space, but photons continue to travel in a perfectly straight line through this warping. This merely give the appearance, to us, that light bends (and we call it gravitational lensing), when, in fact, it doesn't.

Honestly, Signals, the laser was probably the best example of straight lines in nature. All elementary particles travel in perfectly straight lines unless some external force (especially electromagnetism) acts on them...in which case they move in geometrically perfect spirals.
I always wondered about that part of GR.
I thought, hmm, maybe the light that we see 'bent' through a lens of glass may be going straight too.

I always saw the answer as a cop-out by the relativity theoreticians, but I am just a layman, so I have no room for an opinion.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Pancake rocks of New Zealand. Punakaiki, West Coast, New Zealand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join