It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird Happenings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I hope this is in the right forum, I can't find a place that deals strictly with sleep phenomenons, but it is 2am so I may have missed it.

Anyhow, this has been happening for some time now. I've heard of sleep paralysis and I'm guessing this is what's going on, but there are a few things going on that I'm not so sure of.

To start with on various nights I "wake up" and cannot move. At all, not my head, my body, eyes, toes, nothing. At these times I'm seemingly aware of everything going on around me. I can feel if it's hot or cold. I can hear the TV if it's on. I can see my lamp ect. This only happens however if I'm laying on my left side with my back facing the door to my room. I know it sounds strange but not once have I had this experience while facing my doorway.

While I'm laying there screaming at myself in my head to move, which I do every single time even though I know it's not going to help, I can "hear" "people" being me whispering, or talking very low with a strong hissing accent. I'm not sure if I hear this with my ears, or if it's in my head. I also "see", as if it's projected in my head, my bedroom door opened. I never sleep with my door open. It makes me nervous so I close it always. I'm not sure if that's why I always think of it or what.

Usually I drift back to sleep and wake up the next morning with a start, like waking up from a bad dream, with only the memory of laying in bed not being able to move. A few times I've come out of it still awake and turned over to an empty room. One of these times I think I had missing time, but it's too hard to tell if that was real or if I drifted back to sleep at some point. It didn't feel like I slept. Every time it happens though I sleep until the afternoon as if I'd stayed awake all night.

Just thought I'd post this and see other people opinions on it. It's quite scary. I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Scary but perfectly "normal", perhaps not common.

Sleep paralysis

also known as

Old Hag

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Why are you asking here and not asking your doctor? If you wake up and can't move that sounds like there is definetly something going on with your body that could be very serious and needs to be dealt with immediately.

Forget worrying about ghosts and goblins as the cause and rely on medical science. It's an obvious problem and i'm sure there's an obvious solution for it once you get examined by a professional.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Why are you asking here and not asking your doctor? If you wake up and can't move that sounds like there is definetly something going on with your body that could be very serious and needs to be dealt with immediately.

lol Its not even necessary. Its just sleep paralysis. I've had it almost every morning for the past six years and a few other people in my family have it. Most people experience it at least once in their lives.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by xxgehenna

I can relate. Yeah, everyone wants to immediately jump to "old hag syndrome" (responding to previous poster, and many others who tend to post that as a knee jerk rection to anything like this) I don't think that just because multiple people have experienced it, that means it has a label and therefore means nothing and is not worth investigating or soliciting opinions about.

So, OP, I can relate to your experience. When I was growing up, my Dad was in the military and as such, we moved a lot. I remember many times, waking up and hearing whispering or "hissing" voices - when I analyze my experience, it seems more like a bunch of people talking all at once - like what you hear when there is an event going on outside, but you can't make out individual voices. I don't recall being in a particular position (left side, right side, facing head or foot of bed) when it happened, but I was not paying much attention to that at the time. I have since had other experiences where I felt I could not move, which seem to be dream paralysis episodes, but I would not personally draw a connection to the whispering/hissing voices state with the dream paralysis state.

That's my 2 cents. I hope others reply to this thread and don't just bash it.

Gwynnhwyfar

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Scary but perfectly "normal", perhaps not common.

Sleep paralysis

also known as

Old Hag

Thanks for the links. Ill definitely read up.

Forget worrying about ghosts and goblins as the cause and rely on medical science. It's an obvious problem and i'm sure there's an obvious solution for it once you get examined by a professional.

Because I've heard of sleep paralysis. I can't remember ever hearing about it only happening in certain sleep positions and repetitive imagery. I've never heard of sleep paralysis hurting anyone so I haven't been worried about being injured or anything, I'm more worried about whether something is going on mentally. I was really just asking for information, similar experiences, opinions and what not. When it first started happening I intended to go to the doctor. Now it's become somewhat "normal".

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

lol Its not even necessary. Its just sleep paralysis. I've had it almost every morning for the past six years and a few other people in my family have it. Most people experience it at least once in their lives.

If your not worried about it than why are you making a post about it?

Trust me that it is not a normal thing to be paralyzed. There is definetly something out of whack with your body if it's happening that often and it may be a sign of something worse coming so you really should get it checked out.

Normal people do not wake up paralyzed.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Something else for all you "it's just" old hag/sleep paralysis folks to consider... Just because multiple people have had a similar experience and somebody has come up with a label for it, does that mean it should be thrown out with no further thought?

If you have experienced this, one or many times, doesn't that lend more credence to the idea that there is some purpose behind the experience? Are you actually content to say, "oh yeah, been there done that" and aren't any more curious why it happened, what caused it?

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen

If your not worried about it than why are you making a post about it?

