It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Its not the man in the fight,its the fight in the man.You will never teach a mupet to fight with any fighting art but you can turn him into a sportsman who can play his games in the knowlege that the ref and the rules will keep him safe.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Tonight film four nine o'clock ip man a crackin wing chun film.A bit biased (made by his family)but still a fab wing chun kung foo film.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I asked a ret Army COL who had written multiple books on hand to hand combat and martial arts and who has a 5th dan black belt in Korean Hapkido (similar to Japanese aikido but with more offensive moves) what the best martial art to study if you could only study one (for a real life fighting scenario)....and without hesitation he said Wrestling. His rationale was that most street fights end up on the ground in less than 10 seconds so grappling and hold techniques is what one needs to focus on for a real fight. Watch some of the mixed martial arts contests and you will see what I mean....after the fluff of faux kicks and de rigeur punches they end up on the mat. The one who wins on the ground will prevail. I fully expected him to endorse Hapkido but since he told me wrestling I have to give it a lot of weight.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I also have to give credence to Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do which is basically All Styles or No Style. In other words it is an amalgamation of all fighting styles to be used when most appropriate but without the limitation that comes with a particular fighing style. He studied boxing as well as wing chun (kung fu) for which he is most well known but saw the wisdom in combining fighting styles.
edit on 30-6-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

Indeed...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
I asked a ret Army COL who had written multiple books on hand to hand combat and martial arts and who has a 5th dan black belt in Korean Hapkido (similar to Japanese aikido but with more offensive moves) what the best martial art to study if you could only study one (for a real life fighting scenario)....and without hesitation he said Wrestling. His rationale was that most street fights end up on the ground in less than 10 seconds so grappling and hold techniques is what one needs to focus on for a real fight. Watch some of the mixed martial arts contests and you will see what I mean....after the fluff of faux kicks and de rigeur punches they end up on the mat. The one who wins on the ground will prevail. I fully expected him to endorse Hapkido but since he told me wrestling I have to give it a lot of weight.

In a fair fight(wich is an oxymoron)then your theory stands up(excuse the pun)but REALITY CHECK in the real world they are never on there own,so you take him down and his mate stamps on you until your spleen comes out of your mouth.
secondly in the real world there are no rules.take him down and he bites off anything he can get his teeth on,or pokes your eyes out or he breaks your fingers.
Also a good fighting art and a good teacher teaches you to control distance and range.This makes it extremly difficult and dangerous to take him down.
please will all you grappeling fans please accept the logic of my argument,in the ring with the right rules fab.Real word no rules no chance.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

this guy has no idea of how to control distance or the grappler wouldnt get near him with wot is at the end of the day a rugby tackle.also if he was prepared to actually hurt him the grappler wouldnt be so happy to lunge in head first,one good elbow or knee would change his mind.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Indeed... and he is a master of his art....

sooo.....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Why are you people discussing this?

What is wrong with people now-a-days!!

You should all be out enjoying yourselves. Get yourselves up on a wind swept hill and fly a kite. Have an ice-cream.

Have any of you ever taken in the joy of a good game of Croquet? Or an all out game of table tennis.

Man the fun has been sucked out of life

edit on 30-6-2011 by TheButcher23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

SIr, what do you propose to do when an ice cream weilding thug drips some soft serve on your shoe? Are you going to just run away scared, or are you prepared to defend yourself with nap kan fu?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

My comment was in jest...!

However, most martial arts will neither help nor prevent an onslaught.

You can all learn whatever you all like.

I prefer what was taught in the years pre 2006 at Mayock, NC!! Till the rules changed and repackaged everything!! Not everyone who chooses a certain path is bad!!.

Isolation as best you can will be the best form of defense.

If no one can find you then no one can harm you. Go looking for trouble and you will die.

There will not be any SHTF scenario that you can control.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Indeed... and he is a master of his art....

sooo.....

If that is a master of his art,either the art is incomplete or his teacher's knowlege is incomplete or mabey whoever gradad him just hands out grades for attendance which most franchise systems do.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheButcher23

My comment was in jest...!

However, most martial arts will neither help nor prevent an onslaught.

You can all learn whatever you all like.

I prefer what was taught in the years pre 2006 at Mayock, NC!! Till the rules changed and repackaged everything!! Not everyone who chooses a certain path is bad!!.

Isolation as best you can will be the best form of defense.

If no one can find you then no one can harm you. Go looking for trouble and you will die.

There will not be any SHTF scenario that you can control.

Geeza i do agree that isolation is the safest option but unless you are invisable you are goimg to bump into someone,somewhere so it cant be a bad thing to be prepared.
Anyway if you read the original question and my answer you will see that i was just giving an honest and informed answer to an intereting question so do us all a favor-calm down-its all hyperthetical.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

wrestling kinda went the way of disco with the advancement of sharp pointy objects..

thats why people only do it with minimal clothing and covered in oil now.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Im not reading 14 pages of this thread.
I just want to say what the best martial art to learn when the SHTF is no martial art at all.
What do I mean by that? I simply mean that martial arts are just that, "an Art". Expecting them to function effectively in a real world situation is not great. Granted it would be better than knowing nothing but not much.

Then what? MMA? No. MMA is a competitive sport not a fighting system for life and death. It again would be better than knowing nothing, and only marginally better than martial arts.

What does that leave us with? Krav Maga? well,...yes and no. Krav Maga that you see in studios is very different than that which is taught to the IDF. Krav Maga is probably one of your better bets but learn to to differentiate the BS of Krav Maga from the reality. There is a lot that Krav Maga teaches that is ineffective. Not because it will not work in a life and death situation, but because an inexperienced person may apply a kick wrong wrong or throw an elbow from too far away.
But Krav Maga wins because it is of an offensive nature which means you bring the fight your opponent applying the victim mentality on him instead.

I am not going to mention my credentials or blow smoke up your ass with exploits that no one on here will give a damn about or believe anyway. It's your problem to figure out.
I have been in a field that required me to know hand to hand and I also taught it. One of the people I learned a lot from was Kelly McCann or you may know him by his other name Jim Grover he is kind of well known.

The guy is the real deal, what he teaches isn't pretty, but it works and it is no nonsense. I trained with him in a class back in 2002 believe it or not. Try getting some lessons from him. He teaches law enforcement and military as well as private executive security which is what I did. You can get your information from

Crucible Security

A lot of what he teaches has elements of Krav Maga melted into it. There are of course some things I am more comfortable doing than what he shows, but if you ever wanted to follow the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule he is the guy to learn from, though he is probably getting kind of old now.

Good luck with finding what you want.
edit on 1-7-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
Im not reading 14 pages of this thread.
I just want to say what the best martial art to learn when the SHTF is no martial art at all.
What do I mean by that? I simply mean that martial arts are just that, "an Art". Expecting them to function effectively in a real world situation is not great. Granted it would be better than knowing nothing but not much.

Nice atitude geeza .
I love the (im so right that i dont need to have the decency to read anyone elses opinion) atitude.
Carry on,thats the way to live your life.
Remember ITS ALL ABOUT YOU!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I agree as i said there is no such thing as a fair fight.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Your right. It is all about me.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

As long as your happy geeza then all is right in the world.Live long.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

spot on its all about your mind set.If you really want to win you have to be willing to do what it takes,no matter how repugnent.The only people who enjoy real violence are a bit sick,it sounds easy but any normal human being will probable be sick when they feel the pop of an eye bursting under there thumb.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join