It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Krav Maga is designed to kill in the shortest time possible. It is taught to the Israeli defence force.

Kyokushin is a hard discipline of karate that prides itself on being the toughest martial art. Translates to "The society of the ultimate truth."

Jeet Kune Do, which is Bruce Lee's system employs having no style and to use what works at the time. "Be like water."

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
You foolish young posters want to look for the best martial art, but do you think that you have the time to learn and practice it until you are able to use it effectively. Do Not just talk, use your brains and think!
Are you so stupid that you think you can learn it overnight and be able to use it.
edit on 29-5-2011 by 1Starman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

I, personally practice a mixture of the following arts (for the stated reasons):

-Maui Thai for outside striking and knees/elbows from inside a clinch.
-Traditional boxing - mostly for combinations and stand up defense.
-Scholastic style wrestling (I would have preferred Greco Roman, but I wrestled in high school and don't have a time machine)
-Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If it goes to the ground you gotta understand positional dominance, and it doesn't hurt to know how to choke people out, or injure their limbs. Although BJJ is great on mats, though, I'd be a little reluctant to use it on a hard surface, and certainly never try to use it if I'm outnumbered. When you're outnumbered, the ground is the LAST place you want to be.

It's best to know a combination of styles. I'd rather be decent at everything than amazing at any one style. The vast majority of the population doesn't train to fight, so you're likely to have an advantage anyhow. Being well rounded allows you to take the fight where you are most likely to have an advantage. If you are getting beat up on your feet, you can decide to take it down...and (since you're opponent is decent on the feet, he probably isn't well rounded enough to hang with you on the ground).

My best advice, though: avoid fighting whenever you can--particularly in crowds where you can get blind-sided or gang-beat. Also, knowing how to fight does very little to help you if your opponent has weapons. Despite what happens in the movies...very few people, no matter how skilled, can realistically win a fight where they are outnumbered or where their opponent has a weapon. Best rule of thumb... if you are alone, and see a crowd of youths or a potential threat in front of you, go a different way.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Brazilian Ju jitsu, gonna need to choke a MOFO out in a variety of ways.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Commando Krav Maga. Its an Israeli fighting system designed to use the simplest and quickest ways of disarming, disabling, maiming and potentially killing an assailant. It is a no bs technique developed by the Israelis through the many years of combat that the soldiers of the IDF and Mossad were involved in. It uses the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stoopid) and is VERY effective.

Commando Krav Maga is similar to Bruce Lee's principles that were to use that which is useful and discard the rest. There are no rules to Krav Maga and you don't have to be in any great shape to use it effectively. Of course training is essential. But just like learning to ride a bike, one you have the basics down, its not much to snap back into it when necessary.

Most Commando Krav Maga engagements last less that 10 seconds with the recipient of these techniques ending up in a very serious world of hurt.

Hope this helps.

CanadaJoe144

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I've been in battle, had close combat training for years, instructed it for a time ... and ll this isn't gonna be worth warm piss. You wanna do something? Band together and realize we need to absolutely change our governmental system. What we have does NOT work. But I tell you what ... some of you just go around and scream about birth certificates. That's really gonna fix the problem. Guess you showed them.

I should have gone to Canada instead of Vietnam.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
" MMA is very popular these days, so armchair fighters think it is the end all be all. It is not. It's a sport. There are rules that are taught at these schools that do not apply on the street. "

how it's not useful in the streets ??

MMA is a fighting sport is not fighting coreogrhaphy real strikes to the head and body are allowed, in addition there no counting if someone is knocked down like in boxing.. ,it's continues , it's ineclud striking,wrestling , bjj for submissions ,therefor MMA can be very effective for self defense ,some fighters talked about how they handled themseleves in street fights, not too long ago an MMA fighter arrested someone one who stole something

Wing chun doesn't have to be superior to MMA just because it's a traditional style .

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Kali's knife fighting hands down. I don't care what martial arts you practice Kali's knife fighting will kill you plain and simple. Don't believe me? Find a Kali expert and give him a knife and then try to take him down. You would be murdered on the spot!!! It's the real deal when it comes to real combat.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman
You foolish young posters want to look for the best martial art, but do you think that you have the time to learn and practice it until you are able to use it effectively. Do Not just talk, use your brains and think!
Are you so stupid that you think you can learn it overnight and be able to use it.
edit on 29-5-2011 by 1Starman because: (no reason given)

Even if they practiced any of these arts for a year or two. They wouldn't know how to defend their lives if it came to a kill kill situation on the street. A lot of skills tend to be forgotten when people are put in a life threatening situation.
In a dojo people are not put into a life threatening situation, they are mostly staged scenarios that are very easy to execute. The skill are often just repeated a few times before they move on to the next. When the practice is over people go home, and then they forget. Because they have been though to many moves that day.

When these people get to do free fight (sparing) in a dojo you see how poorly they are capable of executing what they have been thought.

And these people think that they would be capable of stopping a mad killer. These people are a danger to them selves, and many of them would be the first to die in a SHTF scenario.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Krav Maga seems to be most effective against all combatants.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Let's see. Drunken boxing if you want to get drunk and go home walking.

Ba Gua Zhang for one on one fights.

Akido for expert counter-striking

Kendo or Wu Shu for the best close range weapon fighting.

Ninjistsu for knowing where to hit.

Capoeira if your very flexible and like kicks

Dim Mak if you want to hit and run. Killing your opponent in one hit

Kenpo throws the person off balance the most

And Judo is best for throws.

