It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students to be Forced into the Military to Repay Debts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have come across this article that sais it.
I would suggest you see the video first, it makes it more tolerable.
The vide is awsome take the 3min if you need to smile

We also recently commented on how the US college system draws people into large debts (Debtucation) and how student debt is now larger than credit card debt in the US. It is the US Government itself that has made college education so expensive by offering student loans to anyone who can fog a mirror but again they have shown their intentions by making student loan debt the only debt which can not be forgiven. A 2005 decree from the Bush Administration stated that student loan debt could not be dissolved through bankruptcy proceedings. The only other scenario where this “no-escape” clause exists is debt from criminal acts and debt from fraud. In other words, student loan debt is seen, by the US Government, as being similar to proceeds from crime!

What will this mean with more young Americans in student loan debt than any other time? It's anyones guess but it would not be out of the realm of possibility to force students who can not pay off their debt into the military to repay their debt

It also talks about how we are all becoming criminals

Now We Are All Criminals

It is already said that there are so many laws, rules and regulations in the US that each person in the US breaks at least one law per day, if not much more - without even knowing it. But the US Government is becoming more obvious in how it will go about making everyone a criminal and fining them ridiculous amounts of money in doing so.

Should goverment be allowed to do this

Link:www.dollarvigilante.com...

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Swells looks like I'm gonna have to find other means of paying when I go to college. I'm not going to the freakin's army unless as an officer.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
College education in this country is a scam just like credit cards.

They don't give a CRAP about education, it is very obvious for anyone who has esp dealt with the dept of education.

Ugh they are a thorn in my side.

One day I will post my experience I am still dealing with but it gets my blood boiling so I have to calm down before I share.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

A related video:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Forced into the Military to pay debt?
How about this, not taking huge student loans, actually work while going to college and pay the bills as you go, find a trade, go into the Military as opposed to College?

One does not equal the other, sorry..

Personal choices everyone, plain and simple.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
it certainly could be outside the realm of possibility, in a strictly legal and theoretical sense. while it does mention a no escape clause im sure there's no language in there waving someones right to choose the method in which they repay their loans, only that they do repay them.

student debt and the average baseline of debt that young people enter into the workforce with is a serious problem, and needs to be addressed in a serious way. the fact is that many americans do not qualify for financial aid, and also cannot afford to go to college. this is an obvious flaw in a system integral to the growth of the middle class. if anything the middle class is under attack and this is just one theatre of operations for TPTB
edit on 31-5-2011 by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O. because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by macman
How about this, not taking huge student loans, actually work while going to college and pay the bills as you go, find a trade, go into the Military as opposed to College?

Really??

Sure cause the workforce in the US is so huge right now.

I busted my ass to pay for school when I couldn't get loans and well THREE jobs wasn't enough. Do you know how expensive college is? DO YOU. Aerospace engineering degrees are NOT cheap!

Now i have one loan and am being screwed by my old school and well it has come to me involving lawyers. COMPLETE and utter MONEY scam! God I hope they all lose their jobs for their lies!

Im a straight A student and all they care about is MONEY. When I started community college after I graduated it was nothing like it is now, they actually DID care but now it's gotten so bad. Its alllll about the benjamins baby!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

Nice video, it speaks alot of truth, cept i do have and have had always a bitter taste, must be sacharin (or however that rat poison is spelled).
This is the good thing about the school I attended, UCSHK tuition is paid daily!
University of California School of Hard Knocks, there they let nobody skate and if you do not get all A's you don't pass.

And it makes you pay your Gumment "debt"
daily.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Whatever. I DID pay my way through. I worked before college and saved money, and I worked during college, and I have zero college debt. But..........Im not going to get on a high horse and say everyone should do it that way. If you do a cost benefit analysis, depending on what you are going for, you may be much better off taking on the debt and getting the increase in salary sooner rather than later. Because lets face facts, it takes longer to complete a degree when you are working full time and paying it as you go.

AND, you miss out on the equally important internships and other crap that employers today demand you have when you are holding down a full time job.

College is just a hoop. Its just another way to prove to potential employers that you are willing to play the game, jump all their hoops, and participate in the American way, which, by the way, includes debt. A corporate headhunter actually wrote that someone with no debt is a worse hire than someone with lots of debt and an extravagant lifestyle because the latter shows strong status needs, and they HAVE to chase the dollar to pay for it. Which means they will do what you want and need them to to get those bonuses.

What the average person thinks of as "good" (straight A's, no debt) corporate America does not.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Really??

Sure cause the workforce in the US is so huge right now.

I busted my ass to pay for school when I couldn't get loans and well THREE jobs wasn't enough. Do you know how expensive college is? DO YOU. Aerospace engineering degrees are NOT cheap!

Now i have one loan and am being screwed by my old school and well it has come to me involving lawyers. COMPLETE and utter MONEY scam! God I hope they all lose their jobs for their lies!

Im a straight A student and all they care about is MONEY. When I started community college after I graduated it was nothing like it is now, they actually DID care but now it's gotten so bad. Its alllll about the benjamins baby!

S you wanted to go into Aerospace engineering, right?
You knew the amount of schooling that it takes, right?
You started the journey, and are now complaining about it? REALLY?
Yes, I do know the cost of College, that is why I refuse to play the game.
You choose the path, not I or anyone else. Complaining about it does nothing but make you look foolish, as it was your chosen path.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

What will this mean with more young Americans in student loan debt than any other time? It's anyones guess but it would not be out of the realm of possibility to force students who can not pay off their debt into the military to repay their debt

You are basing your thread entirely on this highly speculative and factually devoid comment from some anonymous blogger.

