It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAMs? ATS radio net doable?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I've seen several threads over the years regarding the end of ATS, end of the internet, etc...

Think something like ARES or RACES but ATS specific?

I think it would at least be kind of fun to attempt and make some contacts trying.

Could even make use of ICS-213's.

It's a community service to provide emergency communications during a disaster.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm in: KZ7B

Extra Class

P.S. This is not really a short post. It's pithy!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
i am a long time ham..in my opinion in a shtf type disaster all bets are off.no lisence inforcement.have you ever wondered how many cb radios are stashed in peoples closets? cb radio will come back due to its avalibility to the public.it will be a mess but thats what most folks are familur with..add ham radio to this it may work to provide help the folks with cb will be calling for help you monetering cb bands can relay to provide that help..internet will be down ..we will drop back to the way things were in the 50s or 60s..no cell phones ..community radio nets for communicationwe will moniter those nets and try to help

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wouldn't be encrypted though....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
cbs will be worthless
frms will be worthless
gmrs will be worthless

even ham radio most likely

your going to have thousands if not millions of people trying to use them all at the same time.

ham radio license seems to limit that sometimes but without law enforcement people will do what they do,.

i prefer ham tho but i am just not so sure when there are alot of people.

and dont forget about DSTARS or DRATS
edit on 8-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
ham radio license seems to limit that sometimes but without law enforcement people will do what they do,.

I understand what you're saying, but there just aren't that many HAM radios lurking in closets. Plus, hookimng one up can be a bit of a challenge. I would guess the airwaves would be relatively clear.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

kinda proves what i was trying to say

a cb is a double edged sword

everyones got one the airwaves will be jammed and unusable.

which is why ham radio is a more atrractive choice at least for me.

most people have more than one means of commo.

cover all your bases and your good to go.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

An excellent idea. The biggest and most well organized alternative thinking ham radio group, IMO, is the ARUFON group. ARUFON meets on Tuesday and Saturday evenings at 7:00 PM CT on 3.9777 MHz and regularly attracts 20 to 30 amateur radio operators for every net. In contrast, MUFON's net on Wednesday evenings at the same time and frequency net rarely attracts more than 3 or 4 hams. I think the real problem with establishing an ATS net will be maintaining interesting under the terrible propagation conditions that continue today.

73, W0DRZ

new topics

top topics

join