It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students to be Forced into the Military to Repay Debts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

can't do that because too many people wanted easy money fast

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Where did I say anything you state?

I didn't. If you knew me you would know your comment is crap. I bust my ASS to achieve my own goals! I dont expect anyone to do anything for me but when I am taken advantage of and flat out LIED to about my own education, which I take seriously, yeah I get pissed off. I have every right to be upset, you dont know my story or what happened. So maybe you shouldnt tell me how I should act when you don't know a damn thing about me or what I am going through.

Only 40 students a year are accepted into the program I am in...I am very proud I was one of those 40. It's a step in the right direction for my future goals and I am on the right track and nobody will stop me not even the dept of education! I am stubborn and fight for my rights and they are seeing this.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seraphnb

Not offering college loans?
That is crazy talk, they would have to make schooling affordable and then where would they get the money for all of the college sports and advertising and perks to the staff and...
Maybe there is some merit to what you say.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If only more were like you then you probably wouldnt see things like this. Students in debt and no future in sight because of bad decisions all round (parents, students, government and schools). A problem like this is a collective effort.
Do you feel some anger towards those abusing the system, perhaps in the long run making your payments and interest higher on those loans? I personally would a bit, especially one working as hard to secure their future instead of relying solely on the loan as a handout for "being a good boy/girl, and staying in school".
The government blames students, the students will blame government, to me they are all to blame and the few gems that use these loans to their full potential, and pay them back through their hard work, get dragged down with it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I didn't. If you knew me you would know your comment is crap. I bust my ASS to achieve my own goals!

Good for you. I did it the way you are too, except I didnt take a student loan.

Some people who choose not to go to college like to mock it, and belittle it, and act like the right choice for them is the right choice for everyone and clearly, that cannot be the case. If everyone did what macman did, the supply of workers in his field would be enormous and the pay would be seasonal field worker wages.

Of course the reverse is true too, and many college people belittle and mock those who DO take up a trade, or a military career and act as if they are stupid for doing it, when some of the smartest people I have ever met I met not in college, but in the trades.

The thing both college goers and non college goers have in common is that employers are shifting the costs, of training, of anything they can, onto the employee. And as the labor force globalizes more and more, and you have more competition for each job around the world, expect to see those hoops get held higher and higher, and expect to pay more to earn less.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Skip college. Get a good lawnmower and push it around. You'll meet people. One of them will give you a reasonable job. Also there are plenty of decent job openings in city and local government, they have requirements, but many people are hired on waivers.

About 1/3 of the public school teachers where I live are hired on waivers. Likewise city bus drivers, they don't have CDL licenses. I have an advanced degree that I got on full scholarship. Cost me nothing. Never had a job that related to my education.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

How old are you? Im only asking because the advice a lot of people at the tail end of their careers will give people on careers is obsolete.

Boomers paid less for college (in real adjusted dollars) and they had a much more protected labor pool, thanks to jobs being held in the US before the push for "free trade" really hit its stride in the late 80's and through the 90's.

What worked for Boomers will not work for people entering the labor market today. Its a very different game right now. A college degree used to mean something. Now its like a HS diploma, just the bare minimum to even get them to look at your application, often for jobs that used to go to people with HS diplomas.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by topherman420
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If only more were like you then you probably wouldnt see things like this. Students in debt and no future in sight because of bad decisions all round (parents, students, government and schools). A problem like this is a collective effort.

Thank you.

I actually recently helped a friend with the dept of education and their red tape. She was so stressed out and they make their process difficult but I am very good at dealing with them, so I helped her. She said if it wasn't for me she never would have been back in school. She even thanked me on her FB when she got her first report card. I know how frustrating the DOE is and I also know many people get too frustrated to even deal with them. You can be on hold for an hour and wait days if not weeks to even hear back. I actually had them tell me they don't care if I graduate or not! Yeah, it's all about money.

Do you feel some anger towards those abusing the system, perhaps in the long run making your payments and interest higher on those loans? I personally would a bit, especially one working as hard to secure their future instead of relying solely on the loan as a handout for "being a good boy/girl, and staying in school".
The government blames students, the students will blame government, to me they are all to blame and the few gems that use these loans to their full potential, and pay them back through their hard work, get dragged down with it.

I get very upset at people who abuse the system. I have seen many do it too! It angers me because I would be more than happy to have that money, I would have been done by now but paying for your own education is hard and expensive. I have a few friends whose parents paid for their degrees and yet they don't do anything with them, they party and have no goals in life. I would have been happy to have parents like that but I didn't and well that is how it goes so I have to work a little harder which I dont mind , in the end it will mean more to me because i worked for it myself.