Your choice, since there is an endless list of them but for only a small bit of the style's information click Here.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Whatever it is it doesn't have a name but it's taught in the most violent prisons world wide. It's not practiced in cushy gyms but claustrophobic concrete nightmares. Used by people who have never trained only fought for real on numerous occasions. What I'm saying is in a genuine chaotic scenario having that killer instinct is going to count for a lot.

Basically the best martial art is to be a total nutcase.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Hey guys i study this and i say russion sambo
but heres some youtube clips of a show i watch its called the human weapon

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec
Basically the best martial art is to be a total nutcase.

That is one way to put it.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

As a martial arts instructor myself I would recommend Muay thai, wing Chun, Kali, krav maga, and some akido/judo/jiujitsu,
Youcan learn the techniques fast as well as their philosophies. They key is doing self defense so it comes easily and natural with ou thinking and having fast reactions. This helps identify things faster and what not. What also helps with this is meditation.

Good luck and blessing upon you.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

shaolin monk could do the trick

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I also think some VHS movies like the Ninja Turtles trilogy and The Karate Kid (with Ralph Machio) are very instructive films. The Ninja turtles movies help if you have a giant shell stuck on your back or if someone tries to chop off your head you can just suck your head into your shell. And the Karate kid proves the concept of strength in numbers unless the wimp has a geriatric Japanese mentor.

PEACE

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The best form of defence is to avoid violence. If at all possible, refrain from fighting. Fighting the last resort. Just because it is a SHTF situation does not mean that everyone has to start kicking three bells out of each other.

However, should the chips be down, controlled agression, attack, attack attack, until the treat no longer exists. Do do not mean kill the enemy. The enemy is defeated when it is no longer able to pose a threat.

Looking like some hard nut on the street normally attracks violence. Keep a low profile and aviod confrontation.
Trust me, you will live longer.
edit on 30/5/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Spelling 1 out of 10 see me!!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
First if tshtf you should avoid any conflict as it will just not be worth it and you would have other things to worry about, like shelter and food and stuff like that. Only in situations were you have no choice but fight would martial arts be useful, and the word on the martial arts is, that there are no superior martial arts only superior martial artists, so the key words are practice, practice, and then more practice. And just in case you missed it the first time "practice'

Mixed martial arts would probably be the way to go for any fighting you would be doing, as it would teach you the basic concepts and fighting methods in a couple of different martial arts that you would need in any street fight you would be in basically.

First most fights in the streets with no rules would at most last about a minute, if even that long, and anybody over 230 pounds if he practices can ko most normal people with one punch to the jaw if its bare-fist, especially if they are not conditioned to take hits or are not focused, the jaw is not designed to get hit period. So no matter what you practice you have to condition your mind and body and fists and legs/shins to take hits as well as be in good condition with the right amount of strength, speed, and stamina, and always control your adrenaline as it will sap you especially if your are not used to fighting.

There are 3 areas of fighting that anybody should be training in I think. First is stand up fighting with your fists, elbows legs and knees, so styles such as boxing or muay thai or hardline karate styles should do the trick, and each has there strong points and week points.
Second no matter were they start most fights would end up in the clinch so clinch fighting such as dirty boxing and muay thai knees and elbows in the clinch are a must, as well as judo or sambo martial arts will help a lot.
Third after the clinch it will end up on the ground so wrestling or jujitsu skills are a must, if you cant fight on the ground your in big trouble.

Some things no one should do no matter how tough they are.

First never fight somebody who has a weapon such as a knife, if you can avoid it. But if you for some reason have no choice to fight somebody with a knife or other weapon never try to punch them or slug it out with them as you would in a normal fight, even if you are the greatest boxer in the world all it would take is one stab in the right place and you would be pretty much done.

The best thing to do with a dude with knives if it comes down to it, is attack whatever hand his knife is in, then grapple with him/his attack hand, take him to the ground, and break his hold on the knife, or keep it away from you with joint manipulations. Jujitsu was originally invented for such a thing. As samurai's who in wars or sword fights lost there sword, then the last thing they would want to do is try to punch the guy in the face or kick him when he has a sword, so they basically waited for them to come in for the attack then it was a do or die situation of getting there arm and sword or knife tangled up at grappling range or with joint manipulation holds on there weapon hand. Then taking them to the ground and breaking there limbs with jujitsu or just disarming them on the ground or in clinch. Basically control the weapon by controlling there arms and joints/body at all times is the first priority.

And against guns the same thing but only at close range with guns as in right in your face or withing a couple of feet at most, anything else would be suicide. But like I said it's better to avoid such things in the first place if you can.

And if you are fighting two guys at a time it would be best to not get tangled up or let them grab you so grappling is a no no, as in if you get tangled with one guy the other will have free reign to attack you. So either surprise/rush attack one and ko him as fast as you can then move on to the next one, or fight a defensive fight and never get backed into a corner by a group, always let them come to you so you can keep an eye on the others and try to fight them one at a time, and if they all come at the same time, back up or run, never fight two at the same time unless you are absolutely sure you can ko them with one hit anything else will just get you jumped from behind or over powered because of numbers. And if they both have knifes or guns then your chances are slim so give them what they want, or run like hell for cover or a weapon, or just to get the hell out of there.

The bas rutten defense system is good to keep in mind and practice if anybody attacks you.

edit on 30-5-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I'd go with Wing Chun and Jujitsu,two great fighting styles that would dominate in a close combat fighting...If it ever came down to it....Then again,forget fighting its modern times I'd go out in a blaze of glory!!! BOOM BOOM!!!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join