It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Would You Describe God, What is Your Concept of Him

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
As I think your request in the OP is fair, I'll refrain from "bashing" and answer your question:

I would describe "god" as a word people use whenever they can't deal with the many uncertainties that are surrounding us - in some cases the result of experiences that might be out of the "normal", called "spiritual" or something like that.

If I were a believer, which I obviously am not, I would not accept the sexist notion implied in your title: why should that "god" be a man by definition? why would the gender dichotomy apply to it?

Now the good thing for me is that I simply never have to deal with this, as I don't use it to lead a life and reflect upon it... science is enough for me. and the understanding it's sheer impossible to grasp it all, and it's not needed as well

Dear NeverSleepingEyes,

And you did not bash. I am not quite sure if you did respond to the question as asked, you sort of said "why" you think we believe rather than described what you would want God to be like, which I also stated in the OP; but, let us not bicker over that as you did not tell us what to believe. That can be common ground for believers and non-believers, if we allow it to.

Fair remark.
Now I'm having some difficulty here... how can i want god to be like anything when i don't use such concepts in my attempts to deal with reality? If i had it my way (which wouldn't be a great idea: no single individual should get such things his or her way) there wouldn't be a need to even contemplate the notion of god as we would all learned how to deal with reality without having to bring in a 3rd party (if i would be in a bashing mode, i would have called that 3rd party the believers' imaginary friend).

So, in my universe it really doesn't matter at all. Neither does Snow White (by which i didn't mean to be disrespectful: to me, "god" and "snow white" are on the same level: human creations to entertain and transmit meaning)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverSleepingEyes
Fair remark.
Now I'm having some difficulty here... how can i want god to be like anything when i don't use such concepts in my attempts to deal with reality? If i had it my way (which wouldn't be a great idea: no single individual should get such things his or her way) there wouldn't be a need to even contemplate the notion of god as we would all learned how to deal with reality without having to bring in a 3rd party (if i would be in a bashing mode, i would have called that 3rd party the believers' imaginary friend).

So, in my universe it really doesn't matter at all. Neither does Snow White (by which i didn't mean to be disrespectful: to me, "god" and "snow white" are on the same level: human creations to entertain and transmit meaning)

The personal definition we have on God is the very basis behind whether or not we believe in such things. You have defined it to be something that doesnt exist. In my mind, setting specific parameters to meet our own biases is as much of a crutch as those who claim others definitions of God to be their own with no exploration (like in organized religion). The worst "mistake" i have made was to view such things through others eyes. Such a stance most certainly led me to atheism initially (i think many people go through such stages in the teenage years/early 20s). It was when i decided i would not let organized religions view on God define my own, as the proponents of such things were not able to follow their own words.

If we define God in even the biblical sense (alpha and omega), and various other scriptures, we come to the idea that God is the everything and the nothing, two sides of the coin. In this, that "guy in the sky" might exist, but would only be a small part of God. That is my own view on it, but it is something that is experiential that is put into words, so there will be zero understanding if all one approaches it through are word-based thoughts (as i was doing).

In my definition of God, there is no denying his existence. In your definition of God, there is no believing in his existence. Either way, we have our idea of what God "is," even if we are only using them as parameters to deny his/its/her/their/our existence.

And that is the point of interest! i will ask some questions with the intent of showing the information that is sought after. What is it, specifically, that you dont believe in? What are the parameters you have set on what God "is" that led you to where you are now? Did you search it out on your own, or did you respond to organized religions version of "god" with lack of belief as opposed to the followers blind faith? What color is snow white's hair? If you have not set parameters, whose beliefs are you basing yours of off (even if its a counterpoint)?
edit on 7-6-2011 by sinohptik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverSleepingEyes

Dear NeverSleepingEyes,

Well I got to say that you kind of pushed it here; but, I will explain why the OP was open to non-believers who might describe what they would want a God to be like. In Science Fiction people describe worlds that they do not believe exist, I am sure that there are atheists out there capable of doing the same in regards to describing a God. I believe atheists have imaginations, sorry that none took the opportunity. Now, I do hope you didn't post just to show how cute you could be by using the old "tooth fairy" analogy, that would just be dishonest and I would hate to think you were such a person.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by AQuestion

Dear Aquestion,
Thank you for your reply.
I thought i'd post these videos for you. I find them very inspiring.
If you watch them, please let me know what you think.

youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...

Namaste.

Dear itsnowagain,

I will watch the three videos and U2U any thoughts I have on it. Sorry I didn't get back sooner on this, I wanted to have the time to watch them and think. Peace

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestionIf you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like

I don't believe in God. If he did exist though I imagine him to be heartless, unforgiving and unreasonable. His form would be irrelevant; he might be a man or a conceptual idea.

I do like to hear what delusions other people are entertaining these days however. Hope this is considered on topic and look forward to hearing others interpretations of 'god'.

Peace

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

Originally posted by AQuestionIf you tell me you don't believe in God, you can remain on topic if you explain what you think he could be like

I don't believe in God. If he did exist though I imagine him to be heartless, unforgiving and unreasonable. His form would be irrelevant; he might be a man or a conceptual idea.

I do like to hear what delusions other people are entertaining these days however. Hope this is considered on topic and look forward to hearing others interpretations of 'god'.

Peace

Dear Thundersmurf,

That is on topic. I also find it sad. You said you would find him "heartless, unforgiving and unreasonable". Would you trade free will for paradise? This is but a temporary environment for us whether one is a believer or not.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
God is a giant turtle that carries the Earth on his back as he swims around the universe. I've seen it with my own eyes, that's how I know it's true.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
God is a giant turtle that carries the Earth on his back as he swims around the universe. I've seen it with my own eyes, that's how I know it's true.

Dear Nosred,

Time to get a therapists help. Believing that there may be aliens and believing that you should wear a tinfoil hat are two different things, good luck with you hat.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
When did I say anything about tinfoil hats? It is written that the cosmic god turtle will carry us until the end of time when Got-satugog the Destroyer, the eel in the sky, will consume the universe during the seventh month of Lothoighom.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred
When did I say anything about tinfoil hats? It is written that the cosmic god turtle will carry us until the end of time when Got-satugog the Destroyer, the eel in the sky, will consume the universe during the seventh month of Lothoighom.

Dear Nosredke

It is very simple, tell the truth, do you believe in the turtle or were you off topic and a lying piece of garbage making fun of believers? I can deal with either answer, if you really believe in such turtles then you should talk to a therapist and check yourself.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Hey, I'm just trying to spread the good news about the religion I just founded. Don't mock it, a few hundred years from now everyone'll be worshipping Yst'notuthia the cosmic world turtle just wait and see.

Edit: Satellite proof of Yst'notuthia

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I see YHWH as a loving father. He is the source of all things and no thing is given except by Him. He loves us in the same way we love our own kids. We are told not to sin in the same way, for example, we tell our kids not to stick screwdrivers into electrical outlets.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by iiianyydayiii
I see YHWH as a loving father. He is the source of all things and no thing is given except by Him. He loves us in the same way we love our own kids. We are told not to sin in the same way, for example, we tell our kids not to stick screwdrivers into electrical outlets.

What a lovely answer. I sometimes say that from our parents we learn to love and from our children we learn to forgive. Be well.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join