I think he cost of education is insane! The program I was in previously was a 3yr bachelor program that was 90k! That is nuts considering when I graduate I wouldnt be guaranteed that to start out but about 20k minimum to start. There is no reason it should cost that much. Everyone talks about how important an education is yet if it really was important the student and their grades are what should matter, not what is in their bank account but sadly that is how it has become. I applied for scholarships and got a small one, not much but it paid for books. The school I am in now is a community college and the tuition is a fraction of what I paid previously and it's directly related to my degree, no BS classes just so they can get extra money, just classes related to my career.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You said, "many college people belittle and mock those who DO take up a trade".
No booklearned idgit ever mocked me, in fact they praised me as I mocked them.
I am a retired Plumber and the sissies that would/could not do some of the ...
crap I did kills me to think they are the "educated" ones.
Yes sir sign here and I'll dig a hole in your yard for $1000. because you don't wanna get dirty!
3 hours later I've made more than my daily want and am onto my next job.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
People are so busy chasing the dollar like a carrot on the end of a string they don't see who's doing the pulling or why. This goes for the college students, corporate America and the government alike.

I'm sitting on the outside looking in on this one and it all looks like a circus act gone bad. I'm glad now that I've never been a part of this sort of thing, and if it continues along in the same vein, my daughter won't either. I love her, why would I put in the middle of this kind of s**t, you know?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I am kinda ashamed of my life, so I don't like to give details. I am a very good shade tree mechanic (self taught) and one of the best tax persons you could ever meet, better than a CPA. My brother is a CPA.

Things were going OK for me recently at Poker Stars, until....dum, dum,dum! The Justice Dept. yanked the rug out from US players. Took weeks to get my money out. I went ballistic over the whole mess.

Guess I could play at Bodog Poker. Have played there before. But Poker Stars was top shelf.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Admittedly, I have not watched the video. Instead, I am responding to the replies the OP has received.

I am a 30 year old male who (along with my lifetime partner) supports my mother (in our home). I have never attended 'traditional' school. I graduated from HS a year early, and entered the workforce. By 24, I was making 50k a year as a retail manager. Albeit, I was working 80-110 hours PER WEEK. On average, that's 95 hours per week. To exclude overtime pay (I was salary) that's only (roughly) $10/hour.

I have suffered health issues (I require 3 discs to to replaced in my back. I refuse - doctors only offer a 60% chance of me walking afterwards). Therefore, I can no longer work in my trade. (I cannot stand for more than 1-2 hours at a time without losing feeling in my legs and collapsing on the floor.) Rather than going on the system, (which I am qualified for) I chose to begin my own business. Have any of you ever attempted to get business financing without a degree? I have the hands on experience to run my business like a pro. But to succeed, I need extra money and employees. (EDIT TO ADD) I am running my business while in school - but it cannot grow as it should without additional financing.

To better myself, I have started online college courses with Devry University. At $5000 per 8 weeks, I cannot afford this out of pocket. (And I doubt most of you can, either.) So yes, I rely on student loans. And yes, I am taking a gamble on the degree paying off in the long run.

So for those of you who say that I should just 'work myself' through college - it doesn't always work. My family was/is dirt poor. In 30 years, well - 14 since I moved out at 16, I have only borrowed $800 from them. But I now spend about $500/month supporting my mother.

Bottom line - don't knock those of us who borrow for school. My degree is business management/small business entrepreneurship - nothing major. Before you slam - go look in the mirror.
edit on 31-5-2011 by journey2010 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2011 by journey2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
That is pretty bad but in some countries you have no choice but to do time in the military before you start anything else.

That is basically bringing back national service. Education should be free regardless of your background because later on in life when you get a job you are only paying back what the state has given you.

link   

Originally posted by macman
Forced into the Military to pay debt?
How about this, not taking huge student loans, actually work while going to college and pay the bills as you go, find a trade, go into the Military as opposed to College?

One does not equal the other, sorry..

Personal choices everyone, plain and simple.

Really??

Sure cause the workforce in the US is so huge right now.

I busted my ass to pay for school when I couldn't get loans and well THREE jobs wasn't enough. Do you know how expensive college is? DO YOU. Aerospace engineering degrees are NOT cheap!

Know what caused the massive increases intuition???
readily available: easy govt student loans.
"I mean really"; Who can afford $60,000 /year to sit in class?

