It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are they digging for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Link

Babylon was the capital of ancient Babylonia, an early civilisation that existed from around 1800 BCE until 600 BCE.

Nebuchadrezzar II (reigned 605-562 Bc) built its most famous hanging gardens, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

"We already asked Bremer in June to request that an immediate end be put to these activities, but nothing happened"

Mufid al-Jazairi,
Iraq's US-appointed interim Culture Minister

Large parts of it were reconstructed and restored to its former glory by Iraq's former president Saddam Hussein in an attempt to restore ancient historical sites preserving Iraq's rich and diverse history.

Describing anecdotal accounts of the damage, al-Jazairi said ancient roofs and walls had collapsed while other buildings had been destroyed or badly damaged over a period of time.

He also said workers employed by US contracting firm Kellogg, Brown & Root (KBR) had been digging and building in the area around Babylon, causing further damage.

Al-Jazairi said he did not know what the digging was for and that his department had not been informed about it.

Polish commanders and representatives of KBR were not immediately available for comment.

Iraqi officials raised the issue of damage to Babylon in June with the former US occupation governor in Iraq, Paul Bremer, and the former US-led forces commander, Lieutenant-General Ricardo Sanchez, who issued a statement saying they were aware of the complaints.

The minister said their complaints and suggestions fell on deaf ears.

"We already asked Bremer in June to request that an immediate end be put to these activities, but nothing happened," al-Jazairi said.

"We again ask the multinational forces to put an immediate end to such activities. We can't ignore any more what's going on at the site and the harm that is being done."

The Polish military contingent consists of about 8000 multinational troops operating in the southern-central region of Iraq, with many of them based around Babylon.

So the question is, what are they digging in Babylon for?

- Was

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Wassabi]

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Wassabi]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Now that I think about it, with all the rebuilding going on around Babylon, that would have been a good place to hide some WMD's.

In any event, I'm convinced that Babylon will continue to be rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iraq's capital moved there. If peace could be brought to the area, the UN might rebuild its headquarters in the city. The move would be a big help to NYC citizens and NYPD.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I know about the American government not having much respect for this ancient site who knows maybe Bush wants them to find the arc of the covenant or the grail or may be he wants them to look for the door to the garden of eden.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I've been trying to find out more online about what might be of interest underneath the sands covereing Babylon. So far I havent found much, but I did find several references to Saddam considering himself King Nebuchadnezzar reincarnated, which is why he was trying to restore the ancient city. Anyone ever heard of that?

- Was

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Heres a nice painting of Saddam notice the profile of Nebuchadnezzar behind Saddam�s profile.

Rebuilding of the ancient ziggurats. Looks like the methods havent changed in a few thousand years.His workers had to carry the bricks up by hand in long lines just as they did anciently.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
While it would be understandable to be there looking for weapons, what if its much much cooler. What if it was the Ark or the solid gold Idols from Marduks temple?

- Was

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Missed this about 9 days ago...

Iraq�s interim culture minister says US-led troops are destroying irreplaceable historical sites and religious artifacts, including the ancient city of Babylon. Mufid Al-Jazairi says heavy equipment, helicopters and other machinery used by Polish forces based at the Babylon site, about 60 miles south of Baghdad, are causing irreparable harm.

"Just their presence, with their heavy equipment, is harmful in and of itself," Al-Jazairi said, adding that helicopter landings and take-offs were a particular problem.

Al-Jazairi also told Aljazeera TV that workers employed by Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root had been digging and building in the area around Babylon, causing further damage. He said the foreign presence should be removed from the area as soon as possible to prevent any further damage.

Archaeological experts from the ministry do not know the exact extent of the damage because they are not allowed to enter sites where troops are stationed or working. But Al-Jazairi said he has received information that several ancient areas, including a couple of famed temples and an ancient palace, have been badly damaged or destroyed.

Babylon was the capital of ancient Babylonia, an early civilization that existed from around 1800 BC until 600 BC. It was the site where Emperor Nebuchadrezzar II built his famous hanging gardens, considered one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.

Why in the world would someone setup camp for an army right on top of a ancient archaelogical site? Again I ask, what are they digging for and why are they hiding it?

- Was

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Little Georges brain? The original skull and bones christmas cracker ring? One of Saddmans bunkers, like wasn't he famous for hiding in fear under places he knew wouldn't be bombed? Treasure? Haliburtons pay cheque?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
KBR Builds oil refineries, Before you build, you must dig.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They cant possibly be digging test holes in the middle of a Archaelogical treasure?

- Was

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
there`s another topic here somewhere about the sumerian`s and a possible stargate or something(the city of babylon being somewhere in sumer or something)...again something to do with planet x which i am sure has been discussed here many times

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Ancient artifacts/technology.

In answer to Codemaster_01's statement: "In any event, I'm convinced that Babylon will continue to be rebuilt. I wouldn't be surprised to see Iraq's capital moved there. If peace could be brought to the area, the UN might rebuild its headquarters in the city."

I doubt very much that the UN headquarters will be moved there. If you're looking for Mystery Babylon, look no further than the United States of America and New York City. I know what most of the establishment pastors and so-called biblical 'scholars' teach concerning this subject, but the logic behind their interpretation is rather faulty at best. Why would the text of Revelation 17:5 say MYSTERY BABYLON if it is talking about the actual physical location of the ancient city of Babylon. That would not be a mystery now would it? Makes absolutely no sense.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
From MSNBC and Newsweek....

MSNBC

On the ground in Iraq the pillaging is all but impossible to stop. Earlier this month American journalist Micah Garen was abducted while working on a documentary about efforts to protect Iraq's treasures. His captors have threatened to behead him. With the future of Iraq so uncertain, the protection of its buried past is not really a priority of the occupation troops or the newly sovereign regime of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi. "The reality is, we put Iraqi guards on many of the most important sites with little training, and at first they weren't armed," says Bogdanos. "Four men pull up in a pickup truck, and they are armed: What are you going to do? Is the guard going to lay down his life for antiquities? Do you put an American platoon on every site?"

As it is, the Coalition military sometimes makes matters worse. When Columbia University professor Zainab Bahrani visited the site of Babylon late last spring, she was stunned to see an American military base spreading across the hallowed ground. Workers scooped up earth potentially rich in relics to make blast walls. Bulldozers carved out helicopter landing pads, and the vibrations from the choppers themselves did still more damage. Portions of two ancient temples have collapsed and Nebuchadnezzar II's palace is threatened. "We're very worried about the palace walls," said Bahrani. "They're made of brick. They rattle when the helicopters take off."

For believers contemplating the rise of the looters, lines from the Revelation of Saint John the Divine may come to mind: "Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen." For archeologists, for the faithful, for all of us, the loss of this past impoverishes the future. Ripping artifacts from their contexts takes away the last chance we have to know those civilizations�from the world of Abraham to that of Nebuchadnezzar�that gave us our own.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wassabi
They cant possibly be digging test holes in the middle of a Archaelogical treasure?

- Was

Maybe not test holes but foundations for army bases or refineries.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Wask]

top topics

join