It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give your life for a fellow human being - serious question needing serious answer.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I can not see risking my life for anyone but a family member or close friend. I, as a father and husband, am a pivotal person in my family (as my wife is to me), and removing myself from my families lives and livlihood for some stranger that will probably NOT live their life to the fullest seems like a waste.

Back in '96-2000, I would have spoken differently, for I was in a different world back then (USMC).

My family members are WAY more important to me than any other persons life...... period.

HOWEVER..... if I saw someone being rapped.... would I sit and ignore it? Absolutely not! I am well armed (at all times) and feel confident about difusing a situation like that without losing my life.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I guess it depends on the situation. Regardless of situation though, I would give my life to save my children. Other that, I wouldn't run out in gunfire to save someone (other than my kids) I would try to save someone drowning (if water's not freezing or beyond my swimming capabilities), I would intervene in an abuse/ rape incident, would probably go in a burning building to save someone ( if not fully engulfed). There are many scenarios and many different outcomes or variables that would affect ones decision to help or intervene. I just look at it this way, what good would it do to save someones parent if the outcome led to my child losing a parent? So I guess it would depend on the particular situation at hand as to whether I'd intervene. You gotta play the cards you're dealt.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

Hmmm, don't need to think about this, I almost did on a number of occasions. I was in rescue and fire for many years as well as more, including a pilot. When the chips were down, I put myself many times in peril for others. I even crash landed my airplane to save a fellow pilot, only thought was to save a friend. None of this is a big deal and not as dramatic as one might think, it is just part of being a type of person that will do this, no thinking needed. Of course, now I have ongoing pain in my old age from those injuries which is crap.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well that is a hard question I mean if it was some one that was old and had already lived life then I would have to say no maybe I sure as heck would not die for some murder or rapists and so on I would lay my life down for my daughters and my husband with out a doubt (and maybe others if I was sure that they deserved it and would live life right and that I would not die in vain.)

Now if I saw some one being done the way you just said then I would not just walk away but I am sure that I would walk away alive as would the victim but not the wrong doer because I would not go empty handed if you know what I mean.

I am no dare devil but I do not want to see any one or any thing harmed no matter nothing is worth taking some ones life unless there is no way around it and it is to save some ones life or your own.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia

so i reiterate my question, and i want you to actually sit and think Honestly about this, i dont want bravado posts of what you say you would do etc etc i want the truth. If in a situation were a fellow human being (no matter race,creed nor color) was in trouble, they would die if you didn't intervene, but you know if you go to them to save/help them it could mean your own death, would YOU go back for them

Yes, I would, assuming that I was at all capable of doing any good in the situation! (I mean by that, that your post is inspired by watching a film about a military situation, and as a 155 cm tall, 45 kg woman I would possibly not achieve anything. Likewise, I can't swim (I was on a ferry with my boyfriend and my 5 year old son years ago, and I said to my son "Don't fall into the harbour, I would have to jump in to rescue you" and my boyfriend pointed out that I would do more harm than good by that, as a 5 year old boy would be more buoyant than a panicky 28 year old woman! (Easier for the ferry staff to rescue, he meant.)
So, if there was the remotest chance of being of help to the person needing rescue, yes I would, without hesitation.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

I agree with the others here. You can never say how that will go down and how you'll react until it happens. That one sentiment sums it all up. Without having lived the choice and made it, it's all speculation.

I've faced that situation twice in my life. The first time I didn't appreciate the importance and gravity of the choices I had to make at the time, and someone died. That is something I'll carry for life. The second time, I joined a cult and played the game to get someone OUT...knowing full well I may not make it out myself by doing it. No bravado here..and to tell the whole story, I'm far from a good guy in it, beyond the fact the person I set out to save did board a plane back to her family. I watched her get on it.

The top post here asked what we'd each do. Finding the answer to that question changed my life at the ripe old age of 18 and it still effects decisions I make today almost 20 years later. Was it worth it? I don't know....the person I did it for didn't live long after that and the price it cost to get her clear and free was a very high one for more than just me. Would I do it again? Yes. Without Hesitation, Yes.

Why? .... I had the first experience...and I don't ever want another to live with and see in my dreams and my nightmares. Doing something, whatever the cost, is better than living with the fact I did nothing.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Id assume that when I do have kids that Id give my life for them... but aside from that, all depends on who, when, why etc.

Although really, Im not sure what good Id be able to do in any life threatening situations, Im small, female (sorry feminism), and I believe that if I were pitted against a three-legged gerbil in a fight, the gerbil would win, paws down.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
My answer would totally depend on the situation.

If I knew for a fact, that by giving my life, I could save several people that I cared for, yes I would definitely give my life.

If the situation was to give my life for someone I don't know, no I wouldn't. Not trying to sound callous, but why is their life more important than mine? That doesn't mean I wouldn't put myself in danger to save someone I don't know, I would for sure. But if there was a high chance of death, no I wouldn't risk it to save someone I don't know.

But for family, close friends, that sort of thing, I would probably do anything in my power, including giving my own life, or taking someone elses, to save them.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
EDIT:

Wow! First time ever making a double post! Don't know how that happened. Mods please delete!
edit on 6-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join