It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

600 dead penguins wash up in Uruguay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

www.news.com.au

ABOUT 600 dead penguins have washed up on Uruguay's Atlantic coast over the past few days.

Experts are trying to determine what has killed the animals.

A navy statement says the latest batch is 200 dead Magellan penguins discovered on the shore at La Paloma about 200km east of Montevideo.

A marine animal rescue group previously reported that the carcasses of 400 Magellan penguins washed up around the resort town of Piriapolis along with dead turtles, dolphins and albatrosses. The resort is about halfway between Montevideo and La Paloma.

Experts say it is common for dead penguins t
(visit the link for the full news article)

New link
edit on 7-6-2011 by rattan1 because: New link to article

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
More dead animals......something is definitely wrong here. Can animals sense that something very bad is going to happen and therefore committing suicide? No rational explanation yet....what do you think might have caused this?

It is happening with turtles, dolphins and albatrosses as well, it could be some kind of poisoning but this is happening too often and in different parts of the world.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rattan1

Link's busted. Hopefully they were wrong.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
link is broken

heres correct one:

www.news.com.au...

Also, here's the part you seem to have cut off:

Experts say it is common for dead penguins to appear in the area at this time of year, but the extent of the die-off appears to be unusual.

Could be a number of things, from environmental toxins, to fishing nets to dramatic changes in localized ocean current temperature.
edit on 7-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
link is broken

heres correct one:

www.news.com.au...

Also, here's the part you seem to have cut off:

Experts say it is common for dead penguins to appear in the area at this time of year, but the extent of the die-off appears to be unusual.

Could be a number of things, from environmental toxins, to fishing nets to dramatic changes in localized ocean current temperature.
edit on 7-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

What in the world??? Penguins...Man that is terrible. This seems so strange. I saw a documentary like a year ago talking about the Polar Bear dying out due to loss of habitat...I wonder if that is what is happening to the Penguins?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
1200 penguins die in Chile 2009 - www.earthweek.com...

Penguin deaths in New Zealand 2010 - www.3news.co.nz...

100,000 Penguins die on Falkland Islands May 2002 - www.falklands.net...

Mass dieoffs in the USA in 1 quarter of 1995 - www.pownetwork.org... (all species - no penguins tho)

No, it's not particularly strange or unusual - it's just not often reported in the MSM

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I agree... something is definitely wrong. Dead birds and sealife all over the world.

www.sott.net...

thecomingcrisis.blogspot.com...

just some recent stories in past xouple days

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I don't know about suicide....it is not a natural occurance in nature as far as I know. Animals have no concept of it.

Now maybe underwater volcanic gas releases or something similar? Possibly.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rattan1

ummmmmmmmmm that link it ummm doesnt work

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
I don't know about suicide....it is not a natural occurance in nature as far as I know. Animals have no concept of it.

Dolphins commit suicide. They simply choose to stop breathing.
Octopii in captivity have been known to kill themselves, too.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Here is a working link from the same source as the OP -

www.news.com.au...

A marine animal rescue group previously reported that the carcasses of 400 Magellan penguins washed up around the resort town of Piriapolis along with dead turtles, dolphins and albatrosses. The resort is about halfway between Montevideo and La Paloma.

Also one from July last year (530 Dead Penguins)

www.news.com.au...

Hundreds of dead penguins, birds wash up

The Institute of Environment and Natural Resources said 530 penguins, numerous other sea birds, five dolphins and three giant sea turtles have been found in the coastal towns of Peruibe, Praia Grande and Itanhaem, with more likely on other nearby beaches.

Very strange indeed, seriously what is up with all the wildlife die offs..... it's crazy and kinda scary.

Let's hope we're not next

edit on 7-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

they got the rapture. LOL not humans but animals get to be saved.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Hypoxia and or Eutrophication. This could actually be what is happening. Here are some links about Hypoxia, Dead Zones, Eutrophication, and Anoxic Events.

Anoxic Events - Wiki

Oceanic anoxic events or anoxic events occur when the Earth's oceans become completely depleted of oxygen (O2) below the surface levels. Although anoxic events have not happened for millions of years, the geological record shows that they happened many times in the past. Anoxic events may have caused mass extinctions.

