It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off duty cop breaks into home because he smelled cigarette smoke

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm 14 and I'm not gonna lie, If a cop came in my house like that. I'm pretty sure we have a gun somewhere around here if not that kitchen knife will do. I'll hurt him pretty bad and I'm pretty sure my state still has it's rights. So It's legal. That was out of line, realistically I'm surprised the kid's family didn't shoot him or hit him with baseball bat.

Damn., damn, damn. It's my life and If I want to smoke then so help me god, I'm gonna have a smoke!
edit on 2-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I guess technically the term 'cop' could be used to describe that person, even if he is off duty, just like a person who is a janitor, judge, or a mechanic would call themselves that even if they're not working. But that doesn't mean they can mop floors wherever they want, convict people of crimes and sentence them outside of the court room, or fix cars in the middle of an intersection.

Exactly my point, and thank you for saying it better than I could.

Frankly, though, even if the cop is on duty, if he is not carrying a police ID, I am not treating him like a cop.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
lawn ornament shot dead by cops
Concrete 'alligator' looked real and was partly hidden among weeds, police spokesman say.
today.msnbc.msn.com...

A Barney fife moment

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I feel bad for the family this happened to. Unless Officer OffDuty was at a get-together at someone else's place he probably lives right down the street.

I've read what you ATS Tough Guys would do (yeah, right) if it was You but in reality this family LIVES there, might have for a while, maybe they have no intention on moving. Adults are well aware that life can become suck if the LEO's in your town feel they have a reason to dislike you. They can make life hell. They can make your 16 yr old boys life hell.

Mom & Dad are probably aware if they sue and win it just drives up taxes too, because Officer OffDuty won't have to flip the bill. It a no-win situation.

-------

Vitchilo I'm a big fan of your posts. I mention in a friendly way to please look up the definition of "paedophile", you'll see that word has nothing to do with a sixteen yr old person. It's way creepier.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
this will probably be covered up..he will be given a repromand ..in my opinion this man stopped being a police officer as soon as he picked up a bottle..he should have been arrested for public intoxication and breaking and entering..any other citizen would have been arrested..the cop club will cover for their own

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
The guy should certainly be fired and charges pressed against him. What he should have done is called the cops instead of pursuing the kid. Irony is a bitch.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
All I would have heard is Im a drunk child molester chasing your child and trying to break into your home to get him. Followed shortly by a loud boom and a muzzle flash. I'll find out who you are by the autopsy.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You don't have the right to go around damaging people's property when you're off duty, don't have a warrant, and can't even show proper i.d.

Another downside to this is that there is yet another young man in the world who will probably never trust cops.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatedAxion
You don't have the right to go around damaging people's property when you're off duty, don't have a warrant, and can't even show proper i.d.

Another downside to this is that there is yet another young man in the world who will probably never trust cops.

Would you trust a cop after that ? Hell no! Be realistic, I understand he was doing wrong but there's a limit.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I seriously hope you were kidding about giving the family his pension? I'm sure the family is so distraught over this. Surely it will be years before they can move on with their life. And that article sounds awfully one sided.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Now isn't living in America the first place people want to live in order to escape their oppressive countries, only to find that the law enforcement *workers are becoming "outlaws" themselves? I wonder how the immigrants, illegal or not, feel about their privacy and freedom being taken away, drip by drip, by people who are supposed to "keep the peace" and "uphold the law", *not scare people. How about if there is an elderly person in that place and suffers from a heart attack and dies? Surely, the copper would and should be charged for the death. So why not be charged for breaking into someone's home? God!
edit on 2011-6-03 by pikypiky because: To add more "food for thought".

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
I am wondering if I interpreted the article correctly. Did the cop begin chasing the boys while in his bathing suit? lulz...If some guy wearing a bathing suit started yelling at me, then began to chase me, I would be thinking something other than, this guy's a police officer. I would be thinking, this psycho is gonna put me in his van and take me somewhere no one would ever find me.

I mean seriously, normal people would be relaxing when off-duty, but this guy is drunk and half naked chasing teenagers and punching glass windows despite the fact that glass > fist...Some of these cops need psychological help, or they need to lay off the steroids.

There's a video on the link. It's great. Screw reading

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by capod2t
This guy abused power by "acting" under authority while under the influence of alcohol, and violating the family's 4th Amendment Rights by making (would appears to be) an unauthorized entry into their home (not to mention damaging property). I am not sure the FOP could protect him, especially if the family pursues a formal complaint.

If the kid and his friends were vandalizing his house, he should have called the cops himself.
edit on 2-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

We should all try to check for updates on this story. The family is pressing charges against the cop and he's also a neighbor, so they'll definitely know if he's ever suspended and/or fired

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

Wrong.

A police officer is a police officer on-duty and off.

He has the authority to enforce the law 24-7, but only after identifting himself as an officer.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
An off duty cop trying to arrest somebody, that is rich. An off duty cop is just a regular guy, if he thinks he deserves some special authority and treatment when he's not working, then he is too stupid to be given a badge and a gun in the first place.

Put yourself in that family's shoes, you're sitting at home and it's just a normal day, then out of nowhere a drunk man in a bathing suit punches through your glass door, breaks through it, and tries to arrest your son claiming that he is a cop. Would any of you say "OK officer!
Thanks for protecting and serving the community!". I think the majority of people would stab/shoot that potential homeless pedophile, not let him arrest your son. He's lucky he escaped with the injuries he stupidly inflicted on himself, if only he would have shot himself so we wouldn't have to deal with him again.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree that an off duty cop is similar to an off duty security officer. Leave work at work. Military folks are in the military 24/7, it's definitely not the same for a cop. Although, offduty they still can make arrests & carry a gun doesn't mean they should, unless it's absolutely needed, which in this case it isn't

I know my local cops have to take a mental test to make sure they're not crazy. I wonder if this cop ever took one? Is he the only one there whose crazy or is there more? What's doin in the police dept?
edit on 3-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

This will probably be removed. . .but I'm curious about your avatar. It says the truth is better left unseen, yet your name is truthseeker? Just curious.

In all seriousness, though. . .there needs to be a better system on which to handle cops such as this. Most of them are hired by the city, so complaining won't do. . .what are we supposed to do? If we protest outside HQ, we're arrested if it's not deemed "peaceful", or there will be some other legal hangup they'll use. I guess we should just protest anyway, write thousands of letters from mayors to FBI. Yet that's like complaining to a bully that he's bothering you.

Somewhere there's a hidden. . .something. It's just not apparent as it might be in other countries. We just need to find it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Reply to post by Swills

Wrong. An off duty officer has authority, of he identifies himself as such.

They also have to follow the same rules on duty or off.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Latest update on this story...

Apparently the cop was placed in handcuffs and was under arrest until he announced he was a Houston police officer, at which point both the handcuffs and charges disappeared.

Ain't that awesome to be a cop?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by captaintyinknots

Wrong.

A police officer is a police officer on-duty and off.

He has the authority to enforce the law 24-7, but only after identifting himself as an officer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join