It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off duty cop breaks into home because he smelled cigarette smoke

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Cops and alcohol mix just fine. Cops and society are what don't mix.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well I'm glad the family did not resist, they might've gone to jail.

Now that the 4th amendment is pretty much dead.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This guy abused power by "acting" under authority while under the influence of alcohol, and violating the family's 4th Amendment Rights by making (would appears to be) an unauthorized entry into their home (not to mention damaging property). I am not sure the FOP could protect him, especially if the family pursues a formal complaint.

If the kid and his friends were vandalizing his house, he should have called the cops himself.
edit on 2-6-2011 by capod2t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

He apparently thought he was in Indiana instead of Texas Who knows it says he was off duty lol. Anyway all of this over what the cop claims that he thought he smelled cigerette smoke? I know second hand smoke is suppose to be bad for you but isn't this over the top? seriously just another day in paradise for copville. It is becoming quit obvious they have the mentality that they can do anything, to anyone, at anytime. There is no common sense to any of their behavior. They talk about the lizard people. I don't believe in them. If I did I would say you are looking in the wrong places they are walking around with badges.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

No judgment being passed here, Brother, however:

Yeah yeah, the old "you hate cops" deal.

Again, no judgment being passed here.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites Come on!....

Two decades old, and still the beats of the future.

Greatness stands the test of time.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
If marijuana was legal, I wonder how this whole situation would have changed, assuming the guy had a choice between alcohol and marijuana.

He'd have been way to lazy to chase anyone... and the whole incident would have ended with a cop and teens playing video games and eating Doritos together.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Mmmmm.... drunk cop, dressed only in a "bathing suit" (budgie smugglers?) chasing young boys?

Sounds like a bit sexual tension coming to the fore!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Not only that, but the first thing that came to my mind (living in the great state of Colorado), is what would happen if some random guy chased my teenager into my house, then smashed my window and broke down my door reeking of alcohol and wearing only a bathing suit.

Well, if that were the case, there is only one possible outcome, and that is my utilization of the protections offered by my states Castle Doctrine... The Make My Day law. This guy is lucky he wasn't shot dead. Many homes in many places, he would have been.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
All these cops on the nut sure sounds like roid rage to me. Give them a badge, pump them up and add some alcohol and you have near naked maniac chasing kids for smelling like smoke. Unbalanced mentally is all I can think. This one is way out there. Sure sounds like the kind of thing that could happen at one of my family reunions though!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
try that out here

and you learn with lead

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
luckily no one was shot.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
What the hell...

Family claims off-duty officer chased teen into home

"He just kept saying that he was a police officer and he had the right."

I think this feeling most of them have is certainly starting to get noticed. I say keep it up. It will only make change come sooner.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Actually an off duty cop IS a cop even while not in uniform.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
An off duty cop trying to arrest somebody, that is rich. An off duty cop is just a regular guy, if he thinks he deserves some special authority and treatment when he's not working, then he is too stupid to be given a badge and a gun in the first place.

Put yourself in that family's shoes, you're sitting at home and it's just a normal day, then out of nowhere a drunk man in a bathing suit punches through your glass door, breaks through it, and tries to arrest your son claiming that he is a cop. Would any of you say "OK officer!
Thanks for protecting and serving the community!". I think the majority of people would stab/shoot that potential homeless pedophile, not let him arrest your son. He's lucky he escaped with the injuries he stupidly inflicted on himself, if only he would have shot himself so we wouldn't have to deal with him again.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by capod2t

An off-duty cop is not a cop.

Wrong.

But it doesn't give him rights to make entry without a warrant, (hot pursuit on a felon or exigent circumstance excepted). Cigarette smoke does not qualify.

No info on what caused the chase?

I'll say it again. An off duty cop is not a cop. Warrant or no warrant. An off duty cop cannot serve a warrant. An off duty cop, especially one who is drunk, DEFINITELY should not be chasing ANYONE, let alone someone that they did not witness committing a crime.

I dont care what kind of protection cops think they have when they are off duty. They are granted no special rights. This guy would be dead right now, had this been my house.

ETA: I ESPECIALLY will NEVER recognize any special rights of an off-duty cop who does not have police ID on him, such as was the case here. I can run around saying "I'm a cop" all day long. Does that mean everyone should believe me?
edit on 2-6-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-6-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)
i like this and i know that someone breaks in my house especially chasing my kid we have "Make my Day " law here in Colorado if they enter your home and you feel threatened you can kill them without charges... Sad thing is i had 3 guys break in during a home invasion WITH weapons(bats, knife) i couldnt make it to my weapon but took the bat away from one when he hit me 2x and broke him up pretty bad and chased the others into the street well cops show up and arrest me for felony assault since i chased them felony menacing all later dropped but super headache! the judge said if i had simply killed them "we wouldn't be here today" so there will be no next time

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I used to manage a sports bar. I also happen to have a very good mutual respect with the local LEOs (some as personal friends, others as professional courtesy). However, one night an arguement broke out in the bar, pushed outside and became a fight. 2 guys decided to duke it out in the parking lot. A third individual decided to body tackle one of the fighters. A Glock 9 came sliding across the parking lot as he dove through one of the assailants. As it bounced over pits and gravel, the first thing that crossed my mind was someone getting shot by a misfire. I grabbed the gun while a couple of my guys broke up the fight, now 3 persons strong.

When the flying ace got up, he noticed what was missing. He fell twice in the process of stumbling around looking for his weapon. He then came up to me, just as a uniformed Blue/White was pulling into the lot. I had his pistol in hand and he sat his drink down to pull his badge and demand his gun.

I stood my ground and told him flat out he was not getting it back in his condition. The uniform pulled to a stop and as he stepped out, got a full dose of the verbal bashing and threatening that was being poured on by this drunkenmonkey wannabe.

I gave the gun to the uniform, explained the situation and he actually locked the gun in his car. That was the last time I ever saw that drunken idiot again. It turns out he was 3 months out of the Police Academy and by carrying his firearm into a public establishment, off duty, consuming alcohol and engaging in an act of public disturbance...he was let go from the force.

As to the OP...breaking through my door nets a harsh first response. I dont care what you call yourself, you better have good and proper cause before you come through my property or face the consequences.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

"He put his face to the window and then he punched a hole in the window so he can see through it and then he just opened the door," said Matthew Pifer.

Doing something similar at my home would be a fatal mistake.

Of course then I'd get life in the slammer for doing so once it was determined that it was an LEO lapdog.
edit on 2-6-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy

Actually an off duty cop IS a cop even while not in uniform.

No, they arent. I dont care what the law says. A cop without ID is not a cop, and I will treat them as such.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I guess technically the term 'cop' could be used to describe that person, even if he is off duty, just like a person who is a janitor, judge, or a mechanic would call themselves that even if they're not working. But that doesn't mean they can mop floors wherever they want, convict people of crimes and sentence them outside of the court room, or fix cars in the middle of an intersection.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join