It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students to be Forced into the Military to Repay Debts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

That system is available here in the US if you choose to, it is the GI bill.
If you successfully traverse the sausage grinder that is the US military, they say thank you and put you in college.
You see if they educate people first, they may figure out the game and say screw the military.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by journey2010

Its unfortunate however there are probably thousands more that arent like you or in your situation that are blatantly abusing the system and/or making poor decisions with the money given.

The assistance may be different in ontario, canada here then where you live in NC but, here we have a program that assists those temporarily. All one has to do is go in and see a worker. If you qualify, theres nothing wrong in accepting help, only to return it to society in the end, if your intentions are good dont be ashamed since its there for valid reasons such as this.
We have 'ontario works' program which is assistance (welfare) but with help (active help) in finding a job. In order to receive pay you need to show them active search for employment and as well receive help in finding work from them (temp job openings etc to get you started). And as an extra help you can receive a bit extra to cover you for any work related needs (uniform, steel toed boots etc.). Its a monitored assistance which is good for those looking to take advantage.
All though its still technically welfare, its a way for those who only need temporary help make it through the unemployment phase (without having to starve waiting on ridiculous UE).
Pride is a good thing but not if it negatively affects you in the long run. You are able to come off assistance after its not necessary.

PS the whole reason for bringing up the ontario works in the first place was because I was one who didn't want to accept help from welfare and do it myself. I received 2 months help, and money to buy the boots i had to have for the job I found. I got my check for showing I was actively seeking work and stopped receiving money when I had found it. In the long run im not ashamed of it and never have been on it since, but I know its there if I need it.
edit on 31-5-2011 by topherman420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I wouldn't say that.
Mine was wholly greed motivated, after the dust settled I found I had 6 kids to feed and the idea of dropping out of work and going to school was a nogo.
Now I am retired and have no interest in rejoining the fray.
Plus that my kids have enough trouble finding work themselves.
Woot free trade!!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Lit up for what?
It is a brilliant idea, our founding fathers knew educated men were not slaves.
If universities were required in the 1700's then yes universities would be free in the US.
I am sure of this.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
The only reason I say this is due to cost/benefit. If we properly educate our best and brightest won't our productivity/GDP go up, dramatically?

I personally think college should be changed to reward hard work and effort over having rich parents, for certain. But good luck on that. Our whole system is set up to benefit the already well off, and to hinder the poor from crawling out of the hole they are in.

But in a global economy, even countries like the European countries who currently pay for college for their citizens will eventually stop. Thats because as sovereignty weakens, people will not stay and work in their home nation, and that economic investment made by the home nation will end off paying off into someone elses pocket.

Nationalism gets a really bad name from the globalists and corporatists, but for people, its not a bad thing to take care of your own, further their interests, and invest in your own people.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Hessling
The only reason I say this is due to cost/benefit. If we properly educate our best and brightest won't our productivity/GDP go up, dramatically?

I personally think college should be changed to reward hard work and effort over having rich parents, for certain. But good luck on that. Our whole system is set up to benefit the already well off, and to hinder the poor from crawling out of the hole they are in.

But in a global economy, even countries like the European countries who currently pay for college for their citizens will eventually stop. Thats because as sovereignty weakens, people will not stay and work in their home nation, and that economic investment made by the home nation will end off paying off into someone elses pocket.

Nationalism gets a really bad name from the globalists and corporatists, but for people, its not a bad thing to take care of your own, further their interests, and invest in your own people.

Not to mention that the Govt really does not pay for this. The Tax payer pays for it, and they are running out of money.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

What else is one to do?

You cant even get a retail job in most places where I am without a degree. It's insane, years ago those positions didn't require a degree now they do? It's all money.

I have two jobs right now. One I make my own schedule and the other is part time which took me three years to get! Jobs where I live are scarce

I choose to go to college but I did not choose to be taken advantage of financially.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by macman

What else is one to do?

You cant even get a retail job in most places where I am without a degree. It's insane, years ago those positions didn't require a degree now they do? It's all money.

I have two jobs right now. One I make my own schedule and the other is part time which took me three years to get! Jobs where I live are scarce

I choose to go to college but I did not choose to be taken advantage of financially.

I have 2 jobs as well. I great regular job (Network Admin), part time help desk. I understand the job market.
But, there are jobs to be had, if you are willing to work for money and not position.
But, by all means, go to college. I have no problem with that.
My problem is when people complain about what they have to do in college and pay for it.
There are other alternatives. Some people just don't like them.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you have an associates degree(community college for me) and 5 years of experience, in a lot of fields, it's just as good as getting a bachelors degree.

