It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Very Strange Personal Experience ..anyone else?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

I don't have much to add to the thread, but wanted to say that I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had this happen to me several times and it's craziest feeling. I think you described it better than I could have because I would have had no idea how to put such a thing into words. One thing I do remember happening was feeling like I was seeing through my eyes, yet not really in my body... if that makes sense. I'm sure it doesn't, but you probably know what I'm talking about. It happens so fast that it's like somebody just flips a switch. I've always wondered what it is that triggers it.

I don't smoke or do drugs and I drink very little caffeine. My diet is fairly good, so I don't think it has anything to do with any of those things. S&F!

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

It sounds like a very acute form of EM induced serotonin depletion. I read a paper years back that studied the effects of EM on early radar station operators. Many described a similar experience. Certain frequencies have a way of exciting neural pathways, and can cumulatively consume large amounts of Serotonin in the Brain. Apparently you feel like you are in a strange body, completely disconnected. If you suffer from depression or severe anxiety, you should consider moving. We are not all the same in this world, and some people's brains are more sensitive to the onslaught of EM radiation they are exposed to.

AX

FTNWO

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AlphaExray

While I can't say conclusively that your theory does not explain my experiences, I have relocated about 300 miles away from the place I originally started experiencing this without any noticeable change in effect or frequency. I'd have to do some more research into it myself. Do you have any links sitting around from your research?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

First of all, even if a substance (coffee, recreational indulgences, etc) acted as a catalyst for this, it does not mean they are a product of said substance. Many things can alter your brain's function as a facilitator for reality and many of those things already exist in your chemistry. So don't be convinced it's just something you ate.

Our brains are capable of reading and solving fourier mathematics. This is the equation that everything is written in. Your brain reacts to these equations just as they would the "real" thing (this has been evidenced). The implications of that are naturally far-reaching and beyond the scope of the thread. I only bring it up because everything you see is based on the same quanta with a mutual nonlocality. So basically, it can be as simple as your brain not reading correctly or perhaps reading in an enhanced fashion.

My advice is to enjoy it, document it, and just keep track of your vitals.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Oh, I personally can't have caffeine because of my heart condition, I seriously don't think it's caffeine related (at least in my case) but nevertheless i wish i knew what it was exactly, It's not a particularly nice sensation, in fact it used to scare me a little as a child.

Can anyone else induce this sensation by just remembering what it feels like? Fantastic thread OP I never would have considering posting a thread about this, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Peace

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaExray

It sounds like a very acute form of EM induced serotonin depletion. I read a paper years back that studied the effects of EM on early radar station operators. Many described a similar experience. Certain frequencies have a way of exciting neural pathways, and can cumulatively consume large amounts of Serotonin in the Brain. Apparently you feel like you are in a strange body, completely disconnected. If you suffer from depression or severe anxiety, you should consider moving. We are not all the same in this world, and some people's brains are more sensitive to the onslaught of EM radiation they are exposed to.

AX

FTNWO

Wow now this is an interesting theory about the phenom. I don't think we know enough about this. My personal feeling is this is behind the sudden surge Autism rates - and other things - but I've no idea how we could ever "go back" to a world with out EM pollution.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

I'm not ruling that out, could very well be. I would also suggest that it could be the result of thought processes. However, I would also suggest that thought processes can trigger strokes. Not to say that this means that I have had a stroke, although it could possibly be the case.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I used to have similar experiences when I was young, probably between the ages of 4 or so and maybe 12? Mine were associated with the feeling of floating, weightless. I used to think that must be what floating on a cloud would be like. I do know that I always felt protected and safe at these moments. Not that I had a rough childhood or anything, but it was a good feeling. Just strange. I haven't had it happen for many many moons now and I'd love to experience it again. Has anyone else had that floating feeling?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by pagan_night
I felt different. It was like standing outside of the space I was supposed to be in, and watching everything.

I have whole days where I feel like that, I try to explain it to my wife but the best description I have is....it feels like everything is an inch to the left....(meaning it just doesnt feel like its supposed to....or like it usually does I should say)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
ive had these too since i was young, it was cloudlike, floating, seeing a panorama of all around you. I coceuld comprehend everything, but it was as my mind stepped onto a cloud and my body was just moving mechanically. i have always loved that feeling and hated snappping back. it was so peaceful, sometimes i thought i wasnt breathing when i felt this way.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OrganicAnagram33

Sure, and I'm not even thinking it would have to be stroke - there could potentially be lots of triggers. I was just thinking electrical impulses. I guess I am just looking at the descriptions of the experiences and it sounds very similar in some regards (of course our OP was not having a stroke, so not life threatening, thank goodness!)

I would love to know if anyone has any studies on this...

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

Thanks Bird!

I would never have heard about it, had I not run across an ATS thread on the subject.

There have been several, but, to give credit where credit is due, I think this is the thread.
edit on 29-0520115-1111 by gwynnhwyfar because: Added link to referenced ATS thread.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Wow,

I just woke up and can't believe how many people have experieced the same thing. I've explanations from diet to delusion. Some really good info so far:

Gemineye: was feeling like I was seeing through my eyes, yet not really in my body

I know exactly what you mean bud. exactly. when it was happening once, someone looked at me. i could tell instantly that although i coud see them looking at me, they were only looking at an empty shell.

