It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite gun to carry?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
Having been in the military......I don't want to own a gun. Too many of you are swapping your little wee wee's for pea shooters.

The statistics are overwhelming of harm against your own folks.

Who's military? Not the US I'm betting.

I can say with about 90% certainty my little wee-wee is bigger than yours.

Your "statistics" are wrong, care to cite your source?

In the US at least, gun owners and CCW holders are some of the most law abiding citizens in the country. No responsible, and that means most, CCW holder drinks when he is carrying and in most places it's illegal. Most CCW holders will back away from inlfammatory situations just because they are carrying and know that escalating a tense situation could result in the necessity of firing on someone. I started carrying a gun because of a rash of car jackings in FL. The FL legislature responded by making it legal to use deadly force against car jackers.

You don't like guns, that's fine. But don't lie about people who have chosen to be responsible for their own safety while out in public.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

I like the Kel-Tec P3AT for concealed carry... great little .380... I use an inside the pocket or inside the belt holster depending on my attire...

I use to carry a 1911 on my ankle, but went to the Kel-Tec for an easily accessible very concealable defensive weapon...
edit on 9-6-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

I certainly hope it was a commander with aluminum/titanium everything.
I used to carry a S&W Model 13 3 inch on my ankle, I hated it when I had to run somewhere, that hurt bad.
I couldn't even think of someone carrying a 1911 for size or weight on the ankle.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Having been in the military......I don't want to own a gun. Too many of you are swapping your little wee wee's for pea shooters.

I'm rightfully scared of you folks that think gun ownership makes you a man.

Give me a crossbow or let me use my explosive weapons military experience too scare you off.

Guns are for scarred pussies that can't aim. Punks with guns is like mixing meth with testosterone. You can't handle it!!!

Guns don't make you man or make you safer. There are many other alternatives that can make you safe and not erroneously harm another human being. IE...stun guns, bear repellant, loud sirens, etc., etc.

A gun in the country is necessary. A gun in the city is suicide.

I too have military experience 24 years with most of that in SF – I am confident in my ability to carry and make the decision when to use a weapon is appropriate.

If someone is carrying a weapon either open or concealed while consuming alcohol they are wrong to begin with. Here if you test positive for any BAC you will lose the privilege to carry ever again.

Originally posted by brilab45 Even a petty burglar does not deserve to die.

This presupposes you know a person’s intent when any encounter begins… A home invasion is uncertain and I will not be asking the intruder if he intends to hurt my family or to just steal some things before I put two in his head. Luckily in my State, I don’t have to.

Personally, I have little regard for thieves; perhaps there would be fewer of them if society didn’t indulge them and let people protect their property. I am sorry your daddy didn’t love you enough little thief or that you are addicted to some substance – but it is not really my problem…

Originally posted by brilab45You know, when it comes down to it....we do what we have to. I feel my hammer or hatchette will do more than a gun in the dark. Plus my dogs.

I will not be getting that close to anyone in the dark I assure you. As for tasers and such; those are for law enforcement since they are for arresting and punishing criminals. I am for a more definitive result – reducing a threat to zero and that is dead.

Besides, a dead man can’t litigate or tell his sob story about how he is misunderstood and had no choice but to terrorize citizens and take their things. Again, thankfully Missouri has absolved a person who is protecting himself from a home invasion, car-jacking, or even himself or another with the no-retreat clause from any civil liability from his victims.

The law here reads that the threat to one’s person is the act of unauthorized presence or entry… The State would have to prove you didn’t feel threatened which is a pretty hard burden.

To the original topic 1911; always have always will...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

lol... yeah it wasn't the most comfortable set up ever, but at the time it was the only gun I had... I don't like wearing a jacket all the time... I tried the inside the pants holster but it just felt way too big... so the ankle was pretty much the only other option for good conceilability... with a calf strap it's really not that bad of an option..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
H&K USPC .45 for my daily carry

I wish the P30LEM was a better CC gun but it is not.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Just to throw out this thought...

the worse CCW I ever shot was this old S&W model 19...
little stubby 2 inch barrel shooting .357 silvertips...
it was damn hard to keep that tiny rounded grip in your hand and it twisted something awful....

to much load to little gun....

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I read a really informative essay by a guy on the open carry forums I frequent, and decided to come back to post what I feel is the most important information I learned from that essay.

The 5-Stages-of-Violent-Crime is an internationally recognized system developed by Marc MacYoung which is utilized by police, military, firearms and self-defense instructors. The system works to outline the process that a criminal works thru before the attack even happens.

The first 3 stages are where effective self-defense awareness training can get you out of trouble. These 3 stages are the setup.

www.self-defense-mind-body-spirit.com...

Reading more and more about the 5 stages and the theoretical crime triangle, and then moving on to some pistol combat theory books, I've decided to open carry from now on. I know not everyone can, but if you can, you really should in my opinion. Doesn't matter what you carry as long as you carry, and carry open.
I really think it makes everyone safer. And I have had several police officers in my home state of Kentucky, tell me in public that they like it when people open carry. It gives the correct type of information directly to bad guys wherever you are.

The number one thing and only thing you should ever give a bad guy, is the knowledge that any attempt he is considering, will probably cost him too much personally to be worthwhile. Directly inform him that the risk reward of the situation is not worth his time, and he will move on.

It has happened to me personally already. After reading this information and the essay I started carrying, and came into a situation where the gun on my hip repelled two would be attackers even more than my 70 pound dog. Dog + Gun = Too much risk.

Just something for you to consider.

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

edit on 9-6-2011 by Crakeur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The statistics are overwhelming of harm against your own folks.

Get a little wee drunk....pull out the gun.

