It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

There are "religious" people that believe that.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
reply to post by Annee

In your opinion what is the definition of god? What is the definition of a diety?

I am an Atheist - - who believes all is energy.

That everything is energy - - a creation from energy.

And energy can either create or destroy anything in this universe or mulitverse, which means humans and aliens are made of matter. God can mean the supreme creator or simply a gallactic alien leader!

I was raised in the Religious Science church - - you know the teachings? Science of Mind.

My mom was one of the original members of Norman Vincent Peale's - - Power of Positive Thinking church.

I knew of metaphysics before it had a name.

Sounds like scientology and yes its fraudulent organisation. In fact from what I hear, its loosely based on aleister crowleys Ordo Templi Orientis, which is a known satanic fraternity.

edit on 6/12/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: changed word

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

And energy can either create or destroy everything in this universe or mulitverse, which means humans and aliens are made of matter. God can mean the supreme creator or simply a gallactic alien leader!

Energy is science.

God is a belief - - religion is man manipulating a god belief.

A title of a Galactic "off planet being" - - - yes it could be a title such as General. However - you know we are discussing the religious concept of god - - - not an "off planet being" General.

like scientology and yes its fraudulent organisation. In fact from what I hear, its loosely based on aleister crowleys Ordo Templi Orientis, which is a known satanic fraternity.

This shows extreme ignorance. Perhaps you should research before you spout off.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Ah, I love it when people try to explain philosophical concepts to me that I spent a marathon 20 hours studying as well as took a year long 60 hour course on, and that's just specifically on metaphysics.

Hell, I'm also an English teacher, so it's more amusing when someone tries to explain English words to me.

I understand friend but sometimes the truth is hidden in plain site if you understand the original meanings of words. Over time, and I suspect not for good reasons, the meanings changed to confuse people and to steer them down the wrong road of no return.

...so things accepted by fact as people. Even though common sense tends to be defined as 'intuitive'

Common sense is what most people accept as fact as a result of indoctrination, whereas intuition is based on gut feelings.

...love of wisdom. I'm sorry, but it's the first thing anyone learns in a philosophy class.

*Philos* in a strict literal translation from greek to english means *friend*.

To you..well, you're wrong. Metaphysics has universally referred to the philosophical practice of understanding the framework of the physical world, though the advent of modern science started to largely push this to the side. There has never been an 'elite physics' referred to as metaphysics, elite physics is what we find in peer reviewed scientific literature

Meta from greek to english in strict literal translation means *after*..

Unless you understand the original meanings then cutting through the *expletive deleted* is an excercise in futility. What do disclosure and congress mean? First word means *disc* + *lo* + *sure*= flying saucer! Congress means *con* + *gress* = the opposite of progress!

...um...so...ignorance or jokes? I'm not quite sure.

Neither! Again literal translations, word for word! pro=positive and con=negative and what does *gress* mean?

Progress means to go forward, regress should mean to repeat and congress should mean to fool!

Now go ahead and get drunk again, but in the long run you might consider becoming a mason. What do you think of masonry my stubborn athiest "friend"???

I didn't get drunk, I contemplated it. Trust me, if I were drunk the post would have been longer and far more visceral. As for masons...eh, the ones I know are alright.

I don't hate masonry but these people tend to study the occult history of everything.
edit on 6/12/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: fixed a quote

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm sorry, but what specific good has religion caused that couldn't have been performed without it?

There are many things that mankind has been inspired to do because of their beliefs in deities... architectural feats for example, were typically pushed to do the inspiration of the builders who were trying to mimic the immensity of the world of the gods....

Why again were the Pyramids constructed? Because they were bored? Or because they were inspired by their beliefs? Even if that belief is as simple as " I can gain immortality through this structure.." human abilities were stretched, new items were learned etc....

Now I would be remiss if I did not mention the great sufferings also caused at the hands if these inspirations... but, as I mentioned, every invention of mankind has both benefits and risks...

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

And energy can either create or destroy everything in this universe or mulitverse, which means humans and aliens are made of matter. God can mean the supreme creator or simply a gallactic alien leader!

Energy is science.

God is a belief - - religion is man manipulating a god belief.

Absurd nonsense!

A title of a Galactic "off planet being" - - - yes it could be a title such as General. However - you know we are discussing the religious concept of god - - - not an "off planet being" General.

God can have more than one meaning and it does not have to be of the fraudulent religious nature.

In other words it could be of the spiritual nature and since aliens crossing the cosmos in relatively short periods of time are vastly superior to us, we could unknowingly be calling them demons and angels, god and satan.

like scientology and yes its fraudulent organisation. In fact from what I hear, its loosely based on aleister crowleys Ordo Templi Orientis, which is a known satanic fraternity.