AlphaExray: It sounds like a very acute form of EM induced serotonin depletion

Good shout. Sounds like a very specific study. Had a little google, can't find anything relating to the EM side, but there's loads about serotonin depletion and depersonalization.

Cuervo: My advice is to enjoy it, document it, and just keep track of your vitals.

Thanks bud. It's generally a very enjoyable experience. I always get a slightly nervous feeling, like being a wee boy again and playing further way from home than i was allowed.

Thanks everyone for replying so far, i genuinely thought nobody else would have experienced this. Some really good points so far too. I believe the brain is capable of amazing things so it could be completely imagined. It could be psychological or physiological. We seem to be ruling out potential causes too, which is good. So far, people of all different ages, locations, indulgences and diets are experiencing this.

Lets hope others come forward, i'll keep researching.

Smurf
edit on 29-5-2011 by Thundersmurf because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think I kinda understand what your talking about...
It's only been over the last year, but I'v been discovering and thinking that there is totally another "relm" or something *as you said, it's difficult to explain* that exists... and every now and then you kinda tap into it... It's weird..

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Don't normally take notice of threads like this, but yeah, been having the same feelings recently too.

I've also become more and more aware of the fact that my body is just a vehicle/vessel that "I" am trapped inside
Sounds ridiculous but I am starting to feel less and less "at home" in my own body and more like this is just "temporary". I probably sound like a deluded psychopath but meh.

I actually suffer from a rare type of migraine called a "hemiplegic migraine", also referred to as mini strokes. So perhaps there's a link there. Haven't had one in a while though, touch wood I won't have one any time soon.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Here is a copy of my old post from 10 months ago describing the same thing and asking if anyone knows what it means:
____________________________________________________________________________________________

I've been hoping for some explanation regarding experieces from my childhood in which I would seem to detach mentally almost as if a daydream but yet I would lose all sense of being. From around age 8 - primarily in school it seems as if my interest in what was going on around me would fade and after completely zoning out I'd feel like I was floating around in a wave of peace and contentment. When that perfect state of oneness arrived it was pure joy and energy. I was so free.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Heres a link to the original thread I posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Welcome to the club!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I know this experience- I've been having it since I was about 6 years old. You feel like you've suddenly woken up, your perception is sharper. Do you also get the awkward feeling that you almost have to relearn everything? Like you just woke up in a strange civilization and wonder if you can fake it? I'll sometimes find myself looking at a photocopier or a coke machine or something and thinking "I don't get it"

And no- thankfully this does not happen when I'm driving or operating dangerous machinery. I think my autobrain takes over then for purposes of safety. These odd feelings occur at other times.

I think many of you know what I'm talking about.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

Yes, exactly - you described it perfectly.

Now I am wondering if anyone else has any heightened senses or perceptions?

For instance, I feel very attuned to energies whether it be "vibes" coming off people or "vibes" pertaining to hearing bad news, etc. I also feel very attuned to nature and love decompressing in quiet solitude in parks and near the ocean. Anyone else care to share?

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
S&F, OP. I watched the TED talk (Jill Bolte Taylor) just the other day, my adult child brought it to my attention. I have had a similar sort of "expanding head" sensation on and off throughout my life. A strange sort of "wow, what am I doing here? This is my body? But what am *I*?" feeling, as if my consciousness is not contained completely in my physical self.

The above theories and suggestions on mini-strokes, seratonin depletion, substance-caused or diet-caused effect are all valid, as well a the depersonalization feeling. The members who suggested those things sound educated and articulate. I myself hold a master's and have several years of experience in behavioral counseling (so-called "mental health"), combined with a life-long interest in such topics.

I want to make the point that science really knows VERY little about psychology, the workings of the brain (I presented at a conference 5 years ago about how baby's brains develop in tune with their experiences, depending on their learning style, the style of those from whom they are learning, their circumstances, etc.), and have studied in professional and private settings the current research on brains, how they worok, how they are trained. The information being compiled with new technology seems only to make the general mysteries around the subject even more pronounced.

Having said all that, I think it's important to remember how little we DO know, really, about brains and psychology and consciousness, and that dismissing any such experiential "anomalies" as physiological "symptoms" of "disorder" is a "medical model" way of looking at things; where approaching the phenom from a non-medical "metaphysical" model is just as important.

As much as science learns about the brain, it is still an infant specialization, and many, many things remain only speculative as explanations. Is it biological? Spiritual? Pathological? Extra-sensory? We don't know. I hope personally to find out after this physical machine of mine expires -- and in many ways am not afraid of death, though I hope it occurs later rather than sooner, for I have much I still want to do while I'm here....

But thanks to the OP for sharing. I agree, it's nearly impossible to describe: for me, it's like I'm still me, but I'm sort of above me. Not watching myself, but sort of not bound by my skull. It's a very ethereal sort of feeling, and yes, I can now summon it at will. For example, right now, as I'm writing it, I can recall and recreate the feeling...and I've had 1 cup of coffee, took my SSRI's last night, and eat a healthy diet.

Thanks for giving ATS an opportunity to discuss this! Hi, everyone! Me, too!!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

I had that often when I was young - up till 20 or so, I thought as a kid it was normal - something that happened to everybody. After about 20 it became less frequent - probably a couple years now. In fact the last time it happened it was a bit more sever, kinda scary. Seems to have stopped after that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join