Is there any tangible evidence which actually suggests that there's even the remotest possibility oft debt-ridden students being conscripted into the US army ?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
They are trying the same in the UK now, forcing back end debts on students, that keeps them 1) in the country and, cannot leave with debt thus preventing skill drain 2) well, who knows what doors out they will offer in future.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

They do bring up a valid point in a way. You are the exception, and I congratulate you on your hard work and its a great achievement. But not all are like you or are actually going into debt for something big and has a big potential.

Ive worked in first party collections for capital one (the not so late customers) and had alot of conversations with students who were in over their heads. Spending thousands on nonsense items or huge amounts being given only for them to drop out or to go after another dream. I was in awe at the amount of these loans given and the amount of students not actually getting a degree or opting out of their class. Indecisions, bad decisions and lack of forethought is what really hurts these students, unlike you who have a decisive and well thought out choice and whom is working their butt off for it.

That being said, I think the government has a responsibility of some forethought here before they start handing out loans left right and center. The economy isnt the best and the government obviously knows it, yet because of their mistakes would make the student do this like 'its your fault'. I think the bottom line is better choices for both sides.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by iNTERPLANETARyR.O.M.E.O.

while it does mention a no escape clause im sure there's no language in there waving someones right to choose the method in which they repay their loans, only that they do repay them.

I imagine a very simple language. such as: "Would you like prison time or military service?.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by macman

Whatever. I DID pay my way through. I worked before college and saved money, and I worked during college, and I have zero college debt. But..........Im not going to get on a high horse and say everyone should do it that way. If you do a cost benefit analysis, depending on what you are going for, you may be much better off taking on the debt and getting the increase in salary sooner rather than later. Because lets face facts, it takes longer to complete a degree when you are working full time and paying it as you go.

AND, you miss out on the equally important internships and other crap that employers today demand you have when you are holding down a full time job.

College is just a hoop. Its just another way to prove to potential employers that you are willing to play the game, jump all their hoops, and participate in the American way, which, by the way, includes debt. A corporate headhunter actually wrote that someone with no debt is a worse hire than someone with lots of debt and an extravagant lifestyle because the latter shows strong status needs, and they HAVE to chase the dollar to pay for it. Which means they will do what you want and need them to to get those bonuses.

What the average person thinks of as "good" (straight A's, no debt) corporate America does not.

Look, I am not discrediting College goers and graduates. Good for you. You wanted to sit in a classroom 4 more years, and pay through the nose for it. I really don't care.
I looked at College and the cost, to me, was borderline insane.
You continue in your retort on Theory and what someone said in the HR department. If the company see people like that, then why would you want to work for that company?

All I am saying is why are people complaining about a choice they made? You knew the costs for going to college. Don't cry foul after the fact.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

So because I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and parents who pay my tuition I should not pursue my dreams?

Haaa yeah ok right..

You sound like the dept of education!

Apparently you never had a dream in your life!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mkkkay

An okay idea . . . But debt bondage AND drafting are both forms of slavery. I say that we do not offer student loans in the first place!

Problem fixed.

SeraphNB

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by topherman420

I have only ever got one loan and it was 5k (last year) and believe me I didn't want it. I dont use credit cards or anything but I had to have this loan and well now I wish I never had it! It's the worst thing ever and it's affecting my currently schooling...It's a long story that I really do want to share on here some day but it really gets me upset when I start thinking about it. I am currently saving up to pay for my courses in January, yeah January but i have to and I have budgeted myself to be able to do so. I am at a much better school where tuition isn't an arm an a leg so I can pay for it myself, it will just take extra work but it's nothing I havent done before. It's just frustrating what my last school did to me and they know they are screwed! I am sure I will probably never see the money they stole but hopefully something comes of it.

I never take more than what is needed for school, I can support myself. I even asked them to take the rest of the money I didn't use back!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
reply to post by macman

So because I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and parents who pay my tuition I should not pursue my dreams?

Haaa yeah ok right..

You sound like the dept of education!

Apparently you never had a dream in your life!

What are you talking about?

Go forth and be prosperous. By all means, follow and achieve your dreams. Don't complain and cry about how hard it is/was to get to where you are.
I do have dream(s). I work(ed) towards them. I don't sob in the corner about how difficult it was. My choice, no one else.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

No. You said the above. Not what you posted later. Which is what I responded to. Not what you posted later.

Good for you if your career choice does not require college. I worked in construction to save money for school, and I am well aware that there are career paths in which you also invest 4 years, but get paid to do it rather than pay for it. (Though more and more there is a growing requirement for classroom time too in the trades)

Edit, and the unemployment rate for returning military personnel is staggering. Trades tend to require construction and in case you arent paying attention, new construction is still lagging. And not every person is construction or military material, either. You just cant generalize the way you were.

But for people who want many career paths simply have no choice but to go to college. Its illegal to practice medicine without a license, for instance. And employers are increasing their demands that YOU pay to train yourself, even for crappy jobs like medical assisting and other jobs that pay absolute trash.

There is something bigger wrong with the system than just people taking on debt to go to school. The barriers to entry keep getting higher and higher, and those barriers to entry include the cost of education for the potential employee. Its cost shifting from the employer to the employee, and its part of an overall trend in undermining real wages in the US.

But, to tell people in this day and age that they should just work their way through is not always realistic. Sometimes, in fact often, the math comes out in favor of finishing ASAP to get the better salary and benefits ASAP and thus have more working years over which to offset the cost of your education.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join