It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You Describe God, What is Your Concept of Him

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by Vicky32

Dear Vicky32,

And I believe the same, all are saved. That may take some time; but, it is always available. As I understand hell better, I understand salvation better. In my view, we save our selves by loving others.

Yes, the important thing is, "that may take some time" - but God is patient!
(I saw your thread about Aspergers, BTW, my 2 nephews have Aspergers, the younger one tending towards autism, and my son and I both have aspects of Just Aspergers... )
Vicky

Dear Vixky32,

Just know that we are unique, as my friends constantly remind me, we matter and everyone is special. We just have to learn to coexist,

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I would describe God as the embodiment of everything. God is where everything came from and where everything is going. Too many things in the universe are too perftect for it all to be a coincidence and/or accident. Accidents do happen and not everything is perfect. Just like me, I'm born 9 months and a day after my parents anniversary and I am no saint. But I still exist. So who knows. This is a great question that has sparked some good answers. At the Episcopal Cathedral in Phoenix, Az. there is a stained glass window behind the alter and I always wondered what it was depicting. Then one day during a sermon, the pastor said that God is a great 8 winged Angel and that is what the window represented. I do have faith but I know that I am not the best Christian. I pray every night before bed, but only get to church for the holidays. So for me to say that I know what exactly God is, I would only be able to answer from what I believe in my heart, not from what I have learned in church.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheInterceptor
i would describe god as absent. better yet, not real.

i would also describe god as mythological.

We have found our first troll. Please go back and read the OP, you specifically violated the threads topic as was explained in it. When a moderator comes by I ask that he read my OP and remove your post.

Here you go again trying to shut down anyone who's opinions do not resonate with your own. TheInterceptor gave you an honest opinion of god. He is completely on topic! Is your world so fragile that it cannot withstand differing opinion? Calling TheInterceptor a troll was a weak and transparent attempt at discrediting him and his opinion. In so doing, all you've achieved is outing yourself.

You will note that TheInterceptor's post has not been removed by mods. Perhaps you should question why that is? I'll give you a hint. Your current understanding of what a public discussion forum is, is wrong. If you want opinions that only resonate with your own, you will need to create your own private forum for people who only agree with you.

Nuff Said!

IRM :shk:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
My loved friend...
Thanks for creating this thread, of this very important issue, more important ever in this day and hour.
Issue I say, actually God is no issue... God is the source, the question and the answer, the darkness and the light, the silence and the noise.
God is living and vibrant
God is personal
God is all over
God is who whispers to us in the silence of the night
God is who knows our right behind the wrong
God is who send out His heart to us, even we knock it down time by time
God keep coming back
God is love and so much more
God is exactly what God needs to be
God can´t be limited by any concept, idea or book
God dwells where all the opposites meet
God is you
God is me
God is far more than all of that

My words cannot tell anything of God
I know that in this day and hour some key choices are to be made
By all of us
Do we accept the fact that God is the source
That God dwells within our own hearts
Do we
Invite God into our lives
Discern from within that awareness
What to do and what to avoid
Do we say
YES!
To Unity
Imagining creating how amazing this place could be
Really amazing
Possibilities abundent
Releasing the true nature of our hearts
Or do we choose to stay in ignorance
Seperated alone
Working against Brothers Sisters
Abusing Mother Earth
Being isolated
Vulnerable to mindcontrol
Manipulation
???

God is only waiting for our reply
For me it is an easy choice
See all the hands and hearts reaching
!!!

And remember faith is a natural ability of the heart, we only have to re-learn it
If you do not have faith, no proof can be provided
If you have faith no proof is needed
I have seen proof, amazing proof that God is real
If we give faith a chance and open the heart
(just try... you can always close it again if you want... which I doubt you will
)
You´ll see proof enough

Love love love to you all

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
God is the answer to the question.

Do you ever look at it in this sense.... God is a thing that has to be.

Just think about that. All the different ways you can look at that.

It's weird when you really think about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Yes, somehow it was easy to me to understand the link between your previous thread and this one, it make sense to me. Today we are living a preamble to an open persecution of the believers, we christians are first in the list, but not the only ones. Check this site as an example :

www.persecution.com...

Also, remember what is happening in Tibet : www.freetibet.org...
edit on 6-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I remember being taught to pray by my grandmother and imgining god as a giantic blue-ocean vault.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
To me...god is the eternal light...the source.

A lake will reflect the outer world perfectly...cause a ripple and you get a distorted picture.
This world is in chaos, causing many distortions.

Love and understanding of one another, will help to restore the distorted picture...to its previous perfection..

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
In the beginning there was no light, there was only a pure infinite ocean of consciousness called GOD and this consciousness it wanted to experience itself, it wanted to see itself and in that split second of contemplating itself billions and billions of beams of light went out in every direction and what were these beams of light? they were YOU and I. We were the children ,we are the children of GOD ,of this one central source of all life.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

This is really quite a simple question. It does not require you to be fully understanding, I don't believe we can fully understand anything, I do believe we can grow in our understanding of everything by sharing information, our little bit of knowledge. If you join this thread to tell me that there is no God then you are off topic. If you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like.

