It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

When A President Visits a Disaster Site, Work Stops?

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I know some people that live near Joplin that were helping with the rescue and clean up. They said that when the President arrived, all work was halted for a few hours while he was there, even rescue crews. I didn't think this was possibly true, but in a Google search I found this:


The president's visit may have temporarily delayed cleanup efforts for some, but the symbolic effect will remain for a lifetime.

Turley says, "I just want to say thank you for him for helping every body and supporting every body."

Support that President Obama vows will never end.

Even though a number of volunteers had to stop working for a few hours because of the president's visit, they say it's important for Mr. Obama to see the devastation first-hand.


President Obama lands and takes tour of damage

This isn't a slam against Obama. This must be the way it is with any President. And while the article only says volunteers were halted, these friends of mine said everything was halted. Can anyone in Joplin or involved in the clean up corroborate this? 29 people are still missing. His safety and security isn't worth theirs.

/TOA




posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Suddenly it makes sense why he didn't fly back to the US huh? And yes, this is true for all Presidents or leaders during times like this. Even GW Bush who I hate...I understood when he didn't pop right over to a disaster stricken area. The amount of security measures drains any local emergency services even during normal visits, imagine during crises?



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I would have just continued working.
Who would have stopped me? Would he have personally stopped me on camera?
I would have told him to get to work.
Would I be arrested for saying that?
How would that look?



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84
I would have just continued working.
Who would have stopped me? Would he have personally stopped me on camera?
I would have told him to get to work.
Would I be arrested for saying that?
How would that look?


You are exactly right there. That would've been the headline of the century:

"Obama Attempts to Prevent Man From Saving Lives in Joplin." Kiss your 2nd term goodbye.

But I am pretty incensed about this. I never really put together why a president would wait so long to visit a site. I guess it just never crossed my mind that they would dare to prevent the search for possibly living voters...I meant to say people...while they stood there looking all humanitarian for the cameras.

/TOA
edit on 31-5-2011 by The Old American because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American
 


Another interesting (but not so good) headline would be:

"Lost Baby Dies Under Rubble While Obama Makes Workers Stop Working"



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Yes the secret service made everyone stop working It didn't matter if they were rescue workers, homeowners, or civilian volunteers. And to add insult to injury They made those people go to where Obama was walking through those neighborhoods. A lot of People here in Joplin was more than a little upset about that.

Also while he was in Joplin traffic was terrible. alot of streets were closed to traffic making it impossible to get around town. Rangeline road which has been bumper to bumper traffic since the tornado and takes 45 minutes to get from 7th st to 32nd st after the tornado travel time was increased to 2 hours or more while Obama was in town. My sister that lives just N.E. of Joplin couldn't even get into Joplin until after he left Joplin.

I understand it's their job to protect the POTUS But damn shutting down streets until he left, making rescue workers stop working, and making people leave their homes and go down to where he was walking through was not necessary!

the only good things about his visit was he actually acted like he cared about the people in the damaged areas, he did give a nice speech at the memorial service, and instead of pulling Joplin cops for traffic control the Secret service asked the Missouri Highway Patrol to handle traffic control. To bad the Joplin Cops were pulled from rescue/recovery work to protect those WBC nuts that were going to come to Joplin
edit on 31-5-2011 by Mercenary2012 because: (no reason given)



posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012
 


I am truly sorry for the people of Joplin that you had to go through this. I wish I could come up and help y'all out, but I can't at this time. But it disgusts me that the President agreed to let work stop in the rebuilding of the city and the search for the 29 people that are still missing. Again, I am furious. I know it's election season and he needs to look like he's a humanitarian and actually cares, but he should have taken off his coat, rolled up his sleeves. grabbed a shovel and said "let's keep working, people!"

/TOA



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American
 


TOA. there will be plenty of time to Help the people of Joplin, Tuscaloosa, or anywhere that was hit by Tornado's, floods fires this year. Honestly right now the outpouring of support For Joplin is a big shot in the arm for the people here and the amount of donations is overwhelming they are pouring in from all over the country and from other countries. Never in my life did i think anyone would ever hear about the nice little town of Joplin. I'm Just sorry it took an EF-5 to put us back on the map.

I can see why they had the people close to the area the president was going to walk through stop what they were doing so the secret service could half way secure they area. But to stop work in all areas was infuriating. But on the other hand atleast he waited a week before coming here. I know a lot of people were glad he came but a lot of people would have probably chased him out of town if he came sooner than he did.

Again thanks for the kind thoughts for the people of Joplin, it will take a while to rebuild the city so you'll still have a chance to come help out when you can.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Recently in California, Police and Firemen stood on shore and watched a man drown in shoulder deep water, because budget cuts prevented shore-based water rescues. They let a man die in front of their eyes to make a point on the budget. Those cops and firemen should be on trial for murder due to inaction. Same thing for visiting politicians, their safety is not worth stopping rescue efforts. If not murder, then charge the whole entourage with aiding manslaughter.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2012
 


Hopefully I can get up there in the next couple of weeks to help out. Texas isn't that far away. It's about an 8 hour drive. Wishing you and yours well.