This shows extreme ignorance. Perhaps you should research before you spout off.

Isn't scientology one of those feel good cults? Perhaps your mother belonged to a different cult but most of these feel good cults are indeed satanic in nature. "Oh, but I expected them to reveal this to me when I joined"

Yeah, your naive. Next person please!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Isn't scientology one of those feel good cults? Perhaps your mother belonged to a different cult but most of these feel good cults are indeed satanic in nature. "Oh, but I expected them to reveal this to me when I joined"

Yeah, your naive. Next person please!

Still spouting off with no real knowledge.

Didn't bother to research - did you?

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'm a little confused about your etymological assertions here.

Unless you understand the original meanings then cutting through the *expletive deleted* is an excercise in futility. What do disclosure and congress mean? First word means *disc* + *lo* + *sure*= flying saucer!

More like dis + closure, where closure means a barrier or division. So, literally, it's the removal of barriers or divisions. In this context, the removal of barriers to information.

Congress means *con* + *gress* = the opposite of progress!

Congress is actually derived from congredi, con meaning together and gredi meaning to walk. So in the context of Congress, it's a group of people (ideally, but never in practice) moving together. Progress obviously has the same root and the prefix pro means forward, so it means to move forward.

Again literal translations, word for word! pro=positive and con=negative and what does *gress* mean?

You're mixing up your Latin roots due to our desire to shorten words in modern language. Con, as in congress, comes from com, which literally means together; Latin uses con instead of com before most consonants, like the g in gress. Con, as in a negative position, derives from contra, which literally means against. So your "literal" translations aren't really all that literal.

Progress means to go forward, regress should mean to repeat and congress should mean to fool!

You're right about the meaning of progress. Regress literally means to go backward. And we've already discussed the meaning of congress.

Seriously, etymological dictionaries are the bomb. Everyone should own one.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

I'm a little confused about your etymological assertions here.

Unless you understand the original meanings then cutting through the *expletive deleted* is an excercise in futility. What do disclosure and congress mean? First word means *disc* + *lo* + *sure*= flying saucer!

More like dis + closure, where closure means a barrier or division. So, literally, it's the removal of barriers or divisions. In this context, the removal of barriers to information.

Ok. I think you are correct here!

You're right about the meaning of progress. Regress literally means to go backward. And we've already discussed the meaning of congress.

Seriously, etymological dictionaries are the bomb. Everyone should own one.

So *gress* comes from the latin *gredi* which means to walk. Con is a negative/false position and I don't think it has anything to do with *com*. Re means *again*. So if we put *con* and *gress* together we get *to walk negatively*. *Con* + *fuse*= to fuse falsely!

Similary I must admit I got philosophy wrong as *philo* means *friend* and *sophia* means *wisdom* so together we get *friend of wisdom* rather than friend of knowledge.
edit on 6/12/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: fixed a quote

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

So *gress* comes from the latin *gredi* which means to walk.

Yes.

Con is a negative/false position and I don't think it has anything to do with *com*.

Using con to mean a negative or false position is a relatively recent invention of language that stems from the Latin word contra, meaning against. Again, the prefix con, as in the context of the word congress, is the form of com, meaning together, that is used before most consonants in Latin, such as the "g" in gress. Feel free to look it up.

Re means *again*.

Or it means back, but we're splitting hairs on this one.

So if we put *con* and *gress* together we get *to walk negatively*.

Again, wrong prefix root. See above. You don't have to take my word for it. Like I said, etymological dictionaries are one of the best things ever.

*Con* + *fuse*= to fuse falsely!

Same root prefix as in congress, so it's not fusing them falsely, but fusing them together. In the literal sense, it's used to mean mixing things together until they become indistinguishable... a literal state of confusion.

Similary I must admit I got philosophy wrong as *philo* means *friend* and *sophia* means *wisdom* so together we get *friend of wisdom* rather than friend of knowledge.

Close, philo actually takes it past the "just friends" step and into love. Philosophy is literally the love of wisdom.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

And you just dodged the question. The architecture you mentioned has been met by and surpassed by non-religious architecture.

I asked for something that could be done only by religion, not something that can be inspired by all sorts of things.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

And you just dodged the question. The architecture you mentioned has been met by and surpassed by non-religious architecture.

I asked for something that could be done only by religion, not something that can be inspired by all sorts of things.

Well that's just a reductionist way of looking at it... once again you try to stifle the differend ....

The beginnings of our massive and great architecture were indeed inspired by beliefs in gods... sure, since we moved out of the cradles of our civilizations we have improved on it... but it all originated from those....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Really? So the pyramids were built because of religion, not because of the pharaoh trying to show off?