I said in my OP, don't waste my time with there is no God. This is not a survey to find out how many people believe in one, it is to see how many different perspectives people have on the one they believe in.

So, you should have made it clear that the thread was for 'believers only' from the beginning if that is your position with this. Instead, what you have done is created a closed question which forces participants to subscribe to your belligerent viewpoint (as indicated by your 'rules') if they wish to discuss it. FAIL....

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I would describe God as a figment of the imagination by those who find difficulty in managing their lives for themselves and need a prop.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
God, as in the god of islam, not real. As in the god of judasm, not real. As in the god of christianity, not real.
Just like oden, isis, neptune, zeus, satan, quetzatcoatl, santa and wrestling.

NOT REAL..

What is real is the underlying concept that connects all these ancient beliefs. There is a universal consciouness that permeats all things. Not a god.

Take a look at all your stories christians, they are ALL stolen from religions that existed long long before yours. Even the story of jesus was around thousands of years before you claimed it as your own, or did you not know that?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
God is a word that is used and in general we say 'he', this makes most people assume that 'he' is a 'human being'??
God IS being, but 'he' is not human. 'He' is 'being' human , he is 'being' everything.
To be or not to be? This is the question.
The question is God.

So Aquestion (the op) is a play on words.
God is the question and the answer.
You are talking to yourself.
It looks like you (question) and I (answer).
Together this is God.

You can search high and low for God but you will not find him there.
God is here. No where to go to find God.
Nowhere is a placeless place, it is now- here.
edit on 6-6-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
This 'now' 'here' is what makes it all possible. This is the container for it all, it all happens here. There is no other time and there is no other place, this is it. The whole of existence appears now.
What is this appearance and what is it appearing to? How is this possible?

The belief in another time or place causes fragmentation to occur. Humans spend most of their 'time' dealing with issues of the past or future causing worry, guilt, fear, anxiety. They do not realize that this eternal now is it.
Spend life in the midst of life.
Or have suffering in the shadows of your mind.

It is the mind that makes time by worrying about tomorrow or yesterday.
Time itself is a construct of the mind, it is constructed out of thought, the thought of five minutes from now does not make time, but there is the 'illusion' of time created.
Creating time out of nothing is pretty amazing, that's the power we have as humans. Creating the illusion of time is not the only 'thing' we create as humans. We create the illusion of everything we perceive.

If it is always now, there really is no time or space, there is no room for manoeuvre????
We really are nowhere. (now here).
Yet look at what is apparently going on.
Movement, color and sensation.
The awareness of this is undeniable.
To me this is God.

When all of it is realized there is a freedom from the world of 'things'.
It is known that what i am is not a thing.
That all 'things' are illusions.
The only real 'thing' is this nowness, this presence.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
This 'nowness' is only possible if there is an awareness of it.
I am and this is.
These do not come separate.
I am that i am.

Find your home and feel at home.
Kick back and enjoy the ride.
God is not old fashioned, he is new, fresh and alive.
God is aliveness itself.

The founntain of life is here and now.
The source pours in at this point only, if you are aligned with 'another' time then the life force will be not be so strong.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is the life long question many ask. Who is he? No one know for sure. Everyone's concept of God is different. Do I believe in a God? Yes. My perception of God may be different then the regular person's view.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
As I think your request in the OP is fair, I'll refrain from "bashing" and answer your question:

I would describe "god" as a word people use whenever they can't deal with the many uncertainties that are surrounding us - in some cases the result of experiences that might be out of the "normal", called "spiritual" or something like that.

If I were a believer, which I obviously am not, I would not accept the sexist notion implied in your title: why should that "god" be a man by definition? why would the gender dichotomy apply to it?

Now the good thing for me is that I simply never have to deal with this, as I don't use it to lead a life and reflect upon it... science is enough for me. and the understanding it's sheer impossible to grasp it all, and it's not needed as well

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I agree that the best way to find God is to question everything and come to a belief inside your heart. An agnostic is searching for their personal truth. A worthy goal for anyone. Believing or saying you believe because you were taught to, or brought up that way is a sad hidden feeling that might not let you feel the love of God because you aren't looking for it. (IMHO)

But I believe God is energy. You will see, hear, smell him as you imagine him to be. But when you speak to him and he speaks back to you, it's very hard not to accept he is there.

And those that claim they don't believe probably wouldn't enter into a discussion on God if they didn't have some question in their mind that needs answered. Everyone is searching for something, weather they know what it is or not.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Originally posted by TheInterceptor
i would describe god as absent. better yet, not real.

i would also describe god as mythological.

We have found our first troll. Please go back and read the OP, you specifically violated the threads topic as was explained in it. When a moderator comes by I ask that he read my OP and remove your post.

Here you go again trying to shut down anyone who's opinions do not resonate with your own. TheInterceptor gave you an honest opinion of god. He is completely on topic! Is your world so fragile that it cannot withstand differing opinion? Calling TheInterceptor a troll was a weak and transparent attempt at discrediting him and his opinion. In so doing, all you've achieved is outing yourself.