Get a little pissed off.....pull out the gun.

Get a little road rage......pull out the gun.

I'm rightfully scared of you folks that think gun ownership makes you a man.

Give me a crossbow or let me use my explosive weapons military experience too scare you off.

Guns are for scarred pussies that can't aim. Punks with guns is like mixing meth with testosterone. You can't handle it!!!

Guns don't make you man or make you safer. There are many other alternatives that can make you safe and not erroneously harm another human being. IE...stun guns, bear repellant, loud sirens, etc., etc.

A gun in the country is necessary. A gun in the city is suicide.

This is the most sense I've read in this thread, good on you mate. I'm ex-military myself and like any well trained infantryman, I share your views. That said, in my country we can't own proper guns anyway (well you can get a shotgun license if you're squeaky clean) and I for one am grateful for that. After all, it's way more satisfying to beat a person half to death with your bare hands than it is to shoot them. Trust me, I'm Scottish.

Rev

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by entityofwar

Originally posted by deesul69
reply to post by brilab45

I disagree. Can you please link the source of your statistics?

If confronted by an attacker with a gun, defending yourself with a gun is definitely necessary.

Before I had a family, or if I was alone, sure fighting or running are way better options than possibly taking somebody's life. But I have a family to defend, and if a criminal decides they are going to attack me or my family, well, they've made their choice and there are consequences. I've heard stories of whacko's on drugs that tasers do not work on. I would not bet my family's safety on any other method. I can handle my own, but wouldn't chance fighting.

There is a lot of attacks that end in the criminal being arrested because the victim drew their weapon and the criminal gave up. Somebody does not always have to die.

I'm tough without a gun. The gun is my constitutional right. thankfully, I've never had to use one on a human being, and hope to god I never do. But I'd rather be prepared than not.

I respect your opinion, but completely disagree with it.

Nobody can resist a taser, doesn't matter what type of drugs they are on. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, taser don't
stop people just by causing them extreme pain, the electricity causes the muscles to contract making it impossible to move. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, you probably heard that from a non-reliable source. Though I think a knife is better than a gun. Most confrontations occur in very short ranges, and knifes can be used straight away,
pistols have to have they're safety turned off and sometimes loaded/cocked this can take precious seconds.

See I think you are making assumptions here without understanding the criminal mind. That's why the 5 stages and understanding them are important.
In a police confrontation with a criminal, the situation is already altered. Stage 1 and 2 are skipped entirely. The criminal has decided when he realizes that the police have an interest in him, how far he is willing to go to avoid capture.

You have to think as a civilian. You are being viewed as prey. You have to display characteristics that make you too risky a target, or any target in your vicinity.

Stage 2 is when the criminal is preparing. That's when a knife isn't going to help you. If you want to randomly pull out a knife when you feel threatened by someone 10 -20 feet away be my guest. I don't think it will go well for you though in the long run. Open carrying a pistol in this instance, gives the bad guy all the information he needs. He has decide if he can take that gun away from you and use it to his own advantage, or if the gun itself is enough of a prize to attempt to steal it from you and be off. Of course stage 5 after the bad guy has taken you gun, is probably a really bad place to be in, and I'm sure it's happened before. Shot with your own gun by the guy who just stole it from you. But again, life is full of risk. If you want to be free of risk, don't live.

And I'd like to see the source for those statistics that prove 100% that gun owners are just going to end up hurting or being hurt by their own family.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Don't Edit Out Mod Edits!!!!
edit on 6/9/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
While we're discussing it, what's everybody's opinion on a backup gun, or carrying extra ammo? Overkill?

I think carrying a backup gun is a bit over the top, but may be a good Idea if you know you're going to be in a high crime area.

Extra mags or ammo is always a good Idea, though. Instead of adding more to my belt and carrying a mag holder, I usually just throw an extra mag in my pocket. That way I have 14 in the gun and 13 on reserve. If I can't handle a situation with 27 rounds of .45acp, I'm really in trouble!!

What do you guys think?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

When I carry my Ruger SR9 I carry 86 rounds altogether. 1 round in the chamber 17 in the magazine, plus 4 more 17 round magazines.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Wow!! Where do you fit the extra 4 mags? Pocket or pouch? Either way, that's a lot of weight. You don't get tired of lugging all of that around?

I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry, and be prepared for anything.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

It's really not a lot of weight. I carry 2 on a belt pouch and 2 in my backpack.

It's really not that big of a deal. 9mm rounds aren't that heavy.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Might as well mention ammo, too. I usually carry Winchester PDX1. I also have some golden sabers, but leave them in the 3rd loaded mag at home.

For the 9mm, I keep the PDX1's ready to go, a second mag with Hydra shocks and another mag with Hornady critical defense. I usually keep the mag with critical defense loaded in the winter, so they don't get plugged up with heavy clothing.

My first choice is the PDX1's. They pass all testing with flying colors, and are the same projectile in the Ranger T line of ammo, which is highly regarded. Plus, supposedly they'll go through glass, light sheet metal without much of a problem, and still expand. I can't remember where I read it, but they also will go through drywall without getting plugged, and expand reliably in ballistic gel.

Obviously, shot placement is more important than type of ammo, but every advantage helps.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

True, but that's definitely a lot of em. Gotta be a pound and a half. Probably don't even notice the two in the backpack.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I carry a Magnum and an UZI. When I was in high school, I usually carried a bazooka or a 30 odd 6 - plus a few lighter pistols.
We had gang problems. Today I sometimes carry a grenade launcher if Im near a section of town that is known for its seediness.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I don't really feel it that much.

But I carry a lot of weight fairly regularly so I guess I'm just used to it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join