I am not saying this is an Anoxic Event. But in the long term,if things like this keep happening and the frequency increases than within several decades a massive toll could be taken and it could end up being considered an Anoxic Event. This is a global concept so this is just information as food for thought, and I am not implying this is the case....yet.

Dead Zones (ecology) - Wiki
However look at this information.

Dead zones are hypoxic (low-oxygen) areas in the world's oceans, the observed incidences of which have been increasing since oceanographers began noting them in the 1970s.

In March 2004, when the recently established UN Environment Programme published its firstGlobal Environment Outlook Year Book (GEO Year Book 2003) it reported 146 dead zones in the world's oceans where marine life could not be supported due to depleted oxygen levels. Some of these were as small as a square kilometre (0.4 mi²), but the largest dead zone covered 70,000 square kilometres (27,000 mi²). A 2008 study counted 405 dead zones worldwide.[2][3]

So as the dead zones in the ocean increase, we will see more major disruptions in the ecosystem like these die offs most likely. The UN studies show clearly that their accounting for dead zones globally went from 146 to 405. Of course they could have missed a handful in the earlier survey but I am sure some of them could have formed rather recently as well.

Hypoxia (enviornmental) - Wiki

Hypoxia, or oxygen depletion, is a phenomenon that occurs in aquatic environments as dissolved oxygen (DO; molecular oxygen dissolved in the water) becomes reduced in concentration to a point where it becomes detrimental to aquatic organisms living in the system.

Eutrophication - Wiki

Eutrophication (Greek: eutrophia—healthy, adequate nutrition, development; German: Eutrophie) is the addition of artificial or natural substances, such as nitrates and phosphates, through fertilizers or sewage, to an aquatic system.[1] In other terms, it is the "bloom" or great increase of phytoplankton in a water body. Negative environmental effects include hypoxia, the depletion of oxygen in the water, which induces reductions in specific fish and other animal populations. Other species (such as Nemopilema nomurai jellyfish in Japanese waters) may experience an increase in population that negatively affects other species.

We could also be seeing Eutrophication's effects on the sea life as well.

Causes of these events could be varied and we could be seeing a mix of factors leading to this. Pollution can lead to Eutrophication which can lead to Hypoxia and in a grand global scale we would call this an Anoxic Event. Also the state of the climate and it's variations can have drastic effects as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Penguins can breathe above water but a collapse of food chain due to the above causes could easily lead to starvation.

Or they could have eaten food that was poisoned severely, or been poisoned directly themselves.

The causation of the pollutant chemicals does not necessarily have to be human, although we often suspect ourselves of polluting excessively.

There could be underwater volcanic events that poured tons of chemicals into the water and these animals happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

However I have not heard of any types of underwater eruptions recently.

We did have the Chile eruptions a few days back, and it could be possible that a load of the ash fell into the ocean and suffocated the animals and they slowly keep washing ashore in this area. The ocean currents and wind patterns would actually match up with this reasonably.

However if these animals were killed by ash fallout there would be some amount of evidence left, and would be apparent to anyone dissecting the animals for an autopsy.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

edit on 7-6-2011 by wolveseyes because: date incorrect

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

Also one from July last year (530 Dead Penguins)

www.news.com.au...

Hundreds of dead penguins, birds wash up

The Institute of Environment and Natural Resources said 530 penguins, numerous other sea birds, five dolphins and three giant sea turtles have been found in the coastal towns of Peruibe, Praia Grande and Itanhaem, with more likely on other nearby beaches.

Very strange indeed, seriously what is up with all the wildlife die offs..... it's crazy and kinda scary.

Let's hope we're not next

That's interesting. The Op's article says this kind of die off isn't all that uncommon this time of year, though not to this 'extent'. And you are posting of another one about the same size about the same time last year, (although on a different coast).

To me, that implies this isn't necessarily that uncommon of an event.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
When are mosquitoes going to have a mass dieoff?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CodyOutlaw

I believe that idea of dolphins has been dis proven. Marine Welfare

I also do not know about your assertion with the octopus. Link

Either way, this is disturbing!

new topics

top topics

join