You will note that TheInterceptor's post has not been removed by mods. Perhaps you should question why that is? I'll give you a hint. Your current understanding of what a public discussion forum is, is wrong. If you want opinions that only resonate with your own, you will need to create your own private forum for people who only agree with you.

Nuff Said!

IRM :shk:

You are so silly, in case you missed it, we don't all agree on our views of God and I didn't seek agreement. I just wanted to see what others saw without having to hear how stupid we are for seeing the world through each others eyes. Do you really think after all the haters posts that we don't know there are non-believers. Don't believe, don't waste my time. And you are off topic, the question was and is, how do others see God, their God, not my image, I didn't even start by saying what mine was, so how could I have been looking for others to agree? As for his post, it was off topic, go read the OP.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Dearest AdamsMurmer,

I pray that you like where this is going. No leaders, just sharers of our love. Why must others say we are haters when we are not as we live our faith and you only live it when you know love, all faiths teach that somewhere. They just mess up their priorities. In my bible it says "Your tradition makes void the word of God". Tradition, unthought beliefs, not thought out ones. Think about this, I am old and you I believe are younger, you have so much time. If what we learn here today from others, from all of us, not me and not you, all of us. If you learn that all of us want to love one another in the end, then that will impact how you act later and how others learn what is possible. Here is where it gets wild, this has already occurred, we have already learned and learned to our core because we experienced enough to know it is the truth, we can be different and love one another, you understand that more than anyone else. LOL, your username.

One who tried to stop this thread from being well managed was ManOnTrial, think about his username. It says that the Devil is before God, day and night accusing us. I always ask other of what does the Devil accuse us, perhaps he accuses us of not having complete love.

I'm not too sure how to respond to this, except, thank you.

The Accuser... other than being the people we meet in our lives, to me he is the ego, the I, the Self, the shackles that say "You're not good enough to do/be _____."... from this stems man's selfishness, greed, inability to coexist, pride, envy, and so on. From these things it's so easy to be twisted (wicked) into worse things, eventually falling down the spiral of hate, wrath, gluttony, intemperance, intolerance, etc. When I looked at the correlation, and looked at several other things like the Buddhists journey to liberate oneself from their ego, the deeper meaning of the crucifixion (crossing out the I), I started to feel free. I kept saying, "Others, Lord, others." Not giving my own life a second thought because I know I'll be taken care of... we don't need to tell God what we need, right? He knows.

So I started thinking of others even more. I have always been empathetic and compassionate for others more than myself, but there was still hate in my heart, still rage, still depression. Those were shadows I wanted to leave behind. I have lived as a bipolar person for some time. Can you imagine feeling intense rage and depression at the same time? The feeling that your soul is screaming while your eyes and heart tremble. All those things were intensifying, I had to get rid of them. So I did just that. I let go of material/earthly bonds. I just floated away. This was me fasting from the world. It was a bumpy ride but when I saw all as One, when I realized the combination of the Golden Rule with the idea of at-one-ment, when I realized a slap on the face to another (be it my friend, brother, or enemy) was a slap on one's own face, I saw that our little differences or lifestyles ultimately don't mean much as long as we hold true to love, and all the things that love brings, for one another. If Love is God, and God is Light, then Love is Light, and with Light, you have the spectrum like on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon logo. Each different colour is another aspect of love, like compassion, empathy, humility, and so on. I try to keep all that in my heart, and leave no room for darkness. The prism in that logo, to me, is a good way to see our bodies and hearts, with God's light coming into us, and the spectrum being God's will coming out from us. To fill my heart with darkness is far worse than death. Now I look at everyone with equal eyes regardless of what they believe or how they live their life - even the poorest or "worst" people of society can precede the self-proclaimed "holy man" if he sticks to God's will (Matthew 21:28-32). Things are clearer now. I can smile again.

I remember speaking to a girl a few years ago, someone I believe as being very special to me, and we talked about love and smiling, and so on (her name meant "smile," which I remarked as ironic because she had a hard time smiling herself). I didn't have many answers back then or even the right answers. I do now. When I tried to answer her back then, I had to really try, like looking around in the darkness to find a needle. But now, things are lit up, I see it, it's right there, and I can share it properly now. And as I'm writing this, this passage came into my head: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." And while this passage has to do with judgement, I see another possible interpretation of it. From the Gospel of Thomas is the other interpretation I meant, even using the same parable as Matthew: (25) Jesus said, "Love your brother like your soul, guard him like the pupil of your eye."
(26) Jesus said, "You see the mote in your brother's eye, but you do not see the beam in your own eye. When you cast the beam out of your own eye, then you will see clearly to cast the mote from your brother's eye."

No wonder I was crying, angry, unable to smile, had a hard time grasping unconditional love, and couldn't see clearly -- I had something in my eye.

I started this post having no idea what to say, but I raised my hand up into the air and all this kind of just happened. I'm glad to be able to share it anyway, regardless of why or how. It would be selfish of me not to share.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join