It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give your life for a fellow human being - serious question needing serious answer.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Actually im sitting watching saving private Ryan and i was wondering about something. There is a philosophy in the armed forces that no man gets let behind. Soldiers risk their own lives to save a man down, no matter if it means being seriously injured or death. It got me thinking about every day life, could you honestly say that if put in a situation were your life as well as those around you (some are complete strangers) are in grave danger of death, guns are going off (or whichever scenario), the person next to you is taken down, would YOU go back for them, even if it meant your own death (possibly)

i was wondering because it got m thinking about something that happened here a while back, a teenage girl was attacked and raped (in public, well dragged by the gallery) and no-one and i mean NO-ONE would help her. i mean how could people just walk by and do nothing!

so i reiterate my question, and i want you to actually sit and think Honestly about this, i dont want bravado posts of what you say you would do etc etc i want the truth. If in a situation were a fellow human being (no matter race,creed nor color) was in trouble, they would die if you didn't intervene, but you know if you go to them to save/help them it could mean your own death, would YOU go back for them

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

The military and civilian life are two different things.

When the military say 'no man is left behind" is bull; WW2 proved that....hundreds of thousands got left behind as did those in Vietnam. In the military, you really have to put your trust in the man next to you and hope he does'nt let you down. Sometimes they do let you down.

I would give my life for my children; that's a given.

If I was confident enough to pull someone to safety from a life/death suituation, yep, why not.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
That's part of my soon to be job description.

I am certainly the type of person that would die so that others may live. But anyone who's ever been in such a position and survived knows that the option is "Plan Z".

You can't save everyone. So I wouldn't just step up for anyone. My country, the man to my left and my right, my family, and my friends for sure.

Edit:

That philosophy is most certainly true in the military. Sometimes circumstances prevent that. But we eventually account for everyone.

That said, there are thousands buried in France, Japan, the Philippines, Vietnam, and other theaters of war where it was a choice between burying them there or watching their body rot. Sometimes you can't bring them back. And sometimes it just isn't smart to create more dead bodies to bring a soldier or Marine back.

But they sure as hell try their hardest, and many certainly do commit their lives to that principle.
edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I would give up my life for my son in hope that he would do the same for his child.

(To qualify, I only have one child).

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
It's a mind set you get in. I don't know if it comes from military training, love of life, or just plain ignorance, but most people I associate with would put someone else's life before theirs. A good friend of mine is in charge of the rescue squad and does (or at least did) that on a regular basis. All of the situations I have been in were not life threatening to anyone so I cannot say for sure, but I was dumb enough not to even think about the consequences until a bit later in the ones I have had. Most people would react and do the right thing. I don't have an answer to the dilemma you described. that might be a cultural thing, around here, the guy dragging the girl might not be seen or heard from again. Lots of swampy areas here. Rednecks are honorable folks.

and ProjectVXN is the kind of guy who has a cape on under his suit. So I am quite sure he is that kind of guy.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
From what I believe everyone would like to think that if they were put in a situation where they had to put themselves in danger to save someone then they would do it. I think that it depends on the situation and whether at that very moment things just click and you throw yourself into the task.

I've never been in that situation myself, and to be honest I don't know what my reaction would be until it was actually happening. I like to think that I would help in any way I could.

Yeah, watching Saving private Ryan here too

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
No bravado, risking ones life is a very serious thing. Having done it before I have to say you usually dont have time to really think differently. I have run into a burning building, I have jumped off a pier, a boat and into a pool for people who cant swim. But I have to say some people are just like that, my Dad was the same way and he instilled it in me. I'm that guy though, I'll stop at a traffic accident, I'll help up people who fall, I will intercede at my own risk if someone is being harmed. It's just built into some of us, I cant pass someone up like that, but I have seen hundreds that will.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I did the whole military thing and yes I would have done my best to cover my pals backs you still have to think about self preservation as there is no point in having 2 men down instead of one.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Family and friends, of course I would, id do everything I could. Doing nothing would not only mean the loss of someone very close but the regret and endless thinking of "what if," replaying the situation over and over again in my mind, knowing I could of done something which would be hard to live with.
I would risk my life for anyone, a complete stranger, even an enemy.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

