It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 EQ's in UK since beginning May

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
OK, not a lot in the great scheme of things, neither have they been 'big' by comparisson with what is going on in other places. But here is the latest

hisz.rsoe.hu...

The first, was reported in mid May on EDIS that happened in St Just at the beginning of May. Why the 2 week delay I don't know. This was quickly followed by (in no particular order) 2 in Blackpool, one in Scotland and this one just a while ago by Stoke. Anybody in the UK knows this is not the norm. Please don't come back at me saying "EQ's happen in the UK every day" and the such like. Let's move on and think a little bit 'out of the box' for goodness sake! World wide we are entering unprecedented territory and we have to apply this to what is beginning to raise its head here. Anybody like me keeping an eye on reports and seismology sites on a daily basis knows in their heart that this increase, all be it small, is ON THE UP.

I have made other threads about this, I am not predicting or saying we are in for a big one. In fact I have said that what is happening feels like what I call a 'jack hammer' reaction to what is going on else where, I have learnt that this is called 'creep'. However with latest events in south America and other places over the last 48 hours I am beginning to wonder if this is not a precursor to lithospheric fracturing which we could very easily see happening here given the UK fault lines.

Just saying

rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ive yet to feel any quake in the UK in my near 30 years, if we are going to start getting them soon just as other places around the globe get them more frequently and more servere, it will be a big shock to the UK residents causing massive problems. Look at what the snow and that little flood did to us.....

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

i agree to your jackhammer thesis

and i see the activity on the uk and the whole atlantic ridgge for that matter as a precursor to further volcanic activity in the icelandic region

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I live n the UK too, and to date have never felt an earthquake ever, in the 33 years I have been shuffling around. Never realised we had 5 in the last month, could that statistically be unprecedented, in living memory/ since records began?

I only realised a couple of years ago that the UK got earthquakes at all, I wonder how many more people around the UK live in blissful ignorance, or am I a little late to the party ?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The 2 in Blackpool (I'm local to there) may have been caused by the fracking they are doing in the shale deposits, though no definite proof of a connection has been presented.
edit on 5-6-2011 by Jamjar because: spelling

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Sorry mate I'm in Ireland and in my 30 years we've had precisely one tremor that managed to knock a picture off a wall. That was 20 years ago.

There's been nothing really strange happening over here except for the weather has gone a bit mad. Then again I did that government flood analysis if sea levels rise 30 meters and Ireland, Scotland and Wales are mostly preserved, seems to be the mainland UK that gets the majority of the flooding / damage.

We're not near a fault line, I think the nearest active volcano to us is Iceland so it's possible that the EQ readings are a precursor to an Iceland eruption rather than something for the mainland UK to worry about.
edit on 5/6/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You guys must have VERY short memories if living in the UK for 30 years and not being able to remember the Lincs and Dudley Earthquakes which only happened a handful of years ago. Not to mention the cumbrian quake felt across the North only last year (brought onset by P-Waves from a large magnitude quake, prior to the 9.0 event in Japan.)

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

Just because you dont feel them don't mean they dont happen. I live in the Peak district and we had one a few years back in the early hours of the morning, and yes we felt it.
It was a 5.3, so that is pretty big !!

People in the UK are so asleep it grinds my gears, this planet is very unhappy !!

It made pictures fall of the wall and our bathroom stuff crashed to the floor...its a very strange and scary feeling !

Peak District Earthquake news link

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Well I heard and felt the one in the Lake District and it was largest I have ever felt, I have only ever experienced a smaller one, once about 25 years ago. I think that the UK does get a lot of earthquakes about the 2. mark probably too small for most people to notice but the last few we have had seem to be of a higher level than those usually experienced in the UK.

However do not forget that the UK used to be a volcanic region thousands of years ago, who is to say that things may be waking up again. Earth changes are nothing new, I do not think that most of the earth changes are man made as the earth is more destructive and volatile than anything that man could ever dream up. However I think the earth is waking up again and very few parts of the world will be safe to live in.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thank you all for your comments. In my 50 years, I have felt 2. One in Anglesey when I was a young teenager, I believe the one I felt in Warrington about 3 years ago emmanated in Market Rassen...need to check that one!

What I will say is, since Christmas there has been what I have posted up, previous to this there has been, one in Leeds, one in Leigh (close to me but didn't feel it!) One in N Atlantic/N Sea. All small granted, but increasing in frequency.

The fracking/shale drilling has been stopped PERMANENTLY off Blackpool only last week, BGS reported because of it's direct link to increase in seismic activity in the area. I posted a thread about this. The following day it was reported that it was stopped because the company employed by BP (yes you read that right! Remember the Gulff??!!) didn't find it "economically viable" to continue due to UK high taxes! Lol!

Rainbows
jane

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Really I have felt several. the 4.3 that was in Birmingham some years ago, and the "hundreds" that followed the 4.1 in the Manchester region.

