It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You Describe God, What is Your Concept of Him

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is really quite a simple question. It does not require you to be fully understanding, I don't believe we can fully understand anything, I do believe we can grow in our understanding of everything by sharing information, our little bit of knowledge. If you join this thread to tell me that there is no God then you are off topic. If you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like. This is not a thread for endless statements about religion and all it's evils, that would also be off topic, you don't have to believe in a religion to have a concept of a God.

This is not a thread where you have to prove anything, this is not about proving God exists. If you believe in a deity then that is good enough. I am laying out the ground rules so that those who choose to can discuss the question open and freely without getting into the meaning of it all just yet. We can always start a new thread later. I will give my explanation, my belief later in the thread, I will however give a bit.

All knowledge starts with sentience, a self awareness. In the end all knowledge is just a beginning. You can "know" a thing; but, not all aspects because we just keep finding more ways to learn, more questions. My belief in God came about over many decades, I began as an agnostic (and still respect that perspective, they are still questioning what they believe). In some ways I will always be an agnostic, questioning what I do believe. Going back and rethinking it as I learn more.

Science provides us a great format for looking at things. It says that we should develop and refine while always being open to being wrong. It cannot prove or disprove a God, there is no proof of anything, only theories and tests. My beliefs about God came about from investigating for myself, reading books from many (not all) faiths and that included gnostics and even Luciferians. Somewhere along this thread hopefully we will hear from some of them because the fact is they have something to offer even to Christians. I would also welcome Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhist and anyone else that would like to help us understand where we differ and where we agree. I will ask the Moderator to review what I have written here and please don't let people hijack it or intentionally take it off topic.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The ancients knew and understood that the universe itself is a fully conscious entity, it is aware of all things at all times. Look for yourself, this is very true.
It is THIS concept that has been twisted, mis-interpreted and twisted again and again into this most ludicrous of idiotic ideas that there is some 'being' or 'god' out there somewhere and that somehow we humans are important.
We are not.

"god", as you call it, is nothing more than the universal consciousness that permeates everything, everywhere. It's the same thing that you feel and identify as your 'self'.

To think of a 'god' as in the god of christianity, judaism, islam etc is akin to believing in santa claus, tooth fairy, wrestling or mickey mouse.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i would describe god as absent. better yet, not real.

i would also describe god as mythological.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by manontrial
The ancients knew and understood that the universe itself is a fully conscious entity, it is aware of all things at all times. Look for yourself, this is very true.
It is THIS concept that has been twisted, mis-interpreted and twisted again and again into this most ludicrous of idiotic ideas that there is some 'being' or 'god' out there somewhere and that somehow we humans are important.
We are not.

"god", as you call it, is nothing more than the universal consciousness that permeates everything, everywhere. It's the same thing that you feel and identify as your 'self'.

To think of a 'god' as in the god of christianity, judaism, islam etc is akin to believing in santa claus, tooth fairy, wrestling or mickey mouse.

Dear manontrial,

You got a star for being the first to respond. I do however have a problem with your last sentence. It is unfair for you to make fun of beliefs that don't agree with yours, let them speak for themselves. You don't know what every Christian thinks, in fact, you might be quite surprised by how my Christian belief is similar and based on sentience. Please respect the right of others to just say for themselves what they believe.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If there is a GOD, you are it, or a part of it anyway....

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInterceptor
i would describe god as absent. better yet, not real.

i would also describe god as mythological.

We have found our first troll. Please go back and read the OP, you specifically violated the threads topic as was explained in it. When a moderator comes by I ask that he read my OP and remove your post.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
If there is a GOD, you are it, or a part of it anyway....

Dear Caji316

Fair enough, if you are part of it, how do you understand the rest of the creation?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Please explain how my views on god are not welcome in this thread.

you asked and i gave my honest feelings on the subject. do i need to subscribe to YOUR beliefs in order to post here?
edit on 5-6-2011 by TheInterceptor because: correction

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
This is really quite a simple question. It does not require you to be fully understanding, I don't believe we can fully understand anything, I do believe we can grow in our understanding of everything by sharing information, our little bit of knowledge. If you join this thread to tell me that there is no God then you are off topic. If you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like.