I know it to be true with the Graphic Design business, anyways. Save yourself some money.
edit on 31-5-2011 by jessejamesxx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

If you actually think that you can work your way through college today, then you are waaay behind the times. Community college...okay, that's possible. But 4-year university? Forget it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by wlasikiewicz

That system is available here in the US if you choose to, it is the GI bill.
If you successfully traverse the sausage grinder that is the US military, they say thank you and put you in college.
You see if they educate people first, they may figure out the game and say screw the military.

Yeah....ok..... they will put you through college ONLY if you decide to stay in the military on active duty. Basically if your education of choice doesn't line up with your MOS, you're screwed. Pretty good system eh?
P.S. before anyone else starts spouting about the military "thanking" us for selling our souls, just look at the fact that we, the veterans of this bullspit "War on Terror" are now considered the biggest threat to national security by the government. This is the same in both Canada and the States. "We support our troops", my ass! To sum it up, the military is NOT a viable option for getting an education as it is most likely that they will sidetrack you intentionally to prevent you from reaching that goal. And then there's the fact that most employers are scared to hire veterans (I know this is the case up here and it's not really a stretch to imagine that it's the same down there). Put simply, the fact that alot of teenagers still think that the military is a good option shows that the propaganda has worked very well. The idealism of military service is beyond ridiculous. They make it sound like you're saving the world and bettering yourself, while you're just killing someone's son or daughter and messing yourself up in the head. Sorry...that was a little Rant-agious wasn't it lol.
edit on 31/5/2011 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I think its a great idea....military service is good for young folks and having obama make them do it is poetic justice for their support of him....just remember how much you love him that first wake up morning in Boot Camp....and when you experience that first IED outside your vehicle door

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkkkay.>.snip..snip.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Just what we need in the military...more young people only in it for education.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatedAxion
Community college...okay, that's possible. But 4-year university? Forget it.

You can, I just did a couple years back. You just cant really do it in 4 years if you want to eat, live in a home, have gas, insurance, etc. Forget a social life. Its not happening. Lol.

Its also really hard to force your classes into the two days off a week you get with a full time job, even if you are lucky enough to get weekdays off. Takes a lot of juggling to get your requirements to work out if you only have two days to play with.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
What is wrong about joining the military? It builds character, responsibility, maturity. Things that are sadly lacking in many of todays youth. It is an honor to serve your country, something politicians have forgotten.

Attack, flame, do what you want, but the military is a far better place than the unemployment line.

Just a humble opinion.
Cheers.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
What is wrong about joining the military? It builds character, responsibility, maturity. Things that are sadly lacking in many of todays youth. It is an honor to serve your country, something politicians have forgotten.

Attack, flame, do what you want, but the military is a far better place than the unemployment line.

Just a humble opinion.
Cheers.

Some people have 'alternative' morals that don't include invading foreign countries and killing record-breaking amounts of innocent people for corporate interest.

Some of us have 'morals' that somehow make us conditioned to be faithful to "the flag" and do just that just to put a check in the account.... which you now don't make interest on, you pay 'service fees' instead. Because while some of us have been overseas "fighting for our freedoms" and "serving our country (more realistically, 1196 people in our country)" , here in reality we've been dealing with the fact that "our freedoms" barely even exist anymore because everyone just wants money in exchange for absolute bunk.
edit on 1-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I've wondered for some time if those on loans would be coerced into military service but now I'm pretty sure that debt is simply the government's way of forcing you to reach your full "productive potential." Basically, if you're smart, they want to make sure you never make enough money early enough in your life to start sitting on your ass. It is enslavement of the intellectual.

If my parents weren't paying my way through college, you can bet I'd find a way to afford college without loans-- or I simply wouldn't go. Then again, my major has decent salary prospects in my region-- I'm no underwater basket weaver.

As a third-year Cal State student, I CAN tell you that college, (other than the classes in my major, electrical engineering technology) has been a TOTAL waste of my intellectual abilities. In CA, nearly half of our units (and thus our money) go toward the completion of a "general education" program. I already had 73 units of these completed by the time I finished high school, but of course I needed MORE to be "well-rounded." By and large, these classes are an enormous waste of time, effort, and money for anyone with half a brain. They're absurdly easy, but they have a tendency to get in the way of my interests and frequently have the stereotypical "blinded-liberal" bias to them. I have had more interesting conversations with drunken peers at parties than I've had with GE professors.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

No wonder Obama paid his # off! lol

Oh well, I was drawn in.. I took loans from tha gub, still owe yet still in school.

Too school for cool...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
my advice to the young folks here on ATS.

1) Stay OUT of debt, do not borrow a dime
under any circumstances. Even if you have
to go without sometimes.

2) Do NOT go into military service. You are not
fighting for your country, you will be fighting for
corporate banks. Also the trade you will learn
in the military will NOT be usable in the real
world 90% of the time. And the college bonus
they promise you for signing will not even pay
half of your college expenses and it takes 4 yrs
out of your life meaning you have passed the age
of ever getting a scholarship.