/TOA



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2012
reply to post by The Old American
 


TOA. there will be plenty of time to Help the people of Joplin, Tuscaloosa, or anywhere that was hit by Tornado's, floods fires this year. Honestly right now the outpouring of support For Joplin is a big shot in the arm for the people here and the amount of donations is overwhelming they are pouring in from all over the country and from other countries. Never in my life did i think anyone would ever hear about the nice little town of Joplin. I'm Just sorry it took an EF-5 to put us back on the map.

I can see why they had the people close to the area the president was going to walk through stop what they were doing so the secret service could half way secure they area. But to stop work in all areas was infuriating. But on the other hand atleast he waited a week before coming here. I know a lot of people were glad he came but a lot of people would have probably chased him out of town if he came sooner than he did.

Again thanks for the kind thoughts for the people of Joplin, it will take a while to rebuild the city so you'll still have a chance to come help out when you can.


What a sad commentary on America. No one willing to stand up for what's right and dutifully bend over and do what they are told...
The SS should have been told to F off! The local police should have told them to mind thier own business. Stopping rescues??? Outrageous!



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I saw Obama's speech and I was not pleased (no surprise). I got the feeling that he was at a campaign rally rather than the site of a historical disaster. The man simply lacks the CAMPAIGN OFF switch. Give it a rest!!!!! Obama was speaking at a memorial service. Pathetic.

“We’re not going anywhere. The cameras may leave! The spotlight may shift! But we will be with you every step of the way until Joplin is restored and this community is back on its feet! We’re not going anywhere!”- Obama
edit on 1-6-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Isn't this just an indication of Government on a larger scale? When the government shows up, the work stops. Ron Paul was right.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I saw Obama's speech and I was not pleased (no surprise). I got the feeling that he was at a campaign rally rather than the site of a historical disaster. The man simply lacks the CAMPAIGN OFF switch. Give it a rest!!!!!


Campaign mode is the only thing he's good at. So you really have to wonder, if he is re-elected in 2012, will we get 4 more years of campaigning?



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Talk about a lose lose situation for a person. Since the terrible disaster that struck Joplin some people have been complaining about the President not going there and showing his support. He did the right thing in waiting until the memorial. Had he not shown up you all would be twitching behind your computer screens all too anxious to point out how he doesn't care.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia
 


Good point. If he wins for some bizarre reason that would give him four more years to eliminate 22nd Amendment that places term limits on our El Presidente. That's when his Auto Pilot button kicks in



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74
 


I understand the scrutiny and I am certainly dishing it out. However, I watched the speech and watched him morph into campaign mode at a Memorial Service. I was not joking when I said that the man lacks an off switch.

When you consider how many people died in this tragedy and how many people have lost everything, this speech style was clearly inappropriate and yet very predictable from our Rookie President.

All I want is for this man to have just one bitter reality check while in office. Enough of the meaningless rhetoric. I want to see Obama for the man that he really is. If that's even possible for him.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Talk about a lose lose situation for a person. Since the terrible disaster that struck Joplin some people have been complaining about the President not going there and showing his support. He did the right thing in waiting until the memorial. Had he not shown up you all would be twitching behind your computer screens all too anxious to point out how he doesn't care.


Poor guy. So, instead of "Obama should have told fire, rescue and volunteers that 'it's OK to keep working to find those 29 missing people while I'm here' " you're saying "stop picking on Obama"? I see where your Progressive mind is.

/TOA



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American
 


I am strictly referring to the fact that up until he went to the memorial many people on here were crying about that fact that he was in Europe during the aftermath of a tragedy due to a natural disaster and now that he went people on here are all mad because now he's delaying rescue efforts.

Speaking to the people of Joplin over the TV wasn't good enough and now going there isn't good enough. I happen to think a President shouldn't need to physically go somewhere to show support or for "the people" to believe that support is being shown.

My only point ever was that it can't be had both ways. If the man sneezed and wiped his nose on his sleeve there'd be 20 threads on this forum in 2 minutes, bitching about it and demanding dna proof that it was his snot.



posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by The Old American
 


I am strictly referring to the fact that up until he went to the memorial many people on here were crying about that fact that he was in Europe during the aftermath of a tragedy due to a natural disaster and now that he went people on here are all mad because now he's delaying rescue efforts.

Speaking to the people of Joplin over the TV wasn't good enough and now going there isn't good enough. I happen to think a President shouldn't need to physically go somewhere to show support or for "the people" to believe that support is being shown.

My only point ever was that it can't be had both ways. If the man sneezed and wiped his nose on his sleeve there'd be 20 threads on this forum in 2 minutes, bitching about it and demanding dna proof that it was his snot.


You're right. We shouldn't be mad at him for delaying rescue efforts. I was heartless and self-serving. I hope he can forgive me.

Bush flew around New Orleans in a helicopter so he wouldn't interrupt fire and rescue services. Bush did a lot of bad things, but perhaps Obama should have taken his lead on that one. If he had two neurons to run together, he may have.

/TOA



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join