Trust me that it is not a normal thing to be paralyzed. There is definetly something out of whack with your body if it's happening that often and it may be a sign of something worse coming so you really should get it checked out.

Normal people do not wake up paralyzed.

Point taken. I never said that I wasn't worried about it. I said that I wasn't worried about being injured from it, physically that is, but that I was worried it may be something mentally wrong. I put my reasoning for posting this at the end of my last reply.

Also if im correct doctors haven't found a reason for sleep paralysis. So going to a doctor for sleep paralysis would be pointless. I could be wrong about that. But like I said point taken. Ill try and get to a doctor about it, but my funds are very limited.
edit on 4-6-2011 by xxgehenna because: To add something.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar

I can relate. Yeah, everyone wants to immediately jump to "old hag syndrome" (responding to previous poster, and many others who tend to post that as a knee jerk rection to anything like this) I don't think that just because multiple people have experienced it, that means it has a label and therefore means nothing and is not worth investigating or soliciting opinions about.

So, OP, I can relate to your experience. When I was growing up, my Dad was in the military and as such, we moved a lot. I remember many times, waking up and hearing whispering or "hissing" voices - when I analyze my experience, it seems more like a bunch of people talking all at once - like what you hear when there is an event going on outside, but you can't make out individual voices. I don't recall being in a particular position (left side, right side, facing head or foot of bed) when it happened, but I was not paying much attention to that at the time. I have since had other experiences where I felt I could not move, which seem to be dream paralysis episodes, but I would not personally draw a connection to the whispering/hissing voices state with the dream paralysis state.

That's my 2 cents. I hope others reply to this thread and don't just bash it.

Gwynnhwyfar

You described the "voices" perfectly. The only reason I notice that it happens on my left side if because normally I sleep on my right. So waking up not being able to move while facing the wall rather that the door and TV is surprising in its self. Like waking and not remembering where you are for a few seconds.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well best of luck to you and hope you get it taken care of. My wife works at a hospital and i'll have her ask one of the doctors what their opinion is in case you can't get in.

Never know what they might say.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Well best of luck to you and hope you get it taken care of. My wife works at a hospital and i'll have her ask one of the doctors what their opinion is in case you can't get in.

Never know what they might say.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
sleep paralysis. I have experienced it. And yes, there is always the feeling of "terror". You would be wanting to move at least a finger so that you can wake up.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

So this is spontaneously happening to you in your own home, where you have resided for some continuous length of time? You aren't in the process of relocating? For me, I was a kid when it happened, and it always seemed related to my family moving. But that's me. I have only had it happen as a child, and I can't really pick out any reason. I don't recall feeling frozen in place when it has happened - I just remember hearing the whispering/hissing of the indecipherable voices. My few sleep paralysis moments have occurred under entirely different circumstances, so far.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

So this is spontaneously happening to you in your own home, where you have resided for some continuous length of time? You aren't in the process of relocating? For me, I was a kid when it happened, and it always seemed related to my family moving. But that's me. I have only had it happen as a child, and I can't really pick out any reason. I don't recall feeling frozen in place when it has happened - I just remember hearing the whispering/hissing of the indecipherable voices. My few sleep paralysis moments have occurred under entirely different circumstances, so far.

Yes. I've been living here for most of my life. Fairly happily. I read that stress is a suspected cause and I do tend to be stressed over a lot of different things. I haven't noticed that I'm overly stressed when this occurs, but I do stay stressed a lot so I probably wouldn't have.

Narcolepsy was another. I have always had a disrupted sleep pattern. It's hard for me to sleep at night, like now it's 5am here and I'm just now feeling sleepy. I call it insomnia but apparently they can be confused with each other. Maybe there's a clue in that.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Something else for all you "it's just" old hag/sleep paralysis folks to consider... Just because multiple people have had a similar experience and somebody has come up with a label for it, does that mean it should be thrown out with no further thought?

If you have experienced this, one or many times, doesn't that lend more credence to the idea that there is some purpose behind the experience? Are you actually content to say, "oh yeah, been there done that" and aren't any more curious why it happened, what caused it?

Its about as supernatural as dreaming. Sleep paralysis is a state where you're conscious but your brain is still partially in sleep mode. Your brain releases a hormone that paralyzes you every night while you sleep to prevent you from acting out your dreams. The things people see and hear during these experiences are nothing more than hallucinations. I know this because I've had bouts of sleep paralysis where I've "seen" this old hag while in the presence of friends who are wide awake. They obviously didn't see anything abnormal while it happened.

Also, I've had an experience where I woke up with sleep paralysis and heard one of my favorite songs playing on the radio. My radio wasn't even turned on but it sounded very real at the time. Tell me- what kind of spiritual significance does that have?

new topics

top topics

join