Although not spectacular. They do happen, due to the strata of the rock make up,

nothing to worry about though. So small half the timr they don't register. Like these.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
We get many dozens of earthquakes in Britain every year. Most aren't big enough to be felt. There are lots of old fault lines, cooling batholiths and of course isostatic adjustment going on.

It's been suggested the 2 quakes near Blackpool this year may be connected with fracking activities in Cumbria.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

I agree with you, I'm not even 30 and I remember feeling at least 3 in my entire life

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Please, please , pleeeeaaasssee! I did ask for people NOT to come back with things like "this happens in UK all the time"!

The point I am trying to make is, the previous 6 months to Christmas there was nothing reported on EDIS for the UK, this last 6 months there have been all the above I have mentioned. Whether we feel them or not is irrelevant, whether they are miniscule, small, big or even huge (God forbid) is also irrelevant. I am trying to show quite simply that there are more EQ's happening as they are being reported.

What I have asked, so we can try and exercise the old grey matter a bit more, is that we think outside the box a little bit. This is not such a big 'ask' given the increase in seismology/EQ's and volcanic erruptions all over the world.

For example, it would be nice to hear somebody come back with more thoughts about lithospheric fractioning....or is that too much like hard work for a Sunday afternoon, or involves some research away from ATS? Sheesh! At least one of you likes my jackhammer idea, and sits comfortably as a 'possibility' to the increase in activity. my idea is this 'jackhammering' can easily lead to lithospheric fractioning.

But.........it's ok......I'll go off and keep THINKING and coming up with my own ideas, I just hope you are all going to be ok and safe when this fractioning starts happening or liquefactioning comes to an area near you.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Sorry to complain but I have to post 10 replys before I can post a thread therefore I cannot post a thread on the earthquakes I noticed 24 hours ago. Never have I seen such an event besides Japan please if you have time take a look and if it interests you repost a thread anyway It is in Argentina 8 earthquakes in a matter of 5 hours in it looks like a 20km radius 4.9 mag around 20 to 40km deep let me know what you think

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The BGS is more reliable than EDIS/EMSC/USGS sites given its solely based in Scotland and the networks streamed live to Edinburgh and accessible via the public website. The BGS has its own 'recent earthquakes' page albeit updated when and where a quake on UK terms occurs. The recent being a mag 1.7 in Stoke on Trent only today infact (June 05.)

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...
edit on 5-6-2011 by RUDDD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm more worried about the affects of isostatic readjustment, especially here in East Anglia. We're losing land due to it, and coupled with long shore drift - bye bye land!

I'm not surprised we've had earthquakes recently, what with the Iceland volcano this year, intra-plate tectonics are bound to cause a few stirs this close to an eruption. I wouldn't be surprised if there was another earthquake in the next few months to cause chimneys to fall off, etc. Not saying it will happen, but you're right in thinking it's odd to have such quiet activity, then for 5 to happen in such a small space of time. The weather in the UK has been strange to say the least... I haven't remembered an April as dry as that in.. well, for lack of a better word, forever!!

I think we still have a LOT to learn on the relationship between earthquakes, solar activity, volcanoes and weather systems in general. I believe you're right in thinking outside the box here.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
5 Earthquakes since May is not a lot when you compare it to the 7+ in March and the 7+ in April.

And I agree with another member that the BGS is a better site for UK quakes.

If you also take a look HERE you will find a list of Earthquakes in the UK since the year 1048.

There was also an earthquake swarm in Comrie lasting between 1788 and 1801. And on March 8, 1750 there was a quake in London ~3.1, The last earthquake to have an epicentre in London.

In my opinion, if the expanding Earth theory is correct then we would most certainly see seismic activity all over the world.

THE IMAGES DO NOT SHOW ALL EARTHQUAKES
EDIT: Also note that in March 3 Earthquakes were confirmed to be explosions!

Note that April 3 Earthquakes were confirmed to be explosions!

edit on 5/6/11 by boo1981 because: add info and images

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
We are living through a period of climate change, its pretty obvious in the UK. The weather is screwed up, the wildlife is out of sync. Its not just the UK though, the US seems to be taking a huge battering lately, earthquakes in Europe, and recently volcanoes erupting in Iceland and Chile. I know natural disasters happen, but it does seem to be getting more and more frequent.

I think that depletion of oil is a main cause, it served a purpose being where it was and it has caused an inbalance, but another cause is more than likely the ridiculously unnecessary nuclear testing. Check out this video Planet earth is pissed and its trying to wake us up, but eventually it will give up on us and start again.

Nobody seems to want to know though, and I've only ever heard one person talk about it outside the internet. But I guess if things do reach a climax then there's nothing we can actually do about it. Maybe this is why people don't care, because they know deep down what's coming and want to just live their lives while they can.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

I would have to agree with you in saying that the oil must be there for a reason and not for us to be taking! There is great change happening, this has happened many a time through history.

We all have to remember that we are just mealy guests on this planet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join