If you can claim all of architectural history on religion because some religious structures were among the first major construction projects, then I guess we can say that everything boils down to idiocy because our first discoveries were all based on some pretty stupid decisions.

Again, where is the evidence of something that could not have been produced without religion, not something that happened to have been first produced by religion.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You seem to have a disdain for primitive/ancient cultures and their thinking....

why is that?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You seem to have a disdain for primitive/ancient cultures and their thinking....

Not a disdain for their cultures as a whole, merely parts of them. And their thinking is just wrong.

why is that?

Because certain elements of them were wrong. Hell, certain elements of them are somewhat present but improved upon in modern times too. Their thinking was primitive, it was pre-scientific and pre-philosophical. They didn't have as full a grasp how to think as we do today.

They're down their still in the dirt, while we're standing proudly upon the shoulders of giants who are on other giants and so on and so forth for a few thousand years.

They lived in a different time with different priorities and their thinking was very flawed in many ways. I can point it out to you if you want.

I'll say this, they sure did know how to tell a story...even though storytelling has moved immensely forward since then.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I guess this is our difference... I don't have an issue with "flawed thinking" or people being "wrong"... Rarely is that the issue i have with others.....

Im more interested in how people interact and why, than on how accurate something is.

The search to be right is only one of the many drives of humanity... Another is to be loved, another is to inspire, another is to catalog.... Even Francis Bacon understood this...

edit on 13-6-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

Con is a negative/false position and I don't think it has anything to do with *com*.

Using con to mean a negative or false position is a relatively recent invention of language that stems from the Latin word contra, meaning against. Again, the prefix con, as in the context of the word congress, is the form of com, meaning together, that is used before most consonants in Latin, such as the "g" in gress. Feel free to look it up.

Considering the number of "mistakes" the american government makes I will continue to believe congress is a CONjob aka *walk fasely* or *walk negatively*.

Re means *again*.

Or it means back, but we're splitting hairs on this one.

There is no such thing as "back". Re means AGAIN as in redo, rethink, reposses, rewrite, reeducate, recraft, etc.

So if we put *con* and *gress* together we get *to walk negatively*.

Again, wrong prefix root. See above. You don't have to take my word for it. Like I said, etymological dictionaries are one of the best things ever.

Most definitions and meanings change over time.

*Con* + *fuse*= to fuse falsely!

Same root prefix as in congress, so it's not fusing them falsely, but fusing them together. In the literal sense, it's used to mean mixing things together until they become indistinguishable... a literal state of confusion.

When you fuse things together falsely then OBVIOUSLY they will bring confusion.

Close, philo actually takes it past the "just friends" step and into love. Philosophy is literally the love of wisdom.

Philo means FRIEND. I am of greek heritage and live in greece. Don't you think my greek is better than yours?

Philosophy means *friendly wisdom*. Psychology literaly means *study of the soul* and has NOTHING to do with anything else. Atheists with their stubborn stupidity over the ages have transformed many a words into something that holds no original merit.

It kind of pisses me off!

edit on 6/14/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: fixed quotes!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Because certain elements of them were wrong. Hell, certain elements of them are somewhat present but improved upon in modern times too. Their thinking was primitive, it was pre-scientific and pre-philosophical. They didn't have as full a grasp how to think as we do today.

They're down their still in the dirt, while we're standing proudly upon the shoulders of giants who are on other giants and so on and so forth for a few thousand years.

They lived in a different time with different priorities and their thinking was very flawed in many ways. I can point it out to you if you want.

I'll say this, they sure did know how to tell a story...even though storytelling has moved immensely forward since then.

The countries that you consider "back-ass-words" today work less and enjoy life more than europe and america with their so called "freedom". Freedom to over-taxation and freedom "to vote" which criminal they prefer in office. LOL

And here is another "joke". India, egypt, china, greece, rome, sumeria gave ALMOST EVERYTHING to the modern world when the modern world was still sleeping in tents and hunting as nomads for survival. They were barbarians and uncivilized!
edit on 6/14/2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: quotation marks

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

The countries that you consider "back-ass-words" today work less and enjoy life more than europe and america with their so called "freedom". Freedom to over-taxation and freedom "to vote" which criminal they prefer in office. LOL

And here is another joke. India, egypt, china, greece, rome, sumeria gave ALMOST EVERYTHING to the modern world when the modern world was still sleeping in tents and hunting as nomads for survival. They were barbarians and uncivilized!

This reminds me of:

How much money did you make - - - How much money did you hang on to and use to build something - - that would give you profits?

The Modern World - - - built on what it was given. That's the difference.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Philo means FRIEND. I am of greek heritage and live in greece.

Cool - - how are things in Greece. Don't you think you should capitalize your own country.

Anyway - - my granddaughter is half Greek. Would love to take her there someday.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join