It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to become a Mason. I have big questions.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Ah, there you go then - but I should apologise for not reading your post closely enough the first time! I think I'd worked it out that agnostics would be ineligible, either due to their non-acceptance or belief in a Supreme Being, or due to the early traditions of the organisation.

[ As a slightly O/T aside, I will say that I do know something about agnosticism, & it's not so much a belief in one's doubt, it's more of a straight-out inability to believe, but I guess this is semantics.]

I'd like to have learned more about Freemasonry during my father's lifetime, as he was possibly the most honourable man I've ever known, but he was reluctant of any discussion due to my mother's constant ribbing. She was too focussed on the rites & rituals, and I mean no disrespect when I say that, to an outsider, these are unutterably boring! It was the lack of emphasis on these things that made this topic more accessible to me.

Thank you for your explanation & time.I doubt I have any more questions to ask, so instead, I'll listen to answers given to other posters.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well, the definition of an agnostic is one who believes in g-d, but just does not know the nature of g-d... that fits the definition of belief in the supreme being and a faith in the immortality of the soul...

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
H'mm, faith in the immortality of the soul. Now thay's something that had never occurred to me, theron dunn. Now I shall have to look at agnosticism rather more closely, I see. Thanks for pointing this out to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
If the rest of you don't mind, I'll give a little update about what happened so far:

I finally received an e-mail from a mason, in reply to the one I sent for information, as part of the ask12be1 initiative. It seems he is the site webmaster. I hesitate to divulge what he wrote, but since I'm not a mason yet I'm assuming it's alright. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
So I originally wrote a mail asking for information, and I also wrote a little bio of myself. I had a few simple questions about joining, etc. So, I get this response:

"I am forwarding 2 for you. If you seek a second sponsor, I will be glad to
meet them with you.

Please note that we are keeping track of results, so once you know if this
one is going anywhere let me know why or why not."

There you have it. And below that was a quote of what I wrote. I don't know what it means, really. I think there was a miscommunication of some kind. In any case, I wrote back asking for clarification.

I also drove by the Lodge on the way home, and lo and behold my message was no longer sticking out of the mailbox - looks like someone picked it up. I also noticed that when I turned around to walk down the front steps to my car, a man in a van was driving by, staring at me. A bit creepy, LOL. Probably unrelated.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by LTD602
So I originally wrote a mail asking for information, and I also wrote a little bio of myself. I had a few simple questions about joining, etc. So, I get this response:

"I am forwarding 2 for you. If you seek a second sponsor, I will be glad to
meet them with you.

Please note that we are keeping track of results, so once you know if this
one is going anywhere let me know why or why not."

First of all, we do not have vans and follow people around. That is done by the government.

Sounds like this person is forwarding your mail on to two people. You will have to be sponsored by two people before you can petition to be a mason. So, they will probably contact you to set up a meeting and can discuss your questions and ideas. Also, you can get a feeling for the men you may one day call brothers.

I guess they would like to understand better why or why not people join the lodge. Fairly simple and straight forward mail. I personally got a nice long mail when I asked about joining. But, some people are more quiet than others, and the Brethren that sponsored me love to talk.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Ah . . .I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well, good news!

I've received a reply to one of my e-mails requesting information about masonry, and a mason from the local ldoge replied today, and informed me that they will be having an "open house" this Friday evening and that I'm welcome to attend and ask questions. I'm really looking forward to it.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Congrats, enjoy yourself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join