It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What do you reckon?
Wing chun?
Krav Magra?
Boxing?
Tai Chi?

Although USA and Canada can have guns, other countries wont have the luxury of having these to defend ourselves with. Assuming someone starts training now, which is the best to learn to protect our famillies and pets?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Muy Thai. Plain and simple.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Chop suey.. Other countries can have edged weapons right?

Deebo

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Street fighting. You're gonna have to have no mercy or no "pride" in winning the fight. If you have to bite the guy or jab your fingers in his eye sockets then that's what you're going to have to do. Almost any street fight involves idiots throwing huge haymakers or tackling you. If I were to pick, it would be some sort of judo/jeet kune do hybrid. You're going to be fighting close quarters and with judo, you will learn do use the opponents clothes for leverage.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I am also a fan of muy thai.

Krav magra would be good for disarming adversaries who carry a weapon yes?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Tai Ping
Hoo Flung Dung
Chin Pan Ze

To name a few.

edit on 28/5/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

I wont be trying to disarm anyone with a weapon. This is where you use mind over matter.

I choose muy thai because of its versatility vs multiple targets ie the thai clinche.

edit on 28-5-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

I would be a bit concerned about the biting, just in case they were carrying some nasty illness. Last thing I would want would be to get infected in the middle of the chaos with no proper medical care system.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I guess in the end, if it was truly a SHTF scenario, I'd still take my chances with an infection since the other person would most likely be trying to kill me. Either way, good point.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
No one style is complete. IMO BJJ is the most effective art for one on one combat compared to singular styles. Disagree? Watch the early UFCs.

However in street fighting situations I'd take a Judo guy over a BJJ guy any day. Toss someone on their head and even if the fight isn't one on one his buddies might think twice before they step in.

Stand up arts are great but if the guy is a good grappler you better knock him out on the way in or your done.

Mixing styles is the only way to be a complete fighter, you need enough wrestling to stay off your back, enough Jits to avoid being submitted and enough standup to make the other guy respect your hands.

+14 more 
posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
How about we all make an oath to take care of each other ? oppose to fighting our neighbors like TPTB want us to do

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
No martial art is better than another, they are the same. The only thing different is the person who is practicing and how good they are. It's no different than what gun is best, it is all based on the individual not the calibur or range of a gun.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WordPlayJAy

That would be great, but there will always be someone that will try and take advantage of the situation. Just think, the police etc are going to be stretched to the max. Hell, it may even be the police you end up having to defend yourself against.
Best to plan ahead I guess. Maybe some ferocious dogs as pets might be a good idea.

link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

Aikido, . Course I guess you could just go with ninjutsu. Either way I would thing an art form with weapons as opposed to not. Would depend on the sitx. Some are going to tell me Aikido is not with weapons and I would respond with The heck it isn't, weapons are sometimes applied with the form Look up the Jo, the Bokken, and the tanto. Staff, wooden sword and dagger respectively.
edit on 28-5-2011 by Therian because: (no reason given)

link   

ar15

baseball bat

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Basically the techniques used commonly in Mixed Martial Arts.

Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu. Anything else is just bonus IMO.

Krav Maga or anything the SEALS train is relevant to combat you may face in a real situation and in a life or death situation. Also weapon disarming is excellent to know.

Kendo or Kali - Although a weapons based martial arts they make use of staffs or sticks which can be formed out of anything.

Judo or Aikido - Very close counters can be easily manipulated with a good toss, trip or take down.

And learn as much joint manipulation and submission techniques, escapes, reversals,sweeps etc because you aren't always gonna have someone relative size or strength to yourself so having a strong bottom position is crucial if someone larger is going to mount you (sounds dirty i know)

edit on 28-5-2011 by eleventhsun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
finally my kind of thread!

as someone who practices martial arts I can safely say no one style is good enough. with the exception being..

JEET KUNE DO, but it takes the best of the martial arts and combines them into one style (no style)

you can keep any attacker at a perfect distance, they could never hit you if your face is always 1 centimetre away from their fist. it's an exact science and takes awhile to learn but it is extremely handy.

the counters you learn are incredible. the moment your attacker lunges at you, you can strike in their moment of attack at their moment of vulnerability.

you learn to act like water, when they attack you can detract and morph into a movement that allows you to strike, and when you strike you strike like a raging river, just flowing right into the movement.

theres no limitation in jeet kune do except which you place on yourself.

thats my personal opinion. but I can lead you towards more traditional arts.

Muy thai has it's advantages such as elbows and knees
wing chun with it's energetic kicks
taekwondo with it's high kicks and side

but really you can learn the best from each of those styles and create your own.

another interesting way to learn is to play mortal kombat/tekken/street fighter and study each characters style against each others. mortal kombat armageddon is the ultimate game for this. they have over 30+ styles and you can watch them interact with each other. it's really interesting, can take the best from each one and never really have a definable style that your opponent can defeat.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

another interesting way to learn is to play mortal kombat/tekken/street fighter and study each characters style against each others. mortal kombat armageddon is the ultimate game for this. they have over 30+ styles and you can watch them interact with each other. it's really interesting, can take the best from each one and never really have a definable style that your opponent can defeat.

Seriously??

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Many choices!
Being most familiar(classes, study and husband's training from his class experience, etc) with Kung Fu; I'd suggest Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do...if you're to pick Ta Chi Chuan, use the Wu form as it's more meant for "fighting" as opposed to exercise and slow movement, but is about defense. I suggest the first two over the last.

Akido, which I'd say is beneficial, disarm, fight multi opponents, etc.

Savate(French) and Krav Maga(Isralia), may be good for some as it's military.

Nin Jitsu, helps with wilderness survival, etc.

Muay Thai I agree on also, to know Muay Thai is to know against(many people train with it)

Also, depends on the enemy, of whose causing the SHTF. Be familiar with their style if any, or similar. May be best to customize to what you can access, even participate in, etc, as there is a martial art for everyone.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Yes Bruce Lee had some serious intellect added to his art. Wonderful techniques.

Why I suggest something like Muay Thai or Kickboxing over Karate or Taekwondo (having trained in Karate, MT and Kickboxing) Karate and TKD are "arts" while Muay Thai and Kickboxing are combat sports. The second you start MT or KB you are hitting things, hitting bags and pads. You also learn the intense conditioning and how to take a hit, which I never learned in Karate. We mostly throw strikes in the air.

Good thread btw, love it !

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join