It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 24
<< 21  22  23   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Philo means FRIEND. I am of greek heritage and live in greece.

Cool - - how are things in Greece. Don't you think you should capitalize your own country.

Anyway - - my granddaughter is half Greek. Would love to take her there someday.

No. Full capitalisation indicates a corporation, something that Greece is not! Of course after the european union and IMF get finished robbing the country blind, things may change, but I doubt it and hope not.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Philo means FRIEND. I am of greek heritage and live in greece.

Cool - - how are things in Greece. Don't you think you should capitalize your own country.

Anyway - - my granddaughter is half Greek. Would love to take her there someday.

No. Full capitalisation indicates a corporation, something that Greece is not! Of course after the european union and IMF get finished robbing the country blind, things may change, but I doubt it and hope not.

OK - - I guess I see your reasoning - - sort of.

I'm an All Human - One World - no borders person - - -but that's a different thread/topic.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Because certain elements of them were wrong. Hell, certain elements of them are somewhat present but improved upon in modern times too. Their thinking was primitive, it was pre-scientific and pre-philosophical. They didn't have as full a grasp how to think as we do today.

They're down their still in the dirt, while we're standing proudly upon the shoulders of giants who are on other giants and so on and so forth for a few thousand years.

They lived in a different time with different priorities and their thinking was very flawed in many ways. I can point it out to you if you want.

I'll say this, they sure did know how to tell a story...even though storytelling has moved immensely forward since then.

The countries that you consider "back-ass-words" today work less and enjoy life more than europe and america with their so called "freedom".

Um...what? I'm talking about history. Also, don't put something I never said into quotation marks, it makes your dishonesty worse.

Freedom to over-taxation and freedom "to vote" which criminal they prefer in office. LOL

And freedom to not die of polio, malaria, starvation, have longer lives, have healthier lives, and have at least some level of self-determination. We also get that whole 'freedom of speech' thing that you probably wouldn't have in a country like...Libya.

Of course, you're set in your ways, so I know this is a futile refutation.

And here is another "joke". India, egypt, china, greece, rome, sumeria gave ALMOST EVERYTHING to the modern world when the modern world was still sleeping in tents and hunting as nomads for survival. They were barbarians and uncivilized!

Um...what? That's actually a very big misconception. Aside from the fact that 'civilized' is a relative term, the idea of barbarism is not at all supported by the evidence. Sure, they didn't have societies that were as sophisticated, but I'd note that more information and progress has been made in the last 150ish years than in all of human history combined.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Apparently linguists had it wrong, context has nothing to do with anything! You just take strict literal translations of root words and that's all that you need to do to understand their meaning!

Let me guess, universe means "one line"

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Um...what? I'm talking about history. Also, don't put something I never said into quotation marks, it makes your dishonesty worse.

I was not quoting what you said, rather I enclosed the interprated context of your post in quotations to downplay and mock it.

Freedom to over-taxation and freedom "to vote" which criminal they prefer in office. LOL

And freedom to not die of polio, malaria, starvation, have longer lives, have healthier lives, and have at least some level of self-determination. We also get that whole 'freedom of speech' thing that you probably wouldn't have in a country like...Libya.

Of course, you're set in your ways, so I know this is a futile refutation.

If people in the UK or America raised arms, just like al-queda did in libya, don't you think the government would respond in a similar fashion? Tyrants or even rational leaders do not like being cornered like rats. It seems your a bit naive to put it mildly.

And here is another "joke". India, egypt, china, greece, rome, sumeria gave ALMOST EVERYTHING to the modern world when the modern world was still sleeping in tents and hunting as nomads for survival. They were barbarians and uncivilized!

Um...what? That's actually a very big misconception. Aside from the fact that 'civilized' is a relative term, the idea of barbarism is not at all supported by the evidence. Sure, they didn't have societies that were as sophisticated, but I'd note that more information and progress has been made in the last 150ish years than in all of human history combined.

I have neither a superiority nor a inferiority complex since I am a greek-american, but I do get offended when people do not give old cultures the credit they deserve. Yes an awful lot of progress has been made the last 150 years or so, since the industrial revolution in europe, but an awful lot of freedom seems to have been sacrificed for the purpose of superficial pleasure rather than substance.

For example there are still many diseases that remain uncured and while new medicine has been plenty, people only live twice as much as they lived 2000+ years ago rather than up to 200 years old. Also we are still on the same rock called earth despite the fact america and russia went to the moon 40 years ago. Ufos and aliens is still an unresolved topic as well.

There is room for much improvement!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
"In the Beginning there was the word and the word was God and the word was with God".So God didn't exist until we had a word for him/her/it.This is what is important. We have used deities to explain the things we can't explain. Thor was the God of Thunder. We now have science. I have friends that truly believe the world is 8000 years old.There were civilizations that had writing 10000 years ago. We have found evidence of human civilization that is over 100,000 years old. So that Adam and Eve thing, if that was true we would all have the same DNA.I have no problem with seeking out a higher power. I just think that the human mind is the highest power.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAMYANKEEDEM
I just think that the human mind is the highest power.

Then you must be deluded.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by DAMYANKEEDEM
I just think that the human mind is the highest power.

Then you must be deluded.

According to who?

You?

top topics

<< 21  22  23   >>

join