I said in my OP, don't waste my time with there is no God. This is not a survey to find out how many people believe in one, it is to see how many different perspectives people have on the one they believe in.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I dont think Im capable of understanding who or what "God" is. But I know I do not fear God and I dont think God would want me to

link   
It really depends on what view point you have, and which god you really are talking about. In it's simplest terms and I am speaking from an Archaeological stand point, a fertility god or something that derives meaning from creation. That's in it's simplest form IMO. Now if you extend it to me anyways it would be a being of greater intelligence that can create at will, think at will, allow and take away free will from his/her subjects, and resides in a higher state of being then mere mortal men and women. I hope that isn't too confusing but that is what I would say, other's would say, a being who is all of the above but is not active in men or women's lives. Hands off approach kind of like either a chess game, or a simulator in a way. Does that make sense hope so?

link   

By the way any who wish to prove that there is no God, please go start your own thread. I promise not to read it or respond to it. You are also welcome to your beliefs.

link   
you state:
." If you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like."

If i do not believe in god then how is "absent, not real, and mythological" not good ways of describing "him"?

should i say " i do not believe in god but if i did he would be tall and happy."?

do what you would like with my posts. i stand by them. if i went off topic for expressing my beliefs then delete them.
edit on 5-6-2011 by TheInterceptor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by readytorevolt
I dont think Im capable of understanding who or what "God" is. But I know I do not fear God and I dont think God would want me to

Dear readytorevolt,

When I say your understanding, I assume it is limited as is mine and everyone else's. That is okay, please say what you do think he/she/it is like. Describe how you view it's essence. If you will and if you wish to.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
It really depends on what view point you have, and which god you really are talking about. In it's simplest terms and I am speaking from an Archaeological stand point, a fertility god or something that derives meaning from creation. That's in it's simplest form IMO. Now if you extend it to me anyways it would be a being of greater intelligence that can create at will, think at will, allow and take away free will from his/her subjects, and resides in a higher state of being then mere mortal men and women. I hope that isn't too confusing but that is what I would say, other's would say, a being who is all of the above but is not active in men or women's lives. Hands off approach kind of like either a chess game, or a simulator in a way. Does that make sense hope so?

Dear Golithion,

It made perfect sense and thank you so much for contributing. A greater sentience that we may or may not be a part of, if I may make an attempt to summarize.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

The rest of creation? Are you serious?

Ever heard of the big bang? Gravity? Time?

All it takes is time and gravity and the rest just follows. It does NOT take some type of intelligence to form a planet or to form protiens together into molecules. Surely you understand this.

It is mathematically IMPOSSIBLE that this planet is the only one in the universe with complex life on it, or even in our galaxy. This planet is NOT special and neither are the organisms which live on it.

Try NOT believing so strongly in a fairy tale that WAS written by humans. Ancient humans at that who had very little understanding of what they were seeing and feeling. What they wrote was allegories and concepts which have been misread, misinterpreted and very very twisted over time.

Don't take acient stories so literally.
edit on 5-6-2011 by manontrial because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-6-2011 by manontrial because: spelling mistakes

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

you asked and i gave my honest feelings on the subject. do i need to subscribe to YOUR beliefs in order to post here?

I think what he was trying to say is you can't post your opinion since you don't believe in God. This thread is asking for the way you see God, you don't see God at all. In other words, this one is for believers...no offense.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by manontrial

The rest of creation? Are you serious?

Ever heard of the big bang? Gravity? Time?

All it takes is time and gravity and the rest just follows. It does NOT take ome type of intelligence to form a planet or to form protiens together into molecules. Surely you understand this.

It is mathematically IMPOSSIBLE that this planet is the only one in the universe with complex life on it, or even in our galaxy. This planet is NOT special and neither are the organisms which live on it.

Try NOT believing so strongly in a fair tale that WAS written by humans. Ancient humans at that who had very little understanding of what they were seeing and feeling. What they wroe was allegories and concepts which have been misread, misinterpreted and very very twisted over time.

Don't take acient stories so literally.

Now you are simply off topic. You used your original statement of how you believed God was in order to insult every other belief. Nobody asked you to believe anything and we are not discussing why people believe what they do quite yet. Why do you feel a need to go off topic, insult all beliefs other than your own and belittle those who do not have an identical belief to yours? Why not let people speak for themselves? Please try and be a better person and not bring conflict where there was none. Peace can be found.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

I think what he was trying to say is you can't post your opinion since you don't believe in God. This thread is asking for the way you see God, if you don't see God at all. In other words, this one is for believers...no offense.

Dear Trueman,

Yes. Do you now understand why I did my previous thread, it was so that we could lovingly have this one. Glad you are here, please tell us what you think.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Now, my opinion :

I think I will never be able to give God an specific shape or form, but He can choose a representation, thru Jesus, Buddha, or some others who spreaded His words in the world. God can use a child, a homeless or someone you hate, to reach you, but many times we are too blind, arrogants and selfish to recognize Him.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join