It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "You're Rubbing off on Me" Phenomenon.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I am pretty sure we have all experienced this.

You start hanging out with someone on a regular basis. After a while, you start noticing yourself subconciously replicating some of the mannerisms of said person. At some point, you might say "yo man, you're rubbing off on me."

So I was thinking about this, and looking at it in a scientific matter. Basically, we are all a bunch of atoms. By being in close proximity with someone for extended periods of time, you will literally start becoming each other.
Your atoms are being exchanged with that person, and vice versa.

Just thought I'd share this; I find it to be very intriguing.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Eh...I don't think so.

More like "monkey see, monkey do".

We're social animals and we act like each other the more we hang out with each other.

For reference, see Facebook.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I see your quantum wave collaspe theory and raise you one synchronicity on the road to the singularity.
mind over matter..
now the real question is are we rubbing off on someone because we are giving out energy..
or are taking it from us..
and if both of you have equal but opposite charges, will you finally cancel each other out and become some what neutral or explode in a violent outrage...
oh the mind boggles.
S+F

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

You know what they say, monkey see monkey do

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

I wouldn't go so far as to state there is an exchange of atoms, or that we are becoming the other person. Rather it's an empathic response. We relate and mimic behaviors in order to create closer social bonding. But I don't believe it is to the same extent for all people, some absorbing more or less of another person's characteristics, and even those within certain parameters. In other words, we still can't be who we aren't meant to be.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I believe it's called "herd mentality".

It is what dictates our society.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Having lived with another chick my age during college, I know beyond a doubt that there is something deeper to it. Take for instance the fact that we had our periods at the same time (literally within days of each other). It didn't start out that way but yeah. Sorry if that was a little much for you guys out there
I mean, if our female chemistry was linking up like that then it must say something about us. What are your guys' thoughts on that?
edit on 10-6-2011 by wildoracle13 because: caant spelle

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildoracle13
I think all of you guys are right on some level. But having lived for 2 years with another chick my age during college, I know beyond a doubt that there is something deeper to it. Take for instance the fact that we had our periods at the same time (literally within days of each other). It didn't start out that way but yeah. Sorry if that was a little much for you guys out there
I mean, if our female chemisty was linking up like that then it must say something about us. What are your guys' thoughts on that?

Dare I reply......ok but please don't take this the wrong way....I offer it with utmost humility.

I remember reading up on dog training when I was younger (14ish) and a true story in the book I was reading talked of an encounter in the street between a blind man with a seeing eye dog(Labrador) and the author of the book who was walking his own dog at the time. When they got to talking about the dogs reactions with each other the blind man stated that the authors dog was on heat(menstruating). When the author asked how he could tell the blind man replied that he could smell it(heightened senses) and indicated that the dog has a hormone that it releases behind its ears and around the groin.

I am assuming that there would be a similar hormone secretion with a human female though its detection is only noticed by the subconscious.

Maybe the cycles synchronise on a subconscious level due to the hormone secretion?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by wildoracle13

My girlfriend and all of her friends have their "aunt flo" visit within days, if not hours of each other. Sometimes it's a good thing, all the guys get to hang out on the beach while the ole' ladies are at home whining and cramping and complaining!!!

But yea I have noticed the "you're rubbing off on me" phenomena in both myself and others. How many times have you had a friend say "dude you got me saying that now" or even better "wow man I was just thinking that" ?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
There was actually a study done about that, where they put women with significantly different cycles together for a period of time and they all ended up having their period at the same time. It was part of a documentary I watched about human anatomy and stuff a few years back. So it is fact that women who spend a lot of time togehter, whether living or working, this will happen. I worked for an attorney as a secretary in the same office space as another woman for 6 years. We had this happen to us, as well. Pretty neat, in a gross way.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Thanks. I am ewwwed out. But...okay. Yeah.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hey OP, I agree with your post. I don't believe its all monkey see monkey do. In some case, that it is the reason, as we have followers in this world and leaders.

Back to your point, I would argue that we develop a propinquity when we are around people for a while. You start using words that they used on a regular basis, as well as use their mannerisms. Its just something that you pick up. Some people are calling it monkey see monkey do, well if thats the case, our whole life is based of monkey see monkey do. Question: Where do we get our mannerisms, slang, and accents anyway.

Answer: It comes from the people that we grow up around (friends, family), TV, music...etc. To me its bigger than just monkey see monkey do, as if that was the case, we just mimic everything we see.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It is all about WHO you take it from
and WHO you bring it to.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I believe the period synchronicity thing has to do with reproduction rates. The more fertile women at the same time the higher the chances of pregnancy, the more offspring being born at the same time, the more mothers to care for the offspring, etc. It's not so useful for us now but when humans all lived in small communities, it was an essential part of our survival.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ever since I was a little kid, I had a natural and talented predisposition to mimic those I hang around with. It actually annoyed people, "Act like yourself, not me!"

I have no idea why some people are easier to "rub off on" than others. As I grew up I learned not to do it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
I believe it's called "herd mentality".

It is what dictates our society.

This right here.

Also, anytime your buddy says, "Hold my beer and watch this!", Darwin rubs his greedy hands together, itching for another award presentation. Stay away from having this sort of mentality rub off on you.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This sort of thing happens when you are younger (i.e., 20s or yonger) in most people, I think. Maybe it is a function of the flexibility of a personality that is still being developed?

When you are older you stop caring so much, which is unattractive in a different way -- you become a "stick in the mud" and more generally unresponsive to others, less reactive in general, more rigid.

At least that seems to be the general pattern. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
This sort of thing happens when you are younger (i.e., 20s or yonger) in most people, I think. Maybe it is a function of the flexibility of a personality that is still being developed?

When you are older you stop caring so much, which is unattractive in a different way -- you become a "stick in the mud" and more generally unresponsive to others, less reactive in general, more rigid.

At least that seems to be the general pattern. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions.

I've seen it happen in older people too. I think when you get older it's not so much that you stop "developing your personality." I think it's purely because older people usually don't congregate regularly in communities: schools, groups of friends frequently, sports, summer jobs, etc. After a while, most old people have nothing in common except being old.

It's a shame our society is grouped largely on our ages.

top topics

join