(Tim Hawkins left you a clue: The government can...The government can; cause it takes it from other folks"...)

Now i have one loan and am being screwed by my old school and well it has come to me involving lawyers. COMPLETE and utter MONEY scam! God I hope they all lose their jobs for their lies!

Im a straight A student and all they care about is MONEY. When I started community college after I graduated it was nothing like it is now, they actually DID care but now it's gotten so bad. Its alllll about the benjamins baby!

edit on 31-5-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by g146541

You sir, and the many other people out there like you, are the backbone of this country.

A tip of the hat.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by macman

How about this, not taking huge student loans, actually work while going to college and pay the bills as you go, find a trade, go into the Military as opposed to College?

No. You said the above. Not what you posted later. Which is what I responded to. Not what you posted later.

Good for you if your career choice does not require college. I worked in construction to save money for school, and I am well aware that there are career paths in which you also invest 4 years, but get paid to do it rather than pay for it. (Though more and more there is a growing requirement for classroom time too in the trades)

Edit, and the unemployment rate for returning military personnel is staggering. Trades tend to require construction and in case you arent paying attention, new construction is still lagging. And not every person is construction or military material, either. You just cant generalize the way you were.

But for people who want many career paths simply have no choice but to go to college. Its illegal to practice medicine without a license, for instance. And employers are increasing their demands that YOU pay to train yourself, even for crappy jobs like medical assisting and other jobs that pay absolute trash.

There is something bigger wrong with the system than just people taking on debt to go to school. The barriers to entry keep getting higher and higher, and those barriers to entry include the cost of education for the potential employee. Its cost shifting from the employer to the employee, and its part of an overall trend in undermining real wages in the US.

But, to tell people in this day and age that they should just work their way through is not always realistic. Sometimes, in fact often, the math comes out in favor of finishing ASAP to get the better salary and benefits ASAP and thus have more working years over which to offset the cost of your education.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

I think I may have mistyped and/or you misunderstood my stance of the issue.
For all those that want to go, go, by all means, please go. But don't cry about it later.

As for paying? It will either be at the front of the back. Back has the pun as it will be in the end.HAHA,
But, don't cry about it later.
edit on 31-5-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm sure I'll get lit up like a Christmas tree for this, but shouldn't college be free?

The only reason I say this is due to cost/benefit. If we properly educate our best and brightest won't our productivity/GDP go up, dramatically?

More to the point how do we know the 3.9 GPA High School student who cannot afford college, might not in the future hold the key to curing Cancer or developing a workable nuclear fusion solution to the energy crisis? If this person opts out of college because the cost is prohibitive are we wasting genius that might have dramatically benefitted all mankind?

Wouldn't our economy benefit? Might we not make numerous scientific breakthroughs if we ensure that those who both desire and have the skills get as educated as possible?

Okay, you can break out the flamethrowers now.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

reply to post by macman

Where did I say anything you state?

I didn't. If you knew me you would know your comment is crap. I bust my ASS to achieve my own goals! I dont expect anyone to do anything for me but when I am taken advantage of and flat out LIED to about my own education, which I take seriously, yeah I get pissed off. I have every right to be upset, you dont know my story or what happened. So maybe you shouldnt tell me how I should act when you don't know a damn thing about me or what I am going through.

Only 40 students a year are accepted into the program I am in...I am very proud I was one of those 40. It's a step in the right direction for my future goals and I am on the right track and nobody will stop me not even the dept of education! I am stubborn and fight for my rights and they are seeing this.

So you busted your butt and are on path? So what is your problem then?
All I am saying is why are people crying and whining about the costs associated with College, when they choose to go to College?

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
My father is retired President of one of the largest credit bureaus in the world, Equifax. My uncle is President of a very large debt collecting agency.

Student loans go into default after 7 years period. So if you have people harassing you after 7 years, take comfort, you owe them nothing. You can also report the company harassing you.

Recently, I was contacted by a company representing themselves as the Us Dept. of ED. They were threatening me with all kinds of garnishments etc. or I could "settle today" and give them 12,000 dollars. My student loan that I borrowed against was 3,000. and it was 17 years ago.

They broke so many laws according to the Fair Credit Act, that I ended up writing the Attorney General and explained that I had told the company to cease and desist. It is illegal to represent yourself as the federal govt.
by law.

I have not heard from them since.

Pax

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
so let me get this straight.

pot cures cancer.

college ruins lives.

and flu vaccines dont even work.

wow. looks like my decisions in life didnt turn out so bad after all.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join