It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this place?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
On a recent commute home from Kirton Lindsey, we passed RAF Coningsby. Just past the airbase, there was an area surrounded by trees, with a few small, old buildings visible among the trees.

It was a pretty unremarkable area, seemingly derelict, until I noticed a Ministry Of Defence sign outside what I gather to be the main enterance

My work colleague told me it is/was part of the airbase, but I'm not sure sure. (He also said that the base was no longer in use and is basically on the "back-burner" until TSHTF)

RAF Coningsby

Area in question

Main Gate

Closer View

Note how there seems to be underground enterances all over the place

Apologies if the links don't work properly, it's my first time using Flickr

Any ideas?

Kyle

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by kai22

I thought I was trippin' but everytime I click on the links you provided, It takes me to the same image.

Seems to be interesting nonetheless.

Edit to add;

Just gotta click 'Newer' or 'Older' at the top to cycle through the images.

Here's one of the images you uploaded.

Really does seem mysterious. Wonder if anything leads underground.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Oozii because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
i think they look like entrance to something underground. The larger building looks like it is for lorrys of some sort because the road is wider and so are the gaps. Looks fun.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Weapons bunkers... for storing any type of ammunition. Whether it be small arms, explosives, artillery, perhaps even nuclear or chem weapons.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
It's an abandoned storehouse. And it's not underground. It's on surface level.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Nothing special in these photo's, look at any air force base in the UK and you will see something similar. These are weapon storage areas, the idea being to minimise the amount of explosive in one area, and to try and protect each area from an explosion in a nearby area. If a Luftwaffe bomb had hit one bunker the separation would minimise the resulting explosion rather than the lot going up in a spectacular bang.

Look at RAF Waddington, you'll see exactly the same kind of thing. You can see the storage facility from the road.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
looks strange and well kept might go underground

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The mysterious area in question is the magazine area. What you are seeing are earth covered magazines that are used to house aircraft ordnance such as missiles and bombs, rockets, and various sizes of small arms ammunition. I am a 13 year veteran of the US Navy, I was an Aviation Ordnanceman and I spent several years working at the magazine area of NAS Oceana in Virginia Beach, Va. From the air the entrances look like they go underground, but they don't. look at any military air base from the air and you will most likely see areas like this one in question at all of them.
edit on 29-5-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Havick007 & Rob37n (ETA: OptimusSubprime too): Turns out you guys are bang on the money there. With the compound being seperate from the base itself, I thought it might be something more... mysterious I guess

I found this thread on another site : -

Source Site

Interesting that 3 types of police - one armed - turned up to deal with the intruders, even though the store is no longer in use...

Either way, it's a shame. Though it goes to show how easily an area can be wrongly identified/speculated as something else.

Thanks again,

Kyle
edit on 29-5-2011 by kai22 because: See above

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Interesting thread, interesting solution! Love these types of threads!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Yeah, sorry about the mundane explanation, it's great those moments when you think you've found something really new and exciting!

Don't let this one put you off. If you look around Lincolnshire there are some odd things. On the road from Gainsborough to S_c_unthorpe (it won't let me type S#horpe) there is a railway place in the middle of nowhere to unload rail oil tankers. No idea why or why it's there unless it's a WWII hangover, but why would it still be there? Maybe a secret store of petrol/diesel/av gas for when the SHTF?

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kai22

28 days later, a cracking site with serious people, They have members all over the country and i suspect they would fit in well here on ATS. they love exploring all over the place, As for your RAF site nice find up:
edit on 30-5-2011 by foxhoundone because: spelo

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

hmm yes but prepare to be slated if your photography isnt upto their standards

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kai22

My work colleague told me it is/was part of the airbase, but I'm not sure sure. (He also said that the base was no longer in use and is basically on the "back-burner" until TSHTF)

Hi, just thought i'd give you some info on RAF Coningsby. It is most certainly still active (One of, if not the most active RAF base in the UK.)

Coningsby is the RAFs largest fighter base, and serves as the home of the RAF eurofighter typhoon force, with all training taking place onsite with 29sqn.

Squadrons based at Coningsby are as follows:
3(F) Sqn - Eurofighter Typhoon
XI Sqn - Eurofighter Typhoon
17(R) Sqn - Eurofighter Typhoon
29(R) Sqn - Eurofighter Typhoon
41(R) FJWOEU Sqn - Tornado Gr.4/4A

source: www.raf.mod.uk...

Hope you find this interesting

Yours,
Infiltraitor.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

some of us are already here !!!!...

as for the area in question , it may not be still used but it is still in the hands of the MOD, i will be visiting next week for a full survey of the place for my work..

i will also tell you that there is not much deep underground at Conningsby , as the water table is not so good.....but Waddington is a whole different story !!!!!!..

thanks
snoopyuk
edit on 1-6-2011 by snoopyuk because: sp

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

You mean you're actually going to visit the above site? Would be awesome if you could let me know how it goes! I'd love to give it a proper visit myself but I have no transport of my own, so I only see it on my way past

What kind of work do you do? Have you visited any similar sites? If so, which ones?

I'm actually planning to write a fictional novel, as I've stated in another ATS thread -

British Conspiracies Wanted!

- and any info you could send my way would be greatly appreciated

Also very curious about RAF Waddington now... to Google!!!

Kyle

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kai22

Kyle, if you get the chance track down a copy of this film Hidden City, it's a British film with a conspiracy twist. I saw this film years ago on Channel 4, and still remember it today. There are some great shots taken in hidden places in London, and the story was quite good as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Main gate shot, no noticeable tyre tracks or dent on grass = not used a lot, or regularly, lately...
cool aerial shot though, could have 'stuff' in it. Thought about taking a closer look for thrills?

CAREFULLY...of course!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's another 28 Days Later link with some more photos of the site .

28 Days Later - fabulous site

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting thread, seems a shame for such a mysterious looking place to go "unused" though.

Dimpz

top topics

<<   2 >>

join