If it was a close friend or family member, then i would definitely say yes.
If it was Obama or a complete strange i know nothing about then i might have to give a different answer.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
thanks to those that have answered. if it came to my kids i would throw myself in front of and at anything to ensure their safety. however....i could not honestly say if i would risk myself for another, as someone said above it would depend on the situation and how you as a person analyze it, i often hear people boasting about how they would kick this persons butt, or run down a a criminal, or put themselves in front of another to take a bullet (talking civvy here, military would have maybe a diff perspective due to training etc). But in reality tho would they actually have the *balls* to do it or would the fear take over?.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yes. I always have stood in the gap for those who can't defend themselves. I know someone who died helping someone else in a street fight. You don't expect to die but stuff happens.

Those who stand back are more dead than anyone who steps in to help and is killed.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Personally, I don't think anyone truly knows how they would react in a certain situation outside of a military type senario. There are so many variant factors involved and often too little time to decide. Instincts take over and self preservation rules.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Nope.

edit on 3-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

If it was a close friend or family member, then i would definitely say yes.
If it was Obama or a complete strange i know nothing about then i might have to give a different answer.

I guess people would let someone die (eg obama) who are responsible for countless deaths, I understand that.
Would anyone here risk there life for someone with many deaths on their (somewhat) conscience?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

I chuckled at your Obama comment. If he fell off a cliff and I knew I could save him.......I'd have to think about it and I would take my bloody time at it too. Mate, I'd make him beg and I'd expect he sign a legal and highly profitable business agreement before I move him an inch.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
But in reality tho would they actually have the *balls* to do it or would the fear take over?.

I think that’s a little harsh of a way to put it but you are absolutely correct, one doesn’t know how they will react until they are in the scenario. The only thing I can't stand is these idiots who criticize people for lack of action. You weren’t there, you weren’t getting shot at, you weren’t hearing screams and smelling gunpowder and blood in the air. BOTTOM LINE - you don’t know what you would have done. You know what you would have liked to do, what would have been ideal, but you might have just taken cover. And that is FINE, I hate it when I see people who weren’t there calling out military, cops or anyone else for taking cover and not "doing" something. Sometimes that’s all you can do, sometimes you freeze and sometimes that’s all there is to be done.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
Personally, I don't think anyone truly knows how they would react in a certain situation outside of a military type senario. There are so many variant factors involved and often too little time to decide. Instincts take over and self preservation rules.

Yes that's true, luckily, I haven't been in a death defying situation where peoples lives are at risk. (although I did once save a friends life, pulling her from the middle of a tram line from the close, oncoming tram!)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
God that movie makes me cry..

Anyway to your question. I would for my kids, family or loved one. If it were a stranger I guess it depends on the situation. I know I won't just sit there and let someone be hurt, I would feel the need to help them that is just how I am and if I get hurt or killed in the process well then I guess that was how it was suppose to end for me.

I have been in a situation where I was being abused in public by my bf at the time and nobody did a thing. They all stood there as I tried to get away from him. This was infront of a Walgreens while I tried to call 911. So I know what it is like to yell for help and have nobody come help you. I could never do the same to another. It is the worst feeling in the world. I never felt so alone.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I can only say that it depends. Who, What, When, Where, Why? There are many situations where, in today's litigious society, I would not intervene. I would call 911 for almost anyone(ok not owebowmore), but unless I or my children are directly threatened I likely would not do much more. Just one example. I was in a coffee shop a few weeks ago. That coffee shop was robbed while I was there. I was armed, but I did not intervene. The trouble I likely would have faced was not worth the money the shop lost, imo anyway. Now, if he had started shooting, different story. I never felt DIRECTLY threatened. Maybe I could have shot him and got away with it. Honestly though, my pistol would likely have been confiscated as "evidence" and either he(if he lived) or his family would likely have sued me. Sorry, not worth it in that situation. Again, if he had opened fire different story.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join